[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Weird thing with me and this movie is, I had never seen the first two growing up. So I watched them both for the first time only a few months before the third one released. And I thought they were...eh, not great? I probably would have appreciated them more with rose-colored nostalgia glasses firmly in place. They were dumb and I didn't necessarily regret watching them, but the jokes were more miss than hit for me.

And yet...I also oddly really enjoyed 3. Maybe it was just that right boost of positivity at the right time, right when the lockdowns were going on and everything in the world sucked (I mean, the world still sucks, but the pandemic is mildly better now than it was then, with vaccinations and re-openings?). It was just one of those rightly timed, goofy fun movies that I think myself and a lot of other people needed at that time. It's not great, but I certainly don't regret watching it.

I liked #1 when it came out. Distinctly did not like #2, though it's grown on me over the years and I enjoy it now. And even though I knew exactly how #3 would end about 20 minutes into the movie, I still enjoyed it.

It's not high art. But I've been known to enjoy cheesy cinema now and again.

Loved it as well, and while it ain't a perfect sequel, I feel that works to the film's charm given the theme of the high pressure of living up to expectations.

I think I would have been more unenthusiastic about Bill and Ted 3 if I had paid to see it in the theater, but at home? It was a simple, goofy film. Brigette Lundy-Paine was perfect as Ted's daughter.

No, the Bill and Ted films were never perfect or high art, but they were just goofy enough for me as a kid. A stoner film without the actual drugs.

So, i just got back the Eternals... and it wasn't bad at all.

They did stray from the mainstream comic version in some ways i didn't agree with, and they used the Earth X thing for you-know-what-if -you-read-Earth-X, which i'm not sure works very well for an ongoing story, and not a limited series, but well see where they take it.

Didn't really like the more rocky Celestial forms, but i get why they used it.

That being said, i couldn't believe it when
Motherfucking PIP the TROLL just shows the fuck up...
and then followed by
Bloody STARFOX...
who then actually
name checks Thanos as HIS BROTHER!!! (and he says he's also an Eternal...)

I was totally not fucking expecting that.

Also, the 2nd post credit scene was such a damn cock tease...

Also, the 2nd post credit scene was such a damn cock tease...
If you saw the scene you probably realized this already, but
that was Blade’s voice (Mahershala Ali) asking him if he really wants to pick up the sword. Fuck yeah!

Also,
I saw a theory online that they are working towards a Midnight Sons movie with Blade, Black Knight, Ghost Rider, et al.

That has me super excited!

Reactions: Cat
If you saw the scene you probably realized this already, but
that was Blade’s voice (Mahershala Ali) asking him if he really wants to pick up the sword. Fuck yeah!
Ah, i didn't, because it sounded a bit like Fury, but not Fury, so i was wondering who that was supposed to be.

And i kind of forgot they cast Cottonmouth as Blade...

Watched The Dirties tonight and started tearing up at the end. Amazing little indie film about what it was like to be a film guy in high school

Reactions: Far
We went to see the new James Bond yesterday, gotta say, that was a very good one. Way better than Spectre was (low bar to clear, yes, but still).

Was gonna cancel HBO max..but then I realized a lot of movies are going there almost immediately after theatrical release. Watched the new Dune without having to pay $30 for the privilege (looking at you Disney+).

I've read a lot of the Dune books, and seen the 1984 film. I don't have the luxury of knowing how I'd feel without all that information already in my brain. But as it is, I enjoyed the movie. I have no big quibbles. I wasn't awestruck or anything, but it was a decently entertaining flick.

You live to fight another day HBO Max.

I watched one of those Hallmark Christmas movies with my fiancee. She's a big fan. I can't remember what is was called, but it involves a woman from a big city who visits her small hometown for Christmas. She reconnects with her boyfriend from high school, dumps her fiance who works hard in the city, and she ultimately decides to stay in town because it has everything she really needs.

Does that narrow it down?

I watched one of those Hallmark Christmas movies with my fiancee. She's a big fan. I can't remember what is was called, but it involves a woman from a big city who visits her small hometown for Christmas. She reconnects with her boyfriend from high school, dumps her fiance who works hard in the city, and she ultimately decides to stay in town because it has everything she really needs.

Was it the Notebook?

From what I've heard, that's all of them.

The Old Guard

I somehow didn't watch this until last night with my best friend. Which is weird because Greg Rucka (the screenwriter) is one of my favourite writers (both comics and novels).

And damn, do I regret not seeing this sooner because it was great. What I especially liked was a lot of little unspoken character details. Stuff that, in a lot of other movies, would take a minute or two of dialogue to explain. Instead, it's a look and a close up of something. I'm not sure if that's good directing or a result of a good script with those details, but it really works.

The make-up effects on the gore and injuries could have been better, but it also wasn't flashy or over the top, which I appreciated. The effect on the immortal characters healing was really well done. And the action was inCREDibly well choreographed. They clearly show these thousand year old characters, while they still get injured, forgot more ways to kill someone than the soldiers they're fighting have ever learned.

Just overall, some top notch stuff and I can't wait for a sequel now.

The Old Guard

I somehow didn't watch this until last night with my best friend. Which is weird because Greg Rucka (the screenwriter) is one of my favourite writers (both comics and novels).

And damn, do I regret not seeing this sooner because it was great. What I especially liked was a lot of little unspoken character details. Stuff that, in a lot of other movies, would take a minute or two of dialogue to explain. Instead, it's a look and a close up of something. I'm not sure if that's good directing or a result of a good script with those details, but it really works.

The make-up effects on the gore and injuries could have been better, but it also wasn't flashy or over the top, which I appreciated. The effect on the immortal characters healing was really well done. And the action was inCREDibly well choreographed. They clearly show these thousand year old characters, while they still get injured, forgot more ways to kill someone than the soldiers they're fighting have ever learned.

Just overall, some top notch stuff and I can't wait for a sequel now. (inb4 someone says yarrr....I make it a point not to download movies.)
I really wish this would come out on DVD so that I could get it into my plex library. (inb4 someone says "yarrr"..I generally make it a point not to download stuff)

Last edited:

Hey, in a lot of them the woman is single because she just never focused on love.

Eternals

Well I guess they're not doing Galactus in the MCU now.

Anyway, overall I liked it. I appreciated the slower pace of the movie compared to most comic book films, and I thought many of the shots and scenes were visually spectacular. The cast all do well, with Gemma Chan doing most of the heavy lifting as the main lead. Her chemistry with Richard Madden is delightful. The story was fine, though I think it might introduce some inconsistencies with earlier MCU movies vis a vis Celestials.

Though I felt the uber Deviant was a bit superfluous, and Ikaris going bad was far too obviously telegraphed. Still though, these are minor issues, and on the whole I liked this film.

Finally, every Eternal was hot, aside from Sprite cause I don't think the "she's actually a 7000 year old immortal" excuse is a valid one. Gemma Chan is still the hottest though.

Last edited:
Eternals

Well I guess they're not doing Galactus in the MCU now.
They could still totally do Galactus. They'd be crazy not to. Fans have wanted proper Galactus since the evil cloud in Rise of the Silver Surfer. In fact, Eternals sets up an interesting possibility:
Suppose Galactus doesn't just devour random planets or whatever one has the most energy or whatever.
What if he specifically devours planets seeded with a Celestial? Or perhaps he's a rogue Celestial gone mad or something? Or both?
Now, whether they go that route, I don't know. But that's the route I'd go if introducing Galactus.

Last edited:
Luca

Watched this earlier tonight on a whim. I'm kind of in an animation mood lately, so thought I'd catch up on some I missed recently. Might watch Raya & the Last Dragon sometime in the near future, as well.

Anyway, this was...okay. I don't know. It was cute and I enjoyed it, but it didn't really have much in the way of awe-dropping animation compared to other Pixar movies. Aside from a few gorgeous journeys into the imagination, most of the animation felt more on the level of a TV show than a cinematic movie. That's not to say it was bad by any means. It just didn't feel on par with Pixar's usual track record. The story was...okay, but we didn't really get to know Luca's aquatic life or that society and 90% of the movie is him dealing with life above water. And it's fine, but nothing really stood out for me, again, like previous Pixar movies.

Still, I'm glad I watched it and it got a few chuckles out of me.

Last edited:
Luca

Watched this earlier tonight on a whim. I'm kind of in an animation mood lately, so thought I'd catch up on some I missed recently. Might watch Raya & the Last Dragon sometime in the near future, as well.

Anyway, this was...okay. I don't know. It was cute and I enjoyed it, but it didn't really have much in the way of awe-dropping animation compared to other Pixar movies. Aside from a few gorgeous journeys into the imagination, most of the animation felt more on the level of a TV show than a cinematic movie. That's not to say it was bad by any means. It just didn't feel on par with Pixar's usual track record. The story was...okay, but we didn't really get to know Luca's aquatic life or that society and 90% of the movie is him dealing with life above water. And it's fine, but nothing really stood out for me, again, like previous Pixar movies.

Still, I'm glad I watched it and it got a few chuckles out of me.
We watched Luca last night, too! And I completely agree. It felt like a Disney movie, but not a Pixar movie.

In fact, Eternals sets up an interesting possibility:
Suppose Galactus doesn't just devour random planets or whatever one has the most energy or whatever.
What if he specifically devours planets seeded with a Celestial? Or perhaps he's a rogue Celestial gone mad or something? Or both?
Now, whether they go that route, I don't know. But that's the route I'd go if introducing Galactus.
I mean, if they're going to ape Earth X like they did, not using that would be a fucking travesty.

I mean, if they're going to ape Earth X like they did, not using that would be a fucking travesty.
That was EXACTLY my thought on it. I'm honestly surprised, of all the things they pulled to reference or use as source material, I didn't expect Earth X. It was kind of big at the time, but I find most comic readers don't really mention it anymore. It didn't help that its two sequels were a case of diminishing returns.

Was gonna cancel HBO max..but then I realized a lot of movies are going there almost immediately after theatrical release. Watched the new Dune without having to pay $30 for the privilege (looking at you Disney+).

I've read a lot of the Dune books, and seen the 1984 film. I don't have the luxury of knowing how I'd feel without all that information already in my brain. But as it is, I enjoyed the movie. I have no big quibbles. I wasn't awestruck or anything, but it was a decently entertaining flick.

You live to fight another day HBO Max.
Hope the family atomics will make an appearance in the sequel but I've got a feeling that scene will be used to show a laser/shield reaction

I didn't expect Earth X.
I mean once the "experimenting on humans for some reason" was out, what else are they going to use as to why the Celestials put Eternals on a planet?

It was definitely one of the possibilities i was considering. The other one was that the Deviants where a mistake the Celestials made (well, this was more of a hope, since them not being Celestial creations would have dissapointed me greatly), which also turned out to be the case (although in a whole different circumstance then i'd hoped).

It didn't help that its two sequels were a case of diminishing returns.
To be fair, it's not like they could have outshone the first one, it was damn near perfect.

I did enjoy the weird metaphysical take on the, well, Marvel metaphysical realms.

I've got a feeling that scene will be used to show a laser/shield reaction
Hope not, since that wouldn't make for a clever use the technicality of not using them against people.

Plus, i've always assumed the nuclear blast possibility was more remote then their mentions of it make it sound, and most of the time you'd just have both ends being disintegrated, which is why they're not used as a suicide bombing by nothing-to-lose extremists.

Hope not, since that wouldn't make for a clever use the technicality of not using them against people.

Plus, i've always assumed the nuclear blast possibility was more remote then their mentions of it make it sound, and most of the time you'd just have both ends being disintegrated, which is why they're not used as a suicide bombing by nothing-to-lose extremists.
I'm just thinking they have to show it after having a laser chasing duncan's shielded thopter and two nuclear explosions might be a bit much for one film. But I would love it if they went there

I'm just thinking they have to show it after having a laser chasing duncan's shielded thopter
I think the red lights when he got hit with missiles where supposed to tell us his shields where down...

Otherwise that was one suicidal laser operator.

I think the red lights when he got hit with missiles where supposed to tell us his shields where down...

Otherwise that was one suicidal laser operator.
Maybe. Harkonnens have no regard for human life tho, even for their own family. The beast rabban was being set up to fail as governor of arrakis so feyd would look like a hero. And remember that fucked up human spider thing? I think that's what happened to yueh's wife