Swine Flue Vaccine Pro/Con List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Sorry, Seraphyn, but if Morgoth is a doctor I'm listening to him instead of you. Science vs. Personal Stories. Facts vs. Opinions.

Sniffs and sniffles are my main bread and butter. Your best bet to combat the spread of H1N1 and all other types of flu is to get vaccinated, stay home if you're sick etc...

If there's anyone I want to see issued a recall in this world it's Oprah and her ushering in this new era mindset of vaccine = bad.[/QUOTE]

Oprah needs to have a kid and have a scare that turns out to be nothing but is easily preventable with a common vaccine. Her pseudo-science bullshit is dangerous.

Including the one about how this strain affects completely healthy young people like the regular flu doesn't? Cool, I'm glad you read that.
And yet, not one healthy young adult has actually had a problem here.[/QUOTE]

As of August at least 2 people in the Netherlands have died due to H1N1, or the Mexican Flu as it's referred to there. That was with less than 1% of the population infected.

Ignorance must be comfy.

Asserting that Netherland humans are somehow different from other humans in similar countries with respect to disease risk is foolhardy at best.

-Adam

Including the one about how this strain affects completely healthy young people like the regular flu doesn't? Cool, I'm glad you read that.
And yet, not one healthy young adult has actually had a problem here.[/quote]

As of August at least 2 people in the Netherlands have died due to H1N1, or the Mexican Flu as it's referred to there. That was with less than 1% of the population infected.

Ignorance must be comfy.

Asserting that Netherland humans are somehow different from other humans in similar countries with respect to disease risk is foolhardy at best.

-Adam[/QUOTE]

It's the wooden shoes and salty licorice. Totally change the human response to viral infection.

And yet, not one healthy young adult has actually had a problem here.[/quote]

Ignorance must be comfy.

-Adam[/quote]

It's the wooden shoes and salty licorice. Totally change the human response to viral infection.[/QUOTE]

It's all so clear! Viruses and bacteria die more quickly on wooden cutting boards than synthetic cutting boards, so the wooden shoes makes sense, and they also can't survive in an extremely salty environment either!

Brilliant!

We shall clog our way to a disease free humanity!

-Adam

It's all so clear! Viruses and bacteria die more quickly on wooden cutting boards than synthetic cutting boards, so the wooden shoes makes sense, and they also can't survive in an extremely salty environment either!

Brilliant!

We shall clog our way to a disease free humanity!

-Adam
If Obama hadn't already walked off with it, I know exactly who I'd like to see with this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

Hint:
It's Steinman

And yet, not one healthy young adult has actually had a problem here.[/QUOTE]

Ignorance must be comfy.

-Adam[/QUOTE]

4 actually, all of them already in danger of dieing of other ailments. I hardly call that healthy young adults. And I never tried to imply that somehow Dutchies are different in term of diseases, but you guys made it sound like people are just dropping dead on the streets en masse without any other reason then the flu, which is something that's just not happening here.

I know the flu season is still coming and I know it could mutate, but it's still not proven to be any more deadly then the normal yearly flu we have, so why get a shot this year when in the past years it was ok not to get a shot? Last year I was just a John Doe average for not getting a shot, but this year I'm suddenly the worlds most gigantic moron.. I don't get it.

If it gets worse, I'll get a shot like everyone else, but right now I don't see the point.

Sorry, Seraphyn, but if Morgoth is a doctor I'm listening to him instead of you. Science vs. Personal Stories. Facts vs. Opinions.
Oh I'm not saying you shouldn't get a shot, I was just trying to throw in why I'm not considering it yet.

Hobo, i recall reading somewhere how you're more likely to get it from someone sneezing on door handles or on their hand and then touching the door handle then you using it etc. then from being around them...

A 5-year-old girl just died here last week of H1N1. She had no underlying health issues. She had no flu symptoms. According to her family, she suddenly developed a bad headache and the next morning had purplish swelling around her eyes. They took her to the ER of the children's hospital here. Her heart stopped while she was being examined. They tried to resuscitate her, but her heart was too weak to keep going. That's what's happening with H1N1. More kids have died from it already than the regular flu kills in a year's time.
Kids and old people are part of the at risk population... they should get vaccinated for the regular types of flu anyhow.

BTW, does anyone have some actual statistics on how many people die from the regular types of flu each year? Though because vaccination already existed they really shouldn't be higher... jenny mccarthy notwithstanding.

Hmm, CNN article from a few months back: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/28/regular.flu/index.html

From a more recent article about Swine Flu:

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1771874/vaccines_delayed_as_h1n1_death_toll_climbs/

Schuchat also noted that 86 US children have died since the swine flu outbreak began in April of this year, nearly as many as in the last three flu seasons combined.
Also...
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_88671.html

The run-of-the-mill regular seasonal flu typically infects up to 20 percent of Americans and causes about 36,000 deaths.
Older people are thought to have some limited immunity to H1N1 because they may have been exposed to similar strains of swine flu in the past. I don't have the time to get you an article that mentions that since my baby just woke up from her nap.[/quote]

Like i said, higher risk pop should get it... as they do regular flu shots too (which might account for the extra deaths among kids, no vaccine).

But as of now the overall death toll isn't very different from regular flu (which still kills with vaccines in ample supply), so less drama would be advised. If Seraph want to risk his/hers? life/become a carrier like in every other year complaining just for this occasion seems unjustified.

See here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8021958.stm

And some more general perspective: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8035395.stm

And a nice map: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8083179.stm

The con for me is I'm sure there is gonna be big rush for the vaccine when it first becomes available. I don't wanna bump elbows in a full waiting room. Especially since hospitals are breeding grounds for infections. But after 2-4 weeks, I would love to get vaccinated, if the supply hasn't run out.

What is the supply anyway? I recall that they have run out of regular flue shots, some years.

C

Chazwozel

The con for me is I'm sure there is gonna be big rush for the vaccine when it first becomes available. I don't wanna bump elbows in a full waiting room. Especially since hospitals are breeding grounds for infections. But after 2-4 weeks, I would love to get vaccinated, if the supply hasn't run out.

What is the supply anyway? I recall that they have run out of regular flue shots, some years.
Morgo is on clinic today, but I'll ask him. I'm pretty sure that the seasonal shot production is being hampered a bit by the H1N1 vaccine. As far as bumping elbows, I'm not sure about your own local hospitals, but U Penn has days where they give out the shots for like 5 or 10 bucks to the public. It's a short queue line by the hospital cafeteria.

Now I'm actually wondering if I'm going to get the swine flu vaccine this year when the Army gives us our yearly update on shots. They normally give us the flu shot unless we opt out. 2 years ago it didn't matter since it was the wrong strain, and last year it was a nasal spray so I went ahead and got it. Of course this being the Army, this will most likely take place in either January or February.

If offered then I might take it (usually easier than opting out), but no reason to rush out and get it.

W

Wasabi Poptart

http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-SwineFlu/idUSTRE59J58H20091021

Latest news from the CDC interim director with the info I was looking for yesterday.

Half of those hospitalized with the new H1N1 virus are under 25, a clear illustration that the pandemic is affecting the young disproportionately, U.S. health officials said Tuesday.

They said reports from 27 U.S. states show 53 percent of people sick enough to be hospitalized with H1N1 flu are under the age of 25, with only 7 percent of hospitalizations among people 65 and older.

\"This is really, really different from what we see with seasonal flu,\" the CDC's Dr. Anne Schuchat told reporters. \"With seasonal flu, about 60 percent of hospitalizations occur in people 65 and over.

She stressed the report was incomplete but said if anything, it was underestimating the extent of the pandemic.

An analysis of 292 deaths from 28 states showed that younger people than usual are also dying, she said.

\"Almost a quarter of deaths are occurring in young people under the age of 25. Specifically, 23.6 percent of the deaths are in that age group. About 65 percent of the deaths are in people 25 to 64 years of age,\" Schuchat said.

Just 12 percent of deaths were among people over 65. In a normal year, 90 percent of those who die from flu are over 65.

With cooler weather, other viruses and infections are showing up, making the picture confusing.

Schuchat said influenza is being diagnosed in about 30 percent of all people showing up with \"influenza-like illness,\" symptoms that include cough, sore throat, fever and aches.

Almost all influenza is turning out to be H1N1 rather than seasonal influenza and Schuchat said the tests often miss cases of H1N1, so the percentage may be higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.