Silent Bob is, well, fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chazwozel

Kevin Smith is fat, but he's not a walrus either. He's just an extra large guy. I can't see why they threw him off the plane.

Kevin SMith's weight seems to really fluctuate. I've seen him look only mildly overweight, and I've seen him be HUGE. But I've never seen him at a level where I'd say he'd need two airline seats. Seems more than a little out of line to me.

C

Chibibar

you know. I have the iphone app. He is not THAT fat. I have seen some really fat people out there that may require to have two seats, but I don't see how Kevin Smith would require two seats especially if he could normally fly on another plane without purchasing two tickets.

What's he really pissed about, and rightly so, was that he was allowed to purchase his ticket, board the plane, sit down, buckle up.... and THEN was ejected. If he's so effing fat why did they sell him only one ticket to begin with? Also, the rule is that the arm rests have to be able to go down. Kevin smith isn't fat enough to prevent the arm rests from coming down.

C

Chibibar

What's he really pissed about, and rightly so, was that he was allowed to purchase his ticket, board the plane, sit down, buckle up.... and THEN was ejected. If he's so effing fat why did they sell him only one ticket to begin with? Also, the rule is that the arm rests have to be able to go down. Kevin smith isn't fat enough to prevent the arm rests from coming down.
Bingo... My wife and I are following his tweet. He is pissed because of just that. he was able to go through all the checkpoint and finally gotten to his seat and buckle up WITHOUT extenders.

Hell, I'll be pissed too.

They can't see how fat you are unless you buy at the ticket counter, and ticket counter clerks are not typically the ones who make those judgment calls. It's not until passengers are inside the plane that attendants are able to make such decisions, like luggage that must be checked in or moving people around to other seats. Though if he could fit in the seat, there shouldn't be an issue, or at least make him buy the second seat instead of kicking him off the plane. Here's another story of Southwest attendants making a judgment call that didn't make much sense http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/20638479

They can't see how fat you are unless you buy at the ticket counter, and ticket counter clerks are not typically the ones who make those judgment calls. It's not until passengers are inside the plane that attendants are able to make such decisions, like luggage that must be checked in or moving people around to other seats. Though if he could fit in the seat, there shouldn't be an issue, or at least make him buy the second seat instead of kicking him off the plane. Here's another story of Southwest attendants making a judgment call that didn't make much sense http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/20638479
It doesn't really help that girls cause that she flashed panty to the entire viewing public when she sat down on the show.

figmentPez

Staff member
Southwest responds:

Mr. Smith originally purchased two Southwest seats on a flight from Oakland to Burbank - as he’s been known to do when traveling on Southwest. He decided to change his plans and board an earlier flight to Burbank, which technically means flying standby. As you may know, airlines are not able to clear standby passengers until all Customers are boarded. When the time came to board Mr. Smith, we had only a single seat available for him to occupy. Our pilots are responsible for the Safety and comfort of all Customers on the aircraft and therefore, made the determination that Mr. Smith needed more than one seat to complete his flight. Our Employees explained why the decision was made, accommodated Mr. Smith on a later flight, and issued him a $100 Southwest travel voucher for his inconvenience.

C

Chibibar

Southwest responds:

Mr. Smith originally purchased two Southwest seats on a flight from Oakland to Burbank - as he’s been known to do when traveling on Southwest. He decided to change his plans and board an earlier flight to Burbank, which technically means flying standby. As you may know, airlines are not able to clear standby passengers until all Customers are boarded. When the time came to board Mr. Smith, we had only a single seat available for him to occupy. Our pilots are responsible for the Safety and comfort of all Customers on the aircraft and therefore, made the determination that Mr. Smith needed more than one seat to complete his flight. Our Employees explained why the decision was made, accommodated Mr. Smith on a later flight, and issued him a $100 Southwest travel voucher for his inconvenience.
but the flight wasn't even full!!!!!

He put up a new Smodcast spending an hour ranting about this. He sounds pretty in the right, and I gotta say, I agree with what he's saying here.

I remember seeing him post in a blog or something a few years back how he realised he needed to lose weight when he broke a toilet by sitting on it...

Anyone got any recent pictures?!

GasBandit

Staff member
Southwest fails at basic reason. If he's seated, buckled in, armrests down... it's too late to charge him for a second seat. That the way they sell tickets didn't let them "appraise" his stature earlier is *their* bad, not his.

On a related note, does anybody else think "online check-in" is just asinine? If they're going to do that, they may as well do away with the whole check-in procedure.

C

Chibibar

Southwest fails at basic reason. If he's seated, buckled in, armrests down... it's too late to charge him for a second seat. That the way they sell tickets didn't let them "appraise" his stature earlier is *their* bad, not his.

On a related note, does anybody else think "online check-in" is just asinine? If they're going to do that, they may as well do away with the whole check-in procedure.
I find it interesting that the article said that ticket agent does not have the "right" to determine if a person is fat or not, but I believe that the ticket agent should be train and make that determination. I mean at least you haven't "taken" their money yet.

I didn't think he was that big. I've sat next to some monster-sized folks on planes. I don't know why they didn't get charged for two.

I'm 6'2" and and about 190 lbs, and I feel too big for airline seats. I think there's a problem with the seats in general. However, there certainly are folks who take up more than one seat, and should be charged for it.

Oh totally, i was just wondering where he's at weight wise now... last pics of him i saw he was huge, but that was years ago...

Our pilots are responsible for the Safety and comfort of all Customers on the aircraft and therefore, made the determination that Mr. Smith needed more than one seat to complete his flight.
I LOLed hard at this. Some air pilots can make emergency landings in rivers without losing one person, other pilots can't take off without an overweight person in check.

C

Chibibar

Our pilots are responsible for the Safety and comfort of all Customers on the aircraft and therefore, made the determination that Mr. Smith needed more than one seat to complete his flight.
I LOLed hard at this. Some air pilots can make emergency landings in rivers without losing one person, other pilots can't take off without an overweight person in check.
but but.... if there was TWO seat side by side, it is ok. *eyerolls*

Dave

Staff member
It's a matter of weight ratios. The fuel costs a lot and they know exactly how much weight they can carry to efficiently get to their destination. And since they don't know exactly which pieces of luggage weights too much they take off the people who are overweight. Personally I think it's bullshit. If you listen to Kevin's podcast he mentions that in the next flight he got on they did the saem thing to a lady sitting next to him - with an empty seat in between them!! They made her get up, walk off and when they let her come back she had to ask Kevin if it was okay that she may have to use some of the empty seat in between them for which he paid. He says he was mad at first but this set him off and is what caused him to start his Tweets/Blog/Podcast, etc.

Unless the plane is completely filled up and there's literally no space for an overweight person, there's no reason whatsoever for "safety" to be a concern. They have seat belt extenders, even.

If you listen to Kevin's podcast he mentions that in the next flight he got on they did the saem thing to a lady sitting next to him - with an empty seat in between them!! They made her get up, walk off and when they let her come back she had to ask Kevin if it was okay that she may have to use some of the empty seat in between them for which he paid. He says he was mad at first but this set him off and is what caused him to start his Tweets/Blog/Podcast, etc.
There you go! If you have to buy a second seat, find another fat person and split the cost for a third seat, taking 1.5 seats each.

C

Chibibar

It's a matter of weight ratios. The fuel costs a lot and they know exactly how much weight they can carry to efficiently get to their destination. And since they don't know exactly which pieces of luggage weights too much they take off the people who are overweight. Personally I think it's bullshit. If you listen to Kevin's podcast he mentions that in the next flight he got on they did the saem thing to a lady sitting next to him - with an empty seat in between them!! They made her get up, walk off and when they let her come back she had to ask Kevin if it was okay that she may have to use some of the empty seat in between them for which he paid. He says he was mad at first but this set him off and is what caused him to start his Tweets/Blog/Podcast, etc.
I think it is total BS too. What is the weight limit per chair? maybe if they put down how much weight each chair can handle. I am not thin, but not overly obese either. I weight 235 lbs right now and can sit in an airplane (as of Oct 2009) with room to spare on each side of the arm rest.

GasBandit

Staff member
On anything larger than a 727, weight ratios are of limited factor. If the guy was flying a puddlejumper turboprop, yeah that might be a safety issue... but a full sized passenger jet just means they use more fuel.

Dave

Staff member
On anything larger than a 727, weight ratios are of limited factor. If the guy was flying a puddlejumper turboprop, yeah that might be a safety issue... but a full sized passenger jet just means they use more fuel.
That's what I said. It has to do with fuel costs. If the added weight means $ spent > money gained by ticket sales, then take off a fatty.

A fatty named Kevin.

C

Chibibar

personally I worry more about the CARRY ON since airlines limit 1 luggage or less (via charging per luggage) I had help one day to put on the overhead bin. I can usually life 50-70lbs bag no problem, but this one was HEAVY. If they are worry about a SINGLE overweight person, the airline should worry about the 20+ overweight carry on that are store in the overhead bin.

This reminds me of a book I read once, Fat by Rob Grant. It's set in the near future where fat people face heavy discrimination. In the first few paragraphs he explains that it began with the airlines. They started charging passengers by weight, and when other industries saw that they could get away with it, it spelled the end for a comfortable life for 'fat' people.

The book is hillarious, and raises some interesting points. Entirely irreverent, though.

Dave

Staff member
personally I worry more about the CARRY ON since airlines limit 1 luggage or less (via charging per luggage) I had help one day to put on the overhead bin. I can usually life 50-70lbs bag no problem, but this one was HEAVY. If they are worry about a SINGLE overweight person, the airline should worry about the 20+ overweight carry on that are store in the overhead bin.[/QUOTE]

It's too difficult to tell how heavy a bag is just by looking at it. A fat person, though, is pretty easy to spot. Or hide behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.