Export thread

Swine Flue Vaccine Pro/Con List

Calleja

Calleja

Jon Stewart's Vaccine Pro/Con List:

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

This was after Glenn Beck said there were "very good reasons both for and against getting the vaccine"

Kitty Sinatra

I knew Science was out to get me! Now Jon Stewart, the most trusted journalist in America, has confirmed it. Oh smurf, what's that behi-

Rob King

Rob King

I knew Science was out to get me! Now Jon Stewart, the most trusted journalist in America, has confirmed it. Oh smurf, what's that behi-
Oh shit! Could it be? Is science the new candlej

Calleja

Calleja

He's not a journalist, he's tired of saying so himself.

I do like how he doesn't hold his punches for ANYONE, though. He spent a whole show tearing the news channels apart for not covering the Gay Rights protest.... and then cut to the Daily Show's own coverage of the protest, making fun of the gay protesters themselves.. to their face.

Kitty Sinatra

He's not a journalist, he's tired of saying so himself.
I fear you missed my joke.

(and I actually think this one was funny so yeah, I'm blaming you for not getting it)

Calleja

Calleja

I was just... uh.. making it clear for the other people who wouldn't get it.. you know for their uh.. own sake.

Yeah.

Also... "Jon is Jewish" tag? THAT joke I'm not totally getting...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My friend really, truly believes that the H1N1 vaccine is a CIA plot. When I asked her why, she refused to explain, instead telling me to go get it myself and find out. So great... ether she's being a bitch for no fucking reason or she's actively wishing me harm. *facepalm*

Kitty Sinatra

Well, see. We've established one thing he's not so I figured I'd point out one thing he is.

It's really more like a fact than a joke. And like most everything else about what I do here (see just under my name)

Denbrought

Denbrought

Aah I laughed when I saw that, it was a great episode :D

Wasabi Poptart

Jon Stewart is out to get us!

Adam

Adammon

Ima gonna wait before I jump on the H1N1 vaccination bandwagon regardless.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ima gonna wait before I jump on the H1N1 vaccination bandwagon regardless.
That's fine. I'm probably going to wait for a bit myself, assuming I can scrounge money for it. Going to wait to see if people have bad reactions to the first round of injections.

Calleja

Calleja

The swine flue vaccine is a slight variation of the NORMAL flu vaccine, which has been used without ill effects for years and years.... why is it that this particular batch is spawning so much paranoia on people?

I'm genuinely curious here.

Docseverin

Docseverin

Mandatory for me to get it, got mine the other day and I am fine.

Adam

Adammon

The swine flue vaccine is a slight variation of the NORMAL flu vaccine, which has been used without ill effects for years and years.... why is it that this particular batch is spawning so much paranoia on people?

I wouldn't get the regular vaccine so I find it a little irregular that this one is being pushed so hard. Some medical company is getting rich off of a media feeding frenzy about the flu - doesn't sit well.

rabbitgod

I'm probably not going to get it. I'm sick right now though with (what I assume is just the regular flu).

I keep myself healthy and haven't been sick in a few years so I'm not terribly worried.

Wasabi Poptart

From what my friend at the CDC has told me, regular seasonal flu isn't widespread right now. If you have the flu, then it's safe to assume you have H1N1.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Isn't it so that some people in America think vaccination is from the Debil?

Adam

Adammon

Isn't it so that some people in America think vaccination is from the Debil?
That's a lot of the stupid Jenny McCarthy Thimerosal causes Autism crap mostly.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Part of it is because so many people died from complications involved with taking the old H1N1 vaccine in the 70's. This is true for all vaccines however and the deaths from the old H1N1 amounted to something like less than half a percent of all takers. (I think it was around 4000 or something? Out of millions of takers.)

Another part of it is because celebrities in the US are fucking morons and are currently on an anti-vaccine kick, because some older, cheaper made vaccines would occasionally contain things like mercury, which is poisonous. This generally doesn't happen anymore, and while it's a tragedy when it does happen, it's also an anomaly. It's also been (loosely) linked to Autism in children, but this has generally been refuted.

The 3rd part is the people who believe they will be protected if everyone else gets the shot, so they don't have to. What these people don't understand is that a vaccine doesn't stop someone from passing on the virus during the initial infection phase. It's still possible to get sick even if everyone around you has the vaccine.

The rest is just good old fashioned paranoia. It's hard for some people to trust companies that profit from vaccines when it's very simple for those same companies to CREATE the very plague they are curing. Combine this with disinformation from the tin-foil hat brigade, a general distrust of a government that seems to actively provoke it's citizenry, and a very recent upsurge in anti-intellectualism and what you get is a population that would sooner take it's chances with a life threatening illness that take a simple shot.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Unfortunately, that rare side effect that killed those people in the 70's was Guillain-Barre. And that's the main reason for me why I won't be getting one, since I already know I susceptible to it. Going through that shit one time in my life was enough for me, thanks.

Edit: And even with the normal flu shot today, getting Guillain-Barre is still possible.

Calleja

Calleja

From the very article you linked, dude:

Hutton said doctors have not proven a link between the vaccine the nurse received on August 31st and her illness, noting that she had traveled to India before getting the seasonal flu shot.
"At this point there is nothing in the medical record to indicate that the Syndrome was caused by her seasonal flu vaccine," said Hutton.
In the past, Guillain-Barre Syndrome has been associated with a particular swine flu vaccine given in 1976 but "since then, flu vaccines have not been clearly linked to GBS," according to information about this year's vaccine on the Department of Health's website.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Medicine in 1976 is not the same as it is in 2009... and that's ONE case that has not been proven was caused by the vaccine, one, out of how many that got that vaccine?

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

Plus.. y'know... foreign countries have their own immunities and traveling abroad will always carry an inherent risk, this nurse had been to India.

Shakey

Shakey

My friend really, truly believes that the H1N1 vaccine is a CIA plot. When I asked her why, she refused to explain, instead telling me to go get it myself and find out. So great... ether she's being a bitch for no fucking reason or she's actively wishing me harm. *facepalm*
That's the reason I tell people at work as to why I didn't get the flu shot. I wonder how many people actually think I'm being serious when I say that.

rabbitgod

From what my friend at the CDC has told me, regular seasonal flu isn't widespread right now. If you have the flu, then it's safe to assume you have H1N1.
My sister worked at the CDC, but now works at a city public health department and she told me that too.

I talked to her today and she doesn't think I have the flu. So in the end I guess that doesn't alter my post.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll start with two words: Fox Noise.

Alucard

All I'm thinking is why did you use Faux News as a source? You know all mainstream is biased one way or another

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Vaccine schmackcine. I don't need a regular flu shot, so I won't be needing this one either. Hell, most people that have had the flu that I personally know weren't even slowed down much. It's just a flu.

Baerdog

Baerdog

Your avatar makes that post so much better. :thumb:

@Li3n

@Li3n

As someone who can't get immunized, I rely on herd immunity. And remember, even if you don't get sick, you can still infect others.
How is that a pro argument?! Time to go Typhoid Mary on some people...

Just get the more vulnerable population to get it, and then if it's still an issue get everyone else...

Teh way i hear it normal flu kills just as many people anyhow, if not more...

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

All I'm thinking is why did you use Faux News as a source? You know all mainstream is biased one way or another
But they're the Golden Standard...

Covar

Covar

1) It's just the flu
2) I don't like needles
3) It's just the flu

Remember when the swine flu scare started earlier this year? Remember how much of a non-issue it actually was? Yea.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Remember when the swine flu scare started earlier this year? Remember how much of a non-issue it actually was? Yea.
So you've been reading zero news since then. Well done.

Calleja

Calleja

It may be "just a flu", but it's killing people, and even if you're not worrying it's gonna kill you, you can still be a carrier. It's called social responsibility.

It does kill people that you'd least expect. It just killed my cousin's girlfriend of 4 years. She was 23, healthy and awesome. And then BAM!

Please don't spread it just cause it's "just a flu".

Wasabi Poptart

A 5-year-old girl just died here last week of H1N1. She had no underlying health issues. She had no flu symptoms. According to her family, she suddenly developed a bad headache and the next morning had purplish swelling around her eyes. They took her to the ER of the children's hospital here. Her heart stopped while she was being examined. They tried to resuscitate her, but her heart was too weak to keep going. That's what's happening with H1N1. More kids have died from it already than the regular flu kills in a year's time.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 PM ----------

And as long as you don't have certain health issues, you can get the FluMist nasal spray vaccination just like the seasonal flu vaccine. No needle required.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

It may be "just a flu", but it's killing people, and even if you're not worrying it's gonna kill you, you can still be a carrier. It's called social responsibility.

Please don't spread it just cause it's "just a flu".
Did you get all the flu shots every year since you were born out of social responsibility? I sure didn't and I don't plan on starting now.

Going from WildSoul's post it seems the flu is something quite different over there, only 4 people died here so far, all of them already severely weakend by other conditions. It's being estimated at a 0,11% mortality rate, which put it right smack in the middle of the ordinary flu statistics over recorded medical history.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Yes, one can always find statistics somewhere to justify intentional ignorance and denial.

I posted my links about H1N1; I recommend you read them.

Morgoth

1) It's just the flu
2) I don't like needles
3) It's just the flu

That mentality right there is what keeps me in business. So thank you to all those who think they're too tough for viruses. That'll be 100 bucks for 10 minutes of my time.

It's already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate. If you have the chance to get H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccination DO IT!

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Yes, one can always find statistics somewhere to justify intentional ignorance and denial.

I posted my links about H1N1; I recommend you read them.
I did read them.

Also the statistics I mentioned came from our very own hospitals and used by our own government, which has also stated that this outbreak is 'nothing more then the normal flu and shall be treated as such'.

Risk groups are getting shots here as always, everyone else simply doesn't like every year.

Deschain

I wouldn't mind the government mind-controlling me. It would give my brain a rest from thinking.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I honestly just stumbled across this, wasn't searching or anything:

http://factcheck.org/2009/10/inoculation-misinformation/

I did read them.
Including the one about how this strain affects completely healthy young people like the regular flu doesn't? Cool, I'm glad you read that.

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Including the one about how this strain affects completely healthy young people like the regular flu doesn't? Cool, I'm glad you read that.
And yet, not one healthy young adult has actually had a problem here.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

:frusty:

This circular reasoning is making me queasy. Hopping off the merry-go-round now.

Cajungal

Cajungal

My university only offers the regular flu shot. Looks like Baton Rouge will offer the swine flu vaccine and some kind of nasal spray in December. I've never gotten a flu shot before, but considering the age group that this one targets, I might as well. An article about it said that, depending on where you got it, it might be free.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

In NYC, I don't fall into the group of people who should, so I'm waiting until they add me in an update.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/flu/html/public/vaccine.shtml

Even though I go to grad school, I also don't live in campus housing, or anywhere near it, for that matter, so it's considered (at the moment) to be unnecessary.

Mind you, if that changes, I'm getting one immediately, but so far....

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

On the one hand, it seems way over-hyped. On the other hand, there seems to be a lot more sick people around. I don't mean on the news. I mean in my lab, classes, my parents' work, my gf's work, etc. Since it isn't flu season, yet, it's a bit disconcerting.

Now, I'm gonna go wash my hands. Speaking of which, It would be nice if people tried common-sense approaches like: washing your hands regularly, don't touch your face (EVAR!), stay home if you're sick, cover your damned face when you are hacking and sneezing b/c you didn't stay home (JACKASS), gargle with salt water, use a nettie pot.

If people did that, there would be a lot less problems.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I've all but completely stopped touching my face. It was hard, because I always touch my face when I'm thinking and bite my nails. The only thing I really worry about is working with kids. One of the boys in my 1st grade class had swine flu back in September. I use my hand sanitizer every damn time I hug one of those little buggers or even touch a pencil or folder of theirs. I do NOT want to get sick.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Yeah, kids are walking germ reservoirs. Not touching your face will help big time. Gargling with warm salt water and using a Nettie pot will help flush the bugs, and preventing them from setting up shop.

Also, don't hug the kids. It'll just make them soft. They need to be tough to face the coming Zombie Apocalypse.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:tear: But... but.... hugs. It's good for their tiny little hearts.

And I can't use those pots... or rather, I have a mental block about them. Seems like it would hurt or something. But yeah, the saltwater thing, I've heard of. I also hear drinking something warm at night helps.

Armadillo

My whole family (me, wife, 16-month-old daughter) got our seasonal shots, and we'll all be getting H1N1 vaccine as soon as it becomes more available. All the anti-vaccine hysteria makes me facepalm with the force of a thousand gods.

Gusto

Gusto

I will be vaccinated as well.

Calleja

Calleja

And yet, not one healthy young adult has actually had a problem here.
Uhh.. did you not read about Greg Dean's twenty-something friend who just suddenly up and DIED of H1N1?

It was all over the forum. But keep on truckin' with your denial, I seriously hope you don't get burned by your ignorance in a bad way.

Wasabi Poptart

:tear: But... but.... hugs. It's good for their tiny little hearts.

And I can't use those pots... or rather, I have a mental block about them. Seems like it would hurt or something. But yeah, the saltwater thing, I've heard of. I also hear drinking something warm at night helps.
I haven't used the Neti Pot in particular, but I have used a saline wash that is given to people after surgery. It's like a big squeeze bottle instead of a little clay pot. I think it feels great when my sinuses are acting up. It is kind of gross though.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

My college is giving out free shots I think, if I have time I will get one but honestly with work and stuff I probably won't have time.

I know, I know you guys keep saying it's so horrible and killing all these people but I haven't seen it. I guess I really don't watch national news too much and most of the stuff I read online is on reddit or digg so I may have missed all these deaths. There haven't been any around here so I guess it still seems trivial and like the normal flu to me. My friends older brother had it and he was fine, didn't even spread it to anyone else in the family because they all washed their hands and shit.

I am actually sick right now, a cold or flu just went through my whole house. All but one of us has been sick so far. Not really sure how I caught it when I am barely ever at home and when I was I was down in my room and not around the family but I did. Been coughing and sneezing, had a fever and headache for a day or two. But I am feeling a lot better now, have a little bit of the sniffles but no headaches or fever anymore.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Hobo, i recall reading somewhere how you're more likely to get it from someone sneezing on door handles or on their hand and then touching the door handle then you using it etc. then from being around them...

A 5-year-old girl just died here last week of H1N1. She had no underlying health issues. She had no flu symptoms. According to her family, she suddenly developed a bad headache and the next morning had purplish swelling around her eyes. They took her to the ER of the children's hospital here. Her heart stopped while she was being examined. They tried to resuscitate her, but her heart was too weak to keep going. That's what's happening with H1N1. More kids have died from it already than the regular flu kills in a year's time.
Kids and old people are part of the at risk population... they should get vaccinated for the regular types of flu anyhow.

BTW, does anyone have some actual statistics on how many people die from the regular types of flu each year? Though because vaccination already existed they really shouldn't be higher... jenny mccarthy notwithstanding.

Hmm, CNN article from a few months back: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/index.html

Chazwozel

And yet, not one healthy young adult has actually had a problem here.[/QUOTE]

It's a 20 dollar shot. You barely feel it. It takes 2 seconds. And you become one less person that's going to spread it around and get other people sick.

You guys think I'm the jackass? At least I don't walk around willfully ignorant and proud of it. The only reason you shouldn't get a flu shot is if you're allergic to eggs.

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

1) It's just the flu
2) I don't like needles
3) It's just the flu

That mentality right there is what keeps me in business. So thank you to all those who think they're too tough for viruses. That'll be 100 bucks for 10 minutes of my time.

It's already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate. If you have the chance to get H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccination DO IT![/QUOTE]

Oh you know the only reason you got yours was because you'd be fired otherwise. ;-)

@Li3n

@Li3n

Oh, it seems the reason why this thing started is because the 1918 flu was also a H1N1 strain... which also started off as any other flu before going crazy...

Odie

Chaz is correct. I was wrong please forgive my ignorance as i was mixed up with cell culture vs egg cultures

@Li3n

@Li3n

chaz, thought you were scientist or something?
This is the internet... he's either an FBI agent or a 12 year old... don;t you know anything?

Laurelai

The only reason you shouldn't get a flu shot is if you're allergic to eggs.

ya... um vaccines today are very rarely ever made in eggs due to that allergy, so i wouldnt be so worried about that.

chaz, thought you were scientist or something?[/QUOTE]

"Pharmaceutical researchers around the globe are trying to find newer and speedier ways to make flu vaccines, but in the U.S., the only FDA-approved method is the original, 1940s way: injecting the virus into chicken eggs to be grown into larger quantities."

Flu vaccines are still made in eggs.

Morgoth

The only reason you shouldn't get a flu shot is if you're allergic to eggs.

ya... um vaccines today are very rarely ever made in eggs due to that allergy, so i wouldnt be so worried about that.

chaz, thought you were scientist or something?[/quote]

Um, influenza virus is attenuated in chicken eggs. That's how they make the majority vaccine that's distributed. Chaz is a scientist, and I'm an M.D. In fact, that's the first question I have to ask (or my nurses do) before administering the shot.

Calleja

Calleja

Odie got pwned like three different times.

That's what you get for blabbering without some research dude. Now go stand near the edge of the table so the cat can kick you off it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If I was in my last career I'd get the H1N1 shot. Since I am not in the target group for H1N1, and the vaccine is still rare; I'll stand aside and let some school aged through college kid get theirs. I'll likely get the seasonal shot like I normally do.

Odie

Sorry my bad, cell cultures / egg cultures are mixing up in my head. Please ignore my previous ignorance to the subject .

Also Cala hoo hoo - Beatles suck =p

Chippy

Chippy

Since a large amount of people in this city have Swine Flu, and I go home a lot, I plan on getting one here pretty soon.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I need to get one... and the school brings a nurse once a year to get shots after school, but I missed out on it this year....

I have the immunity of a rock (thanks mom for making me grow up on a farm!), but it never hurts!

Wait, I mean.... WUT IF I GET AUTIZIMS?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I suspect that NYC's reluctance to distribute vaccines to people outside the high-risk group is mostly due to not having enough vaccine at any given point in time to vaccinate millions and millions of people.

I'm relatively sure that once they a achieve a certain percentage of the high-risk groups being vaccinated, they'll recommend everyone else get it.

Dave

Dave

Sorry, Seraphyn, but if Morgoth is a doctor I'm listening to him instead of you. Science vs. Personal Stories. Facts vs. Opinions.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I think we're all missing out on the big takeaway from this thread:

As someone who can't get immunized, I rely on herd immunity.
ZENMONKEY CANNOT BE KILLED IN A STAMPEDE! THAT IS AN AWESOME SUPERPOWER, AND WE SHOULD RESPECT IT!:hail:

Wasabi Poptart

Hobo, i recall reading somewhere how you're more likely to get it from someone sneezing on door handles or on their hand and then touching the door handle then you using it etc. then from being around them...

Kids and old people are part of the at risk population... they should get vaccinated for the regular types of flu anyhow.

BTW, does anyone have some actual statistics on how many people die from the regular types of flu each year? Though because vaccination already existed they really shouldn't be higher... jenny mccarthy notwithstanding.

Hmm, CNN article from a few months back: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/index.html

From a more recent article about Swine Flu:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1771874/vaccines_delayed_as_h1n1_death_toll_climbs/

Schuchat also noted that 86 US children have died since the swine flu outbreak began in April of this year, nearly as many as in the last three flu seasons combined.
Also...
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_88671.html

The run-of-the-mill regular seasonal flu typically infects up to 20 percent of Americans and causes about 36,000 deaths.
Older people are thought to have some limited immunity to H1N1 because they may have been exposed to similar strains of swine flu in the past. I don't have the time to get you an article that mentions that since my baby just woke up from her nap.

Morgoth

Sorry, Seraphyn, but if Morgoth is a doctor I'm listening to him instead of you. Science vs. Personal Stories. Facts vs. Opinions.

Sniffs and sniffles are my main bread and butter. Your best bet to combat the spread of H1N1 and all other types of flu is to get vaccinated, stay home if you're sick etc...

If there's anyone I want to see issued a recall in this world it's Oprah and her ushering in this new era mindset of vaccine = bad.

Dave

Dave

Sniffs and sniffles are my main bread and butter. Your best bet to combat the spread of H1N1 and all other types of flu is to get vaccinated, stay home if you're sick etc...

If there's anyone I want to see issued a recall in this world it's Oprah and her ushering in this new era mindset of vaccine = bad.[/QUOTE]

Oprah needs to have a kid and have a scare that turns out to be nothing but is easily preventable with a common vaccine. Her pseudo-science bullshit is dangerous.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Look on the bright side. There will be fewer Oprah followers in the future, because their parents would not get them vaccinated.

Odie

Oprah = the Hypnotoad of our Generation

strawman

strawman

As of August at least 2 people in the Netherlands have died due to H1N1, or the Mexican Flu as it's referred to there. That was with less than 1% of the population infected.

Ignorance must be comfy.

Asserting that Netherland humans are somehow different from other humans in similar countries with respect to disease risk is foolhardy at best.

-Adam

Fun Size

Fun Size

And yet, not one healthy young adult has actually had a problem here.[/quote]

As of August at least 2 people in the Netherlands have died due to H1N1, or the Mexican Flu as it's referred to there. That was with less than 1% of the population infected.

Ignorance must be comfy.

Asserting that Netherland humans are somehow different from other humans in similar countries with respect to disease risk is foolhardy at best.

-Adam[/QUOTE]

It's the wooden shoes and salty licorice. Totally change the human response to viral infection.

strawman

strawman

And yet, not one healthy young adult has actually had a problem here.[/quote]

Ignorance must be comfy.

-Adam[/quote]

It's the wooden shoes and salty licorice. Totally change the human response to viral infection.[/QUOTE]

It's all so clear! Viruses and bacteria die more quickly on wooden cutting boards than synthetic cutting boards, so the wooden shoes makes sense, and they also can't survive in an extremely salty environment either!

Brilliant!

We shall clog our way to a disease free humanity!

-Adam

Rob King

Rob King

It's all so clear! Viruses and bacteria die more quickly on wooden cutting boards than synthetic cutting boards, so the wooden shoes makes sense, and they also can't survive in an extremely salty environment either!

Brilliant!

We shall clog our way to a disease free humanity!

-Adam
If Obama hadn't already walked off with it, I know exactly who I'd like to see with this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

Hint:
It's Steinman

Seraphyn

Seraphyn

Ignorance must be comfy.

-Adam[/QUOTE]

4 actually, all of them already in danger of dieing of other ailments. I hardly call that healthy young adults. And I never tried to imply that somehow Dutchies are different in term of diseases, but you guys made it sound like people are just dropping dead on the streets en masse without any other reason then the flu, which is something that's just not happening here.

I know the flu season is still coming and I know it could mutate, but it's still not proven to be any more deadly then the normal yearly flu we have, so why get a shot this year when in the past years it was ok not to get a shot? Last year I was just a John Doe average for not getting a shot, but this year I'm suddenly the worlds most gigantic moron.. I don't get it.

If it gets worse, I'll get a shot like everyone else, but right now I don't see the point.

Oh I'm not saying you shouldn't get a shot, I was just trying to throw in why I'm not considering it yet.

@Li3n

@Li3n

From a more recent article about Swine Flu:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1771874/vaccines_delayed_as_h1n1_death_toll_climbs/

Schuchat also noted that 86 US children have died since the swine flu outbreak began in April of this year, nearly as many as in the last three flu seasons combined.
Also...
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_88671.html

The run-of-the-mill regular seasonal flu typically infects up to 20 percent of Americans and causes about 36,000 deaths.
Older people are thought to have some limited immunity to H1N1 because they may have been exposed to similar strains of swine flu in the past. I don't have the time to get you an article that mentions that since my baby just woke up from her nap.[/quote]

Like i said, higher risk pop should get it... as they do regular flu shots too (which might account for the extra deaths among kids, no vaccine).

But as of now the overall death toll isn't very different from regular flu (which still kills with vaccines in ample supply), so less drama would be advised. If Seraph want to risk his/hers? life/become a carrier like in every other year complaining just for this occasion seems unjustified.

See here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8021958.stm

And some more general perspective: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8035395.stm

And a nice map: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8083179.stm

Chazwozel

Personally, I miss bird flu scares.

Siska

Siska

The con for me is I'm sure there is gonna be big rush for the vaccine when it first becomes available. I don't wanna bump elbows in a full waiting room. Especially since hospitals are breeding grounds for infections. But after 2-4 weeks, I would love to get vaccinated, if the supply hasn't run out.

What is the supply anyway? I recall that they have run out of regular flue shots, some years.

Chazwozel

The con for me is I'm sure there is gonna be big rush for the vaccine when it first becomes available. I don't wanna bump elbows in a full waiting room. Especially since hospitals are breeding grounds for infections. But after 2-4 weeks, I would love to get vaccinated, if the supply hasn't run out.

What is the supply anyway? I recall that they have run out of regular flue shots, some years.
Morgo is on clinic today, but I'll ask him. I'm pretty sure that the seasonal shot production is being hampered a bit by the H1N1 vaccine. As far as bumping elbows, I'm not sure about your own local hospitals, but U Penn has days where they give out the shots for like 5 or 10 bucks to the public. It's a short queue line by the hospital cafeteria.

Covar

Covar

Now I'm actually wondering if I'm going to get the swine flu vaccine this year when the Army gives us our yearly update on shots. They normally give us the flu shot unless we opt out. 2 years ago it didn't matter since it was the wrong strain, and last year it was a nasal spray so I went ahead and got it. Of course this being the Army, this will most likely take place in either January or February.

If offered then I might take it (usually easier than opting out), but no reason to rush out and get it.

Wasabi Poptart

http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-SwineFlu/idUSTRE59J58H20091021

Latest news from the CDC interim director with the info I was looking for yesterday.

Half of those hospitalized with the new H1N1 virus are under 25, a clear illustration that the pandemic is affecting the young disproportionately, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.

They said reports from 27 U.S. states show 53 percent of people sick enough to be hospitalized with H1N1 flu are under the age of 25, with only 7 percent of hospitalizations among people 65 and older.

\"This is really, really different from what we see with seasonal flu,\" the CDC's Dr. Anne Schuchat told reporters. \"With seasonal flu, about 60 percent of hospitalizations occur in people 65 and over.

She stressed the report was incomplete but said if anything, it was underestimating the extent of the pandemic.

An analysis of 292 deaths from 28 states showed that younger people than usual are also dying, she said.

\"Almost a quarter of deaths are occurring in young people under the age of 25. Specifically, 23.6 percent of the deaths are in that age group. About 65 percent of the deaths are in people 25 to 64 years of age,\" Schuchat said.

Just 12 percent of deaths were among people over 65. In a normal year, 90 percent of those who die from flu are over 65.

With cooler weather, other viruses and infections are showing up, making the picture confusing.

Schuchat said influenza is being diagnosed in about 30 percent of all people showing up with \"influenza-like illness,\" symptoms that include cough, sore throat, fever and aches.

Almost all influenza is turning out to be H1N1 rather than seasonal influenza and Schuchat said the tests often miss cases of H1N1, so the percentage may be higher.