So, Callistarya and I are getting married

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
The question is: Success according to who?
Valid question. So you have to ask yourself, if you don't want your crowd to have a good time why are you inviting them to the reception? Do you want to share your special day with them or are you just trolling for gifts? If you're trolling for gift by all means do whatever you want. If you want to share your day with them then why do everything for yourself and not take them into consideration? That seems selfish and counter-intuitive to what you are planning. You invited these people and are then going to ignore them and what could make them have a good time? That makes no sense.

Yes, I've done wedding were the bride & groom (or bride/bride, groom/groom) did what they wanted without regard to others. For example, one couple took dancing lessons so they wanted waltzes, sambas, tangos, etc. You get the picture. The crowd WANTED to have a good time. You can feel it when they are there to party and have a great time. But I couldn't. I had to play this crap that nobody but the bride & groom - who spent very little time on the dance floor - wanted to hear. The party broke up early, nobody had a good time and the couple bitched that their crowd complained.

makare, I very well could be a wedding planner, but I wouldn't do well because of people who hire them and then don't take their advice.

Again, Shego, when you get married you can do what you like. All of the vendors will do exactly as you want them to. But if you hire a hall, band/DJ, cake, caterer, etc. and then don't bother taking your guests into consideration you're going to end up with an early evening and a party that is remembered for being boring and regretful.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was simply talking about the cake. :bush:[/QUOTE]

I know. I dig it. I just get a little WARRLGARBL sometimes when it comes to wedding receptions. I just have to shake my head at the mistakes that are preventable.

C

callistarya

Dave: Pleasing the crowd before pleasing yourself on "your day"? I'm not seeing how that is the right move.
If you want the reception to be a success you follow this formula: The Wedding ceremony is for you, the reception is for everyone.

You can disbelieve me if you want. But I have a LOT of experience in this area and I will tell you that whether you see it or not does not change the truth of the situation.[/QUOTE]

Well said and thank you. We have even arranged for all types of music as well to fit everyone. We have songs from Nora Jones to Rob zombie. :))) The wedding party is going to do the cupid shuffle at the reception. (Tin's idea) :)

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

The question is: Success according to who?
Weddings.....are a show. Receptions.........are a party. The show is for you and your partner. The party is to have a blast and share a great time with everyone. Why wouldn't you consider what they will and will not like for the party. You would if you were throwing one at your house, right?

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

Fuck it!!!! no cake! Bananas Foster for everyone! heheheh

Cajungal

Staff member
Reminds me of a friend of mine. He told me that a wedding ceremony and reception is for your loved ones as much as you, otherwise you'd just elope, because you didn't care about including anyone. I think that's a bit simply put, but I agree with what he meant--that the guests deserve to feel comfortable and wanted. And it's not too hard to reach a balance between adding personal touches that you want and not excluding people.

On the subject of cake... my sister and her husband had two very unusual desserts--a bunch of round, mini-cakes in the shape of a cone and a guitar-shaped cake. They were both presented on the same table, and people loved them. Unusual or personal stuff doesn't have to exclude people, but in some cases it can. It all depends on how you do it and who's coming to the wedding, really. Everyone knows that my brother in law's a musician, so it wasn't this big unusual thing. Anyway..

My parent's wedding cake was pretty unusual. It was several layers of cake shaped like little white swans. They were absolutely horrified by the sight (they didn't choose the cake, I don't know who did), but the picture before the "classic" cutting the cake together one was of my father having said something funny about the cake and my mother laughing, bending slightly with her mouth open.
The shape of the cake didn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.