[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Saw Terminator Dark Fate today.

It's not the worst of them. That still goes to Genisus from a few years back. The action is at least serviceable so that's something.

If you do watch this, know that it's a new-new timeline that replaces everything that happened after T2. T3, salvation, Genisus and the show never happened. Also, something that I guess I'd missed from T2 is that Skynet just absolutely peppered the past with Terminators. I'd always assumed they sent the first one, then realizing it failed sent the T-1000 and so on. Nope, it just opened the flood gate and sent a plethora in and dropped them off at various points in the past.

Ok now for my spoiler problems

My biggest issue is how they shoehorn Arnie into this thing and make him a good guy.

So a couple years after the events of T2, Sarah and John are chilling at a beach resort when an Arnold type T-800 just walks in and blows John away. It then leaves and instead of just avoiding all human interaction or self-destructiing or anything that makes sense it... integrated into human society, met a woman who was being abused, took her and her son in, started a curtain business and learned to regret his actions.

Like it just evolves past being a terminator and learns to essentially feel love.

Other big nag about the movie is the new resistance member who gets sent back in time. She isn't a good terminator or anything. She's a human who's been augmented with cybernetics. She needs various medicine from time to time because of...reasons. it just comes up every now and again and doesn't really matter at all. She doesn't really have enough personality to have a flaw so she just gets this oddly specific physical flaw that only pops up twice.

The action makes it watchable but honestly this is a franchise that, like many many others, could just die and nothing of value would be lost.

I agree, both Angry Birds movies were surprisingly watchable. They are not good movies, on the whole, but there are things in there that work. Most of the jokes landed for me.

The Willoughbys
Netflix gets some good animation. Out of curiosity I checked this one out and I'm glad I did. A modern-day Roald Dahl story.

figmentPez

Staff member
Hotel Artemis

It was okay. Which was kinda disappointing because a movie with Jodie Foster, Dave Bautista, Jeff Goldblum, Sterling K. Brown, Sofia Boutella, and Zachary Quinto should have been a lot more than just okay.

It's about a safe house / emergency room for criminals, and Foster plays the proprietor and head medical person The Nurse. It's not a bad concept, and there are some really good moments, but overall it just kinda meanders through the story without enough punch. It seemed to me that it didn't really know what kinda movie it wanted to be, so it didn't really commit to any one thing too much. Is the hotel Artemis a swanky high-end joint where top dollar buys the best service, or is it a falling-apart relic that's as dysfunctional as it's guests, is it going to play up the dichotomy between the two? Nah, not any of these, really. It's just kinda whatever the script needs it to be at the moment.

It's not a bad watch, but I'm doubtful I'll remember it in a few years time.

We need a thread update that isn't a political thread. My brain can't take any more. SO-

Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn - this was so much better than Suicide Squad, and yet, still suffered from some of the same issues. Once again, Margot Robbie steals the show as Harley, and does an amazing job of it. So nice to see her fleshed out here, and not just used as fap-material or shoe-horning in the Joker. But much like SS, this was titled as a team movie, and none of the other female leads get much development. Disappointing, since I've been a long-time fan of Huntress and Black Canary. But much like SS, one thing bugs me most of all, and that's if you're going to base these movies in Gotham, are you really going to have us believe NO ONE in the Bat family is going to show up? Batman is such a micro-manager, there is NO WAY he'd let these events go unsupervised. Pick another city!

Rocketman - Another enjoyable jukebox biography. Taron Eggerton really does an amazing job at playing Elton John, and his singing, while not an exact imitation of John's, fits the music so well. (I read that Elton had actually instructed Eggerton to sing the songs his own way, and it was good advice.) Not quite as sanitized as Bohemian Rhapsody, but probably not as dark as the real events in Elton's life. Also, let's admit, even though they did a good job making him look like Elton, Eggerton is a bit more, um, traditional handsome, even with the makeup. TBH, given where my head it at the past few days, I probably shouldn't have watched this right now because any scene with his parents left me depressed.

Blinded by the Light - this was sweet and hopeful, and reminded me a bit of Yesterday. Not one of Gurinder Chadha's strongest movies, IMO, but a good way to spend 2 hours and come out feeling better. I didn't know Peggy Carter Hayley Atwell had a supporting role in this and was pleasantly surprised to see her! I also had no idea this was based on a true story. Overall, I liked the use of Bruce's music, and loved seeing that they actually came to NJ to get some of the shots around Monmouth county. I feel like the dialogue was strong in some scenes, and a tad awkward in others, bordering on cliche, but then again, one of the points of the movie is that the struggles of the working class are a universal language.

Dave

Staff member
Was not a fan of the Harley Quinn movie. Robbie was the only bright spot in it and even she suffered from the shit material they gave her. The rest of the "team" was poorly conceived, terribly acted, and caricatures.

Just watched Happy Death Day. Surprisingly solid horror flick, though pretty predictable by somehow following the exact structure of both Groundhog Day and slasher films. I figured out the killer's identity before the first day repeat. It's basically telegraphed a mile away.

Still, I had fun with it and didn't feel like I wasted an hour and a half. I enjoyed it enough that I think I'll keep going tonight with the sequel.

Just watched Happy Death Day. Surprisingly solid horror flick, though pretty predictable by somehow following the exact structure of both Groundhog Day and slasher films. I figured out the killer's identity before the first day repeat. It's basically telegraphed a mile away.

Still, I had fun with it and didn't feel like I wasted an hour and a half. I enjoyed it enough that I think I'll keep going tonight with the sequel.
They have WAY more fun with the overall concept in the sequel.

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Just a revisit with a classic. It always surprised me how dark the movie got at times with even a few characters being killed.
I love how at this point in time Mark Hamill being the Joker was already well known, and they played with that by casting him as the perfect red herring villain to throw you off regarding the Joker's identity.

So I watched Happy Death Day 2 U earlier (during work, because it was that dead). First thing that bugged me right out of the gate is they made references to things that occurred in the last movie... but they didn't happen in the final time loop. They happened in the one right before it. That's more of a pet peeve about consistency where consistency should matter in a movie like this.

But...I don't know. I wasn't as crazy about this one. I get what they were going for, as kind of more a scif-fi comedy with a slight mix of slasher as a token continuation of the first but I think I liked the first one more. This was fine and had some fun moments, but yeah.

I didn't honestly care for them explaining how the first movie or the day repeats in general happened. And despite the departure away from horror, it still held most of the same beat-for-beat structure as the first. And AGAIN, I figured out who the killer was almost immediately.

All that said, I liked it enough that if there were a third in the series, I'd be down for it. It's a fun enough concept and the actors all look like they're enjoying themselves.

So I watched Happy Death Day 2 U earlier (during work, because it was that dead). First thing that bugged me right out of the gate is they made references to things that occurred in the last movie... but they didn't happen in the final time loop. They happened in the one right before it. That's more of a pet peeve about consistency where consistency should matter in a movie like this.

All that said, I liked it enough that if there were a third in the series, I'd be down for it. It's a fun enough concept and the actors all look like they're enjoying themselves.
Well if they do a third they better hurry up and make it happen. The actors need to keep looking like they are the same age.

I watched these films based on your consideration and I enjoyed them. I like them both just fine and thought that the slight change in tone in the first one was reasonable for a sequel. In fact, it was a pretty good sequel as far as sequels go. It was a continuation of the first by rehashing the same plot but with a fun twist and new stakes.

If these movies were fun for anyone though, I highly recommend Detention. It's a quirky indi-film that came out in 2011 that is a mix of slasher/sci-fi/and 90s teen comedy. I'd post the trailer, but it really doesn't even come close to demonstrating the actual tone and silliness of the film. Just be sure to hold onto your seat for a ridiculous ride.

Last edited:
Well if they do a third they better hurry up and make it happen. The actors need to keep looking like they are the same age.

I watched these films based on your consideration and I enjoyed them. I like them both just fine and thought that the slight change in tone in the first one was reasonable for a sequel. In fact, it was a pretty good sequel as far as sequels go. It was a continuation of the first by rehashing the same plot but with a fun twist and new stakes.

If these movies were fun for anyone though, I highly recommend Detention. It's a quirky indi-film that came out in 2011 that is a mix of slasher/sci-fi/and 90s teen comedy. I'd post the trailer, but it really doesn't even come close to demonstrating the actual tone and silliness of the film. Just be sure to hold onto your seat for a ridiculous ride.
I always meant to watch Detention. I never got around to it. Maybe I'll fix that.

Watched two horror flicks last night with some friends:

1) Blood Quantum. It's a zombie flick set on a Canadian First Nations reserve. And here's the kicker: the First Nations people are immune to infection. Really great little Canadian indie film and some fucking fantastic practical gore effects. Seriously worth checking out.

2) The Final Girls. Kind of a horror/comedy where some teenagers get pulled into a cheesy 80s horror flick. It focused a little too much on the main character's serious story with her mother (who plays an actress in the movie they're pulled into), and it feels like they didn't go for gags as often as they should have, but it was a lot of fun.

Just finished watching MIDSOMMAR. It was incredibly unsettling and disturbing. I think I liked this more than HEREDITARY because its tone was more consistent right to the end (rather than the supernatural funhouse at the end of HEREDITARY).

Watched two horror flicks last night with some friends:

2) The Final Girls. Kind of a horror/comedy where some teenagers get pulled into a cheesy 80s horror flick. It focused a little too much on the main character's serious story with her mother (who plays an actress in the movie they're pulled into), and it feels like they didn't go for gags as often as they should have, but it was a lot of fun.
I love this film so much. It plays it a bit safe with the gore and some of the timing on the gags don't work (only a few in particular), but otherwise its really impressive. The daughter/mother story was surprisingly well done in my opinion. It tugs on my heart strings every time. Those ending scenes at the church... marvelous.

Pacific Rim: Uprising

This was not as horrible as I'd been led to believe. It's inferior to the first one, sure, but I still found it fun and exciting. It is big, loud, and dumb, and makes no apologies for that. A nice popcorn movie to spend 90 minutes on.

But oh god, when it gets dumb, it gets REALLY dumb.

Apparently all the Kaiju in the first film wanted to head to Mount Fuji? And they attacked cities because those cities happened to be in the way? Okay, so explain to me how a Kaiju coming from the Breach in the middle of the Pacific Ocean would find SAN FRANSISCO to be an inconvenient barrier on its way to Japan. Or SYDNEY. Or MANILA.

Pacific Rim: Uprising

This was not as horrible as I'd been led to believe. It's inferior to the first one, sure, but I still found it fun and exciting. It is big, loud, and dumb, and makes no apologies for that. A nice popcorn movie to spend 90 minutes on.

But oh god, when it gets dumb, it gets REALLY dumb.

Apparently all the Kaiju in the first film wanted to head to Mount Fuji? And they attacked cities because those cities happened to be in the way? Okay, so explain to me how a Kaiju coming from the Breach in the middle of the Pacific Ocean would find SAN FRANSISCO to be an inconvenient barrier on its way to Japan. Or SYDNEY. Or MANILA.
They did not stop to ask for directions.

I never watched it because I've heard it has a lot of teeth grinding and that is a no-no thing for me.

I cannot watch or listen to that.

I never watched it because I've heard it has a lot of teeth grinding and that is a no-no thing for me.

I cannot watch or listen to that.
I don't know that I noticed any teeth grinding, but I imagine it making you want to grind your teeth.

The main character is basically the opposite of Walter White. Walter has a plan for everything, Adam Sandler as Howard has no plan, he's just juggling a ton of chaos in the air and relies on his ability to keep it all going.

I don't know that I noticed any teeth grinding, but I imagine it making you want to grind your teeth.

The main character is basically the opposite of Walter White. Walter has a plan for everything, Adam Sandler as Howard has no plan, he's just juggling a ton of chaos in the air and relies on his ability to keep it all going.
Oh god, he's an evil Dilbert Pinkerton.

I was told to expect Scott Pilgrim Vs the World meets Nightmare on Elm Street/ Friday the 13th/ Scream... and that still really doesn't do justice to the wackiness of detention...

I was told to expect Scott Pilgrim Vs the World meets Nightmare on Elm Street/ Friday the 13th/ Scream... and that still really doesn't do justice to the wackiness of detention...
I mean I guess I kinda can see Scott Pilgrim in there... But I feel like its more of a competent Scary Movie (the film series. not the genre).

Just finished watching Batman & Robin tonight, with Schumacher's commentary turned on. Watched Batman Forever the other night, doing the same. It's interesting listening to his insights because he doesn't try to ignore the things people say about the films. But you can tell the movies genuinely entertain him as they were supposed to and he's grateful for everyone he worked with, thanking each of them and their contributions multiple times.

And you know what? I don't care what people say about these two films.. They're pure fun. They're more of a take on Silver Age Batman. There's an insane amount of practical sets and effects, everyone's having a good time, and actors like Uma Thurman gloriously chew every inch of every scene.

They're not dark, brooding, serious takes on Batman and I'm 100% okay with that. They're fun, blatantly campy, and made to let you have fun. And that's exactly what I still get out of them all these years later.