Export thread

Site of the Site

Dave

Dave

Okay, so every once in a while I get a wild hair and check out what's happening on the site. It contains lots of statistics and stuff like that and I use it to try and come up with some sort of ideas.

The headline here is...Halforums is floundering. Our site visits are down 44.34%. Unique user visits are down 62.04%.

Here's a list of problems we've had:
  • No direction. We have a history, but that history is the only thing holding us together. We're bringing in no new people.
  • No new people. First, people have no reason to come here. Second, when new people do come here we chase them away.
  • Moderation. We put in place some moderation and for the most part we've been very consistent at it. Yes, we've had some miscues, but we have tried. Some have said that the moderation is at fault because the place feels somehow constrictive and they are not as free to talk. Some have really liked the moderation rules.
So what do we do? We've tried to partner with some people before, but whether through my own inaction or other outside influences, we've been unable to capitalize on these partnerships. I'll admit I've probably been too narrow-focused with webcomics, but I figured that since that's where we came from it would be a natural fit. Supervillainous is doing great, but they get posted on another site so we couldn't use that.

So here's me, asking you for your views. We can't keep going the way we are and remain viable. And if the last few days has taught me anything, it's that this group needs to stay together. I can't imagine losing touch with you guys and you helped me through a tough time with my dad.

So hit me with your ideas!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I really don't see much of a way to bring in new people. We're all doing word of mouth, but without a big content creator or something else to bring people in, we're just going to be a general purpose forum. We need content, period.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Second, when new people do come here we chase them away.
I'm gonna argue that people have gotten better about this.

We're not going to spontaneously be the forum of something besides ourselves. That's not how forum creation works. Usually there's a thing, and then people want to discuss that thing, hence a forum. You'd really need to latch onto something pre-existing. The trouble there is that there isn't one big thing we all talk about, same reason we were cut loose years back.

If it's about keeping this group together, the only thing I could think of would be a mass forum move to the forum of something that already exists. We wouldn't have control, but we'd be together. I doubt anyone wants to do--we've been here a while, we have control after all, and on some level there's a comradery people want to maintain that unfortunately is part of the reason it seems unwelcoming to newcomers even if no one here is antagonistic with them. Entering a new forum would mean lots of people who don't share our history--people can decide whether that'd be good or bad.

Another option is to re-gear the forum toward something popular that enough of us would discuss to be worthwhile. But I don't think we have anything like that and we'd still be competing with other discussion forums for that thing (Twilight, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Zelda, Halo, etc.).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What I don't understand is that we've had new people appear sometimes. I've seen new people post on the Introduce Yourself thread, but then the don't appear again after that. Are we scaring those people away?

But I think the biggest problem is that the forum isn't really associated with anyone or anything. We're a forum, but forums are usually an extra on websites. We're like Giant in the Playground, but without a webcomic. The majority of us, of course, started with PvP. We're an offhshoot, but without anything of our own.

If I were a highly successful and famous writer, I'd totally use this place for my forums. But I'm not. :(

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I come here because y'all are like family. When I feel like venting, or like when we had our miscarriages last year, y'all were here to help me get through that. Likewise, when anyone else is low, or as in the case of Mikko, when one has fallen, I'm more than happy to help bear the load, offer advice or help as I can.

This place is a community - it may be that some folks on the outside are intimidated at how insular we can seem - I know that I did at first, when I came here from the Angels 2200 forum, lo these many moons ago. Y'all had all had shared experiences from previous incarnations, or through PvP. I've STILL never read a PvP strip.

There's just enough openness here for someone who's determined enough to want to insinuate themselves into the group. But it might be off-putting to someone who's not feeling quite so confident.

As far as a forum "schtick" is concerned... I don't know. I'm not into a lot of the same things as folks here - sports etc don't fascinate me, games are merely an ancillary bonus to my day, rather than a focus, I don't read that many comics or watch many movies.

But y'all are still my home away from home, in the aether. Y'all are my Cheers. Wherever y'all go, whatever you do, I'll be there.

Covar

Covar

Y'all are my Cheers.
Eureka! that's it! We need beer.

Cog

Cog

I must say that sometimes you are a very intimidating group.

Dave

Dave

I must say that sometimes you are a very intimidating group.
Would you be willing to expand on this?

drifter

drifter

Tits out, Dave. Time to shake those moneymakers.

Cog

Cog

I don't know how to explain it. Most posts I made here are in "stand alone" threads. Rants, epic win, etc, etc. But most of the time I feel like I'm (I don't know what word use in this case) trying to include myself in other people's conversation? You have inside jokes, famous forumites, and It's easy feel like an outsider.

strawman

strawman

I was considering this earlier today as I was winging my way on the thoroughfares of Detroit, and it occurred to me that we don't need to try to bring new people in. Those that join us via word of mouth, or the few things individual members do, become members of our family, and we don't need to focus on trying to grow our family.

I feel lost in forums with too many major characters. I'm sure that we are already big enough that new people have a hard time keeping track of us, but for me we're pretty much at our limit. (ask @PatrThom about Dunbar's number)

We grow too much beyond what we're already at and I suspect that we'll actually decrease our group's cohesiveness.

So I'd prefer to dig further down to the root of the problem, rather than looking at previous attempted and failed solutions.

We can't keep going the way we are and remain viable.
So this is the main issue. We are active enough that we require more than a $10/month server and an hour or two of work on the forum per month. As before, we can attempt to create and monetize content to generate the necessary revenue, but we'd need to get dozens of people to treat this like a part time job creating said content, and we'd have to hope that it would be enough. But most of us already have jobs, and aren't particularly interested in creating compelling content - as for me, it would take me hours a week of steady writing to create, for instance, a tech column that might - after a year, bring in a handful of advertising dollars a month. It would be a tenth or hundredth of what I make doing what I already do, and a poor use of my time.

I don't intend to say, "it isn't worth my time" - what I want you to understand is that this forum is worth my time, but I may be able to convert that time to money more efficiently than doing so directly on the forum itself. You've steadfastly refused to accept donations to run the forum except on the rare occasion, but trying to create content is the same thing, just less efficient (for most of us, anyway).

You've already shouldered the entire burden of the forum for so long because it was important to you, and because you knew it was important to us, even if we weren't yet aware of how important is was.

So while you can pursue any other method you believe is best, please take this post as a vote for discussing the actual base requirements of running the site, including both time and money resources, and in what ways "viable" is not being met. I have no doubt that we could manage the financial aspect of it, or the shortfall advertising doesn't cover at least, in the short run and in the long run.

Please don't let this continue to be a burden on you and your family. If you can continue to find the time, we can find the money.

Frank

Frank

I don't know how to explain it. Most posts I made here are in "stand alone" threads. Rants, epic win, etc, etc. But most of the time I feel like I'm (I don't know what word use in this case) trying to include myself in other people's conversation? You have inside jokes, famous forumites, and It's easy feel like an outsider.
I still feel this way generally.

Dei

Dei

stienman said:
Please don't let this continue to be a burden on you and your family. If you can continue to find the time, we can find the money.
This x100000

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't think the financial side is the problem - if it is, I think Dave underestimates our willingness to donate to help out.
However, with the occasional "core member" leaving - no matter how - our growth may not be enough to keep it at a decent level. Too much smaller than we are now, and we might be in danger of fracturing - 5 people in Politics, 5 in Media, 5 in General - and become a combination hang-out for 5 groups of 5 friends. Which would completely stagnate and die out. Which would be an incredible shame.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't think the financial side is the problem - if it is, I think Dave underestimates our willingness to donate to help out.
It is a part of it; we can be costly.

As for fracturing, I'm pretty sure most of us comb through several of the sub-forums. I don't think we'd each hole up on our own little island.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I agree

Bubble181

Bubble181

It is a part of it; we can be costly.

As for fracturing, I'm pretty sure most of us comb through several of the sub-forums. I don't think we'd each hole up on our own little island.
I don't mean "we're so cheap, what, can't you be bothered", I mean "I'm perfectly willing to donate my fair share and I'm sure there are plenty more like me".

And while there are many who *read* a lot of fora, the *posters* in some of them are fairly static. Because of interests. Yes, many people combine at least two - but I don't think anyone here is into sports, comics, storytelling, computers, games, politics, chitchat, cosplay, painting, books, self-help-advice-stuff, and NSFW content. I mean, I read all over the place because I have a passive intrest and almost all of those (sports not so much :p). I don't know enough to usefully contribute to the conversation on most topics. Which is normal, and the case for many. But 1.000.000 lurkers do not a forum make.

Dei

Dei

It's really more that Dave doesn't like letting us help no matter how much we pressure him to let us. ;)

Emrys

Emrys

Tie him down! Apply the doomweasels!

Fun Size

Fun Size

It's really more that Dave doesn't like letting us help no matter how much we pressure him to let us. ;)
This is common in chronic masturbators. I've heard.

I wonder - is the issue that not many people are showing up, or not many are participating. I know that I'm a serial lurker who can definitely feel like an outsider, and I was part of the whole PvP migration. Do we have stats on lurkers?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Tie him down! Apply the doomweasels!
Sounds like Nick's prom night.

strawman

strawman

Something new for me to ponder! I think of you all as integral parts of the forum, but it sounds like it's how I feel when I go visit a larger forum like PA.

I must have felt that way once as well, but either I needed something from the forum and the forum stepped up (showing me that I wasn't just a wallflower they were content to let wilt) or I must have decided as some point to take a devil-may-care attitude with my posts and go full idiot without regard to the possible consequences.

I suspect it was the latter, but the forum has certainly been the former for me more than once.

What has surprised me is that as tough as the forum can appear on the outside, I've never felt rejected*. I don't know how to expand on this further, but there are certain things about me that could have easily been made fun of, but I can tell people have been very respectful of those things I don't make fun of myself. Despite everyone having seen the "vagina: not a clown car" image, it has never once been posted in one of my many "I have a new baby!" threads.

When nick felt he was being attacked by another long-time poster, and nick just having recovered from a suicide attempt and just barely started feeling ok, a lot of people went on the attack in an effort to protect him. I don't know that it was the best way to handle things, but for those that get past the initial thorns of the forum, it seems that there's a great deal of respect and concern one for another.

But I'm sure there's a multitude of others who have had the opposite experience, and have been, for all intents and purposes, rejected and disrespected.

So your posts suggest that there is a group inbetween that haven't been hurt enough to leave, but also not loved enough to feel like one of the family. Whereas those in the family consider you family just as much as they do other long-time posters.

I don't know what the answer is here, but we should probably try to figure out what the hurdles are and try to reduce them. That alone might increase membership over time...

*by the forum, and generally not as a person. Lots here reject some of my ideas and beliefs, but I'm ok with that. I'll never understand myself if I'm never challenged. Which leads me to wonder if some people feel rejection when all we've done is ask them, "Why do you believe that?" I'm not sure I want to take away that part of the forum - it's one thing that keeps me around.

Emrys

Emrys

Despite everyone having seen the "vagina: not a clown car" image, it has never once been posted in one of my many "I have a new baby!" threads...
That's because we know you plan on using your powers for evil instead of good.

Far

Far

Edit: This got more rambling than I expected.

I'll preface this by saying, I've been here for years, since the image boards.

I have never felt a part of the "in" crowd here, of which I'd say most of the regular posters are given the size of our forums. Not that I don't belong here or am unwelcome, you know. Kinda like that friend that gets brought to a family reunion, included but...disregarded? That's harsher than I mean this to be.

In a lot of ways, I'm sure that is my own social anxiety manifesting itself and additionally not participating as much as some of you are able to.

I'm happy with this and to have familiar faces to chat with about the things I do post about, mainly games and movies. Every so often I branch out and give a little insight into what's going on in my life via the rant, win and other threads of the like. It does become a bit disheartening to add something to a conversation and to often have it unacknowledged as others continue theirs, seemingly because they know one another better.

In short, while attempts are made to integrate the new members that do arrive and while I feel the forums overall attitude is inclusive, it can be hard to interact in a meaningful way with some to the point of exclusivity.

We also argue, a lot, like any family or close knit group, to the point of estranging some of our members. In most cases, these are spats, forgiven and forgotten by those involved, but I have to wonder how many people we have scared away from ever posting at all because of a steak argument exploding. This has improved recently I believe.

I question whether or not something less tucked away in the corner of the Internet, like our forums are, would be better for us, in terms of growth at least. Something like a halforums sub reddit. This would also eliminate the financial burden placed on running the site though does come with the a huge loss of features. And it would damage the closeness of the community. But, I think that may be what we have to ask ourselves. We certainly don't want to lose what makes us us by opening the flood gates. Can we, if not flourish, at least survive, under current circumstances though?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Dave

Dave

Let me be the first to say that the financial portion is not the issue. It has only been once or twice and I've reached out. Right now the advertising brings in about $50 a month, which is enough to offset any costs I have. Unless I go nuts and buy an addon that I think will be cool and it flops. I've done that a few times.

Actually, @Bubble181 has it exactly right. It has to do with the forum being viable in the sense that people are here having good conversations and stuff like that. I mean, I'll keep paying for this place as long as I'm kicking and can afford to do so. But I also want all of you to be able to have a good experience here, and if it's nothing but me and a couple others arguing over stupid shit, it'll get old fast.

People like @Far and @Cog have it exactly right, but I'm not sure how to fix this part of it. It's one of the reasons I keep trying stuff like games, as it can be something we can all try out & give each other good-natured ribbing over.

I know we've gotten some new people and I like these people, like @Yoshimickster and @Emrys, for example. If we could find ways of getting quality individuals like this we'd be all set.

I was going to say something about how certain subs haven't been used very much but Pez's is the only one that hasn't been used in the past few days - and that one last had a post on the 24th! (No, I'm not counting the Hub.)

Does it feel like our conversations are fractured? Do we have too many subs and need to consolidate? (Yes, I know there were people who always wanted to have nothing but one big general board. I concede you might have been right.)

Anyway, I'd continue, but I just got a call from my daughter who is stranded on the side of the road and I have to go play dad and save her. Be back in a while to read the replies.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Flap those hooties like Dumbo's ears and fly off to the rescue!

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

@stienman I probably wouldn't feel that way if I posted more, but I lurk a lot and that's my problem, I love halforums I'm just mainly a wallflower nothing really against HF

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I think there probably a number of us who do. There are a few cliques of friends, and if you're not part of that 'in' group, you can feel like an outsider.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, and I'm certainly not pointing the finger at anyone.It's just a natural thing that happens when groups of people get together. They tend to find a small subset of people they like, and kind of play off of each other.

I find this place generally fun and like spending time here, even if I'm not necessarily anyone's super-close buddy.

Fortunately, I haven't really experienced any of the nastiness that can sometimes happen with someone's more on the outside than on the inside--and trust me, I've seen that kind of crap on other forums. I'd say that generally, we tend to be pretty welcoming around here. Well, for the most part. We all have our "man up" and "rare steak" moments ;)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I might be part of a group here--I honestly don't know. I feel like an outsider even at family gatherings.

grub

grub

Honestly, even IRL I speak way less than I listen. I don't watch much in the way of TV and movies, and I don't play many video games. Mostly I read, play music, and play with my kidlets. I suppose I could post more, but I find I have little to say that hasn't already been said by others. I work out of a service van so I have little time during work to post.

I find this place comforting and am not scared to post. I was in the image days due to certain people that were rather aggressive with dissident views.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I love this place, and you guys. I don't really see it as somewhere I'm included or excluded: sure there are posters who are more well known than most either because of their characteristics or their volume of posts (usually a combination) but that's never struck me as an exclusionary thing. If I want to participate in a thread, I can; I know the risks of it being missed, ignored, disliked, etc. I often want to post, but don't have the time, or for other reasons inhibit myself: but that's totally on me, not this place or anyone. I like y'all, as I've said, I'd meet up with any of you given the chance; my couch is open, let's grab beers, whatever. But the whole idea of people feeling like they're on the outside of inner group is frustrating: maybe I don't feel it because I'm on the inside? I don't know - I've certainly never considered myself that way, but is that a problem, too? Things to think about...
Does it feel like our conversations are fractured? Do we have too many subs and need to consolidate? (Yes, I know there were people who always wanted to have nothing but one big general board. I concede you might have been right.).
I think I argued for a single General board, but now, I'd not want it, unless I could unsubscribe from threads: I unsubscribe from a lot of the sub-forums because I have no interest and I get tired of seeing them in my What's New list. The current system is by no means perfect, since there are still threads I don't care about I can't hide, but at least there are far fewer of them making it easier to see threads I do want to check up on.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I feel like we have this conversation every year, but here we still are.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I say sail on Halforums. I imagine if the forum was going to close shop next month, many of us would connect through G+ or Facebook or twitter or all of them and continue saying and doing a lot of the things we do now. As it stands, I come here more frequently than I do those other places combined, even if I mainly lurk. The psychologist in me sees this thread in part as a reaction to N_R's passing. We cannot help but question our existence in such times. If the community (small as it is) is genuinely tight-knit (and I believe it is), then we will persist in some form. Here is very comfortable, so I'm all for keeping this boat on course.

PS - I may not be the most active poster but I imagine I'm recognizable enough. I don't feel like I cannot say anything. I've never really had that as a hang-up, though.

PPS - If you actually want to draw more visitors, you have two options: tie this place strongly to social networking (where we can draw in like-minded friends and family) or generate content (where we draw in like-minded strangers). Both would require concerted, coordinated effort. That's not insurmountable. It will just take commitment.

Covar

Covar

Does it feel like our conversations are fractured? Do we have too many subs and need to consolidate? (Yes, I know there were people who always wanted to have nothing but one big general board. I concede you might have been right.)
If there was a better way to filter the board I'd be more for this, although it might hurt some of your revenue on the listing pages. I like the thread tags, but even filtering by them feels clunky and unflexible. So I say not a good idea with XenForo.

Zappit

Zappit

Hmmm...we've talked about building around webcomics. Fade and Angels both have subforums. What if we invited a few comics to have official forums here? Supervillainous could get one, and I know a few active cartoonists that might take us up on such an offer.

That would bring in new members, and with a little encouragement, we could entice them to explore the board as a whole. We might also be able to attract an artsy crowd if we plug on DeviantArt.

And look, this might seem self-serving, but I recently installed Google Analytics on Supervillainous, and my audience is growing - slowly, but it is growing. If the folks here that like it plug it other places, that will bring traffic here. SV's homepage has a very prominent Halforums button intended to drive traffic here. I've got a potentially big boost coming up next week - I'll be the Spiderforest Comic of the Week, and that might bring in several hundred new visitors, and I can plug Halforums then.

Shakey

Shakey

As much as seeing the number of posts drop is hard, some good comes out of it. I've seen a lot more people that normally wouldn't have posted, post. More members would be nice, but I kind of like seeing some of these people who have been with us for a long time post a bit more.

Shawn

Shawn

Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't really noticed such a lack of good conversations here. I enjoy the various discussions, and while there are certainly a few that I can usually count on seeing a reply from, there are plenty of other people who just seem fairly new to me still. I took a year or two off from the site when life kinda put everything else on the backburner. But I definitely love this place and it's good to be "home".

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

My only contribution is that I pretty much only read the General thread and poke around in it. I don't bother too much with the others, but I'd read them if the posts were in General. But, that becomes messy.

Also, some threads get so long that I don't want to bother trying to get into them-- the longstanding threads that go on 50 or more pages.

Don't know any solutions, just my observations.

As for a gimmick, nothing can really work. This is seriously just like a community neighborhood/town that you drive through sometimes. It's possible it could grow. But for the most part, you live there, some people move away, some don't, and eventually the town is dead.

It happens. I think Halforums will be done one day. Not super soon, but one day. In the meantime, it's a place for people to come talk to people they kind of know.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The long running threads are usually just current event stuff. Just hop in and you'll be fine.

strawman

strawman

For those that want the forum to look like one big general forum, consider the "new posts" link in the navigation bar. It's what I and many others use, almost exclusively, to keep up with all the threads in all the subforums.

https://www.halforums.com/find-new/posts

You can go into your user preferences and "turn off" those subforums you really aren't into, and they won't appear in the above link.

https://www.halforums.com/account/new-posts

It's not the only way to browse the forum, but it's probably the quickest and most complete way to see all the activity going on.

Gared

Gared

While I don't actually that we really need to go hunting for new membership right now, by which I mean right this very instant, and for reasons which I will endeavor to attempt to have time to go into detail about tomorrow, one thing we might consider is reinstating the retirement of really long running threads in favor of moving up to the next iteration of said thread. I know we used to cut things off at 100 pages due to server considerations and that we really don't need to worry about that anymore, but I really can't imagine what it would be like to come in here as a new person and attempt to jump into the conversation on a thread that's 128 pages long (Whine like a Baby) much less the two threads that are up over 300 pages (Random Crap and Funny Pictures). Plus, I did kind of feel like starting over on one of the big threads, especially one of the big picture threads, reinvigorated things because people would actually go seek out the best pics they could find to start off on a strong note. Besides, we have at least one more Minor Rant thread to go before we can subtitle one "Fistful of Hollers."

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I feel similarly to a lot of others; I don't feel included or excluded. I'm just sort of here. I do think it's hard to break into Halforums. I only did because I lurked in Pez's cosplay thread for over a year and then he began talking to me, making me feel comfortable. But, if I had joined out of the blue, tried to figure out who everyone was and long running jokes, or long running threads, I would feel so lost. And would likely not stick around.

The easiest way I can think to say it is 'If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.' I feel scared away from posting in a few of the threads because of reading negative posts about something that I like. And so, instead of making a fuss about it, I just choose not to post - I can't take the heat, so I get out of the kitchen.

But, I do enjoy reading everyone's conversations and I honestly don't think I'll ever leave. I like you guys too much.

I am worried that a come across in a bad way? I generally feel like no one talks to me on here and I get passed over because I'm not the most exciting conversationalist. I will try to be better though, post more.

I wish I had some ideas that could be helpful, but the only thing that comes to mind is to have a sort of directory of the forumites. Maybe a link to the Wiki page (I still appreciate that my halforums wiki says I'm a genocidal war criminal, you guys are a riot.) or something? Just...a way for new members to have an easy way to get to know some of the better known members and a way to get a lot of information in one place?

Telephius

Telephius

I get rambly and had to keep starting over to write this post so I will try being more terse and to the point in my post(Some of my views already stated by others):

Reasons I like this place that have kept me here:
1) You guys filter the chaff out of my internet content for me so I don't have to look at reddit or 4chan. Yes even you 9gagbandit have my thanks! :) here is a present:

2)The topics on these boards are easy to follow and keep up with do to the non-enormous size of the community. This has the added benefit that the conversations are typically engaging conversations to read and not just a bunch of howling monkeys screaming at each other.

3) The moderation and administration is well done. It feels based more on spirit of the rule than letter of the law. There probably have been errors that have been made(I don't know as I am not privy to the full scope of the decisions) on how things are handled, the enforcement has never felt one size fits all. I consider this better then lets say Blizzard forums where even a minor citation can be a thread delete because of the amount of crap they have to deal with per hour. Honestly even if errors on the mods have been made usually the 'wronged' weren't being angels themselves. Knowing that a topic can get heated but not iced as long as it is kept within reason has appeal for someone who likes to follow things like the political threads.

4) The community here generally opens up and doesn't feel faceless. Most of the long time posters here project the fleshed out person they are rather than just Avatar+Name+schtick because they share their life experiences to different degrees. It makes the dialogue a lot of interesting knowing the different life roads people come from. This will be harder to cultivate in a much larger setting. Not even as a contributor but as a lurker. If I have to keep track of a 1000 users they will just be pictures with a name talking, they will be less a person and more a avatar for a viewpoint.

Figuring out a way to help newbies get into the discussions and activities of this community I think is more a priority then trying to siphoning people from the masses from a popular site. Slowly building up with quality is better to this forum's spirit than trying to throw as much against the wall and seeing what sticks. Figuring out away to tempt lurkers to participate and therefore feel a stake in community I would vote for. However I gave up on terseness after point 2 and I am now tired so I will have to help brainstorm tomorrow maybe.

p.s. If nothing else this post was really just an excuse to watermark GasBandit. Mission Accomplished.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I am worried that a come across in a bad way? I generally feel like no one talks to me on here and I get passed over because I'm not the most exciting conversationalist.
We're afraid if we talk to you, we'll wake up and discover the whole cute-smart-funny-girl-into-nerdy-things-and-not-a-diva is a dream, after all.*²

@MindDetective, @Far, @CrimsonSoul, @Frank: I've considered each of you as "more in-crowd" than myself on at least one or two occasions, or even fairly often.
While there is a bit of an "in-crowd" (though that really diminished after the chat-folks leaving drama, even though many of those who left were great people), I think one of the "strengths" of this forum - which may also be a weakness - is that we speak fairly familiarly with one another, even those we don't really know that well. Even with those we aren't very familiar with, we feel "at ease" enough to make jokes, to be a bit self-deprecating, to speak our mind frankly but also to show sympathy. I can imagine this comes off to newcomers as "these guys are all so incredibly close-knit, I don't really fit in" - even though they'd be accepted quickly and easily.
Some have a harder time gaining acceptance, but that's usually for other reasons (this forum is practically unique in not having a large contingent of 1337-speaking or txt-talking users who feel they own the place and can be as loud and obnoxious as they want - even the local youth (like Yoshi) are literate, and the foreigners too). This, while still not being too elitist/snobbish, to my feel.

Talking about new members, anyone seen or heard @tinabeebz lately? She seemed interesting, but I don't think she's posted since October or so.

*I do not mean this in any way negative to other female posters here who are also all of these things. If you're dreaming, might as well go plural ;)
²I do not mean this as anything more than jest, and any misogynism inherent in "women on the internet"-style jokes is meant entirely as a comedy device. Some of my best friends are women! I even date outside of my gender! I swear! :p

MindDetective

MindDetective

A middle of the night thought: a welcome thread where we introduce ourselves to new users instead of them just introducing themselves to us.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Zappit

Zappit

Maybe a stickied New Users Info thread? What's a Brazelton? What are the sub forums? Etc... Try to answer questions about the place new blood might have.

Fun Size

Fun Size

That's not a bad idea. We had (have?) a wiki, but honestly it's a lot to pour through. A stickied, frequently asked questions thread would do wonders, so long as we had volunteers who were newer to ask the questions, since those of us long-term lurkers/posters might not know what is now known, you know?

Bubble181

Bubble181

That's not a bad idea. We had (have?) a wiki, but honestly it's a lot to pour through. A stickied, frequently asked questions thread would do wonders, so long as we had volunteers who were newer to ask the questions, since those of us long-term lurkers/posters might not know what is now known, you know?

The Wiki is also so heavily laden with in-jokes that it's barely legible for newer readers. Honestly, trying to explain why we haven't simply perma-banned those idiots who like their steak well done can't be done in just 200 words. :troll:

That is, explaining why we throw in occasional lines about steak or frosty someones or someones prom night can be hard. That's in the nature of in-jokes, of course - and usually explaining them still won't make them funny.

Fun Size

Fun Size

No, a lot of the in-jokes will remain just that. Other stuff though...Brazelton, unusual resentment towards certain webcomic authors, etc...could be explained.

Just a thought.

Dave

Dave

Good stuff here, folks! This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

What I'm hearing is:

• We cool, man. We cool. We don't really need to go a-hunting for new members.
  • Keeping the subforums separate is perfectly fine as we have the New button if we want to see everything.
  • Maybe institute a wipe or at least lock old threads based on time. This keeps things at least a little fresh. I personally prefer the lock option because if we wiped we lose a lot of the historical threads, like I'm currently going through Mikko's posts and I have found some more photos. Were we to have wiped these would be gone or at least difficult to access.
  • An "In-joke" thread explaining some of this stuff might be in order. Maybe I could implement and update the FAQ sheet.
@MindDetective might be right, all this talk lately about mortality has me worried about everything as a whole. I guess I sort of went through the same thing in 2011. But as long as YOU GUYS are happy, I'm happy. I mean, I'm not about to ruin the place to get a bunch of new people in when it's been YOU that kept it interesting all along. That would just be...dumb. I mean, what kind of person would just go and shit on his fans like that out of the blue? :troll:

So we'll keep on keeping on. But if you have anything you want added or moved or whatever, just do what Jay does and pester me until it gets done.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

We're afraid if we talk to you, we'll wake up and discover the whole cute-smart-funny-girl-into-nerdy-things-and-not-a-diva is a dream, after all.*²

Talking about new members, anyone seen or heard @tinabeebz lately? She seemed interesting, but I don't think she's posted since October or so.

*I do not mean this in any way negative to other female posters here who are also all of these things. If you're dreaming, might as well go plural ;)
²I do not mean this as anything more than jest, and any misogynism inherent in "women on the internet"-style jokes is meant entirely as a comedy device. Some of my best friends are women! I even date outside of my gender! I swear! :p
Ha, you're very kind and make feel much cooler than I am. :awesome:

As for Tinabeebz, she went through an internet purge of sorts. She might still lurk, but she got a rid of a lot of her profiles on social sites, including her Tumblr. Just so you know.[DOUBLEPOST=1386087136,1386087083][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, yes, Dave, I think we're all pretty happy here and happy with the size of our family. :) At least, I know I'm happy and wouldn't want much to change here.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Like a bunch of you, I also don't feel like one of the cool kids, but I've always attributed that to self-esteem issues. I've even (sadly) tried to brand myself as "the science guy" so that I would stand out.

While it does feel like the community has gotten smaller, it also feels a bit more real now. It seems that there are less characters and more real people. I don't feel like any of you are putting on an act or trying to be something that you're not (internet tough guy etc.). That's refreshing and different from what it was in the past. I worry that would get lost if this place got much bigger.

What I do think that works to help feel like a part of the community is to just post and post often. The more I post, the more I feel like I am a part of the group.

Dave

Dave

I've uploaded an addon (go figure!) that will lock threads over 120 of inactivity. There's one I want to get that will also lock on size, but it looks like it's by thread only, so it would have to be set up during thread creation, which is just wacky. Oh, and only a mod can set it up. More wackiness.

So if the site seems a bit sluggish, it's because of the cron job running. Oh, and in a bit I'll be going back in trying to find more N_R stuff for his parents, and that takes a toll on the DB as well, which may cause some performance issues. And if there's something a guy my age hates, it's performance issues.

Bubble181

Bubble181

What I do think that works to help feel like a part of the community is to just post and post often. The more I post, the more I feel like I am a part of the group.
Yup. I know I've oscillated a bit between postwhore and lurker, and right now I'm somewhere in between with lots of rating but fairly few posts... It really does make a difference. Typing out "yeah, I agree" is different from rating a post "like", which is different from just nodding along silently and carrying on.
Those who feel they lurk mostly and only rarely add anything to the covnersation because their replies are overlooked or ignored: just post away. No harm done, doesn't really take time, and people will grow accustomed to your face. You don't actually have to really open up too much - no-one forces you to put up your picture, shoe size and body weight. Or to talk about your feelings of depression. Or those feelings for your cousin or dog or aunt, whatever.
Post in the threads you like. Maybe join in a chorus of "yes"s or "sorry to hear it"s or whatever.

By the time you suddenly disappear, we'll all go "hey, where's [name]? I've grown accustomed to a trace of their small in the air, etc etc (oh, go look up the song, I'm tired)

Anyway, you shouldn't feel posting requires you to open up and say or do whatever. Even though it's tempting, ti's actually more fun to participate occasionally.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I'm one of those people who prefer to lurk - I usually visit daily (sometimes more than once/day) and read most of what's posted if I find it interesting, but I rarely post.

I'm more of the opinion that if I don't have anything to add to the conversation, I won't post, but occasionally I will, even create new threads if I find something that is post-worthy.

I've been with the forums since pre-PVP shutdown/purges and this is pretty much the only forum I frequent.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Yup. I know I've oscillated a bit between postwhore and lurker, and right now I'm somewhere in between with lots of rating but fairly few posts... It really does make a difference. Typing out "yeah, I agree" is different from rating a post "like", which is different from just nodding along silently and carrying on.
Those who feel they lurk mostly and only rarely add anything to the covnersation because their replies are overlooked or ignored: just post away. No harm done, doesn't really take time, and people will grow accustomed to your face. You don't actually have to really open up too much - no-one forces you to put up your picture, shoe size and body weight. Or to talk about your feelings of depression. Or those feelings for your cousin or dog or aunt, whatever.
Post in the threads you like. Maybe join in a chorus of "yes"s or "sorry to hear it"s or whatever.

By the time you suddenly disappear, we'll all go "hey, where's [name]? I've grown accustomed to a trace of their small in the air, etc etc (oh, go look up the song, I'm tired)

Anyway, you shouldn't feel posting requires you to open up and say or do whatever. Even though it's tempting, ti's actually more fun to participate occasionally.
By my cousin who is also a dog and my aunt is so hot...

figmentPez

figmentPez

As for Tinabeebz, she went through an internet purge of sorts. She might still lurk, but she got a rid of a lot of her profiles on social sites, including her Tumblr. Just so you know.
Before she left Tumblr (which was after one of her posts got a ton of attention by being posted on Jezebel) she unfollowed me because I tagged a post #Misandry (which was actually in jest, for that post). I can't say I'm surprised that she hasn't stuck around Halforums.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I think many of us aren't quite sure how to talk to you, @LilKagsin , for fear of coming off as internet creepers *wry chuckle* Social anxiety/awkwardness has a place on the internet, when you actually care about what the other person has to say. Who knew?

Emrys

Emrys

I think many of us aren't quite sure how to talk to you,
Was that intended for FigmentPez or someone else?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Was that intended for FigmentPez or someone else?
Dunno what happened to the rest. Edited.

Emrys

Emrys

Ah, very good.
Nothing to see here. Carry on.

Jax

Jax

I think many of us aren't quite sure how to talk to you, @LilKagsin , for fear of coming off as internet creepers *wry chuckle* Social anxiety/awkwardness has a place on the internet, when you actually care about what the other person has to say. Who knew?
I'm pretty sure she already knows everyone on this forum is an internet creeper :unibrow:

I've uploaded an addon (go figure!) that will lock threads over 120 of inactivity. There's one I want to get that will also lock on size, but it looks like it's by thread only, so it would have to be set up during thread creation, which is just wacky. Oh, and only a mod can set it up. More wackiness.
But what will Thread Necromancer do then? :(

strawman

strawman

Yeah, but @LittleKagsin can't leave, I've got her outsourced baby, and the only way she knows how to contact me is through here.

PEEKABOO! Four days until he turns one:

Jax

Jax

Someone needs to caption "I see what you did there" on that picture..

On a more serious note though, I love this place even though I'm pretty much a hardcore lurker. Almost all my posts are "light" (as in funny, one off, non-committal, etc), because while I like talking about things, I can't muster the time or trouble to have an in-depth discussion, which most here do like. Which is fine, I like reading most of the conversations here and if it gets too long, I can just skip it.

My point however is, I still see a big, close family with no forseeable troubles of decline in the future. The forum has also become more open and friendly to outsiders, so people can just ease their way in without having to post like crazy. Word of mouth is still the best way I think, the same way as you would expand a family: by connection rather than just throwing some strangers in. As far as people leaving is concerned, apart from new people I sometimes also see the "really old" ones coming out of retirement, so that should balance things out as well.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I've honestly wondered if people either find me scary or are bothered by my peppy attitude.

The fact that you, or anyone, doesn't want to be a creep makes me feel completely at ease. Like, if anyone said anything to me that was uncouth, perverse, I would likely see it as bantering with me, not at me. Because I don't think anyone is here to creep at me. For real, you guys are all awesome. Big love from LilKags to all of you.

Yeah, but @LittleKagsin can't leave, I've got her outsourced baby, and the only way she knows how to contact me is through here.

PEEKABOO! Four days until he turns one:

D'aww, he looks like such a happy boy, I'm so glad I outsourced to you. Get him a birthday present from me. ;)

strawman

strawman

I've honestly wondered if people either find me scary or are bothered by my peppy attitude.
Wonder no more! You are not scary, and if anything your pep makes you more interesting and endearing.

I'm so glad I outsourced to you. Get him a birthday present from me. ;)
Me too! Feel free to outsource a girl with us next time...

Emrys

Emrys

Wonder no more! You are not scary, and if anything your pep makes you more interesting and endearing.
I agree, @LittleKagsin. I think you're a wonderful and interesting person and I always look forward to reading your posts.

Me too! Feel free to outsource a girl with us next time...
I'm available for adoption.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I'll do my best to send those XX chromosome's your way Stieny! :)

I'm pretty sure she already knows everyone on this forum is an internet creeper :unibrow:

Hylian

Hylian

I find myself drifting between posting a ton and just lurking. I admit lately that I have been more on the lurking side due to work and a crappy internet connection at home. While I can see how this place may seem intimidating to some people (I even feel out of place in some threads) I also see that it will be something that is hard to overcome. If you have a group of people in one place the ones that have been there for a bit will start to form there own jokes and even culture to a certain extent. it happens at work, school, and many other places so it makes since that it would happen to an online community.

Now that doesn't mean it is a good thing but it does mean that it is going to be at least to a certain extent unavoidable. I think keeping some of the threads from getting to large and all of us trying to keep in mind that there are new people that we could do a bit to make things less intimidating to newcomers. But we also don't want to go so far into the extreme that we shatter the culture that we have created here. So I guess I am saying that changes need to happen but we should tread carefully.

strawman

strawman

I'm available for adoption.
Wow, Ruth and Steve Johnson just aren't working out as parents? It's only been five days.

Krisken

Krisken

Huh. Here I thought we had finally reached a point where I don't mind telling people about the place. A lot of the forum drama is gone and there has been a whole lot more respect for other posters than any other time in the forum since I've joined. Character sniping is at a minimum and if people get upset, they're generally fairly receptive when it's pointed out to them they may have gone a bit overboard.

Long story short, never has the forum been as inviting as it is now.

Tress

Tress

Long story short, never has the forum been as inviting as it is now.
Go fuck yourself.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

As always, I'm late to the party... and not in the "I'm cool because I'm coming to the party late" way either. Somebody said it back near the front of this thread, by the time I get here, I feel that I really don't have anything to add to the conversation. I'm not saying that input isn't welcome, but that the conversation has wandered away from what I'm catching up with from the day. I have no internet at work (it's retail, go figure) and really don't go browsing the new threads/posts page too often, honestly just to keep my personal time a little more streamlined.

We seem to be growing up a little as a forum, becoming a little more mature in our interaction with each other. We'll never be able to answer everyone's questions about our history or in-jokes, even with the family I've been married into for almost 25 years there are still things that are said that I can't tell you the history of it. It's just one of those things.

I do still feel a little like an outsider looking in at times, but that, for me, is probably because I'm at a much different stage of my life than the majority here. Dave is a little older than I am, but I've been married longer than he has, tie your brain around that one with the "old" jokes. The flappy hooties are still all his though.

I share stuff from here with my wife (not so much with the daughter), and she understands that this is a little family that few have met face-to-face.

Really not sure where I'm going with this, mostly a bunch of slightly related thoughts that are being typed as they come to my mind.

Mathias

Mathias

Sounds like we need... a general... a... UNION MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD PEOPLE! YOUR CHAZWOZEL HAS RETURNED! NOW LET'S BAG OURSELVES A BUNCH OF NEW BASTARDS! FOR THE UNNNNNNIIIIIIOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't mind me, I'm just old and confused anymore.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Aww sharks and a union joke. :) God bless us, every one.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*lays on his bed propped up on his elbows, looking at @Mathias in awe, kicking his feet back and forth*

I missed you. Sooo much.

Mathias

Mathias

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Awww yissss

Mother.

Fuckin'

Unions.

Gared

Gared

Honestly, the only thing that keeps me from posting more these days, is the fact that I'm actually busy working at work now, instead of having a bunch of time to sit around and do nothing.

Timmus

Timmus

GOOD PEOPLE! YOUR CHAZWOZEL HAS RETURNED! NOW LET'S BAG OURSELVES A BUNCH OF NEW BASTARDS! FOR THE UNNNNNNIIIIIIOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!

Bling grill sharks back! Citizens rejoice!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Avoided this thread because I never felt I had the time to post what I wanted.
Finally posting anyway because I'm never going to have all the time I want.

@Dave if this forum ever becomes a financial burden, say so. I'm sure my financial problems border on legend around here, but even *I* can spare $20/yr (in 12 easy payments of $1.67) without too much trouble, which is an easy grand when repeated by at least 50 active users. Cost should not be an issue.

Post count may be falling, population may be declining...but I just don't see it. I routinely have more fresh threads than I can keep up with (checking 3-6x/day) and don't see this as a problem.

What is our identity? Our "brand?" We don't have one. Get used to it. We do not need to hitch our wagon to anyone else's notoriety to survive, we are our own entity.
I am often asked at work, "What forum is that? What's it about?" I reply that we have no particular focus, and people just look at me strangely, as though the idea of a forum without focus were foreign somehow, an affront before God, or whatever. Actually, what has happened is that we formed an online society. We're a bit ahead of our time, though. Even Facebook is more of a BBS when compared to our virtual township. To give you some idea of how *I* view this board, I made some serious effort (even beyond privately asking the advice of other forum members) to discover whether it would be feasible to create a Halforums credit union. We share a common bond, no question there, but it quickly became obvious that the regulations and requirements would be too high of a hurdle even if we were to seriously pursue it via the proper agencies. Not impossible, mind you, just extremely unlikely.

Now, for the wall of text.
=================

I joined this forum a long time ago to talk about a webcomic, no doubt moved to comment by some awful pun or grammatical error which pushed me far enough over the edge that I absolutely had to create an account and tell someone about it.

When the webcomic's "sponsorship" was pulled, we were left with no clear theme, so we just ended up talking amongst ourselves. I saw myself as a member, nothing more. Over quite a bit of time, I built a reputation of sorts. I interjected a comment or two. I substantiated someone else's comment with a handy link. I got an avatar (and even that took a loooong time before I finally did so), and I'm sure that's probably when I went from being a faceless lurker dude to some sort of semi-recognizeable individual. As in real life, when someone tried to cut me down for something (real or imagined), I either refuted their claim with research and facts, or else ignored/redirected it if I thought it was spurious. I tried hard not to be an idiot or a jackass (made easier since I'm neither in real life), but I was still in awe of other Halforum members who were obvious pillars of the community such as @Dave, @JCM, @GasBandit, @Gusto, and others. I was surrounded by people who have better jobs, more artistic talent, a deeper understanding of mathematics, a heroic lifestyle, an idyllic home life, or whatever, while I was just a guy sitting on the floor of my living room in front of a 5yr-old computer propped up on milk crates, eating microwaved brown-n-serve sausages off a salad plate while skimming through the new threads. But I stuck around. I'm stubborn like that.

And I got accepted (or at least any attempts to drive me away petered out). And then I started to build a real reputation. I often tell people, "Only people who don't know me think that I'm boring." As time went on, I got more bold about sharing my opinions, and got to feel more comfortable, more belong-y. At some point, someone made the mistake of asking for advice in some topic where I'm proficient, and I caught fire and got noticed for it. Much like the heap paradox, there's no clear division as to where it happened, but at some point I became a part of "us." Valued. Integral.

Here's the thing, though. I don't feel like I'm some sort of Inner Circle poobah, some sort of forum linchpin. In fact, I feel apprehensive even typing the previous sentence suggesting that I might be one, since I feel like if *I* were to die tomorrow, the forum would probably notice me missing, and some people might talk about it for a bit, but after a brief period, business would resume as usual. This is not some attempt to solicit affirmation, either. Rather it is a statement of how I feel my place is when compared against someone who really is one of those linchpins. I mean, I'm no @North_Ranger (nor do I feel I ever will be, either). No, that guy was a f*ckin' Corinthian column carved from stacked red granite blocks quarried straight out of Lieto, and I doubt anyone here would disagree.

Have any of you ever been on vacation, and went into a bar recommended by the locals? You walk in, everyone looks up at you, the bar pauses for a split second...and then everyone goes back to what they were doing. Your first thought is probably, "The bar has evaluated me, and found me wanting," but you gotta remember: Everyone probably has their own reason. Some were merely curious and returned to whatever they were doing once they were satisfied. Some probably checked you out and either dismissed you or else made plans to get a closer look when the opportunity presents itself. If you buy your drink, keep to yourself, and then leave, then you'll never know which people are the regulars, the drunks, the sports fans, the car nuts, etc. I imagine that's what it's like for outsiders here. You generally don't come in here unless you stumble across it somehow or get recommended by someone. You might get turned off and leave. You might get challenged and allow yourself to be chased off. Honestly, we probably don't want those folks anyway. Or you might stay, either to lurk for a while and take our measure or because you saw something that elicited an emotional response from you so strong that you felt compelled to register an account right away in order to tell someone about it.

It happens. Let it.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

I've totally felt like part of the in-crowd ever since I joined, back when we were on the Image boards.

And I'm not saying that in jest, either. I feel you guys are quite welcoming, accommodating, and on the whole very intelligent.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Shut the fuck up, bhamv.[DOUBLEPOST=1386155715,1386155666][/DOUBLEPOST]It shouldn't need mentioning that the previous was in jest. But just in case, I keed. @bhamv is a cool cat.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Shut the fuck up, bhamv.[DOUBLEPOST=1386155715,1386155666][/DOUBLEPOST]It shouldn't need mentioning that the previous was in jest. But just in case, I keed. @bhamv is a cool cat.
crying.gif

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Literally the only time I am capable of missing Mav is when I think about that thread.

strawman

strawman

Literally the only time I am capable of missing Mav is when I think about that thread.
This post is useless without a link.

Dei

Dei

stienman said:
I wonder if that thread even still exists.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

"Needless to say, I'm thinking about starting a union..." Hilarity ensues (?)[DOUBLEPOST=1386175540,1386175346][/DOUBLEPOST]It looks like a shitton of posts were deleted from that thread. Aw. Our mean, horribleness is lost forever.

Shakey

Shakey

Mav wasn't all bad. I remember talking about lost a lot with him. I wouldn't mind seeing him around again if he could calm down a bit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Aw, I thought the link would take me to the first time Mathias started the union thing. That shit was hilarious.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Aw, I thought the link would take me to the first time Mathias started the union thing. That shit was hilarious.
It is, but it seems that those posts have been removed by the Ministry of Truth.[DOUBLEPOST=1386176377,1386176294][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mav wasn't all bad. I remember talking about lost a lot with him. I wouldn't mind seeing him around again if he could calm down a bit.
And stop hating women? Or anyone who didn't believe that his life was just one series of injustices exacted against him, specifically, after another?

Krisken

Krisken

Heh, forgot about that guy. He was a special kind of special.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I didn't realize that Mav changed his handle. I didn't realize that I posted in that thread either.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I didn't realize that Mav changed his handle. I didn't realize that I posted in that thread either.
And why is he a staff member? He was a mod? Who on earth let that happen...

Shakey

Shakey

And stop hating women? Or anyone who didn't believe that his life was just one series of injustices exacted against him, specifically, after another?
That's what I meant by calm down. He was ok when he wasn't going crazy.

I think he was a mod for the original NSFW forum only.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

That's what I meant by calm down. He was ok when he wasn't going crazy.

I think he was a mod for the original NSFW forum only.
I admit, I did not like him, and probably only remember the awful since it completes my biased picture nicely. I'm sure he wasn't all bad - no one is. And besides that, it does me nor anyone else any good to dwell on negativity.

Timmus

Timmus

I wonder if that guy ever learned to chill?

I think the sites doing fine although I kind of liked the drama. It was cool when there was games of cards against humanity going a few months back. Having more stuff like that going on would spice things up. I get that offline life can make it difficult to co-ordinate though. Don't feel like I'm part of the in crowd but I haven't been posting nearly as long as I lurked. I think I've posted enough that some of you might find me quasi familiar especially to the good folks on the hockey board. Anyhoo I'm glad the sites around and I'm grateful to Dave and all the mods who keep it running so well.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

As a mostly lurker, and certainly not of the average demographic for the forum, I visit the forum daily and enjoy the various threads. My feeling is that we (!) are in a pretty healthy state and think that any changes should be minimal. That's my two penny (Cents, Yen, Euros, Whatever.) worth.

David

David

I find this kind of thing to be a problem for me in real life. I generally avoid talking to or making eye contact with people, particularly women and children, for fear that I'll come across as a non-specific form of "That guy." I'll take the long way around a store aisle if going the direct way to what I want involves excusing my way passed a woman with child in cart. I'll alter my jogging route if I notice someone in my neighborhood is usually out in their yard that particular time of day so as to avoid having them see me pass their house every morning. I absolutely will not look in the general direction of a woman in the gym or wait and start a line at an occupied machine, even if it's the last one I really wanted to use for that day. I've gone entire semesters in classes never saying a word to the girl sitting next to me.

Once I do break the ice with somebody I'm fully comfortable talking to them and engaging in social situations with them. But otherwise, I'm usually in "I'll look like I'm creeping on this person if I try to make any interaction" mode.

As for how this translates to my interactions on the forum, I oft feel like I'm one of those who don't have anything particular to contribute to a conversation, or that my contribution would be ignored or unwelcome. The logical side of my brain informs me how irrational it is, yet those fears guide my actions a lot more than I would like, anyway. This problem seems to have gotten worse for me the last few years; just the other day I did a presentation for one of my classes, and I was surprised and just how frozen and nervous I felt standing in front as the center of attention. This is something 4 years ago I had zero issue doing in other classes, and I'm not entirely sure what's changed other than a general lowering of self esteem. It's something I just need to personally work at and improve myself on.

tl;dr:
Forums be full of socially awkward bitches, yo.

Dave

Dave

I find this kind of thing to be a problem for me in real life. I generally avoid talking to or making eye contact with people, particularly women and children, for fear that I'll come across as a non-specific form of "That guy." I'll take the long way around a store aisle if going the direct way to what I want involves excusing my way passed a woman with child in cart. I'll alter my jogging route if I notice someone in my neighborhood is usually out in their yard that particular time of day so as to avoid having them see me pass their house every morning. I absolutely will not look in the general direction of a woman in the gym or wait and start a line at an occupied machine, even if it's the last one I really wanted to use for that day. I've gone entire semesters in classes never saying a word to the girl sitting next to me.

Once I do break the ice with somebody I'm fully comfortable talking to them and engaging in social situations with them. But otherwise, I'm usually in "I'll look like I'm creeping on this person if I try to make any interaction" mode.

As for how this translates to my interactions on the forum, I oft feel like I'm one of those who don't have anything particular to contribute to a conversation, or that my contribution would be ignored or unwelcome. The logical side of my brain informs me how irrational it is, yet those fears guide my actions a lot more than I would like, anyway. This problem seems to have gotten worse for me the last few years; just the other day I did a presentation for one of my classes, and I was surprised and just how frozen and nervous I felt standing in front as the center of attention. This is something 4 years ago I had zero issue doing in other classes, and I'm not entirely sure what's changed other than a general lowering of self esteem. It's something I just need to personally work at and improve myself on.

tl;dr:
Forums be full of socially awkward bitches, yo.
We love you, David. Go nuts.

Emrys

Emrys

I love this place. It gives me a chance to be a nerd, gush about doomweasels and rant about taking over the world*. I mean, where could I do that without a bunch of people telling me to :stfu:?

I love you guys. Please don't change.

*Speaking of taking over the world, what do you think about a bull moose calvary?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

\
*Speaking of taking over the world, what do you think about a bull moose calvary?
A Møøse once bit my sister.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

We love you, David. Go nuts.
[DOUBLEPOST=1386255420,1386255341][/DOUBLEPOST]
I mean, where could I do that without a bunch of people telling me to :stfu:?
STFU, weasel lover.

:p

Emrys

Emrys

STFU, weasel lover.

I love you, @ThatNickGuy, but you're going to be one of the first to go down during The Scampering.

strawman

strawman

A Møøse once bit my sister.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

We apologize for the fault in the thread. Those responsible have been sacked.

strawman

strawman

Those responsible for sacking those responsible have been sacked.

Dave

Dave

Emrys

Emrys

Oooooooo, the colours!

All hail Hypno-stienman!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Just Me

Just Me

And here we have a prime example why I love this place and its people!

I'm not into comics or superheroes, though I try to stay up-to-date enough to get what my friends are talking about, and this place helps me with that. Also with getting geeky/nerdy needs most times way ahead of other eople near me.

And all this stuff is done by great people, most of whom I'd let crash on my couch if they were near; some others I might redirect to my brother or my in-laws. :D

Emrys

Emrys

And all this stuff is done by great people, most of whom I'd let crash on my couch if they were near; some others I might redirect to my brother or my in-laws. :D
If you're ever in Saskatchewan, you have a choice of sleeping in the barn or with the doomweasels. Or both!

Piotyr

Piotyr

Sometimes it's hard to know where I fit in. I don't feel particularly interesting or polarizing, but I try to participate in as much of the discussion as possible. I frequently blow off steam in the rant threads, but beyond that I really only contribute when I feel like I have something to add that is either amusing or informational to the discussion.

When I directly address people, I always feel like I come off creepy, since there's no real way to project or interpret tone in message board posts.

Emrys

Emrys

When I directly address people, I always feel like I come off creepy, since there's no real way to project or interpret tone in message board posts.
Send me a message and I'll rate you on my patented CreepScale (tm).

Fun Size

Fun Size

I have no problem with where I fit in. I come in and make jokes, and then spirit away. Basically, I took over where Jake left off.

drifter

drifter

I'm more of a lurker at heart, so it took some effort to start posting more often. I really enjoy this little community, and one day I came to the conclusion that if I cared for it, I should do my part to sustain it. So I started posting more, figuring that even if my posts went largely ignored, contributing and helping keep the board more active was better than not posting at all. Anyway, I like to think my posts add to the flavor of the board, and serve to further intelligent discourse.

Penis.

Just Me

Just Me

Minotaur Penis.
FTFY

Cajungal

Cajungal

I like your posts.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm more of a lurker at heart, so it took some effort to start posting more often. I really enjoy this little community, and one day I came to the conclusion that if I cared for it, I should do my part to sustain it. So I started posting more, figuring that even if my posts went largely ignored, contributing and helping keep the board more active was better than not posting at all. Anyway, I like to think my posts add to the flavor of the board, and serve to further intelligent discourse.

Penis.
You also tend to demolish our game room high scores. :p

Bowielee

Bowielee

I still can't beat his damn score on the Magnet Tower game. I was OBSESSED with that game and finally beat his score. Not more than 2 hours after I beat him, he came back with an even higher score. GRRRRAAAHHHHH!!!![DOUBLEPOST=1386293864,1386293805][/DOUBLEPOST]It's funny that most the people who are saying they don't feel like regular posters are people that I totally view as regulars here.

drifter

drifter

I've mentioned it before, but if anyone deserves some kind of Arcade high score rep, it's Coral. She's inhuman.

Also, Rovewin beat my Shoot the Gems score. By a lot. I'll get you yet, Rovewin! *shakes fist*[DOUBLEPOST=1386295474,1386295443][/DOUBLEPOST]
I still can't beat his damn score on the Magnet Tower game. I was OBSESSED with that game and finally beat his score. Not more than 2 hours after I beat him, he came back with an even higher score. GRRRRAAAHHHHH!!!!
DON'T YOU TAKE MY BABY!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I love you, @ThatNickGuy, but you're going to be one of the first to go down during The Scampering.
Oh, how quickly you forget that Lord Diomedes will likely have conquered the world long before your precious Doom Weasels.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I've mentioned it before, but if anyone deserves some kind of Arcade high score rep, it's Coral. She's inhuman.

Also, Rovewin beat my Shoot the Gems score. By a lot. I'll get you yet, Rovewin! *shakes fist*[DOUBLEPOST=1386295474,1386295443][/DOUBLEPOST]

DON'T YOU TAKE MY BABY!
Yeah who's this @Coral person? He/she apparently has only made one post, accusing Calleja of having a penis implant? I would like to know more about him or her.

drifter

drifter

Oh, how quickly you forget that Lord Diomedes will likely have conquered the world long before your precious Doom Weasels.
Cats drool stoats rule.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Cats drool stoats rule.
You're fired.

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

...And that's another reason I love this forum, threads almost always go off topic, but are usually funnier for doing so.

Emrys

Emrys

Cats drool stoats rule.
I love you.[DOUBLEPOST=1386340234,1386340172][/DOUBLEPOST]
All I have to do is throw some catnip at Lord Lazybritches and he's mine forever.

Mwahahahahahahahaha![DOUBLEPOST=1386340264][/DOUBLEPOST]
...And that's another reason I love this forum, threads almost always go off topic, but are usually funnier for doing so.
These threads have topics?!

strawman

strawman

These threads have topics?!
Welcome to Halforums. You seem to be new here. Please keep your hands, head, arms, and legs inside the threads at all times. Do not at any time attempt to stop a moving thread with your body. Wait until the thread comes to a complete stop before dismounting. If a thread appears to be trackless, pointless, obscene, or serene, you do not need to adjust your browser - you are observing the thread in the raw.

Thank you for choosing Halforums, and please come again!

Emrys

Emrys

Shush, you.

Dirona

Dirona

All I have to do is throw some catnip at Lord Lazybritches and he's mine forever.

Mwahahahahahahahaha!
I don't know, if he's anything like cats that I have had, it's far more likely that he will turn into a raving lunatic for a while, then crash and forget the whole thing ever happened. So while the nip may be an excellent distraction technique, it by no means guarantees loyalty. That requires a can opener.

On topic - and very late to the party - I echo what most others have said. Particularly since I spend the vast majority of my time lurking, I miss most of the complete gong shows, and what I posts I do make are generally one-offs. Is there some cliqueishness, ya, probably, but that occurs in any comunity. Are there some threads that I would have liked to comment on but was imtimidated by the ... reputations?... of the people mainly involved? Sure, but I don't think that's the forums issue.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Welcome to Halforums. You seem to be new here. Please keep your hands, head, arms, and legs inside the threads at all times. Do not at any time attempt to stop a moving thread with your body. Wait until the thread comes to a complete stop before dismounting. If a thread appears to be trackless, pointless, obscene, or serene, you do not need to adjust your browser - you are observing the thread in the raw.

Thank you for choosing Halforums, and please come again!
This needs to be our welcoming message to all new people lol

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

I just like to lurk about. Mostly in the Media Section of the forum. I occasionally post. I just don't have much to say :)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

It's funny that most the people who are saying they don't feel like regular posters are people that I totally view as regulars here.
I was thinking this too, and then I though, "Wait, I don't think I'm a regular... oh am I a regular?" I don't know what's real anymore!

Fun Size

Fun Size

I'm a lurker who's regular. Does that count?

strawman

strawman

I'm a lurker who's regular.
It's probably all the fiber you have in your diet. Good on you!

BTW, still waiting on that vegetarian barbecue you promised us before your garage flew off and eloped with the neighbor's roof.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I just looked... how the hello did i get over 2k posts!

strawman

strawman

I just looked... how the hello did i get over 2k posts!
Push button post, receive bacon feedback.

Mathias

Mathias

I admit, I did not like him, and probably only remember the awful since it completes my biased picture nicely. I'm sure he wasn't all bad - no one is. And besides that, it does me nor anyone else any good to dwell on negativity.

I wasn't fond of Mav, but he was harmless (I guess. Ok no, he was sort of a Norman Bates waiting to come out). I don't particularly want to see the return of Crone though...

Now there is a true nut job.

Oh and Makare would be cool if she wasn't such a testy thang.

Return of Markare in 3 2 1....

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Uh oh. You spelled her name "wrong." Now you've done it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

There have been more than a few people I wouldn't invite over for dinner, but there hasn't been anyone yet that I hated sharing a forum with.

--Patrick

Bones

Bones

Oh and Makare would be cool if she wasn't such a testy thang.

Return of Markare in 3 2 1....
hell, makare isnt even on the pvponline channel much anymore, its been weird. I was like her worst enemy for a while and then she just poofed off the internet.

Dave

Dave

She did finish school. Maybe she found gainful employment. It does happen. Not to me, but it does happen.

Bones

Bones

Yeah I think she is finally lawyering somewhere.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I see her on facebook a lot. She seems to be doing very well.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

drifter

drifter

I worry about Crone the same way I worried about North_Ranger. I hope she's doing okay.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yeah. Amy was having issues with her partner, if memory serves. That was one heck of a long time ago, though.

Bowielee

Bowielee

There have been more than a few people I wouldn't invite over for dinner, but there hasn't been anyone yet that I hated sharing a forum with.

--Patrick
Icarus

*drops mic*

blotsfan

blotsfan

Eh he was fine. I just felt bad for how often people confused him for that creep Iaculus

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, on my "I really miss seeing them post" list:

Makare
Shegokego
Silver Jelly
Frosty Sus-I mean Calleja
SeraRelm

strawman

strawman

We've changed a lot in five years...

Bowielee

Bowielee

I wasn't even close to one of the immediately recognizable members back then. I think I've since become one of the more regular posters.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Ha! I thought I was missing from the picture, but I had a Christmas avatar.

drifter

drifter

Yeah. Amy was having issues with her partner, if memory serves. That was one heck of a long time ago, though.
That's, uh, not what I meant... I referenced North_Ranger for a reason.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Come to think of it, where's @Allen who is Quiet these days? Maybe he's been posting and I haven't realized it.

But out of the ones mentioned, I still miss Sheg the most.

Dave

Dave

You'd be wrong to do so. Can't say more.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Also, where's JCM these days.

I mean, apart from all his alts.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, where's JCM these days.

I mean, apart from all his alts.
He stopped posting when he became a papa.

I think that combined with his "come at me bro! here's my real name and address" attitude may be a major reason he stopped posting in general. Your perspective on that changes a lot when you have a kid to protect.

drifter

drifter

You'd be wrong to do so. Can't say more.
I am confused, but also relieved.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Crone has, I believe, been a... silent supporter...of the community in the past. I suspect she has done so again very recently. (Many thanks for that.)

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

PatrThom

PatrThom

Crone has, I believe, been a... silent supporter...of the community in the past.
Well, it's good to know that, wherever she is, she continues to watch over us.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

I understand what you mean - her partner's health wasn't doing well at the time, and obviously we have no idea how she's doing, either.

I miss SeraRelm as well.

drifter

drifter

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Add me into the column of folks who're relieved to hear that Amy's still lurking off to one side, doing as well as she might be. I never had any issues with her, and found her posts to be interesting.

Shakey

Shakey

@Chibibar needs to come back too. :(

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Add me into the column of folks who're relieved to hear that Amy's still lurking off to one side, doing as well as she might be. I never had any issues with her, and found her posts to be interesting.
She sent me a private message, I think, when I returned from Europe, saying she'd missed me. It was kind; I didn't know I'd been -could be!- 'missed' by anyone here.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I miss you when you're gone, brother. You're a legit personality on here, and I enjoy reading what you've got to share with us. Even when life's got you by the balls, you've always got something to say.

Bones

Bones

all you regulars are awesome, and thats why NR passing hit us so hard, I think. I thought oh they are just random people on the internet WHATEVER! But the thing is you are all so cool. on a personal level listening to Poe and OC on vent talk about shit was awesome. Emrys' DOOMWEASELING!, Pat's tech advice, yoshi for being a crazier hobo than me, and whoever else I might have forgotton, SORRY!
edit:
Also Pez, Kags, and Heatherling for being awesome cosplay-related people.
Doc_Severin for being awesome to interact with, I will never forget when I was out in the field in bumfuck no where talking to him about stuff on irc.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I miss you when you're gone, brother. You're a legit personality on here, and I enjoy reading what you've got to share with us. Even when life's got you by the balls, you've always got something to say.
Ah, you're too kind! I certainly know now how important this community is, and all of us to it. But, at the time I had been travelling and returned, I hadn't had that feeling.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ah, you're too kind! I certainly know now how important this community is, and all of us to it. But, at the time I had been travelling and returned, I hadn't had that feeling.
We all stil lthink you should grow sideburns in the size and shape of that shade on your avatar, though.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

We all stil lthink you should grow sideburns in the size and shape of that shade on your avatar, though.
I think the beard I have now basically covers that area.... slightly lower I suppose.

PatrThom

PatrThom

QFT

--Patrick

ElJuski

ElJuski

And don't forget other assholes observing quietly into the night.

But seriously, this place is incredibly insular and without focus. To the people on the inside, it's perfect; to the outside, it's pointless. So it goes!

GasBandit

GasBandit

But seriously, this place is incredibly insular and without focus. To the people on the inside, it's perfect; to the outside, it's pointless. So it goes!
Or to put it another way, who wants to live in Ohio that doesn't already?

ElJuski

ElJuski

I hate Ohio. For the record.

Telephius

Telephius

MindDetective

MindDetective

I agree it is without focus. The insularity of the forum is no more or less than the average social group, I suspect.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I hate Ohio. For the record.
It's better than Omaha

Dave

Dave

It's better than Omaha
I honestly don't know whether to like this or disagree.

Jax

Jax

Go for neutral and put in Informative..

Cajungal

Cajungal

I think someone's already said this, but I'm just throwing it out again. I'd happily put in a little every year to keep this place going if it was ever necessary... or even if it wasn't.

Fun Size

Fun Size

And I would happily take off a little every year for the same reasons.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

Dave

Dave

Not necessary, but thanks! Hell, I've thought several times about getting rid of ads altogether.

Bones

Bones

shit...we have ads?
edit: no, legit, I never even considered we could with so many anti-ad-spy programs on my computer I dont see ads because ad companies cant collect info on me.​

Zappit

Zappit

shit...we have ads?
edit: no, legit, I never even considered we could with so many anti-ad-spy programs on my computer I dont see ads because ad companies cant collect info on me.​
It's okay, we've been feeding those companies info on you anyway, so you're not missing out on that!

Bones

Bones

Ghostery and DoNotTrack are my very favorites.

strawman

strawman

PatrThom

PatrThom

Dangit, @stienman, I knew I should've posted that here before I went to work today.
I read it over Kati's shoulder this morning and thought I KNOW EXACTLY WHERE THIS SHOULD GO.

And here it is.

--Patrick