[Brazelton] Ruth Bader Ginsburg

It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year. There is a long tradition that you don’t do this in an election year.
- Ted Cruz (2016)

We are one vote away from losing our fundamental constitutional liberties. I believe @realDonaldTrump should nominate a successor next week and the Senate should take up and confirm that successor before Election Day.
- Ted Cruz (2020)

Justice Melania.
Justice Barr.
Justice Cruz.
Justice... Sigh. I can think of so many horrible things.

Will we need a separate thread in the politics subforum? I think we do.
Also, this could very well be an early October surprise, as especially if they postpone till after the election, this will motivate millions of evangelicals who may have been unsure about voting, to go and vote for the literal anti-Christ.
Political ads will ALL be about the baby-eating black monster Biden would place there.

If she died under president Obama, or H Clinton, or Biden, she'd be celebrated as an influential justice, a big name, hero of feminism, etc.
Now that she died under Trump, it's... Well, yeah. Her death is very likely to be the #1 important topic this election, even over Covid19 - especially for "real" conservatives and evangelicals. The Never Trumpers and the ones who didn't like either choice.
Sad for her, but true.

They'll have to get the floor, first.

Dammit, why can't it be McConnell who gets mandibular cancer or something like that? SO unfair.

--Patrick

I'm waiting for it to be Ivanka. But it'll be someone much more horrific.
I’m waiting for him to nominate Donald Trump himself “...in an attempt to unify the Executive and Legislative branches,” or some other such BS.

—Patrick

I’m waiting for him to nominate Donald Trump himself “...in an attempt to unify the Executive and Legislative branches,” or some other such BS.

—Patrick
I'm pretty sure there's no law saying Ivanka can't be president while Kushner is Justice. And stuff.

Dave

Staff member
We need to vote both houses blue and the white house. Then we can expand the court. But if we lose any of the three...Well, it's been a nice experiment while it lasted.

I honestly believe the US as we know it - a representative democracy - will be no more. The new court will be beholden to eradicating rights for women, LGBTQ, and people of color. They will also come down heavily if not completely in favor of religious bigotry, a merging of church and state (christian, of course), and corporations.
Damn I hate being right.

President Obama has released a statement. Here is an excerpt:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg fought to the end, through her cancer, with unwavering faith in our democracy and its ideals. That’s how we remember her. But she also left instructions for how she wanted her legacy to be honored.

Four and a half years ago, when Republicans refused to hold a hearing or an up-or-down vote on Merrick Garland, they invented the principle that the Senate shouldn’t fill an open seat on the Supreme Court before a new president was sworn in.

A basic principle of the law — and of everyday fairness — is that we apply rules with consistency, and not based on what’s convenient or advantageous in the moment. The rule of law, the legitimacy of our courts, the fundamental workings of our democracy all depend on that basic principle.
—Patrick