[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I really liked it. It was a fun story to tie into New Hope, and continued the fine Disney Star Wars tradition of shitting all over the prequels.

My only issues with it were:

1) Jyn never felt like a criminal who needed to be convinced to join the rebellion. Seemed like it took nothing to convince her to help.
2) Oh God that Vader pun.
3) Kinda disappointed that Forest Whittaker's character wasn't in it more. He seemed like an interesting guy that I would've liked more focus on. I guess that character is from one of the TV shows though, so maybe I should check it out.
4) Oh God that Vader pun.

GasBandit

Staff member
I liked Rogue One. I had only two minor gripes about it:

SPOILERS. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT.

1) The score. The soundtrack is sub par for a star wars movie. Michael Giacchino is no John Williams. For the most part he's passable, but the part where they're climbing up the data storage hit the same orchestra strike for 32 notes in a row (with NO syncopation whatsoever, so it wasn't even like the death star blowing up scene at the end of ep 4), presumably trying to build tension, but it just went too far and almost became satire.

And the lesser gripe,
2) The first shot of the Death Star was right on target. The second one... ehhh close enough? There's no reason for the second shot to have missed the base other than to give the last two heroes ample time to descend the tower and sit on the beach holding hands while they watch their doom approach.

But that aside, it was a very enjoyable movie. I liked that it had a strong female lead who was NOT a mary sue, and I liked the "sometimes you do things you are ashamed of for a good cause" plot points, and Donnie Yen and K2SO alone are worth the price of admission.

So Rogue One. Do I see it in 3D, IMAX, 3D IMAX, or don't bother it's good in 2D?

I saw it in 3D IMAX. Of course, I pretty much decided long before that any star wars movie that came out would be seen in IMAX. That being said, some of the action, especially the space action, looks pretty great in 3D

So Rogue One. Do I see it in 3D, IMAX, 3D IMAX, or don't bother it's good in 2D?
The 3D was post conversion (as it is with most films now anyway) and while there's nothing wrong with it, the director didn't use it in a way that noticeably improved the movie.

If you generally prefer 3D, see it in 3D. If you prefer 2D you won't be missing out. Otherwise flip a coin or choose based on the best show time for you.

Though the imax image quality isn't any better than a regular theater these days, I still believe the sound system is better. Whether that's worth the extra ticket cost I don't know, but I really like good sound design and playback.

I saw it in imax 3D.

Does it say more about me or movies this year that my two favorite movies by far in 2016 are Kubo and Zootopia?
i think it was just this year. a lot of the big movies that I was excited about were somewhere between bad (superman V batman V Roe V wade, Suicide Squad goals) To kinda meh at best (Ghost-ballbusters, World of Warcraf The movie the game, StarTrek beyond the point of caring ) with the better movies being the marvel ones which were...fine but honestly felt very much like marvel movies to me with a lot of safe and standard things that happened.

The only ones that were kind of stand out where ones that were really unique like zootopia, kubo, hell or high water, and the nice guys IMO.

with the better movies being the marvel ones which were...fine but honestly felt very much like marvel movies to me with a lot of safe and standard things that happened.
I agree for Doctor Strange, but Civil War really knocked it out of the park. I think there's just been enough sludge since then that we're forgetting, but that was a much smarter and tenser movie than it had to be, with only the airport scene being 15 minutes of standard MCU inserted into Winter Soldier 2.

Let's see, what even did I see that came out this year?

The Witch (excellent horror)
Deadpool (excellent comedy)
Zootopia (just all-around excellent, I've seen criticisms that it wasn't humorous enough, but I'm glad it took itself a little more seriously ... yeah, I cried at that one scene)
Captain America: Civil War (better political movie than superhero movie; Russo brothers know their shit)
The Conjuring 2 (lame horror movie)
Ghostbusters (meh comedy)
Suicide Squad (almost so bad it's good, but not quite, but I didn't hate it)
Kubo and the Two Strings (I still haven't seen the entirety of it, but what I saw was outstanding)
Doctor Strange (good movie, never need to see it again)
Moana (wonderful movie ... also probably never need to see it again)
Shin Godzilla

... Shin Godzilla

I agree for Doctor Strange, but Civil War really knocked it out of the park. I think there's just been enough sludge since then that we're forgetting, but that was a much smarter and tenser movie than it had to be, with only the airport scene being 15 minutes of standard MCU inserted into Winter Soldier 2.

Let's see, what even did I see that came out this year?

The Witch (excellent horror)
Deadpool (excellent comedy)
Zootopia (just all-around excellent, I've seen criticisms that it wasn't humorous enough, but I'm glad it took itself a little more seriously ... yeah, I cried at that one scene)
Captain America: Civil War (better political movie than superhero movie; Russo brothers know their shit)
The Conjuring 2 (lame horror movie)
Ghostbusters (meh comedy)
Suicide Squad (almost so bad it's good, but not quite, but I didn't hate it)
Kubo and the Two Strings (I still haven't seen the entirety of it, but what I saw was outstanding)
Doctor Strange (good movie, never need to see it again)
Moana (wonderful movie ... also probably never need to see it again)
Shin Godzilla

... Shin Godzilla

Sooooo...you didn't like it?

That's a shame.

Shin Godzilla looks like a terrible movie. First Godzilla is facing downwards and then suddenly he's facing forwards? Where's the consistency? And they managed to shoehorn a Jon Stewart cameo in it too? What's the point?

:troll:

Saw Rogue One yesterday.

Deciding when I'll try and see it again.

This is the Star Wars movie I've wanted to see since the first time I played a Star Wars d6 game.

It was beautiful and sad and triumphant and extremely badass. We're so used to dealing with characters chosen by destiny with ripples of fate around them, that it was nice to see a bunch of regular people fighting for a cause, not because of their mythic lineage.

Saw rogue one, loved the callbacks to Clone Wars and Rebels (both which I have binge-watched with my older kid).

The Admiral Thrawn-like costume from the new season of Rebels, as well as the hammerhead ships they stole for the Rebellion, the ship from Rebels appearing and their Captain being mentioned, and clone wars stuff like the dark saber mention and Saw Gererra from Clone Wars being an integral part of the first part.

Not to mention the confirmation of how powerful Vader is, needing no saber to stop blasts, like in ep V in cloud city.[DOUBLEPOST=1482373826,1482373727][/DOUBLEPOST]
that it was nice to see a bunch of regular people fighting for a cause, not because of their mythic lineage.
Amen, Star Wars was pretty much about how the Skywalker family screwed the galaxy. Good to see Disneynseeing the money to be made in telling the stories of those being screwed.

Took my daughter and her friend to see Sing today. It was actually pretty good. The plot was pretty predictable (but what movie isn't these days), but it was very enjoyable.

Saw rogue one, loved the callbacks to Clone Wars and Rebels (both which I have binge-watched with my older kid).

The Admiral Thrawn-like costume from the new season of Rebels, as well as the hammerhead ships they stole for the Rebellion, the ship from Rebels appearing and their Captain being mentioned, and clone wars stuff like the dark saber mention and Saw Gererra from Clone Wars being an integral part of the first part.

Not to mention the confirmation of how powerful Vader is, needing no saber to stop blasts, like in ep V in cloud city.[DOUBLEPOST=1482373826,1482373727][/DOUBLEPOST]Amen, Star Wars was pretty much about how the Skywalker family screwed the galaxy. Good to see Disneynseeing the money to be made in telling the stories of those being screwed.
Well, that's less "force power" and more "my arm is robotic and armor plated so blaster bolts aren't much of a problem."

Suicide Squad

There's a really good movie in here, hidden deep inside a really bad one. Some of the cast deliver really good performances. I thought Margot Robbie nailed Harley Quinn, and Viola Davis's Amanda Waller was on point too. Will Smith was his usual charming self as Deadshot. Rick Flag, in contrast, felt outshined by Deadshot and Harley, while the other squad members were largely forgettable. Which is a pity, because I'm still waiting for Jai Courtney to come good. On the antagonist side, Enchantress was terrible, but I didn't find Jared Leto's Joker to be quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be. There are problems with it, but it largely works.

but I didn't find Jared Leto's Joker to be quite as bad as everyone makes it out to be. There are problems with it, but it largely works.
Did you watch some extended cut the rest of us didn't where Jared Leto is replaced by an actor who isn't dumb as hell about the performance?

Oliver and Company because fuck it I like cartoons. Its a little better than okay, not the best Disney film I've seen but not the worst. Technically wise its nothing spectacular, but the animation flows well and it has some neat character designs ALTHOUGH-I don't get why the main bad-guy's car was CGI, its like "HEY-we're using computers! NOTICE US!" The voice acting while fine on their own, occasionally gets jumbled as certain characters talk at the same time and it doesn't sync up, especially when they're all singing. On the topic of the characters, did there were definitely too many of them: Street Smart leader, British Guy, Dumb Guy, the Girl Dog, and Cheech Marrond Chihuahua. Hell, it probably only needed Dodger, I get its supposed to be like Oliver Twist with a gang and everything, but adaptations don't need to be completely accurate. And while the story does go from 0 to 100 back to 0 and then 100 again, the climax is pretty damn great given how utterly grizzly it is, one of the bad-guy dogs gets electrocuted to death on a subway track, while I think the main bad guy gets an off-screen decapitation by a TRAIN! I'd say like a C minus to C plus.

Last edited:
ALTHOUGH-I don't get why the main bad-guy's car was CGI, its like "HEY-we're using computers! NOTICE US!"
At the time, they were trying to find ways to integrate CGI with traditional animation, saving time and money on hard-to-animate (and keep consistent) scenes. I believe the first film they used it was The Great Mouse Detective and continued from there.[DOUBLEPOST=1482975740,1482975474][/DOUBLEPOST]Side note: Before The Little Mermaid was released and became my all-time favorite, I used to love Oliver and Company. I had one of those movie-story-on-tape with full soundtrack thingies and pretty much wore it out. I thought Bette Midler's Georgette was the greatest.

I remember there being a special from Disney* that they sited The Great Mouse Detective as their first real use of CGI. So this could be for a few reasons:
1) Since the movies were released a year apart, which means they were being worked on at the same time, they may have done TGMD work first
2) This site notes that the first CGI objects (the flames at the end) were used in The Black Cauldron, the first major use of CGI occurred in the Big Ben scene in TGMD
3) Disney is trying hard to make us forget The Black Cauldron

(*I can't remember if it was part of a special about Pixar or an extra on one of their movie dvds.)

What I remember most is some behind-the-scenes of Cauldron showing someone making a point of showing how cobblestones and stairs were being generated as backdrops with the help of computers. Also the stained-glass knight from Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) was another (non-Disney) CGI breakthrough.
I also remember noticing (when I saw it in the theater) that the giant mouse of Minsk from An American Tail (1986) was obviously CG-assisted, even if all the computer might've done was draw the wireframes.
And if Disney wanted us to forget Cauldron so bad, they could. We already know what they did to Song of the South.

--Patrick

Swiss Army Man

Weird as all fuck, but also an interesting movie about loneliness, love, mental illness, and human nature. Not bad for a movie about a magical farting talking corpse.

HUGE twist near the end that makes sense, but I did not see coming.

The Great Mouse Detective Now THIS is a solid film, good characters, great animation, that haunting clock tower scene that was a pretty good use of CGI for the time, great flick. ONE THING THOUGH-did Watson have two dogs in the book series? I remember in the first book he said he had a bull pup before moving in with Sherlocke Holmes, but the Toby in both this film and the description of the book in general, looked WAY different than a bull dog. OR-I'm just remembering wrong, whatevs, good movie.

Oddly enough by the way, I remember that small interaction of Sherlocke meeting Watson for the first time more than the actual mystery. And then there's this weird back-story about Utah that goes on forever, an odd start.

fade

Staff member
3) Disney is trying hard to make us forget The Black Cauldron

(*I can't remember if it was part of a special about Pixar or an extra on one of their movie dvds.)
"Let's take one of the most awesome fantasy series ever written, take a huge poop on the story, and then retain the rights forever so no one else can make a movie that actually honors the story." --Disney, probably

"Let's take one of the most awesome fantasy series ever written, take a huge poop on the story, and then retain the rights forever so no one else can make a movie that actually honors the story." --Disney, probably
This is part of the problem with Terry Pratchet's works: Disney has (or had) the rights to Morte, were GOING to make an animated movie a few years back, then nixed it when they couldn't make it as family friendly as they wanted. There's a reason virtually all adaptions of his work are done outside the US.