[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

...There's an insane amount of practical sets and effects...
That was what made The Phantom of the Opera so great. The set of the opera house was ginormous, it felt real, the camera ride through the place at the beginning set the the whole maze-like structure into scene and made sure you understood later how the pohantom could haunt this place.
And the canal scene with the candles emerging from the water lighting up. Magic!

The lenght of his remembrance thread shows our appreciation as well, not sure when last a Brazelton went on for that long. :)
I put The Lost Boys up for the weekend (also thinking about Flatliners).

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant

Meh. "Meh" sums up this movie. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't really anything either. It was just so generic and bland. It was like an episode of Goosebumps or something. Even the title theme and animations were super-generic. This movie was like the film equivalent of that guy you know who kind of looks a little like everyone. Everything was recycled from elsewhere. But not any particular place. Just from the genres themselves. I like John C. Reilly and Salma Hayek, but neither saved this one.

Oh yeah, and they completely ripped off the little dwarf things from Phantasm. Same look and origin, just with a little modern CGI.

Movie night with @Squidleybits a la quarantine style. I pick 365 Days because it's a top pick on Netflix and it's blurb suggests it's some form of live action Beauty and the Beast remake.

I feel like for people born 1980 and later, Batman Forever/and Robin are the gateway/prep movies you should show them prior to busting out ‘66.

—Patrick

Scoob!

A fine Scooby Doo film, but if I GOTTA be honest, Freddy, Velma and Daphne lacked SO much meat to their characters. Honestly I feel it would've been better if it was just Shag and Scoob palling around with Team Blue Falcon, while Freddy, Daphne and Velma went on vacation or some shit.

ALSO-some folks chastise the Simon Cowell cameo for JUST being a cameo, but for ME its that he was BARELY in the film! You want a pointless cameo in Scooby Doo? FUCK YES-that's what Scooby Doo is all a-BOUT, but have them actually interact with the main fucking STORY! Fucking URKEL had more of an impact on Scooby Doo than Simon Cowell, WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?!

SO yeah, a fun flick, but if it actually went to theaters it'd PROBABLY bomb due to being VERY in-joke centric.

Tammy and the T-Rex

According to Wikipedia this was written in a week...I can believe that.

Its got the gore of a Troma movie, and the writing of a Goosebumps episode, its fucking all OVER the place!

The Other Guys

...hm. I mean...it ain't the WORST movie I've seen, but I dunno . It kinda felt like a straight-written action movie with goofball comedy moments spliced in here and there. Plus honestly they could've easily shaved like, 15-20 minutes off of it, it was a BIT too long. Finally, Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg's characters were just kind EH, nothing really new in terms of action or comedy. I don't regret watching that, but it ain't getting a rewatch from me any time soon.

I enjoyed Palm Springs as well, though I might be biased in that I literally have never NOT enjoyed something Andy Samberg is in.*

*i have no plans to watch That's My Boy.

The Other Guys

...hm. I mean...it ain't the WORST movie I've seen, but I dunno . It kinda felt like a straight-written action movie with goofball comedy moments spliced in here and there. Plus honestly they could've easily shaved like, 15-20 minutes off of it, it was a BIT too long. Finally, Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg's characters were just kind EH, nothing really new in terms of action or comedy. I don't regret watching that, but it ain't getting a rewatch from me any time soon.
Michael Keaton was the real star of that movie.

I enjoyed Palm Springs as well, though I might be biased in that I literally have never NOT enjoyed something Andy Samberg is in.*
Just checked it out and it was a good film.
I enjoyed the idea of multiple people stuck in the same time loop with each other but getting in at different times. Great plot for a romantic comedy.
The mid credits scene didn't make much sense though. Sarah informs Nyles that she knows the explosives worked because the goat was no longer there in the loop with them. But when Roy shows up at the party after Nyles and Sarah have already left the loop there is a non-loop version of Nyles there. I would have thought that Nyles and Sarah would also be missing from Roy's loop.

The mid credits scene didn't make much sense though. Sarah informs Nyles that she knows the explosives worked because the goat was no longer there in the loop with them. But when Roy shows up at the party after Nyles and Sarah have already left the loop there is a non-loop version of Nyles there. I would have thought that Nyles and Sarah would also be missing from Roy's loop.
Yeah that threw me off too. I saw someone say a better way to handle that would be for Sarah to teach the goat a trick of some kind and then after she blows it up, he doesn't know the trick anymore. Still a small nitpick though.

Yeah that threw me off too. I saw someone say a better way to handle that would be for Sarah to teach the goat a trick of some kind and then after she blows it up, he doesn't know the trick anymore. Still a small nitpick though.
I really don't think Palm Springs wants me to overthink things... but damn...
Nyles was the first into the loop (assuming another person or animal didn't wander into the cave before he did) and then he was able to bring Roy and then Sarah in later. But that Roy and Sarah were from while Nyles was already in the loop for quite a while. So when they get out of the loop individually what version of events on the 9th have occurred? When Nyles and Sarah get out does (A) their last day in the loop become their current timeline or would it (B) be based on the day they had when they first got drawn into the loop? Assuming (A) that would suggest separate realities because if Roy gets out later he would have a different last day in the loop than Sarah and Nyles. Would this also mean that Roy just suddenly disappears from their new reality on the 10th? And (B) just is even more weird because if it's based on the first day the person entered the loop that would mean three completely separate realities would be created because Roy and Sarah both were brought in to the loop due to the fact that Nyles was already in the loop and influenced their actions. *Head explosion*

I really don't think Palm Springs wants me to overthink things... but damn...
Nyles was the first into the loop (assuming another person or animal didn't wander into the cave before he did) and then he was able to bring Roy and then Sarah in later. But that Roy and Sarah were from while Nyles was already in the loop for quite a while. So when they get out of the loop individually what version of events on the 9th have occurred? When Nyles and Sarah get out does (A) their last day in the loop become their current timeline or would it (B) be based on the day they had when they first got drawn into the loop? Assuming (A) that would suggest separate realities because if Roy gets out later he would have a different last day in the loop than Sarah and Nyles. Would this also mean that Roy just suddenly disappears from their new reality on the 10th? And (B) just is even more weird because if it's based on the first day the person entered the loop that would mean three completely separate realities would be created because Roy and Sarah both were brought in to the loop due to the fact that Nyles was already in the loop and influenced their actions. *Head explosion*
Now what really adds to this that you didn't mention

Doesn't it seem like that old woman is also stuck in the time loop as well?

Peninsula aka Train to Busan 2 aka Fast and Furious: Zombies

This is the sequel to the 2016 zombie movie set on a train. Overall it's pretty good. Before I went in, I was worried that by removing the setting from the uniqueness of a train, the sequel would become a generic zombie movie. And to be honest, it did feel a bit like a generic zombie movie at times, just in Korean. Of course, this isn't necessarily a bad thing; as far as zombie movies go it's a pretty well-crafted one, and plenty of familiar tropes show up, such as "humans are the real monsters", "someone stays behind to hold off the zombies so everyone else can escape", and "protagonists are rescued from a completely hopeless situation by a borderline deus ex machina".

Furthermore, this movie does feel like a sequel to Train to Busan, despite the lack of trains. Firstly, the movie is deeply respectful towards the zombie lore established by the first film. The zombies are passive in the dark, are attracted to sound, and are too dumb to go around the most basic of obstacles. We see that many characters have actually set up defenses and strategies to take advantage of these characteristics, such as using flares or bright lights to draw zombies to attack their enemies, or using a remote controlled toy car with bright lights and electronic sounds to distract zombies. Secondly, a lot of the themes of this movie are similar to the themes presented in the previous one. "Humans are the real monsters" appears prominently, as mentioned, but another big one is the relationship between parent and child. The first movie was about what a father would do to keep his child safe. Here it's about a mother and a grandfather protecting their children, as well as what the children would do to protect their elders.

If I had to pick a flaw, there are certain segments that dragged on a bit too much, to the point where I actually started to get bored. There are a couple of lengthy car-fu sequences, with one character being an amazing driver who would not be out of place in a Fast and Furious movie. Seriously, total Mary Sue character. These car chases could've been cut down a bit, and nothing would've been lost. Outside of the action scenes, there were also a few talky scenes that seemed to serve little purpose in the narrative, and could've been shortened or removed.

Still though, this was an overall entertaining movie. Nicely shot, nicely acted, interesting plot and universe, and generally satisfying.

Also, Lee Jung-hyun is hot.

Snatchers
A girl’s boyfriend comes back from Mexico and impregnates her with a pair of Mayan monsters.
Despite a decent beginning this one lost me quickly as the horrors began. It makes that mistake in some horror-comedies where the characters are all a little too buffoonish and often way too calm of what is happening (one girl is too ashamed to admit to her mom that she had sex, so she would rather deal with the killer-baby parasite on her own).
There's a few gold moments in there (such as a Mayan alien parasite enacting harsh payback on it's current host) but there just isn't enough good stuff here. I heard rumor this film was going to be broken up into segments and aired online at some point and I definitely wouldn't doubt that. The pacing is slow and there is a very unfortunate habit of using a multitude of reaction shots instead of actually seeing what the characters are reacting to.

Rock and Rule

MAN-that was a wild ride. Some scenes would be full on static, while OTHERS was shit straight outta Castlevania! Its also clear watching it that there's like a damn SCORE of cut scenes, because there was just some awkward transition at times.