Export thread

Sochi Winter Olympics General Thread.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I want a thread about the stories happening at the Olympics, "Up Close and Personal"

Please no spoilers, I imagine most people will watch these games at least on the prime time shows, I'll DVR all that I can and watch them into the wee hours. There are several sports sites that give results.

My first story, a Mexican Ski Jumper is participating at his 5th Olympics and he is going out in style...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Two members of the US women's curling team are from Wisconsin, including Debbie McCormick, the vice skip from Rio (RYE-oh).

By the way: I've driven through Rio. It's not much of a town.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I thought that picture was from The Onion or something like it?

I love the Olympics. I don't know what it is about them, but summer or winter, I'm an addict. I was literally watching the London games when I was giving birth to my son. (Men's volleyball, iirc.) Then again, now that cable plays the events 24 hours a day, it's a little hard not to get obsessed. Or maybe it's the sleep deprivation talking. :confused:

jwhouk

jwhouk

FYI: Sochi is 9 hours difference from the Eastern Time Zone of the US.

Terrik

Terrik

FYI: Sochi is 9 hours difference from the Eastern Time Zone of the US.
The only time zone that matters.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, it's for reference for our US audience. :p

Tress

Tress

I'm in Cali, your reference sucks. :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well then, for you, just change the AM to PM and you're good.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Of course, they list events in 24-hour time, so you'd still need to subtract 12 from the start time.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Soo....

The toilets:

Hockey Team bedrooms:

Yeah, going to be some real peak performances there :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

The translation is "Rooms athletes in the Olympic Village Sochi", by the way.

Shakey

Shakey

I just can't wait to see some curling. SWEEEEEEEEEEP!

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, no - "HURRY HURRY HARDHARDHARDHAAARRRRRDD!"

Shakey

Shakey

The curling class I took in college was one of the funnest classes I've ever taken. I really need to join a local club. It's a surprisingly fun sport.

GasBandit

GasBandit

What a farce this is turning out to be. Even by IOC standards.

strawman

strawman

I wonder if NBC will fix that in post production, or simply not show it, using other camera angles and cuts. Or just show enough of it to acknowledge that it happened, but spend very little time on it...

Dave

Dave

The Opening Ceremony*

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I wonder if NBC will fix that in post production, or simply not show it, using other camera angles and cuts. Or just show enough of it to acknowledge that it happened, but spend very little time on it...
Fix what? That first photo is fake/bad/something, obviously. Here is the the real, official photo of the completely normal, totally not screwed up opening. :awesome:

Dave

Dave

Wait. Isn't that the BP logo? Viral marketing, anyone?

Dei

Dei

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I'm starting to hope that outright mockery may achieve more than boycotting ever could.

strawman

strawman

We've already got a https://www.halforums.com/threads/the-sochi-olympics-and-gay-rights.30123/ thread - can those posts go there?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I was kinda hoping one of the two threads was about the actual, you know, games and such.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I thought this one was supposed to be. :(
Also, not too much has happened yet. As of last night, we only got some highlights from the slope style, the moguls and team skate. No medals yet. The only thing I can say is that I preferred Canada's pairs skate to Russia's, even though Russia scored higher. The Canada pair just seemed to be more relaxed and enjoying it, although I know that doesn't win you points.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Russian Police Choir sang "Get Lucky" in the opening ceremonies. It was pretty sweet. Though, the looks on the faces of those singing was telling. The younger men were thinking "Boy, this is fun!" and the older men were thinking "In my day, men were sent to Siberia for less than this."

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/russian-police-choir-performs-get-lucky-opening-ceremony

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wait... Australia has a Winter Olympic team????

jwhouk

jwhouk

Okay, I have to say this: every tie I see Gracie Gold, I somehow think she's Little Kagsin's doppleganger.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Okay, I have to say this: every tie I see Gracie Gold, I somehow think she's Little Kagsin's doppleganger.
Do we know Kag's real name? Hmm? Hmmm? :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

So this guy Shiva Keshavan, in the luge event, crashed his luge... and managed to remount and continue.

phil

phil

What's worse than women's cross country skiing? The commentators for women's cross country skiing. You just can't make some things sound interesting.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I would bet that the luger probably had some things broken after that run.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Every time they announce the height of the trails in the downhill events (ski jump, downhill ski, etc.), my stomach knots up.I HATE heights. I know it's a gradual descent, but starting at a height of 3 Empire State Buildings...? :puke:

Telephius

Telephius

The thing I don't get about the luge event is even if you get the gold you are still a luger. ;)

strawman

strawman

The Olympics needs more vuvuzelas.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Not NBC, but the Russian broadcast...
Konstantin Ernst, executive creative director of the opening ceremony, told reporters at a news conference that he called down to master control to tell them to go the practice footage when he realized what happened.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...tion-mars-sochi-opening-ceremo/#ixzz2stQQkLEm
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/7/olympic-ring-malfunction-mars-sochi-opening-ceremo/

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Olympics needs more vuvuzelas.
The Sochi Games Spectator Guide specifically prohibits vuvuzelas from the venues.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Sochi Games Spectator Guide specifically prohibits vuvuzelas from the venues.
But the Swiss bring their cowbells...

I need to find the 'that's racist' gif.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Russian Speedskater has a little... "wardrobe malfunction" after her race that gave her the bronze in the women's 3,000-meter competition.

Bubble181

Bubble181

"Content not available in my location." Nipple slip or similar, or did her costume "happen" to fall open and reveal her brightly rainbow-colored underwear as a subtly critique of Putin's policies? :p

Celt Z

Celt Z

Unless someone knows something I don't, she just unzipped low enough that it was clear she wasn't wearing a bra, then realized it and zipped back up. Unless an exposed clavicle is your thing, I don't see why it was that big a deal.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Content not available in my location." Nipple slip or similar, or did her costume "happen" to fall open and reveal her brightly rainbow-colored underwear as a subtly critique of Putin's policies? :p
Yeah, she just forgot where she was in the moment for a sec and unzipped so she could breathe better, down to about mid-stomach. Then the penny dropped, and she zipped back up.

Jay

Jay

What a farce this is turning out to be. Even by IOC standards.

Covar

Covar

Please tell me that's real.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The next McKayla Maroney has arrived.

Another Olympics, another athlete's candid reaction to falling short of her goal...

Ashley Wagner was none too happy with her 63.10 score in the figure skating team competition. And, as athletes are likely to do in a moment of passion (looking at you, Richard Sherman...), Wagner didn't hesitate to express her emotion.

Dave

Dave

"Bullshit."

Even I could lipread that.

Frank

Frank

Thing I've learned so far during these Olympics, Canada has freestyle skiing on lockdown.

Jay

Jay

Legit.

strawman

strawman

Sorry, but no, it was from a reddit user.

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/1xirk2/new_audi_ad_nailed_it/

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Thing I've learned so far during these Olympics, Canada has freestyle skiing on lockdown.
More accurately, Quebec does.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I recall during the summer Olympics everyone being all bent out of shape about the quality of NBC's coverage. Change to a Canadian IP address.

Frank

Frank

No one matches the CBC for Olympic coverage. It's fucking incredible.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I was in Toronto during the Nagano games. The first thing the CBC put on after they signed off at the end of their coverage was Cool Runnings. It just felt right. :)

Bubble181

Bubble181

And the Dutch are the only people who know how to tie on a skate.
Don't know if it's stil lthe case, but they were leading the overall medal count yesterday. The population of the Netherlands is smaller than that of NY State!

Frank

Frank

Canada leads medals, well three way tie but Canada has the most high end medals. I expect that not to last long.

Covar

Covar

I recall during the summer Olympics everyone being all bent out of shape about the quality of NBC's coverage. Change to a Canadian IP address.
whelp, looks like I'm signing up for a VPN service today.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...ith-a-canadian-passport--photo-012713738.html

Man, I love Canada. There is a Molson Beer Fridge in the Canadian Athletes house. It only opens if you scan a Canadian Passport!

Dave

Dave

No Bob Costas today. Pinkeye, bitches!

Shakey

Shakey

Damn, US curling isn't doing so hot so far.

Dave

Dave

Damn, US curling isn't doing so hot so far.
I'm fascinated by curling. There's no reason I should like it but I just love to watch.

Covar

Covar

There's a curling club in my area, they're having an open house at the end of February, I think I'm going to try it out.

Shakey

Shakey

I'm fascinated by curling. There's no reason I should like it but I just love to watch.
It almost feels like one big slow motion replay. Watching the rock slowly creep down the ice, people on the team yelling, seeing it nudge itself into the perfect position. It's also a nice relaxing sport to watch.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Piotyr

Piotyr

Halfpipe spoilers that cause me not to want to live on this planet anymore:

A guy by the name of "I-Pod" won gold by doing a "YOLO". Seriously.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I always want to call back, YODO / You Only Die Once

Adam

Adam

Spoiler alert! Brad Jacobs, the Canadian mens curling skip is my doppleganger. It's uncanny.

XX

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Did your Dad travel much?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Time to ask your parents some difficult questions about a "lost twin".

Celt Z

Celt Z

Iouri Podladtchikov has been a pretty big name in the snowboarding world for a while now. Never heard of that move, though. Last Olympics (or was it one of the X Games? might have been an X Games) he had a board with the TISM rabbit on it. I've been trying to find that board ever since.

Adam

Adam

Time to ask your parents some difficult questions about a "lost twin".
True story; I posted his picture as my Facebook profile pic and my mom called me to say how happy she is I started curling again.

And then she got in an argument with my dad because he thought it was me and she said it wasn't.

strawman

strawman

I wish I had an Olympic doppelgänger...

jwhouk

jwhouk

It almost feels like one big slow motion replay. Watching the rock slowly creep down the ice, people on the team yelling, seeing it nudge itself into the perfect position. It's also a nice relaxing sport to watch.
Not if you're watching the US Women's team.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Did Ralph Lauren outsource to Molly Weasley to make the US team uniforms this year?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Japan's womens' hockey team scored it's first Olympic goal:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Really, that should have been their second goal.

This was waved off as a no goal.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not from this year, but whatever. This one's for tha ladies. Well, and anyone else who fancies such I suppose.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Really, that should have been their second goal.

This was waved off as a no goal.
How is this NOT a goal?? (Not yelling at you, checkerdhat, but at the officials.)

Bubble181

Bubble181

How is this NOT a goal?? (Not yelling at you, checkerdhat, but at the officials.)
The ref had a choice: in favor of Russia and sleep in a hotel with actual beds, water and heating, or in favor of Japan and sleep among some Chechen rebels in a hovel next to a leaking nuclear power plant.

...At least, I guess it must be something like that :p

Celt Z

Celt Z

So, you're saying the temp company is Russia...?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hmmno, I'm saying I had several tabs open and put that bit at the wrong place :p[DOUBLEPOST=1392210533,1392210112][/DOUBLEPOST]

Covar

Covar

So thanks to @checkeredhat, I'm watching the USA-Canada women's hockey game live. It's a little frustrating having to deal with Canadian coverage, but at least there's live coverage. No cable subscription required either.

Using my new Chromecast to watch everything on the TV. Works pretty well from my gaming PC.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I figured, but it was funnier to point it out that way. ;)

Bubble181

Bubble181

I figured, but it was funnier to point it out that way. ;)
I hadn't expected anyone to catch onto my allegorical story so fast and cut to the point so directly; it made the whole exercise futile:cry:

strawman

strawman

So thanks to @checkeredhat, I'm watching the USA-Canada women's hockey game live. It's a little frustrating having to deal with Canadian coverage, but at least there's live coverage. No cable subscription required either.

Using my new Chromecast to watch everything on the TV. Works pretty well from my gaming PC.
I need to do that too, I was expecting NBC to show it live as well, and they had stupid fluff coverage of people talking about the previous days events, not even yesterday's, but the stuff shown yesterday on nbc which was already nearly a day old.

NBC is frustrating.[DOUBLEPOST=1392222209,1392222156][/DOUBLEPOST]Germany has the most golds, and the US is in fourth place in total medal count.

Are there upcoming events which should turn the medal count around for us?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I need to do that too, I was expecting NBC to show it live as well, and they had stupid fluff coverage of people talking about the previous days events, not even yesterday's, but the stuff shown yesterday on nbc which was already nearly a day old.?
Try NBCSN, the old Versus network.

strawman

strawman

Try NBCSN, the old Versus network.
I don't have cable, just over the air and whatever they let you stream without paying.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Germany has the most golds, and the US is in fourth place in total medal count.

We definitely have a shot at women's hockey and women's halfpipe, though the competition in both is super fierce.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I don't have cable, just over the air and whatever they let you stream without paying.
Good luck with hockey, then. Or anything else that isn't figure skating.

Covar

Covar

I need to do that too, I was expecting NBC to show it live as well, and they had stupid fluff coverage of people talking about the previous days events, not even yesterday's, but the stuff shown yesterday on nbc which was already nearly a day old.

NBC is frustrating.[DOUBLEPOST=1392222209,1392222156][/DOUBLEPOST]Germany has the most golds, and the US is in fourth place in total medal count.

I started a 7-day trial of Unblock-Us. It was super easy to setup They're a DNS service instead of a VPN, so once I configured my router I was good to go.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I started a 7-day trial of Unblock-Us. It was super easy to setup They're a DNS service instead of a VPN, so once I configured my router I was good to go.
I thought unblock-us was a VPN. I don't think you can spoof geolocation with just DNS, it just translates names to numbers for you, the client, it doesn't have anything to do with your destination website determining your location.

Most routers these days though do support vpn.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Quick to start first game for US.

Covar

Covar

I thought unblock-us was a VPN. I don't think you can spoof geolocation with just DNS, it just translates names to numbers for you, the client, it doesn't have anything to do with your destination website determining your location.

Most routers these days though do support vpn.
You configure it by changing your DNS servers. They handle everything from their servers, and supposedly only when needed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You configure it by changing your DNS servers. They handle everything from their servers, and supposedly only when needed.
Ah, I just had a moment of clarity and realized how a dns-only solution would work. Clever. But also dangerous. If I were you I wouldn't do anything involving your bank account while that's in place.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Two more, gold and bronze, in the women's half-pipe. :)

Celt Z

Celt Z

Germany has the most golds, and the US is in fourth place in total medal count.
I thought Norway was in first, or at least it was last I checked. Did Germany pass it?

strawman

strawman

I thought Norway was in first, or at least it was last I checked. Did Germany pass it?
I'm making a distinction between two methods of measurement.

Norway has the most total medals. The USA is fourth in total medals.

Germany has the most gold medals (6). Norway has only four, and the US has three.

So while Norway is beating everyone in total medal count (and that seems to be how people rank nations), it's notable that while Germany has fewer overall medals, they still have the most golds.

Frank

Frank

Frustrating as having to deal with the DNS stuff, or frustrating as in having to watch it on CBC? Because I can watch NBC coverage and I'll take CBC coverage any day.
I'm making a distinction between two methods of measurement.

Norway has the most total medals. The USA is fourth in total medals.

Germany has the most gold medals (6). Norway has only four, and the US has three.

So while Norway is beating everyone in total medal count (and that seems to be how people rank nations), it's notable that while Germany has fewer overall medals, they still have the most golds.
I like the gold system solely because of a quote from the Simpsons.

"Glorious gold, mediocre silver and shameful bronze."

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Also the Gold system is used by the CBC for its Rankings.
Frustrating as having to deal with the DNS stuff, or frustrating as in having to watch it on CBC? Because I can watch NBC coverage and I'll take CBC coverage any day.

I like the gold system solely because of a quote from the Simpsons.

"Glorious gold, mediocre silver and shameful bronze."
if hes talking about the hockey game, CBC has some pretty terrible commentators/ analysts. Im assuming, anyway, that Glenn Healy and PJ Stock are both there.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

GasBandit

GasBandit

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Is the weather particularly painful over there now or did the Russian Olympic Committee just not give a fuck about track/run conditions?

It seems like every snow sport is dealing with a much higher-than-usual number of falls attributed to poor maintenance conditions.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here's a gif version for any who want it:

Shakey

Shakey

Is the weather particularly painful over there now or did the Russian Olympic Committee just not give a fuck about track/run conditions?

It seems like every snow sport is dealing with a much higher-than-usual number of falls attributed to poor maintenance conditions.
I've heard it's warmer than they'd like. 40's in the higher locations, and upper 50's in the lower elevations. So I'm guessing the snow isn't the greatest.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Us women hockey got screwed by the refs they got screwed by not calling penalties on Canada then they blew the whistle before the puck went into the net then they said reviewed it and called it a goal anyway... Wow...

Covar

Covar

CBC. Big international tournament and I'm stuck with away coverage. I'm right there with you on NBC having terrible sports coverage. It seems like there's no good national sports commentators.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CBC. Big international tournament and I'm stuck with away coverage. I'm right there with you on NBC having terrible sports coverage. It seems like there's no good national sports commentators.
Of course there aren't... the good ones want to get paid to work more than 2 weeks every 2 years.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Deb McCormick is the David Legwand of women's curling.

Occasional moments of brilliance surrounded by frustration and failure.

Dear Erika: Stack the brooms now.

EDIT: Oh, and we wuz robbed against the Canuckleheads.

Frank

Frank

Nope.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've heard it's warmer than they'd like. 40's in the higher locations, and upper 50's in the lower elevations. So I'm guessing the snow isn't the greatest.
As I've pointed out before, they've had most of the snow flown in from the mountains, and made part on location as artifical snow. The climate is mediterranean - it's currently warmer in Sochi than Rome or Athens. It's completely ridiculous to hold Winter Olympics there, but hey, money and power. Qatar in 8 years will be even worse.

Covar

Covar

So I was about to praise the CBC for showing the USA game like it was women's curly between Norway and Japan, without commentary. Then all of a sudden, BOOM! someone woke up. :(

Shakey

Shakey

As I've pointed out before, they've had most of the snow flown in from the mountains, and made part on location as artifical snow. The climate is mediterranean - it's currently warmer in Sochi than Rome or Athens. It's completely ridiculous to hold Winter Olympics there, but hey, money and power. Qatar in 8 years will be even worse.
Sounds like today it got up to the 70's. Not the best weather for snow.
I read an article on what they did. They have an insane stockpile of snow that they flew in and are using for the base. On top of that they blow the manmade snow to make it useable. No wonder this is one of the most expensive olympics in history.

Bubble181

Bubble181

one of the most expensive olympics in history.
It's now over the cost for all other Winter Olympics combined. Adjusted for inflation, even. It's just that ridiculous.

It's nearing the cost of the Summer Olympics - and those are jsut the tiniest bit bigger :p

Celt Z

Celt Z

What is up with the Sochi ice rink? I'm watching the mens skate and every single guy has fallen at least once during their routine. I think Pleshinko (sp?) even dropped out.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Winter Olympics have less than a quarter of the total number of events between the winter and summer games. London had 301 different events; Sochi has only 98.[DOUBLEPOST=1392313502,1392313088][/DOUBLEPOST]
What is up with the Sochi ice rink? I'm watching the mens skate and every single guys has fallen at least once during their routine. I think Pleshinko (sp?) even dropped out.
Humidity, I'm suspecting. The ice surface is greatly affected by humidity levels inside and outside the arena. It's one reason why NHL teams in Stanley Cup playoffs sometimes have a dehumidifier system trucked in as an add-on to the arena's HVAC system, just so the ice doesn't get sloppy and mushy. It probably doesn't help that the figure skating venue is also home to the short-track speed skating events, which really mess up the ice.

EDIT - Dug up an old reference from the 2010 games - the "ideal" ice temps of each of the surfaces:

Speed skating - 16°F
Ice Hockey - 18°F
Curling - 20°F
Short Track Speed skating - 22°F
Bobsled - 23°F
Figure Skating - 26°F

Shakey

Shakey

What is up with the Sochi ice rink? I'm watching the mens skate and every single guys has fallen at least once during their routine. I think Pleshinko (sp?) even dropped out.
Speaking of that.

Ouch...

Jay

Jay

ulGEO0s.gif

Russian Hunger Games?

Celt Z

Celt Z

In Russia, that's how you get a promotion at your job. Any job.

GasBandit

GasBandit

In Russia, that's how you get a promotion at your job. Any job.
In Soviet Russia, promotion gets YOU!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

WHAT A COUNTRY!

Frank

Frank

This is something I was thinking about. I think medal counts are silly and being boastful of them even sillier (mostly this). You have like 100 god damn medal opportunities for that ice track. Luge, doubles luge, relay luge, bobsled, team bobsled (etc if I forgot any) in both women's and men's and then you have 1 medal opportunity per sex in hockey and you have to win a God damn tournament to do it. That hockey gold medal is worth like 20 bobsled gold medals.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I think the individual medals should count one each, and the team medals should count 1 per team member.

strawman

strawman

Make a chart, and as long as the US comes out on top I'll back it.

:troll:

Adam

Adam

Speaking of that.

Ouch...
What. A. Fucking. Tard.

Ice SLIPPERY.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Now, now, vice-skip. Remember your broom-stacking. :D ;)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

This is something I was thinking about. I think medal counts are silly and being boastful of them even sillier (mostly this). You have like 100 god damn medal opportunities for that ice track. Luge, doubles luge, relay luge, bobsled, team bobsled (etc if I forgot any) in both women's and men's and then you have 1 medal opportunity per sex in hockey and you have to win a God damn tournament to do it. That hockey gold medal is worth like 20 bobsled gold medals.
To be fair, most of those events have essentially a tournament as well. You do have to come in the top x in order to get a chance in the medal round.
but you also get to have as many teams or people competing for your country as can qualify in just about all those events, but only one hockey team and one curling team.

Krisken

Krisken

Thought I'd share since this is making the rounds on Tumblr

I want to be this happy!

Frank

Frank

I have never been that happy.

Terrik

Terrik

I just want to make other people that happy.

Celt Z

Celt Z

...guilty.:oops:

I have a habit of breaking out into random dance steps, even in the supermarket. But since I'm not an adorable Olympian, people don't put me on Tumblr, they just try to avoid eye-contact.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You just need to learn how to luge, CeltZ. ;)

Celt Z

Celt Z

Hmmmm... judging the current condition of my yard, I should be able to start learning right now! :thumbsup:

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I love the Luge and bobsled. and because of Cool Runnings I'm rooting for Jamaica LOL

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I keep thinking they could add a sliding all around event. Two runs luge on Day 1, two runs skeleton on Day 2.

jwhouk

jwhouk

If you are not watching USA vs. Russia men's hockey right now - SHAME ON YOU!

And don't give me that "it's too early" crap. It's SATURDAY MORNING. This stuff beats cartoons any day.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I'm at work or I would be. What's the score?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Take that Communism.

Next up, Oshies vs Slovenia.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

USA USA USA!!!

jwhouk

jwhouk

T. J. Oshie.

He just became a Real American Hero.

BErt

I had no idea international rules allowed you to keep using the same shooter, but I'm glad they do!

Also - holy shit - it is terrifying having to root against Datsyuk.

Covar

Covar

I had no idea international rules allowed you to keep using the same shooter, but I'm glad they do!

Also - holy shit - it is terrifying having to root against Datsyuk.
Yes. Yes it is.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

After the first three shooters you can use whoever you want in the shootout

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Heh. The Bolshoy Ice Dome, which projects the score of the current game on its exterior, didn't display the final score of the USA-Russia game.
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014...oesnt-display-usa-russia-score-after-american

jwhouk

jwhouk

"The American heroes are wearing camo. That's not me." - T.J. Oshie

This quote is the reason why I love hockey.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

grub

grub

I'm sorry to find out that the US will not medal this year.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm just sad that we have to play the Gold Medal Game in the semifinals. :p

grub

grub

I know, but then to lose is even worse.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Well, yeah, we'll be gentle on you. Just pray it doesn't go into a shootout. ;)

Dei

Dei

Love some sweet ass checks. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's using your head!

Covar

Covar

Sweeden must be so happy they got put in group C. Some real tough teams over in group C.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Speaking of Sweden: someone call the IIHF and request the rest of the semifinal between their women's team and team USA go to straight running time for the rest of the game.

Dave

Dave

Hey, Bode Miller, is your brother dead? Did your medal mean more because your brother died? Hey, when you talk to the sky before your runs is it because your brother died? Did I mention your dead brother? Why are you crying?

*camera stays with Miller as he kneels down out of sight*

*other skiers block the camera shot*

*change angles and stay with Miller*

Fucking classless assholes.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I didn't see the clip, but I read various summaries. Disgraceful and disrespectful.

EDIT: Just watched it. They crushed him, and then they lingered on him, drinking it in. I'm speechless.

Dave

Dave

[DOUBLEPOST=1392652358,1392652318][/DOUBLEPOST]The youtuber added the music, so disregard that.[DOUBLEPOST=1392652416][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm trying to find the whole thing on YouTube, but they are being taken down fairly quickly. You end up with shit like the above.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

[DOUBLEPOST=1392652358,1392652318][/DOUBLEPOST]The youtuber added the music, so disregard that.[DOUBLEPOST=1392652416][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm trying to find the whole thing on YouTube, but they are being taken down fairly quickly. You end up with shit like the above.
They have to add the music to avoid copyright claims.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Freaking NBC. And ABC.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Frank

Frank

I love the black Canadian hockey jersey. Makes us look like villains in the Mighty Ducks.

Frank

Frank

Agreed, fuck judged sports in the olympics.

I ain't even mad about the medal results, because I don't care about figure skating and ice dancing and such, but I personally loath judged sports in the olympics just because how corrupt they are.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Welp, so much for that.

Ancient One Selanne scores the gamer and sends the host nations home with a loss in the quarterfinals.

Shakey

Shakey

So, the US attempt at curling this year was pretty sad. Curling really only gained popularity here after the 2010 Olympics, maybe the one before it but that's still only about 8 years, so the fact that we don't have real strong teams isn't surprising. I did read a pretty good article on where to go from here though. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rious-crossroad-after-disastrous-sochi-result

TommiR

TommiR

Finland just knocked Russia out of men's ice hockey.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...lympics-ice-hockey-tournament-to-Finland.html

Sweden, you're next.

Dave

Dave

Agreed, fuck judged sports in the olympics.

I ain't even mad about the medal results, because I don't care about figure skating and ice dancing and such, but I personally loath judged sports in the olympics just because how corrupt they are.
Ze grapes...zey are zo, zo zour.

strawman

strawman

Canada is just barely holding it's own against Latvia.

The US has a three point lead against The Czech Republic.

Sweden, however, has really been smashing teams up. As much as I'm cheering for Finland, I'm wondering if they'll manage to beat Sweden.

Covar

Covar

Canada has just not been playing as well as I expected them to. Much like divisional games, that will mean nothing when team USA plays them.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Canada is just barely holding it's own against Latvia.
Dude, puck possession for Canada is over 90%, the Latvian goalie is having the greatest game of his life.

As to the refs....do you need to shame them like that? Yes he made an impossibly horrible call, he knows it. Don't remind him by putting up on the replay in the arena.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Well, Sweden-Finland and USA-Canada. That should be fun.

Russia ends up being the one of the 5 serious contenders that loses at musical chairs.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Russia might become a contender again when they start sending their best players rather than some of their best players with a few KHLers to promote the league.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I can't remember the last time I thought of the Russians as a great team instead of a team with great players.

edit: Just read a telling stat, the Russians have not one a best vs best hockey tournament since 1981...

Piotyr

Piotyr

Wow, I'm not sure I've seen a supposed gold medal figure skating favorite screw up that bad before.

TommiR

TommiR

Sweden, however, has really been smashing teams up. As much as I'm cheering for Finland, I'm wondering if they'll manage to beat Sweden.
Sounds to me like someone's just not thinking positive.

strawman

strawman

Oh that is funny, and unfortunately spot on.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Its a funny article, but if they really want to have people pretend the sports are equal, they should be allowed to hit like the men can.

strawman

strawman

Its a funny article, but if they really want to have people pretend the sports are equal, they should be allowed to hit like the men can.
I didn't realize there was a difference, color me informed! http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702303650204579374802885697202.html (long URL is long)

The two line brawls last year between the U.S. and Canada proved women's hockey can get plenty physical.

But all the bumping and shoving that goes on between world's two best teams belies a fundamental truth: If they're playing by the rules, women play a daintier game of hockey than their male counterparts. In women's hockey, body checking—a core tactic of the men's game—isn't allowed.
Some fans gripe that the women's game would be more exciting if they were allowed to flatten each other on the open ice—as they did for years. But the 1970s and 1980s produced vigorous debates in the U.S. and Canada over whether to ban the practice, and eventually it became outlawed in international play. A return to body checking hasn't been seriously considered.

But the game has plenty of body contact even with the rule, players say. "For someone to say there's no body checking and no hits is naive," said Team USA forward Monique Lamoureux. "It happens."

Today, most players and coaches say they like a style of play that encourages speed over brute strength.

"It allows for more development of the skill of the game, and size isn't a limiting factor for players," said Julie Chu, who is playing in her fourth Olympics for Team USA in Sochi. "It's still a really physical game."

Hockey is one of the few major sports whose rules are different for men and women. Lacrosse also bans checking in the women's game.

Fran Rider, president of the Ontario Women's Hockey Association and a former player herself, has argued both sides of the body-checking debate. Allowing the practice would lend more credibility to the women's game, could motivate more people to watch and might reduce dirty play with sticks as a way to vent frustration, she said. But, ultimately, Rider thinks the game is better off without it.

"The game is faster and it highlights skills without body checking," said Rider, who lobbied to get women's hockey into the Olympics. "And lesser-skilled players and teams could use intimidation and goon tactics to injure skilled players on other teams."

Parents are more apt to let their kids play, she said, and professional women are more likely to play with less risk of getting a black eye or tooth knocked out. Unlike professional men, women who play at the highest levels almost always need another source of income.

The U.S. women are looking to end an Olympic gold-medal drought: They won the inaugural women's gold in Nagano in 1998, but Canada has won every Olympic tournament since.

During a pre-Olympic match in December, with the U.S. leading Canada 4-1, tempers flared in the waning minutes and led to a bevy of on-ice fights between several players on each team. An earlier match also ended in fight.

And they're on a collision course again: The U.S. team has started off well in Sochi, defeating Finland 3-1 last week and flattening the Swiss 9-0 on Monday. Canada beat Switzerland 5-0 in its first game and topped Finland 3-0 on Monday.
Looks like the changed the format this year too, specifically due to the power of the US and Canadian women's hockey teams: http://www.businessinsider.com/usa-canada-womens-ice-hockey-rules-2014-2

Instead of splitting up the United States and Canada into different preliminary groups, they are now in the same group with an automatic bye into the knockout stage (via Puck Daddy).
During the preliminary round of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada won their three games by scores of 18-0, 10-1, and 13-1. The United States won their three preliminary games by scores of 12-1, 13-0, and 6-0.
Now the U.S. and Canada will have to play each other along with the third and fourth best teams in the tournament, Finland and Switzerland.
The catch is that all four teams will advance to the knockout stage. The only thing on the line in the preliminary stage for this group is seeding, with the top two teams receiving byes into the semifinal round.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I didn't realize there was a difference, color me informed! http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303650204579374802885697202?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303650204579374802885697202.html (long URL is long)

Looks like the changed the format this year too, specifically due to the power of the US and Canadian women's hockey teams: http://www.businessinsider.com/usa-canada-womens-ice-hockey-rules-2014-2
There is virtually no parity in women's hockey right now, but other countries are starting to close the gap, specifically with goaltending.

Even so, to demonstrate how uneven the playing field (ice) is, behold:
2010 Olympics:
  • USA 12, China 1
  • USA 13, Russia 0
  • USA 6, Finland 0
  • USA 9, Sweden 1
USA Goals For: 40
USA Goals Against: 2
  • Canada 18, Slovakia 0
  • Canada 10, Switzerland 1
  • Canada 13, Sweden 1
  • Canada 5, Finland 0
  • Canada 2, USA 0
Canada Goals For: 48
Canada Goals Against: 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2010_Winter_Olympics_–_Women's_tournament

2006 Olympics:
  • USA 6, Switzerland 0
  • USA 5, Germany 0
  • USA 7, Finland 3
  • USA 2, Sweden 3
  • USA 4, Finland 0
USA Goals For: 24
USA Goals Against: 6
  • Canada 16, Italy 0
  • Canada 12, Russia 0
  • Canada 8, Sweden 1
  • Canada 6, Finland 0
  • Canada 4, Sweden 1
Canada Goals For: 46
Canada Goals Against: 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2006_Winter_Olympics#Women.27s_competition

Gold and Silver medalists for every Women's World Championship to date:
  • 1990:Canada, USA
  • 1992: Canada, USA
  • 1994: Canada, USA
  • 1997: Canada, USA
  • 1999: Canada, USA
  • 2000: Canada, USA
  • 2001: Canada, USA
  • 2004: Canada, USA
  • 2005: USA, Canada
  • 2007: Canada, USA
  • 2008: USA, Canada
  • 2009: USA, Canada
  • 2011: USA, Canada
  • 2012: Canada, USA
  • 2013: USA, Canada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_World_Women's_Championships

As for why the no hitting, partially that is because women's hockey has not had professional success, and a female player who is injured is simply not going to receive the medical care, insurance, or post-hockey career options a male player has, EVEN IN the USA and Canada, where women's hockey has at least some real traction. In other countries, forget about it.

Hell, the Finnish women's goalie is retiring, at 24, despite having excellent stats, because she knows if she keeps playing she is financially ruined for the rest of her life, and there is nowhere more advanced for her to go as a female player.

Here is an article from TSN on bodychecking in Women's hockey:
http://www.tsn.ca/cis/story/?id=290264

What's more, if they allowed hitting, the USA and Canada would likely dominate even more. Many countries just can't ice women big enough to keep up with that physicality.
Here are the largest palyers from USA, Canada, and Japan (The loveable underdog this Olympics), to illustrate:
USA
  • KNIGHT, 5'11" 172lbs
  • STECKLEIN, 6'0" 170lb
  • SCHLEPER, 5'10" 170lbs
  • FRY, 5'9" 170lbs
  • BOZEK, 5'8" 176lbs
(Team Average= 5'8, 155lbs)
Canada:
  • APPS, 5'11" 176lbs
  • SPOONER, 5'10" 176lbs
  • OUELLETTE, 5'11" 170lbs
  • WAKEFIELD, 5'9" 170lbs
  • WATCHORN, 5'10" 168lbs
(Team Average= 5'8", 156lbs)

Japan :
  • UKITA, 5'6"157lbs
  • YAMANE, 5'6" 154lbs
  • TAKEUCHI, 5'5" 139lbs
  • KUBA, 5'6" 139lbs
  • SHISHIUCHI 5'5" 137lbs
(Team Average= 5'4", 130lbs)
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athletes

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

To be fair, the other countries need to have a desire to compete in the sport for the parity gap to close. The Swedish team this year had to shame their Olympic committee into providing them with sticks.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Very accurate, and very painful.

As for the Ice Hockey stuff, I know a lot of people watch (male) Ice Hockey for the body checking and the brawls, much like car crashes and bike crashes in motor sports...But just like those, it shouldn't be about that. Frankly, if you want to bring the sports on more even footing, make body checking illegal for men, too. If they must fight, go to the wrestling team. Wasn't Ice Hockey supposedly "like normal hockey, but faster and with more finesse"? Because every match I've ever seen has been "like regular hockey, but with more body armor and more slamming into one another and the walls".

Mind that I don't insist on changing your sport, I don't care one whit, having watched 2 IH matches in my life (plus a bunch of bits in general sports overviews - and about 2 dozen regular hockey matches, for comparison)

Eriol

Eriol

Watch the Women's Gold game live at cbc.ca. Not sure where you USA people have to go. The quality is actually really good. A bit more than halfway through the 1st period right now.

GO CANADA!!!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Live on your local NBC station.

strawman

strawman

Wow, they actually are showing it live on broadcast TV. So little of the Olympics makes it to broadcast TV that I've simply started assuming that if I want to watch it, it won't be shown.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Watch the Women's Gold game live at cbc.ca. Not sure where you USA people have to go. The quality is actually really good. A bit more than halfway through the 1st period right now.

GO CANADA!!!
Ohhhh Canada YOU SUCK!

USA! USA! USA![DOUBLEPOST=1392921617,1392921561][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wow, they actually are showing it live on broadcast TV. So little of the Olympics makes it to broadcast TV that I've simply started assuming that if I want to watch it, it won't be shown.
You know you can watch everything live streamed via nbcolympics.com correct?

Covar

Covar

You know you can watch everything live streamed via nbcolympics.com correct?
If you pay for cable/satellite.

Eriol

Eriol

Tied it up with 56 seconds left! BOOYAA!!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Looks like Canada is making this a game!
Although I admit I'm flipping between this and the women's figure skating finals.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Anything pro-Canadian hockey gets an automatic Disagree :)

strawman

strawman

If you pay for cable/satellite.
Yep. I don't have cable or satellite, so I get only what they put on their broadcast network, which is very little.

But I'm at work and can't watch now anyway so I'm just refreshing espn's homepage, holding the 2-2 changes to a 3-2 in overtime.

grub

grub

For canada

Bubble181

Bubble181

Try http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/Sotsji/Sotsji_Live . Don't knwo if it'll broadcast outside of Belgium, but it's a free stream of our national sports station live. Just ignore the Dutch commentary :p

Eriol

Eriol

3 on 3 hockey now? very odd confluence of penalties..

Shakey

Shakey

It's getting angry out there.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

FUCK!

grub

grub

GO CANADA!!!

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

USA threw that game away in the third period by playing too defensively

Eriol

Eriol

CANADA WINS GOLD!!!!

Women's Hockey, Canada wins in overtime over the USA. Thank you to Poulin!

WOOOOOOOTTT!!!!!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Its ok canada. You can have this. We'll take tomorrow.

strawman

strawman

Looks like it was an incredible game, given espn's commentary.

Eriol

Eriol

One case of beer down, one to go... Harper vs Obama

;)

strawman

strawman

Ze grapes...zey are zo, zo zour.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Obama should send him some Budweiser, that should be a good way to get even.

Celt Z

Celt Z

USA threw that game away in the third period by playing too defensively
See what happens when you throw "Disagrees" around all willy-nilly? Bad karma! :p

Sorry to see the US lose after a big lead. That was pretty tight at the end. Ah, well, at least there's silver.

Eriol

Eriol

Obama should send him some Budweiser, that should be a good way to get even.
I think they don't allow toxic substances that close to the Prime Minister.

Celt Z

Celt Z

@CrimsonSoul -Every time you disagree, the US gets a silver medal. :D

strawman

strawman

Well it was the US's game to lose. They had a 2-0 lead with only three minutes left and they just bombed? Methinks someone let their lead get a little to their head.

Jay

Jay

Its ok canada. You can have this. We'll take tomorrow.
It'll serve them right for not playing PK Norris.

Dei

Dei

This graph may be the greatest thing of all time. I envision curlers smacking each other around with the stones.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/435888441541537792/photo/1

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Wow, the sport played with guns is the safest of the winter games...

Frank

Frank

At least the game was close enough that there probably won't be any talk of removing it as an Olympic sport this year because of single country dominance.

Silver in hockey is such a bummer spot. At least you win the bronze.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

As much as I enjoyed the outcome of the Womens gold medal game, but fuck that referee.

Now as to Womens Curling!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Eriol

Eriol

Ya! You could have it someplace super-stable and uncontroversial like Sarajevo!

Oh wait...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Or 1936 Germany! Just goes to show you the IOC has always been butt-tonguingly stupid/corrupt.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The olympics should always be in the US. We're the only country that can handle it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The olympics should always be in the US. We're the only country that can handle it.
Nah, going that far is silly.

NATO countries. That's probably the safest bet.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Ya! You could have it someplace super-stable and uncontroversial like Sarajevo!

Oh wait...
It was one of the best ones in my memory. It is just the nation went to hell a few years later.[DOUBLEPOST=1392936972,1392936937][/DOUBLEPOST]
Nah, going that far is silly.

NATO countries. That's probably the safest bet.
Or America, no bombings here, oh wait...

jwhouk

jwhouk

#### it, ladies.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Or America, no bombings here, oh wait...
I think the true litmus test should be, nations with plumbing that can handle toilet tissue.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

One case of beer down, one to go... Harper vs Obama

;)
No, THIS should be the ultimate betting chip for the men's U.S. Vs. Canada game:
Loser-Keeps-Bieber.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

Thank GOD that wasn't the stakes for this morning's game.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

All my fault folks... I woke up & started watching with about 5 minutes left. My bad.

Also should be noted - I knew when that open netter hit the post that the US was doomed. Just seemed like a sign.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It is never a good thing when the Golden Goal is scored on a two-player advantage power-play.

I'm cringing over the thought of watching the tail end of that game on DVR.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Go @Adam clone! Crush the Brits for our second gold medal today!

jwhouk

jwhouk

8-2 after six ends.

Who're they playing, the US Women? ;)

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

8-2 after six ends.

Who're they playing, the US Women? ;)
Zing!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Even I realize that if they don't win this end (8-3 in the 8th) that they should just shake and go drown their sorrows at the pub over in downtown Sochi.[DOUBLEPOST=1392997076,1392996776][/DOUBLEPOST]And, as predicted, handshake time. Double Gold in curling.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Sweden in the gold medal match vs winner Canada/USA, Finland plays for Bronze.

Dei

Dei

I'm waiting in line at the DMV, update me on hockey when needed!

Dave

Dave

Sweden in the gold medal match vs winner Canada/USA, Finland plays for Bronze.
Huh. I thought US/Canada WAS the gold medal match.

Shakey

Shakey

Our advertising TV in the lobby has been recommissioned to show the game. There's even talk of bringing in beer...

And pizza has been ordered. I don't think much work is going to get done today.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Huh. I thought US/Canada WAS the gold medal match.
That's was for the Women's medal game, this is the Men's division.

Dave

Dave

That's was for the Women's medal game, this is the Men's division.
I know, but the hype has been enormous for this. So I thought it was the final.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I know, but the hype has been enormous for this. So I thought it was the final.
Hype has been huge because this should have been the gold medal matchup. Olympic organizers purposely put USA and Canada in the same bracket to hopefully eliminate one of them, instead it has all the excitement for the semifinal.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Hype has been huge because this should have been the gold medal matchup. Olympic organizers purposely put USA and Canada in the same bracket to hopefully eliminate one of them, instead it has all the excitement for the semifinal.
Yeah the gold medal match won't have near this much hope add the clear winner will be USA or Canada unless there is an underdog story in the making

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah the gold medal match won't have near this much hope add the clear winner will be USA or Canada unless there is an underdog story in the making
underdog story nothing. Sweden was the projected favourite by many heading in to thw tournament.

Dave

Dave

God DAMN IT! WE DON'T WANT BIEBER!!!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

you broke it you bought it.

Dave

Dave

Man, the Canadians just look better offensively than the US.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Canada just looks much more cohesive and aware of one another's relative positioning.

grub

grub

And that's the game, Go Canada! Congrats on the Bronze USA!

Dave

Dave

Canada wins.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Welp, looks like we'll have to deal with our Bieber problem ourselves.

Jay

Jay

OJXMsIa.gif

GasBandit

GasBandit

About the women's game before...

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

carey on.jpg

Started the day with gold and silver, then gold again then bronze and now a chance at gold on Sunday!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

No, THIS should be the ultimate betting chip for the men's U.S. Vs. Canada game:
View attachment 13976

bieleber.jpg

Jay

Jay

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

okay now you guys are just getting mean. honestly if I had been asked to bet on the game today I would have lost the bet. I thought this was the USA's year.
In fact heading in to the games, I thought it'd be the USA, Russia and either Sweden or Finland on the podium. I didn't think our goalies would stack up against Quick and their European counterparts. But Price has been fantastic and even if he weren't, he's playing behind such great defence, I am glad to have been so wrong.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

So looks like you're gonna get the double golds in the two sports that matter up there in Canuckistan.

Although I will caution against something about eggs & hatching or something like that. Sweden isn't gonna be a pushover.

For the longest time people never remembered that the "Miracle on Ice" win over the USSR in '80 was NOT a medal game. The US still had to beat Finland to win the gold medal - & there was even a scenario where the US could lose to Finland & not get ANY medal.

Point being - don't lose focus.

Anyways - not sure which was worse... the way the women lost a 2 goal lead with 4 minutes to play, or the men getting flat shut out. I think I'm gonna go with the women's loss, but it's close.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Quick was phenomenal in goal for team USA. It's just that when teams are this evenly matched, one little puck bounce decides the game.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Welp - I was referring to the Canadians, but it's even more appropriate now as the US is staring down the business end of a 2 goal deficit to the Finns.

Bronze medal indeed...:censored:

And now Kane misses his 2nd Penalty Shot of the game.... ugh

TommiR

TommiR

Welp - I was referring to the Canadians, but it's even more appropriate now as the US is staring down the business end of a 2 goal deficit to the Finns.
Never a good idea to count your chickens before they come home to roost but... things are looking pretty good.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So,
Bars in Toronto will be open and allowed to serve alcohol at 7am tomorrow for the Gold Medal game. City council voted 37-4 in favour of the early start. This isn't Ontario wide, because my province has a stick up its butt. Ottawa apparently won't have bars open early. Normally, in Ontario, bars cannot serve alcohol until 11am.

In Manitoba, bars will be allowed to open and serve alcohol at 5am tomorrow.

Alberta bars will also have a 5am start.

BC bars are allowed to stay open, but apparently they won't be allowed to serve alcohol during the game? What the hell, BC?

I haven't seen anything on Quebec and the Atlantic Canada provinces. I assume all your bars are open all the time anyway because you guys are the cool kids.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

C'mon USA light em up! U S A! U S A! U S A![DOUBLEPOST=1393087822,1393087545][/DOUBLEPOST]
So,
Bars in Toronto be open and allowed to serve alcohol at 7am tomorrow for the Gold Medal game. City council voted 37-4 in favour of the early start. This isn't Ontario wide, because my province has a stick up its butt. Ottawa apparently won't have bars open early. Normally, in Ontario, bars cannot serve alcohol until 11am.

In Manitoba, bars will be allowed to open and serve alcohol at 5am tomorrow.

Alberta bars will also have a 5am start.

BC bars are allowed to stay open, but apparently they won't be allowed to serve alcohol during the game? What the hell, BC?

I haven't seen anything on Quebec and the Atlantic Canada provinces. I assume all your bars are open all the time anyway because you guys are the cool kids.
Our bars close at 5 AM to allow for restocking. But that has been dimissed for Sundays game. Otherwise the entire city would be drinking at the Casino and watching the game there.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Well, unless a miracle happens, it's over. No medal for USA in hockey.

Mathias

Mathias

I blame North Ranger, he's fucking with this game ala "The Sixth Man".

Seriously though, good for Finland. Two upset games to take the bronze.

I hate Lundqvist with a passion, so I will be drinking Labatt and cheering on our brothers to the north for the gold tomorrow.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Whoa whoa whoa.
Chaz?!

TommiR

TommiR

Dum-de-dum-dee.[DOUBLEPOST=1393088456,1393088412][/DOUBLEPOST]4-0. We're on a roll here.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Anyway, I am happy for Komarov. Now that he got his medal, can he please come back to the Leafs?

Mathias

Mathias

Dum-de-dum-dee.[DOUBLEPOST=1393088456,1393088412][/DOUBLEPOST]4-0. We're on a roll here.

5-0 now. Make it stop. They're already dead...[DOUBLEPOST=1393089216][/DOUBLEPOST]
5-0 now. Make it stop. They're already dead...

TommiR

TommiR

5-0 now. Make it stop. They're already dead...
Aww, cheer up. Maybe one day we'll teach you guys how to play some hockey.

Timmus

Timmus

jwhouk

jwhouk

*Sigh*

I'm kinda glad David Poile wasn't present in Sochi to see this - with his one eye.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Timmus

Timmus

That hockey medal would put Canada third overall for gold medals though which is pretty neat.

Frank

Frank

Truth, though I think it's silly that one dude can win like 3 medals in slightly different distances of speed skating and those medals are worth the same as a hockey tournament.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Two things;

1. FUCK YOU HEALY!

2. LET'S DO THIS!

Jay

Jay

CANADAAAAAAAAAAA

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

BROFISTS FOR ALL![DOUBLEPOST=1393180149,1393179915][/DOUBLEPOST]I am so exhausted but that was worth getting up at 6am to bus to the bar for.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

If you couldn't make it to a bar in Halifax this morning, you could have always gone to church!

CHURCH HOCKEY.jpg

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

If you couldn't make it to a bar in Halifax this morning, you could have always gone to church!

View attachment 13999
And in Maple, ON, you could catch the game at the local mosque (They showed this on the CBC coverage, in case you missed it)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

View attachment 13999
BODY CHECK THAT MUTHER F...!!!!!

Eh, sorry Father.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Welp, Closing Ceremony. So, what's next? South Korea?

jwhouk

jwhouk

And, our final standings in the medal count:

Code:
----------------------------------------------
Rk  Nation		  G   S   B  TM  PTS  %All
==============================================
1   Russian Fed.   13  11   9  33  232 11.19%
2   United States   9   7  12  28  180  9.49%
3   Norway		 11   5  10  26  180  8.81%
4   Canada		 10  10   5  25  180  8.47%
5   Netherlands	 8   7   9  24  158  8.14%
6   Germany		 8   6   5  19  136  6.44%
7   Austria		 4   8   5  17  108  5.76%
8   France		  4   4   7  15   92  5.08%
9   Sweden		  2   7   6  15   86  5.08%
10  Switzerland	 6   3   2  11   86  3.73%
11  China		   3   4   2   9   62  3.05%
12  Korea		   3   3   2   8   56  2.71%
13  Belarus		 5   0   1   6   54  2.03%
14  Czech Republic  2   4   2   8   52  2.71%
15  Poland		  4   1   1   6   50  2.03%
16  Slovenia		2   2   4   8   48  2.71%
17  Japan		   1   4   3   8   46  2.71%
18  Italy		   0   2   6   8   36  2.71%
19  Finland		 1   3   1   5   32  1.69%
20  Great Britain   1   1   2   4   24  1.36%
21  Latvia		  0   2   2   4   20  1.36%
22  Australia	   0   2   1   3   16  1.02%
23  Ukraine		 1   0   1   2   14  0.68%
24  Slovakia		1   0   0   1   10  0.34%
25  Croatia		 0   1   0   1	6  0.34%
26  Kazakhstan	  0   0   1   1	4  0.34%
==============================================
TM = Total medals (Gold, silver, bronze)
PTS = Point System (10 for gold, 6 for silver, 4 for bronze)
% All = Percentage of all medals awarded (295 total medals awarded)

EDIT: Can someone PLEASE tell me how to format this #### properly?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

How are you getting the point total? If PTS = Point System (3 for gold, 2 for silver, 1 for bronze), then aren't those totals way off?

Russia:
(13*3)+(11*2)+(9*1)
39+22+9=70

USA:
(9*3)+(7*2)+(12*1)
27+14+12=53
Norway:
(11*3)+(5*2)+(26*1)
33+10+26=69
Canada:
(10*3)+(10*2)+(5*1)
30+20+5=55
Rk Nation G S B TM PTS %All
----------------------------------------------
1 Russian Fed. 13 11 9 33 232 11.19%
2 United States 9 7 12 28 180 9.49%
3 Norway 11 5 10 26 180 8.81%
4 Canada 10 10 5 25 180 8.47%

Etc

jwhouk

jwhouk

Oops. 10/6/4. My bad.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's funny how the "official" numbers on Belgian and Dutch (and most European I've seen) TV show a different ranking than that one, which ca nbe found all over US news sources.
I'm not saying one or the other is better - the way to balance and value different medals against one another is arbitrary - but it's just funny.
And yes, "our" numbers put the USA on spot #4 for less golds.

Either way, good job to all of you except those filthy Dutchies who couldn't even let us have one little medal :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

This purports to be a traffic-cam shot of the busiest highway section in North America, Ontario 401 in Toronto, during the men's hockey final yesterday.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Not a dog sled or snowmobile in sight.

Frank

Frank

By the end of that game, I had been drunk for 12 straight hours. The rest of my Sunday was a God damn mess.

Jay

Jay

Sunday morning at 8 AM? I think so.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, while I don't doubt the veracity of the photo, it's misleading. Despite the fact that the 401 is crazy busy, at that time of day, on any given Sunday, it wouldn't be difficult to take a photo- one split second in time- of an empty stretch of it.