Spider Identification

Warning - pictures of spiders in this thread

so the last few days we have had a large spider just outside our kitchen window. It seems to have set itself up in a nice spot, taking advantage of the light we leave on until ~10 pm to lure moths and other tasty bugs into its web.

I’ve been watching it a bit in hopes of seeing the top to try to figure out what type of spider it is, but it never seems to turn my way.

Looking through some pages and pics Ican find, the underside kind of looks like it may be a Marbled Orb Weaver, but I am not certain.

If we have anyone that would like to take a crack at it, here is the best pic I have gotten.

IMG_1067.jpeg

Well, I deleted the others I took because they were too far away to see detail or out of focus. I can take a few more, but it hasn’t really moved.

Edit: can’t get my camera to focus on it now, I will try again later

I have not named it. I wasn’t sure of gender or anything. I will go with your confidence that it is female and give her the name Charlotte.

I have very fond memories of my mother reading me that book when I was very young. I cried at the end.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, we have a whole thread about an orb weaver spider, and I'm the first one to post this?
Playing Grounded has soured any Orb Weaver related humor for me. Their pedipalps are a lot less entertaining when they're the size of housecats.

1695350770851.png

And I don't want to even think about the pudendum.

After long deliberation and checking with the experts, I have been able to conclude that the animal shown in the original post is, in fact, a spider. Well spotted.