Sam Raimi and WarCraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

If the animation is same or better than the cinematic in WoW (which more than likely be better and of course longer) It will be AWESOME. I would go see it. I don't know why they wouldn't go pure CGI. Is it because they (the cgi) won't show proper emotion? facial expression? I have seen some really cool CGI. I always wonder why some really want "live action".

Avatar: the last air bender comes to mind.

C

Chazwozel

Here's hoping that they stick to the Warcraft III storylines. Even better would be to do a movie of the very first War when orcs came to Azeroth.

Again, if you didn't catch it in the article, they're going with an "Ultimate" version of the story, not a "line for line" translation.

My preference would be for the movie to follow the storyline of "The Last Guardian." It roughly follows the events of WarCraft I so it chronologically is the beginning, and includes characters from both sides.

C

Chibibar

Zappit said:
Are we getting SP3-style dancing in this flick, or will it be true to the game?
hehe.. they can add "dancing" in the outtakes :)

like DVD/Blu-Ray Extras!! ;)

Chibibar said:
If the animation is same or better than the cinematic in WoW (which more than likely be better and of course longer) It will be AWESOME. I would go see it. I don't know why they wouldn't go pure CGI. Is it because they (the cgi) won't show proper emotion? facial expression? I have seen some really cool CGI. I always wonder why some really want "live action".

I don't think Blizzard's cutscene department would be capable of making a full feature-length movie. The sort of animation they do takes a very long time, and is why the newer cutscenes seen in WoW are of the in-game-engine sort.

C

Chibibar

Ravenpoe said:
Chibibar said:

I don't think Blizzard's cutscene department would be capable of making a full feature-length movie. The sort of animation they do takes a very long time, and is why the newer cutscenes seen in WoW are of the in-game-engine sort.
True, but since it is going to be a production film, I'm sure outside folks (outside of Bliz) can still do some cool CGI stuff with the guidance of Bliz. I would love to see a full length CGI WarCraft Film. It would be easier "transition" I guess. Live action is harder to pull off.

Just so everyone knows, went back to my old sources to refresh my information on the movie.

The storyline is going to be set before WoW, but after WarCraft 3. Right now interviews have been saying that it will be set a year before vanilla. This means No Draenei, No Blood Elves in the Horde, No Outland, etc...

It is not going to be a LOTR-eque film that revolves around a group of adventurers, instead going more to the roots of WarCraft and being about war between factions on a larger scale. The rumored storyline is going to be from the point of view of a human character, as he gets swept into racial tensions between the two sides and ultimatly reaches a climax with a massive battle. The Horde are not going to be presented as villians, but instead just another side in the conflict. Metzen said in an old interview that his heart belongs to the Horde, so even if the Alliance is getting the focus the Horde will still get a lot of love and not just be treated as fodder.

Also, like I said before, they are going to consider this an "Ultimate" version of WarCraft. It will have it's own continuity outside of the games, comics, etc... and thus events can happen in the movie outside of events that happen in the games, like the rumored massive battle that will happen between the factions. The only things that will be the same are the setting, and we will see cameos from characters like Thrall, Cairne, etc... but it can diverge if needed.

C

Chibibar

ScytheRexx said:
Just so everyone knows, went back to my old sources to refresh my information on the movie.

The storyline is going to be set before WoW, but after WarCraft 3. Right now interviews have been saying that it will be set a year before vanilla. This means No Draenei, No Blood Elves in the Horde, No Outland, etc...

It is not going to be a LOTR-eque film that revolves around a group of adventurers, instead going more to the roots of WarCraft and being about war between factions on a larger scale. The rumored storyline is going to be from the point of view of a human character, as he gets swept into racial tensions between the two sides and ultimatly reaches a climax with a massive battle. The Horde are not going to be presented as villians, but instead just another side in the conflict. Metzen said in an old interview that his heart belongs to the Horde, so even if the Alliance is getting the focus the Horde will still get a lot of love and not just be treated as fodder.

Also, like I said before, they are going to consider this an "Ultimate" version of WarCraft. It will have it's own continuity outside of the games, comics, etc... and thus events can happen in the movie outside of events that happen in the games, like the rumored massive battle that will happen between the factions. The only things that will be the same are the setting, and we will see cameos from characters like Thrall, Cairne, etc... but it can diverge if needed.
I think it is better this way. That way for those who didn't play the game won't be "spoiled" by the movie.

ScytheRexx said:
The Horde are not going to be presented as villians, but instead just another side in the conflict. Metzen said in an old interview that his heart belongs to the Horde, so even if the Alliance is getting the focus the Horde will still get a lot of love and not just be treated as fodder.
Thank God. Even though my current mains are alliance, I'm so a Hordey in my heart.

ScytheRexx said:
The Horde are not going to be presented as villians, but instead just another side in the conflict. Metzen said in an old interview that his heart belongs to the Horde, so even if the Alliance is getting the focus the Horde will still get a lot of love and not just be treated as fodder.
FOR THE HORDE!

I'm looking more and more forward to this movie.

Sounds cool even though I don't play the game. To bad they passed on Uwe Boll though... now THAT would have been epic.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I loved WC I, II and III, and have seen some stuff in WoW I loved, but also stuff I really didn't like. And I don't play WoW so I say the whole movie should be done top-down :-P

L

LordRavage

Espy said:
Sounds cool even though I don't play the game. To bad they passed on Uwe Boll though... now THAT would have been epic.
Espy...I like you. I think your a fine person.....but after that comment...I wanted to gut you. :tongue:

C

Chibibar

Bubble181 said:
I'm cautiously optimistic. I loved WC I, II and III, and have seen some stuff in WoW I loved, but also stuff I really didn't like. And I don't play WoW so I say the whole movie should be done top-down :-P
I would settle for bird-eye view :)

My mother alerted me today that Sam Raimi is directing the movie of "my favorite game," World of Warriors.

Ravenpoe said:
To be fair, that makes a little more sense than warcraft.
Especially since she played City of Heroes, so I can see where the next game would be World of Warriors.

I still found it adorable. And impressive that she remembered my love for Mr. Raimi.

Wish I could get her playing an MMO again, though.

Shannow

Staff member
There is a problem with this (and I am sorry Scy, for saying that there is a problem. Dont worry, you can go back to blowing Metzen immediately, it isnt a problem with wow). And it has nothing to do with Sam Rami's style, etc. it is the fact that him directing pushes the movie out further. The next year and a half at least will have him concentrating on SM4, and giving him this movie after. Kinda sucks that it may push the movie back further.

My roommate and I talked about this and he brought up a good point.

Does Raimi have any epic shot experience? I mean, Alliance VS Horde is going to be like, LOTR scale epic. This is a man who loves to show women screaming into the camera and follow-the-slithery-thingy shots. I love his work but can he handle something of this scale?

Shannow said:
There is a problem with this (and I am sorry Scy, for saying that there is a problem. Dont worry, you can go back to blowing Metzen immediately, it isnt a problem with wow). And it has nothing to do with Sam Rami's style, etc. it is the fact that him directing pushes the movie out further. The next year and a half at least will have him concentrating on SM4, and giving him this movie after. Kinda sucks that it may push the movie back further.
He's also working on the:
Evil Dead Remake:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434020/

Evil Dead IV:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/

Spider-Man V:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300860/
CynicismKills said:

Does Raimi have any epic shot experience? I mean, Alliance VS Horde is going to be like, LOTR scale epic. This is a man who loves to show women screaming into the camera and follow-the-slithery-thingy shots. I love his work but can he handle something of this scale?
If this is "World of Warcraft" the movie, there won't be an "epic Alliance Vs Horde", if it's "Warcraft" the Movie, then maybe.

Yeah, exactly. If it's character-centric, maybe one or two people, then he'll do great. Otherwise I'm skeptical, as normally his stuff (that I've seen, I might be wrong) is smaller scale.

P

Philosopher B.

Holy crap is there really going to be an Evil Dead IV. I would shit my pants to see an Evil Dead movie in theatres. I mean shit I was 5 when the last one came out.

Shannow said:
(and I am sorry Scy, for saying that there is a problem. Dont worry, you can go back to blowing Metzen immediately, it isnt a problem with wow)
Your potshot was more amusing then insulting, nice try though. :pirate:

if this is "World of Warcraft" the movie, there won't be an "epic Alliance Vs Horde", if it's "Warcraft" the Movie, then maybe.
They have already said they are going to base this more on war then adventuring, so that pushes me more towards being based on "WarCraft" rather then "WoW".

ScytheRexx said:
Shannow said:
(and I am sorry Scy, for saying that there is a problem. Dont worry, you can go back to blowing Metzen immediately, it isnt a problem with wow)
Your potshot was more amusing then insulting, nice try though. :pirate:

if this is "World of Warcraft" the movie, there won't be an "epic Alliance Vs Horde", if it's "Warcraft" the Movie, then maybe.
They have already said they are going to base this more on war then adventuring, so that pushes me more towards being based on "WarCraft" rather then "WoW".
Then I'm more worried than excited. I'm curious to see how Raimi handles something on a more epic scale, which (I assume) a Warcraft movie would be.

ScytheRexx said:
Or it could be H+A vs Evil thing, so still "WoW"

CynicismKills said:

Did Peter Jackson before Lord of the Rings? He was that guy who made splatterfest horror comedies and the Frighteners before Lord of the Rings.

B

Biardo

yeah guys it's a good director give him some credit

before sm he hadn't done a comic movie either and that turned out OK

Frankie said:
CynicismKills said:

Did Peter Jackson before Lord of the Rings? He was that guy who made splatterfest horror comedies and the Frighteners before Lord of the Rings.
That was my exact thought when reading that post.

CynicismKills said:
Does Raimi have any epic shot experience?
Army of Darkness wasn't bad with that back in 1993 and I'd wager he's learned a bit since then. Plus I'm fairly sure he'll have a kickass cinematographer and second-unit photography, so this is the least of my worries.

I don't HAVE any worries.

I don't care when it comes out.

I just...want...to see this. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.