[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Dance of the Dead: Zombies from a grave yard neighboring a nuclear power plant invade a town and congregate on the local prom. Only the losers who couldn't get dates can save the day.

I wasn't expecting much to start. But what I did get actually surprised me. There was a decent budget involved with the flick, and the main characters were all somewhat likeable in their own ways. The climax is actually quite hilarious and worthwhile. If I had to nitpick I'd say that the Characters didn't reach that level of loveable that makes you cringe when they bite it. It's more like "Oh he's dead? That sucks. Oh well." Plus I think there were a lot of opportunities that the film could have done more with a scene by making it just a little more life threatening or intense. Even if it was additional over the top blood and silliness.
3 out of 5 stars.

Cajungal

Staff member
I guess I just felt like they could have worked on the continuity between the two a little more.
What do you care? You're a baby? You should have forgotten both movies already and started focusing on something more shiny.

I"m a baby who appreciate continuity in my vampire/werewolf/hunky-shirtles-sdudes/moody sci-fi flicks.

W

Wyrminarrd

Just came back from seeing "Centurion". The movie is about a group of roman soldiers that survive the slaughter of their legion and have to make it back to their own lines. All in all the movie was ok, hardly anything to sing praise about but still well worth seeing.

P

Philosopher B.

Okay, I didn't really earn the right to pass judgement on it, but I saw huge chunks of Australia (basically the first hour and 40 minutes plus the last 20 minutes, or thereabouts). It was oddly structured, to begin with, almost like a miniseries. At the initial point at which I stopped watching, it already felt like I'd seen a whole Western picture (set in Australia), and when I came back in at the end, there was some kind of war picture being wrapped up.

I was also a little confused as to how much of a comedy it was supposed to be. Especially in the beginning, there were a lot of fleeting over-the-top little moments very typical of Baz Luhrmann (the bit with Kidman's reaction shot before the cut to the dead kangaroo, and the Jackman-washing-off shot - lol, it looked like a damn soap commercial).

But they didn't seem to gel with the more dramatic side of the picture, from what I saw, and the whole thing had a sort of awkward feel to it.

I guess I should watch it again, fully through, but I don't know if I can take that damn kid repeating his stock phrases once more (how many times did he either say 'Cheeky bulls' or 'Mrs. Boss'?!). He's like, I dunno, Hugh Jackman's Shortround.

Actually, there were a lot of moments that reminded me of Indiana Jones. There was one scene in which he picked up his hat that gave me Indy echoes, not to mention he had a whip at one point.

And what was with all the tight asses?! I swear, the wardrobe department painted Kidman and Jackman's pants on, and then Luhrmann told 'em to 'act with your tushes'.

And why have all these epic shots and all this 'gulupa' and aboriginal babble and then every five seconds, Jackman says 'Crickey!' What were they trying to accomplish?

Truthfully, the strongest urge the movie gave me was to watch The Wizard of Oz. Or a good Baz Luhrmann film.

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 AM ----------

And what's more, there's something stiflingly cutsey about having your film narrated by someone who pronounces England 'Ing-gal-and'.

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 AM ----------

And why have your main villain's lackey kill his boss off in a cartoonish quickie montage clip?!

Cajungal

Staff member
It did feel more like a miniseries to me, too. I didn't think it was horrible, but it could have been much much better.

Hulu has Wargames on it right now, so I watched that tonight. I'd never really sat down and just watched it all the way through so I was happy to do that. It was, of course, pretty good. I enjoyed it so much I decided to watch the direct to video sequel (also on hulu) Wargames: The Dead code.

Holy crap this movie blows. It starts off similarly to the first one. A genius-with-computers kid in high school stumbles upon what he believes to be a harmless gaming website. At this point everything goes to shit and the script just gets bogged down with so many unnecessary twists which all stop being important 3/4 through because that's when it just ends up being a fanfic/love letter to the first movie.

I guess I'll spoiler the rest just in case someone wants to watch this, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I mean I'm not even 100% sure what the new evil supercomputer was trying to do the whole time. At first it was hunting the kid, because he was flagged as a terrorist because of how well the kid played the game along with a few unfortunate coincidences. Later though it turns out to be more personal because the kid's father died on a humanitarian mission that the computer had authorized and so his family might know too much? I'm not quite sure. After the kid is inevitably captured he works with the people there who now don't seem to care about his possibly terror connections and just want to shut down R.I.P.L.E.Y who is...turning off the power to Philadelphia? It's some kind of decontamination program which I think includes sending a predator drone to nuke the area or something. I honestly have no idea what the worst case scenario was. However, thankfully for Philly, there's a reactivated Joshua who bogs down RIPLEY's program by running millions of games of chess/checkers/tic-tac-toe etc. Basically the supercomputer from the first movie is not only the goodguy hero but also reduced to annoying pop up windows that take up CPU usage. Somehow this all ends up being the exact same ending as the first film. Joshua and Ripley play nuclear war games and Ripley comes to the conclusion that this is a strange game and the only winning move is to not play.

Watched The Road. Very heavy movie and a brutally realistic look at a post-apocalyptic scenario. They also manage to create suspense just by suggesting the main characters might run into other people. I enjoyed it but have something light-hearted on hand to watch when it's over.

Watched The Road. Very heavy movie and a brutally realistic look at a post-apocalyptic scenario. They also manage to create suspense just by suggesting the main characters might run into other people. I enjoyed it but have something light-hearted on hand to watch when it's over.
I really enjoyed the movie. It captured a lot of what happened in the book so well. You'd probably like the book too, since it creates even more suspense not only by just the possibility of running into people but also by keeping track of supplies along with the characters. When they eat their last can of peaches it kind of gets to you because now they're one can of peaches closer to starving to death.

Saw A-Team today. It's fun. It's not a perfect movie. It's cartoony and the story logic is most decidedly thin in spots, but it's still enjoyable. This is especially true if you have any nostalgia at all for the original series.

There is an Easter egg after the credits finish.

The Karate Kid. It's good, incorporating themes from the original. The kid holds his own...has an awkward, yet charming screen presence...much like his dad's.

I hate this thread.

W

Wyrminarrd

"The Losers". Pretty good movie, the cast had chemistry and the main villain was funny and worked really well. Still not sure about Chris Evans being Captain America but this movie made the choice a bit easier to understand.

Saw A-Team today. It's fun. It's not a perfect movie. It's cartoony and the story logic is most decidedly thin in spots, but it's still enjoyable. This is especially true if you have any nostalgia at all for the original series.

There is an Easter egg after the credits finish.
I just saw this today. I thought it was a fun 'turn your brain off and enjoy the action' type movie.

Finally saw Prince of Persia. Not a bad summer big dumb action flick. The story was... wobbly, but it looked good.

I watched Hancock again last night. Second time I've seen it. Strange thing about this movie I only watch it in times of emotional distress so I have no idea if it is any good or not because I can't get into it. The first time I was breaking up with my wife, this time I was breaking up with my girlfriend of a year.

I think I've found my break up movie....

Shrek Forever After: I personally enjoyed the film. It seemed to get a little too much hate. I think the franchise got a little old. To the point where Dreamworks can not capture that lightning in a bottle again like they did with the first two.

W

wana10

just got back from toy story 3...it was amazing.
first, the little short before it was wonderful, i'd easily rank it as one of my favourite pre-movie shorts that pixar has done.
second, the movie itself, perfect in every way. some of you will inevitably disagree with me but that's just, like, your opinion man. I loved every part of the movie.:biggrin:

North_Ranger

Staff member
Metropolis (1927) by Fritz Lang.

One of the very first robot movies, I just had to see this when it came on the culture channel. It was a... strange experience. Lang uses hallucinations and visions as much as vistas of machines and futuristic vistas, the factories of Metropolis being a kind of artistic purgatory. In these segments the film is at its strongest, but at others you can see how damn dated it is. For instance, one of the scene involves the robot Maria, now turned into a human disguise, dancing seductively to a group of men, making them lust for her, do anything for her. And... well, see for yourself:

I nearly choked on my own laughter.

P

Philosopher B.

Saw clips of that in Film class. 'Tis some wacky sheeit.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Also, this is totally my Halforums posting face:

C

Cobra Star

My gf and I have agreed to "educate" each other with movies/anime we each like that the other hasn't seen yet. So she's been showing me the Inuyasha films. While very obviously aimed at a young female audience, I can see how it would appeal to so many. It reminds me a bit of the series I will introduce her to: Tenchi.

C

Cobra Star

Oh I agree completely. The similiarity I think lies in the fact that Inuyasha was the first anime she ever got into, and Tenchi was mine.

C

Cobra Star

Final season aired recently actually. We're not watching the series, just the films. She's been providing the "backround" info I need to know what's going on.

Valentine's Day (or it was my wife's turn to pick!)

Awful, awful, awful movie. No real plot. Some of the stories have no point and go nowhere. Acting was very wooden. There are a couple of laughs, but they are very few and far between. It's unbelievably pointless. There's just no story there at all.