[NBA] Sacramento Kings sold to Seattle investment group

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I thought it was when they de-camped from Chandler and instead of flying to Sea-Tac, they flew in to Milwaukee Mitchell?
Eh, whichever. Bus, plane; Pittsburgh, Milwaukee. Either way, Seattle had a baseball team when they left camp, and didn't hours later.

I also understand the clubhouse guy for the Pilots was told to get two sets of logos ready: one that said "PILOTS" on the chest, and one that said "BREWERS" on them. That may be why the first edition of the Brewers uniforms were so odd looking.

I also understand the clubhouse guy for the Pilots was told to get two sets of logos ready: one that said "PILOTS" on the chest, and one that said "BREWERS" on them. That may be why the first edition of the Brewers uniforms were so odd looking.
The 'e' in Brewers was left over from the "Seattle" on the road unis. :)

So, yeah... we're gonna have to ask the city of Seattle to stop trying to buy teams named "The Kings," it just doesn't go smoothly.

See, I still maintain that Seattle would have kept their last team if more than 2k people went to the games on average in the last year or so that they were here; so all of the whining by "fans" that OKC stole the team, and that Howard Schultz is a horrible person for selling the team, and that Howard Stern is a hypocrite for allowing the moving of the Sonics but not the moving of the Kings is - while not surprising - incredibly amusing to me.

This is not a city that has die-hard fan bases that keep supporting teams while they slump. Hell, the Mariners just got done beating the Orioles in a 6 - 2 game that should have been a lot of fun to be at (lead off homer by Saunders in his first game back from the DL, complete game performance by the Mariners' pitcher, two or three double plays turned by our infielders, some good hits with runners in scoring position, including a triple by our 3rd baseman), and because the team's been struggling, the stadium was nearly empty. The Seahawks have a lot of fans at games now, but they've been making the playoffs for the past several seasons - they never had this kind of home-game support when they were putting up losing seasons; and the Sonics fans were the same way. Key Arena was packed to the rafters when the Sonics were winning, but they had trouble keeping it from looking completely empty in lean years, and it only holds 17k people. I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of the fans who actually attended games during the last couple years before the sale were fans of the visiting teams.

I seriously doubt that Seattle is going to get the Kings, and even with all of the hype surrounding the deal and all of the political talk of how important having an NBA team would be for the city, I'm not really all that certain that the city deserves to get one back right now.

Katz group here used the thread of moving the Oilers to Seattle if they didn't get a fully tax-payer paid for arena. Emptiest threat ever. Of course Edmonton capitulated.

And now every weak team in the NHL will be pegged as being on the road to Seattle.

(Looks over at those teams in Florida)

Katz group here used the thread of moving the Oilers to Seattle if they didn't get a fully tax-payer paid for arena. Emptiest threat ever. Of course Edmonton capitulated.
I almost feel a little bit bad for the investment group, after they bought up all of the land in the SoDo district for their new arena, managed to rush it through the city and county councils, got approval (without having to go through environmental reviews), shut down the port's lawsuits over said missing environmental reviews, and shelled out tens of millions of dollars as a deposit on the team; but only almost. They really should have known what they were getting into before laying down that kind of cash and using up all of that political capital.

And now every weak team in the NHL will be pegged as being on the road to Seattle.

(Looks over at those teams in Florida)
The Oilers suck, but the attendance does not. You won't find many NHL teams who can fill an arena like Edmonton.

I wish this would all just end already, I just want to know what's going to happen -_-

The Maloof's are so ridiculously against selling to Sacramento, I can't understand it

And the vote is in. 22 votes against, 8 votes for. The Sacramento Kings will not be moving to Seattle. Commissioner Stern will be having a talk with the Maloofs in the coming week to... convince them... that they're happy to accept the (smaller) offer from the city of Sacramento and their ownership group, instead of the larger offer from Seattle, as he says that today's vote has clearly indicated that the Seattle ownership group is not allowed to purchase the Sacramento Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.