Seperation of Church and State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? We have plates for hunters, fisherman, general wildlife, saving the environment, military support, etc. I don't see how catering to religious people is a big deal. If people from a religion want one made with their religious symbol who cares? I don't see how the judge viewed this as "state support" of religion. I see it as "state cashing in on someone's religious beliefs". States are poor right now, go get 'em I say.

Dave

Staff member
Really? We have plates for hunters, fisherman, general wildlife, saving the environment, military support, etc. I don't see how catering to religious people is a big deal. If people from a religion want one made with their religious symbol who cares? I don't see how the judge viewed this as "state support" of religion. I see it as "state cashing in on someone's religious beliefs". States are poor right now, go get 'em I say.
This is not a personalized plate - it's a state issued plate.

Is this not correct? If the person also has the ability to pick the Star of David or other religious symbols I would have no issue with this.

But if the cross is the only one allowed to be picked the judge was right.

C

Chibibar

cause there is a specific clause of separation of church and state. If you drive around with those plates people may think that S.C. supports Christianity. (yea people are stupid) or at least make people THINK S.C. supports it. Which is a no no.

There isn't anything in the constitution regarding separation of fisherman and state (etc etc).

Dave: from what I understand (and a little looking around) I think that is only symbol so far, hence the nix.

Eh, fair enough I suppose. I don't see how people could see it as state supported religion if they make it available to people of all faiths (which the article didn't say if that was an option or not, but it SHOULD have been). Sounds like a good money maker to me.

C

Chibibar

I usually come down saying that it's \"freedom of religion\" not \"FROM religion,\" but if christian iconography was the only thing offered, I tend to think it's the right thing to nix it.

Besides, I'm of the opinion that vanity plates are for dinguses anyway.

Besides 2.0, it's not like you can't get a license plate CADDY/FRAME that says whatever you want it to, from Hail Satan to Praise Jesus.
yea. those are outside of the government so you can have anything you want there.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Honestly, I don't even know why there should be personalized plates at all, it seems it could make reading them harder.

Also, I don't think we have this in Brazil at all.

Eh, fair enough I suppose. I don't see how people could see it as state supported religion if they make it available to people of all faiths (which the article didn't say if that was an option or not, but it SHOULD have been). Sounds like a good money maker to me.
It's a state endorsement of religion because, while everybody may be able to purchase it, not everybody is a Christian (obvious answer). The state enabled something that caters towards a specific religion, while leaving others out. While this case may be fairly innocuous (I doubt anybody's going to start screaming 'religious persecution!' from this), I think the judge made the right decision.

It's a state endorsement of religion because, while everybody may be able to purchase it, not everybody is a Christian (obvious answer). [/QUOTE]

I think we have different ideas of what it takes for the state to actually ENDORSE a religion, but in today's hypersensitive world I suppose most would agree with you.
Granted if the state wants to make money off of religion by offering license plates like this is just needs to be smart enough to realize it needs to offer at least a few different options in order to play it safe.

C

Chibibar

It's a state endorsement of religion because, while everybody may be able to purchase it, not everybody is a Christian (obvious answer). [/QUOTE]

I think we have different ideas of what it takes for the state to actually ENDORSE a religion, but in today's hypersensitive world I suppose most would agree with you.
Granted if the state wants to make money off of religion by offering license plates like this is just needs to be smart enough to realize it needs to offer at least a few different options in order to play it safe.[/QUOTE]

At LEAST top 20 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.