Export thread

So, who's snowed in?

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm looking at news reports and photos of the blizzard on the east coast of the US, and it looks pretty scary. I remember when we got 24 inches one year, back when I lived in Maryland, that was fun.

Anyone in the area?

Vagabond

V.Bond

Everything is shut down. The Metro, the buses, the museums, everything.

I fully expect to go to sleep, and wake up to a completely silent city. Except for maybe some snowplows.

It sure is striking though, and if I had anything other than this disposable camera, I'd have some really nice pictures to show.

Snow turns most of the people around here absolutley crazy though, so it should be interesting to see the inevitable chaos that will or won't break out now.

The only thing that bothers me is the possibility of losing power. But that's unlikely and would almost be worth is for all this glorious snow.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

24 inches in a year? There's 24 inches on my driveway right now.

Dusty668

South side of Charlotte NC reporting in, rain all night, as of 6:58 local even that has stopped and a few birds are singing half heartedly. No ice despite the forcasts and stores bereft of bread and milk.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It started a lot slower here in Maryland than they said it would, but it sure as hell picked up. Gotta be getting near two feet now.

People in our area seem to drive incredibly slow when the snow is out, and then they start speeding once the roads are clear. It's bizarre, like they were getting itchy with all the snow slowing them down and then go "WHEEE FAST TIMES!" when it's finally out of their way.

Anyway, Faline got the groceries yesterday, so we have nowhere to be this weekend anyway.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Newfoundland reporting: Look at all tht snow...thank god for land lords with plows.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

*giggles like crazy*

24 inches... snowed in... snow day.... *falls off his chair, laughing*

Chazwozel

In before pissing contest over snowfall.

**edited** Too late

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

*giggles like crazy*

That's about two-thirds of a meter to you!

Chazwozel

Newfoundland reporting: Look at all tht snow...thank god for land lords with plows.

When can your landlord swing by my place?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yay for Buffalo, where no one else's weather effects us!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, I feel confused. I moved south of New York, but they get 1 inch and I get 24?

My dad even called to gloat about it. -_-

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

*giggles like crazy*

That's about two-thirds of a meter to you![/QUOTE]

Dude, I know! XD

Rob King

Rob King

So, I just got home. I left my house on Thursday.

I went out for coffee with a friend. Once we were done with coffee, we went to her place to hang out. She had a few other friends coming over as well. It started to snow, and my friend said she didn't want to drive in the weather, so I just slept on the couch.

It snowed all night, and then all Friday. During a short let up in the snow, I walked to the gas station to buy chips and drink and such things. Another friend took advantage of the let-up and made it to the house I had stayed at.

The snow continued, and so began our Disney movie marathon. We played board games, shared stories, and laughed and joked the whole day away. The snow still hadn't let up, so we all spent the night again.

Did I mention that I was the only male in the whole house for the entire two days? The last 42 hours of my life might actually constitute the plot of an anime, conversations about the end of the world and the need to repopulate included.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

24 inches in a year? There's 24 inches in my pants right now.
Steady, Frankie ...

LittleSin

LittleSin

I think we got 40 cm lst night.

Rob King

Rob King

It didn't seem like a whole lot. But shit was it windy.

Chazwozel

I went out for coffee with a friend. Once we were done with coffee, we went to her place to hang out. She had a few other friends coming over as well. It started to snow, and my friend said she didn't want to drive in the weather, so I just slept on the couch.

It snowed all night, and then all Friday. During a short let up in the snow, I walked to the gas station to buy chips and drink and such things. Another friend took advantage of the let-up and made it to the house I had stayed at.

The snow continued, and so began our Disney movie marathon. We played board games, shared stories, and laughed and joked the whole day away. The snow still hadn't let up, so we all spent the night again.

Did I mention that I was the only male in the whole house for the entire two days? The last 42 hours of my life might actually constitute the plot of an anime, conversations about the end of the world and the need to repopulate included.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Steady, Frankie ...

So did you get in their pants?

Krisken

Krisken

We have some light flurries. That's about it. Yay!

Vagabond

V.Bond

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...or-massive-snowfall-dubbed-snowpocalypse.html

Snow really fucks our shit up.

Those nicknames suck though. From now on I dub this the Snowtorious B.I.G.

WolfOfOdin

Started snowing here at around 7 friday night, still going now and won't stop till 8. TIME TO FUCKING HUNT YETI!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Huh, I live in an area that is known for it's snowfall and we got nothing. It's cold as all get out, but no snow.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The weather in Atlanta has been all over the place this month. No real snow since early January though. It was nearly 60 a couple times last week and this past week it was 35-40.

Rob King

Rob King

I must regretfully admit that I did not.

Chazwozel

I must regretfully admit that I did not.[/QUOTE]

Necronic

Necronic

I'm hanging out outside on a beautiful sunny 65 degree day, enjoying the coffee and fresh air. What a beautiful day. Its this time of year that living in Houston allows me to chuckle at all your northerners and your 'snow' problems. How delightful! That's what you get for living in places that humans shouldn't! Now of course, come summer time you can throw this right back at me.....

Philosopher B.

FUCK SNOW. Fuck it hard. HNG.

- Philo-B, who doesn't own any boots.

Chazwozel

I'm hanging out outside on a beautiful sunny 65 degree day, enjoying the coffee and fresh air. What a beautiful day. Its this time of year that living in Houston allows me to chuckle at all your northerners and your 'snow' problems. How delightful! That's what you get for living in places that humans shouldn't! Now of course, come summer time you can throw this right back at me.....
Yeah well, the way I see it you've got it worse. Like droughts... and Mexicans!

WolfOfOdin

Yeah well, the way I see it you've got it worse. Like droughts... and Mexicans![/QUOTE]

Ok then.

I still live in Newark. NEWARK. I'm not gonna be surprised if I see a crack head outside sniffing the snow and hoping that it works

Necronic

Necronic

droughts? You sir have obviously never been to houston. Our biggest problem is flooding. I'm don't know the exact numbers but I'm guessing it kills at least a dozen people each year. At least.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hey, I chuckle at the fact that people seem to be so frickin' amazed with snow comin' down in the winter. Not to mention the fact that having snow up to one's ankles qualifies as 'snowed in' :p

- NR, who's never had a day off from school because of snow.

Wasabi Poptart

Last time I checked in with my parents this afternoon, they had close to 30 inches (76 cm, I think) of snow in the backyard with 4 foot (1.2 m) drifts in places around their yard. My dad told me he went out to use his snow blower and the snow was up over the housing of the machine. I think the last time there was snow like this was in 2003.

Philosopher B.

Hey, I chuckle at the fact that people seem to be so frickin' amazed with snow comin' down in the winter.
But, but ... I never gave it permission to snow in the winter. The weather has to consult with me first!

Edit: Also, did I mention fuck snow? Because fuck it. I nearly died earlier slipping around trying to get my car unearthed. Dammit, Al Gore, this shit wasn't supposed to happen!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hey, I chuckle at the fact that people seem to be so frickin' amazed with snow comin' down in the winter.
But, but ... I never gave it permission to snow in the winter. The weather has to consult with me first!

Edit: Also, did I mention fuck snow? Because fuck it. I nearly died earlier slipping around trying to get my car unearthed. Dammit, Al Gore, this shit wasn't supposed to happen![/QUOTE]

Actually, it's more likely you slipped on an icy patch. So when you curse ice, you also curse ever getting cold drinks, remedies to swelling and kinky things you do with your significant other.

Nice going, Batmanuel :p

Chazwozel

Hey, I chuckle at the fact that people seem to be so frickin' amazed with snow comin' down in the winter. Not to mention the fact that having snow up to one's ankles qualifies as 'snowed in' :p

- NR, who's never had a day off from school because of snow.[/QUOTE]

Well considering it's up to our knees, and our infrastructure isn't designed to accommodate that much snow, like you know, up in Finland...

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, no offense, but you totally sound like the non-threatening gay friend there.

Steady, Frankie ...
I try, but it's just so hard!

And that is the last time I play that stupid pun game that seems to be the fucking cool thing to do around here.

Kitty Sinatra

FUCK SNOW. Fuck it hard. HNG.

- Philo-B, who doesn't own any boots.
I rarely wear boots in the winter. Sneakers work just fine . . . and I walk to work through the snow and ice. My feet might be a little wet by the time I get where I'm going but it's never been close to being a problem.

I'll wear boots if I'm gonna be out for hours, or walking downtown Toronto during a melt since the slush floods the street corners.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well considering it's up to our knees, and our infrastructure isn't designed to accommodate that much snow, like you know, up in Finland...
Yes, because no one would believe it's going to snow this winter, too :p

Rob King

Rob King

Man, no offense, but you totally sound like the non-threatening gay friend there.
Uncomfortable truth is uncomfortable.

Zumbo Prime

Fuck this. I live in Canada, and we haven't gotten a single major storm. the plows have only been out like three times this season.

Rob King

Rob King

Have patience. I could roll around on my grass on Thursday. I now have four feet of snow on my lawn.

Although I will admit that this has been a bizarre winter. I remember trudging through snow for Halloween, but the snow just wouldn't stick around this year for more than two or three days after it fell.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Have patience. I could roll around on my grass on Thursday. I now have four feet of snow on my lawn.

And he did!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, shoveling the last couple days sucked, but I got off work today because most other areas and people did not shovel this weekend.

Chazwozel

Yes, because no one would believe it's going to snow this winter, too :p[/QUOTE]

We were up and running within the day in Philadelphia.

Considering your country is about 6 months out of the year covered in snow, I would expect Finland to be much better prepared for winter weather and anticipate a lot of snow. Hence pouring a lot of tax dollars into snow management. That's not how it works around the East Coast, US. We don't get 2-3 feet of snow on a consistent basis in my local area. In fact, last year Philly got two 'major' snow storms both equaling up to like 6 inches together. Some regions like Buffalo, NY and Pittsburgh, PA get tons of snow every year and so those cities are well prepared for accommodations. Philadelphia and Washington DC rarely get snow.

Sorry it's just a pet peeve of mine when people get smug about other localities deciding to shut things down over weather that's commonplace in their own region. I'm sure if an earthquake or series of tornadoes rolled through your local area, you'd be mad at me for laughing at your misfortunes? "Only a category 2...town shut down...massive rebuild...lol"

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Six months out of the year? Pfeh... Three or four in my part of the country, rarely five.

But I see your point. Comparing a plausible annual occurrence like snow to a freak occurrence like a tornado or an earthquake, however...

Chazwozel

Six months out of the year? Pfeh... Three or four in my part of the country, rarely five.

But I see your point. Comparing a plausible annual occurrence like snow to a freak occurrence like a tornado or an earthquake, however...
First off, I just want to let you know that my tone is lighthearted about the whole subject, so don't think I'm coming off yelling or scolding you or anything. :)

Earthquakes are pretty regular in California, and tornadoes are pretty common in Oklahoma. I think earthquakes are probably the most unpredictable natural disasters though so you're right in that aspect. You have to also understand that PennDott and SEPTA (the transit authorities in Pennsylvania and the city of Philadelphia) are probably the laziest, most incompetent motherf'ers on the planet.

Kitty Sinatra

Tornadoes are commonplace in some regions, while Washington had its largest snowfall in its history. That you're calling that a plausible annual occurrence makes no sense. None.

Now, a tornado that hit Toronto would be a freak occurrence . . . yet it still wouldn't deal as much damage to the city as a major snowfall. So yeah, I don't know why Chaz would compare a blizzard to a tornado.

Dave

Dave

You also have to take into account that the last few years have had lass snowfall in general while this year has set records.

For example, Omaha averages about 28.2 inches of snow a SEASON but we are already well above that and setting records for snowfall totals. It may not be the snowmaggedon other places are having but it just feels like a lot!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Tornadoes are commonplace in some regions, while Washington had its largest snowfall in its history. That you're calling that a plausible annual occurrence makes no sense. None.

Now, a tornado that hit Toronto would be a freak occurrence . . . yet it still wouldn't deal as much damage to the city as a major snowfall. So yeah, I don't know why Chaz would compare a blizzard to a tornado.[/QUOTE]

My bad, then. Certainly didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

I can still privately laugh my ass off, can't I? :p

Kitty Sinatra

If you do, the Karma Police will arrest you.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

First off, I just want to let you know that my tone is lighthearted about the whole subject, so don't think I'm coming off yelling or scolding you or anything. :)

Earthquakes are pretty regular in California, and tornadoes are pretty common in Oklahoma. I think earthquakes are probably the most unpredictable natural disasters though so you're right in that aspect. You have to also understand that PennDott and SEPTA (the transit authorities in Pennsylvania and the city of Philadelphia) are probably the laziest, most incompetent motherf'ers on the planet.[/QUOTE]

No prob, Chaz. Besides, it would be rather silly to have a flame war about weather? It would be like having a fist fight over a hunk of cheese (well, unless it's some really good cheese XD ).

Shannow

Shannow

Strangely enough, no snow here at all for the most part. Shit,. was blue skies all day saturday, and nice all friday too. usually, we get dumped on ehre more than most of you motherfuckers. Wierd to see the opposite for a change.

Chazwozel

Earthquakes are pretty regular in California, and tornadoes are pretty common in Oklahoma. I think earthquakes are probably the most unpredictable natural disasters though so you're right in that aspect. You have to also understand that PennDott and SEPTA (the transit authorities in Pennsylvania and the city of Philadelphia) are probably the laziest, most incompetent motherf'ers on the planet.[/QUOTE]

No prob, Chaz. Besides, it would be rather silly to have a flame war about weather? It would be like having a fist fight over a hunk of cheese (well, unless it's some really good cheese XD ).[/QUOTE]

THAT'S MY CHEESE, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!

Dave

Dave

No prob, Chaz. Besides, it would be rather silly to have a flame war about weather? It would be like having a fist fight over a hunk of cheese (well, unless it's some really good cheese XD ).[/QUOTE]

THAT'S MY CHEESE, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!![/QUOTE]

That's nacho cheese.

Chazwozel

THAT'S MY CHEESE, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!![/QUOTE]

That's nacho cheese.[/QUOTE]

wit whiz please.

Calleja

Calleja

S-snow? What's that? :wtf:

Chazwozel

S-snow? What's that? :wtf:
In Mexico, it's called rain. Just like iguanas are called squirrels.

Mexican snow = rain.

Mexican squirrel = iguana.

Calleja

Calleja

How can people get "rained in"? You're all like flooded? That sucks, get better sewage people.

Iguanas are good with salsa, though.

Adam

Adammon

I live in the fucking mountains next to a fucking skihill. That has no fucking snow.

And you fuckers are complaining about 24 inches of sweet, sweet neige.

Fucking fuckers!

FUUUUCCCCCKKK

:( $760 skipass and I've only used it 10 times. :(

bhamv3

bhamv3

You paid 760 dollars to skip ass?

Kitty Sinatra

I guess he's a boob, man.

GasBandit

GasBandit

66 degrees and cloudy here in Texas. Nice short-sleeves weather.

Vagabond

V.Bond

We're supposed to get anywhere from ten to twenty more inches of snow starting on Tuesday.

I predict riots soon.

makare

We're supposed to get anywhere from ten to twenty more inches of snow starting on Tuesday.

I predict riots soon.
Aw you just need a bigger shovel.

Does this mean all the stores are still closed? >.>

Chazwozel

I predict riots soon.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Expecting 10-16 in. here. Not too bad, but may be bad for folks who drive in or take NJTransit.

Chibibar

we "might" get snow this Thursday/Friday in Dallas area (it is a maybe) there will be snow, but the temp will be around 31 to 38.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Sometimes living in a desert really sucks, like during the summer, and sometimes I really wish I lived in a place that had actual winters. Reading about how much snow some of you are getting this season though has caused me to be grateful the worst precipitation I can expect is a bit of rain.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

More snow incoming, 10-18 inches.

I think my trip to New York is canceled...

Alucard

You know fuck you guys. The last college I was at recently before leaving. During winter the days would be like around between 4-18 degrees farenheit you motherfuckers.
Ice would actually be on the inside of my fucking windshield. You know how fucking hard it is to scrape off ice on the inside off your windshield?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, I had that too. It's funny how college went on even as the government closed down.

Chibibar

You know fuck you guys. The last college I was at recently before leaving. During winter the days would be like around between 4-18 degrees farenheit you motherfuckers.
Ice would actually be on the inside of my fucking windshield. You know how fucking hard it is to scrape off ice on the inside off your windshield?
I presume it is very hard if you are trying to get ice off and have sex with your windshield..... you are so weird ;)

Alucard

lol verry funny dude very funny. I probably went through like two or three ice scrapers per winter.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Considering I do that pretty much daily, its not that bad.

Philosopher B.

Please please please can my Uni cancel school tomorrow. That would be agreeable.

Also, holy fuck! Ice on the inside of the windshielf? That is some nasty shit.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's way too cold here normally for moisture to do that to a window on the inside. We all have to scrape our outside windshields though.

Vagabond

V.Bond

Philosopher B.

Oh balls yes! My Uni's website says shit will be closed through Wednesday evening.

What I said earlier about snow? I take it all back. Don't fuck it. Well, do. But gently. Maybe even make love and throw in some smooches too.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I live in Hawaii. I never get snowed in. No snow days for me. :-(

Shannow

Shannow

I love university students who want snow days. not like they are paying to be there or anything...

Shakey

Shakey

I want some more snow. We only got a little bit on Sunday. I have a tractor to clear all the snow in my driveway with though. The inner kid in me always says "Fuck yeah! Driving a tractor, making huge piles of snow! It doesn't get much better than this."

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, now I'm snowed in.

Blech.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I love university students who want snow days. not like they are paying to be there or anything...
I can understand wanting a day off I guess, but yeah, I mean how much cash are you sinking into this school? I'd want my money's worth.

Philosopher B.

Thing is, I have a five-page paper I need to finish/polish up that needs turning in on Thursday (didn't get enough time over the weekend), so now I can work on that more tomorrow, instead of heading to two long-ass classes, one of which was probably gearing up to show the class an old film I've already seen, and the other which is lorded over by a guy who is kind of randomly teaching what he wants because he is apparently on his way out.

Chazwozel

Not as long as they got mama and papa footing the bill.

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

I can understand wanting a day off I guess, but yeah, I mean how much cash are you sinking into this school? I'd want my money's worth.[/QUOTE]

No one forces student's to go to class. You can take a day off anytime you want to.'

Well shit, they shut Drexel down. Looks like I get a paid snow day!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

On note of the Facebook image above, they really do seem to be just waiting for it to melt. Only half my road was even plowed. They just don't have the equipment to handle heavy snow storms. There's no way we'd get three days off from school up in New York, and I lived in a tiny town. They still had the equipment, because they knew what was going to happen each winter. For DC this is unusual, and as is typical of the government, they don't know what the fuck to do when things don't go as planned.

I'll be shoveling soon...

Shakey

Shakey

My university had underground tunnels connecting every building on campus, including the dorms. You didn't have to go outside unless you wanted to, so we never cancelled classes.

Chazwozel

My university had underground tunnels connecting every building on campus, including the dorms. You didn't have to go outside unless you wanted to, so we never cancelled classes.

Damnnation, when I was in undergrad I was always wishing for something like that during the winters.

Shakey

Shakey

Damnnation, when I was in undergrad I was always wishing for something like that during the winters.[/QUOTE]

It was always interesting to see people in class with shorts and a t-shirt on when it was 15 below outside.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Damnnation, when I was in undergrad I was always wishing for something like that during the winters.[/QUOTE]

It was always interesting to see people in class with shorts and a t-shirt on when it was 15 below outside.[/QUOTE]

My school had those. Classes really only got canceled if the professors were physically unable to make it in.

Odie

Current total in my backyard is 52 in. Have had no work since last Fri and i probably wont for the rest of the week since the national guard has been activated. =) starting to go a lil stir crazy though. yay

Shannow

Shannow

Once more, average snow here today. I am really enjoying watching all these areas get nailed while we are left with nothing. This opposite effect is great.

hahahahaha, looks like DC will even beat us for most snowfall in a city this year!

Chazwozel

I hate you snow. All I need is a goddamn tauntaun walking across the background...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Philadelphia. I thought it smelled bad on the outside.*

Looks like our parking lot, sans scarf.

*If Chaz lives in Pittsburgh, I will look dumb.

blotsfan

blotsfan

And Buffalo still has nothing...

rabbitgod

I'm snowed in!

Nah, I'm just joking. Should get 18 inches in the mountains though, that's like snow right?

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I hate you snow. All I need is a goddamn tauntaun walking across the background...
*giggles* Silly... Chaz's snow-hate-rant-inducing day = average day in Finland :p

Calleja

Calleja

Tell you what, N_R is DEFINITELY not being paid by the Finland tourism board.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You're just jealous of our big piles of white stuff - not to mention the added benefit of doing certain things in cold winter nights to preserve body heat :p

Chazwozel

If only I had a snowmobile.

Rob King

Rob King

You never know. I had a big conversation with a friend who used to hate the tourism board's ad campaign for Newfoundland, particularly the slogan "About as far away from Disneyland as you can possibly get."

Her logic was that Disneyland was a fun place. Why the hell would you want to set yourself up as the opposite of that?

The answer is, of course, that the campaign aims to attract travelers who will appreciate our unique culture, history, and the feeling of untouched-ness that Newfoundland has. As opposed to the mickey-ears-wearing mom & kids who just want to ride fun rides and see giant stuffed costumes. Not that there's anything wrong with Disneyland, but ... there are Disney people, and then there are Florence people.

Alucard

Got another two to four inches of friggin snow. When are we going to see the actually ground for a change?

Odie

ill post some pics of the snow when i get a chance... snow drift on my door is now over 6 ft high. almost covers the entire garage door.

Philosopher B.

School's cancelled again for tomorrow. Guess I'll have to email that essay. It looks freaky as shit out back of the house, though. Like goddamn sand dunes.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Ha, today the temperature went over 0 degrees after we had 3 days of snow... now it's like a swamp out there... a very slippery swamp... i miss the old days, when snow melted around the 1st of march and winter was winter, not autumn half the time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I hate snow.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Weather.com says we're going to have "heavy snow" for the next 30 minutes. 2-4 inches.

30 minutes ago, there was nothing, so Callistarya didn't leave for work early I imagine now she'll be late.

I have VPN, so i'm staying home..whee ;)

Shannow

Shannow

And Buffalo still has nothing...

heh, Syracuse aint much better, jsut the average lake effect now!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

still snowing. Huge fat flakes. I imagine the kids will be out of school tomorrow too.

Chibibar

HUGE snow flakes but we still have school (so I'm at work) bleh!