[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Wonder Woman 1984

I feel like I wanted to like this movie more than I actually did. It's not bad, and I don't think it deserves all the hate it's getting in some parts of the Internet, but I can't deny that there are problems.

First the good. The cast generally all do well, with Wiig's Barbara Minerva being the standout for me. The story and message are pretty good. And the visuals and action work fairly well, apart from some minor quibbles.

However, there are quite a few problems. The movie dragged on in quite a few places. I think the film could've been 30 or even 60 minutes shorter. There were many implausible moments, the worst of which was how the conflict was ultimately resolved (as @Dave has already noted). Also, one of the climactic fights was too dark (as @ThatNickGuy has already noted).

But I think, for me, the biggest problem is that for a superhero movie, there isn't enough heroism. Diana's ready to give up everything, including the fate of the whole world, to have Steve back. That's not the Wonder Woman I know. Sure, she backpedals in the end, but the fact that she even went that far feels wrong.

And here I'm gonna have to touch upon the MCU a bit. MCU movies such as The First Avenger and Endgame also involved our heroes seeking their happiness outside of their heroics. Tony had his wife and daughter, and was terrified of losing or leaving them. Steve wanted to spend his life happily with Peggy. But when it came down to brass tacks, they didn't hesitate to do what's right, despite the personal cost.

This, to me, was the biggest difference between the first and second Wonder Woman films. The first one was about the heroine who would storm No Man's Land by herself to save innocents. The second one has Diana whining for two thirds of the runtime about how much she misses her boyfriend.

Ultimately, though, it's still an entertaining and interesting movie. I had a good time watching it, despite the flaws. But given that I consider the first Wonder Woman movie to be the DCEU's version of Captain America: The First Avenger, unfortunately this movie is less like The Winter Soldier and more like Iron Man 2 or 3.

Finally, Gal Gadot is so hot. Kristen Wiig is also hot. And all of the Amazons are hot. And y'know what, I don't know why, but Chris Pine with a fanny pack is also hot.

Aquaman

Good god was it ever awful. People liked this? How terrible was Justice League that this seemed like adequate filmmaking to people in comparison? I feel bad for everyone involved in this movie, but perhaps most of all for the people who spent money to see it. Jason Mamoa rules as always, but he is shackled to an actress with all the range of a loaf of bread for most of the movie, while the two villains seem to think they're performing Shakespeare in a high school play, and Willem Dafoe is the only person who actually recognizes the trainwreck happening around him.

Wonder Woman 1984

Diana's ready to give up everything, including the fate of the whole world, to have Steve back. That's not the Wonder Woman I know. Sure, she backpedals in the end, but the fact that she even went that far feels wrong.
I have not yet seen the movie (of course), but I assume this was intentional, since the Hollywood trope is that any woman's cause/quest/orientation/conscious brain can be overridden if you put the right fella in front of her.

--Patrick

I have not yet seen the movie (of course), but I assume this was intentional, since the Hollywood trope is that any woman's cause/quest/orientation/conscious brain can be overridden if you put the right fella in front of her.

--Patrick
And that's a stupid trope that should die. It should have died like Maxwell Lord died in the comics: by having Wonder Woman coolly and calmly kill it.

Soul

I feel oddly surprised that I didn't take to this film as so many others have. It's a cute and visually beautiful film but it just didn't move me like it has others. Probably a big part of that is I do not like movies with awkward situations and this one does have quite a few. The studio was smart to market this film the way they did.
Tricking you into thinking the film is not about body swapping but then it turns into a generic body swap film. There's some heart to this one and it does stand out as probably one of the better body swap films in that regard.
Something that is unique about this film, and that I thought about through the entire thing, is that it very much feels like one of Pixar's shorts but extended into a full film. Which isn't a bad thing either, just interesting.
It's also nice that the film keeps the ending ambiguous. Does Joe became a teacher or continue playing with Dorothea? Does it really matter since he's found a new perspective on life?
B+

Robin Hood from 2018

It's bad. Really bad. The historical inaccuracies are glaring and distracting.
For a moment I thought you were talking about another movie. The 2017 Arthur movie.

There are only three Robin Hood movies worth watching.
The Disney movie
The Mel Brooks movie
And the Costner movie

For a moment I thought you were talking about another movie. The 2017 Arthur movie.

There are only three FOUR Robin Hood movies worth watching.
The Disney movie
The Mel Brooks movie
And the Costner movie

I can think of at least one more:
There, that's better.

I'm in the same boat as @mikerc , I need to see the Olivia de Havilland version.

--Patrick

Something I just thought of regarding WW84.

Assuming this movie does, in fact, take place in the wider DCEU, then there's a very good chance that Bruce Wayne's already lost his parents. And his wish would likely be for his parents to come back to him. So, basically, this movie is suggesting that Bruce "Whydidyasaythatname" Wayne willingly allowed his parents to die again.

Shadow In the Cloud
This is indeed a bad movie. But it's one of those so bad it's good movies. A plot that makes no sense. The laws of physics have no business here. It's just an hour and twenty minutes of WTF after WTF moment.
Overlord was a much better WW2 film with a supernatural twist, but this one is still worthy of a watch. Just don't pay a lot for it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Guava Island

I liked this one. I wish I could say more about why, but this has been a bad mental health week and my headspace is keeping me from proper critical analysis. There's a lot that's cliche about this movie, and it's short, but somehow it worked for me. It's simple and beautiful and very heartfelt. If you've got Amazon Prime you should check it out.

WW84
Decided to check this one out before it leaves HBO.

It wasn't a complete waste of time but it did run too long and I wouldn't put it on a list of my favorite super hero films. There are things I enjoyed about it and there are things I didn't for sure.

Things I liked
* The acting from the main cast is great. Pedro Pascal was a little weird at first but I got used to him.
* The dynamic between WW and Steve is fantastic. Love them as a couple and the ending sacrifice was done very well.
* Great sets and some pretty awesome action sequences.
* Initially I liked the wish fulfillment idea but ...(see things I didn't like)

Things I didn't like:
* The tone of the film was very corny, especially at first. That mall sequence was so terrible I was about to switch the thing off. The tone got less corny as the film went on, but there were still moments that were very cringeworthy.
* Lasso physics were just too out-there. She grabs a fired bullet... a god damn bullet. Amongst the other things like lassoing planes and doing all sort of insanity. Also... somehow the lasso allows her to be on TV? The heck?
* Explanation of other WW things were half assed: Like the invisible jet and Wonder Woman flying. Does WW even fly in Justice League?
* The wish thing went off the rails, especially the ending. Firstly: All you have to do is renounce your wish to get back what you lost? How easy is that? It's like it doesn't even have any consequences. And yet the repercussions of your wish are still kinda there? Like when the wall in Egypt comes down, the damage is still there and everyone remembers it still. Max's wish was to become the stone, and yet when he renounced it he gets his health back (Im assuming that was what was taken since he started dying) but everyone was still able to wish off him and would have to renounce their own wishes. It's like if I wished for millions of dollars, spent all of it, then renounce my wish and lose the money but keep the shit I bought with it. And Secondly: How impossible would it be for the world to get back to normal after something like that? There is no way everyone renounced their wishes, and even if they did there is still all the chaos happening. This movie takes place in the past and yet it's events are never brought up in any other DCU movie. The solution to this was simple: When Max Lord renounces his wish everything resets. If he didn't wish to be the stone he couldn't have made wishes for everyone else. Time would go back. Perhaps the only two who would retain memory of what happened were Max and Diana. Clears up every loose end. Bit of a cop out... but I'd prefer it over the ending we got.

and also some plot hole gripes:
*Apparently the one-wish rule has exceptions when the plot says it does. "You've already made a wish? DAMN! I need someone new!" vs "Hey Barbara. You already wished, but would you like a freebie?"
* Diana really has absolutely NO reservations about Steve taking over some random guy's body forever and ever?

Rampage
Needed something playing in the background while I worked on stuff. It has all the depth and intelligence one would expect of a movie based on one paragraph of exposition taken from the "Insert 1 Coin" screen. That said, it knew it was dumb entertainment and for that purpose it was very watchable.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things
Interesting,, but in the end I don't feel like it earned it's strangeness. Mulholland Drive via Infinite Jest vibes.

Earwig and the Witch

I dunno, I liked it enough! Sure it wasn't as fantastical as some of Ghibli's other films, but the story from what I can tell was more of a bottle episode. Just saying I WOULD watch this again, felt it was a fine film.

Soul

Quite liked it. The story didn't go where I thought it would (I thought it would be revealed that teaching is Joe's spark), but overall it was still an interesting, satisfying, and well-made movie.

Earwig and the Witch

I dunno, I liked it enough! Sure it wasn't as fantastical as some of Ghibli's other films, but the story from what I can tell was more of a bottle episode. Just saying I WOULD watch this again, felt it was a fine film.
This is the entire problem with the movie. Because it's based on a short picture book for kids, there isn't a lot of stuff to develop from... and the stuff they do develop is never resolved (what's with the Witch's?) and never will be resolved because the author died some years back. So they stretch a lot of nothing to get the full time of the movie and it just doesn't work. It feels like they wanted to do a series of these or something but there just isn't anything to work with.

This could have been a cute 10 episode anime or an interesting 2 1/2 hour film if they had just expanded on everything and made a product "inspired" by the works of Diana Wynee Jones (who also wrote Howl's Moving Castle) like they did with The Secret World of Arrietty or Howl's Moving Castle (which are all different than the books that inspired them). Instead this is a 90 minute mess that is certainly fun and endearing, but it just doesn't go anywhere... especially near the end.

Attack of the Clones
Been a while since I've seen this one. Forgot how bad the writing is. Forgot how bad Anakin is written/portrayed.
Every explosion in the film was basically "pasted" in.
Obi Wan is told that the senate is under the control of a Sith Lord. Doesn't suspect Palpatine for even a second.
The Clone Army was created using Jango Fett. Jango Fett is under the employ of Count Dukku who is in charge of the opposing army. Not a single Jedi questions that coincidence.
Anakin complains a lot and kills baby tusken raiders = Padme thinking it's hawt.
Jar-Jar convinces a room full of senators to give Palpatine emergency powers by stumbling through a mispronounced speech. He even gets a standing ovation. (Is he Rep. Marjory Taylor Greene?)
There are people who love this film and I'm happy for them. But I do still feel the sequel trilogy is far better than any of the prequels.
I think after 20+ years people just stopped being as openly mad about these films as they once were. In another 20 years the sequel films will be just as appreciated.

I also would have loved to see a post credit scene where the Lars family are like "Did that Anakin guy just fucking take our protocol droid?"

Last edited:
Attack of the Clones
Been a while since I've seen this one. Forgot how bad the writing is. Forgot how bad Anakin is written/portrayed.
Every explosion in the film was basically "pasted" in.
Obi Wan is told that the senate is under the control of a Sith Lord. Doesn't suspect Palpatine for even a second.
The Clone Army was created using Jango Fett. Jango Fett is under the employ of Count Dukku who is in charge of the opposing army. Not a single Jedi questions that coincidence.
Anakin complains a lot and kills baby tusken raiders = Padme thinking it's hawt.
Jar-Jar convinces a room full of senators to give Palpatine emergency powers by stumbling through a mispronounced speech. He even gets a standing ovation. (Is he Rep. Marjory Taylor Greene?)
There are people who love this film and I'm happy for them. But I do still feel the sequel trilogy is far better than any of the prequels.
I think after 20+ years people just stopped being as openly mad about these films as they once were. In another 20 years the sequel films will be just as appreciated.

I also would have loved to see a post credit scene where the Lars family are like "Did that Anakin guy just fucking take our protocol droid?"
The fans who were adults in the '90s hated the prequels. The ones who were kids thought they were cool - maybe except for the romance bit.
The same will hold true for the sequels: different generations have different opinions, and those for whom they're part of the canon as they're introduced to it, won't find as many problems.

Mind you that age isn't the perfect indicator, it's more about the how and when you're introduced to SW I guess.

That said, the prequels had a whole bunch of problems, and on a one-by-one comparison I think the sequels win out, but at least the prequels managed to tell one more or less coherent story over the course of three movies. I-III tells the story of Anakin becoming Darth Vader. IV-VI tell the story of Luke coming of age, accepting his role, and saving Anakin. VII-IX tell the story of Rey...err.....emm.....I dunno really. I can recap each movie, but as a three-parter, they don't work. TFA and TLJ together, sure. TFA and TROS you can make work. TLJ and TROS are both....fine movies? I guess? If you want to...but they don't work together as parts of a whole, at all. Both could've more or less worked as a Star Wars side movie, but not as part of the Main Trilogy.

The fans who were adults in the '90s hated the prequels. The ones who were kids thought they were cool - maybe except for the romance bit.
The same will hold true for the sequels: different generations have different opinions, and those for whom they're part of the canon as they're introduced to it, won't find as many problems.

Mind you that age isn't the perfect indicator, it's more about the how and when you're introduced to SW I guess.

That said, the prequels had a whole bunch of problems, and on a one-by-one comparison I think the sequels win out, but at least the prequels managed to tell one more or less coherent story over the course of three movies. I-III tells the story of Anakin becoming Darth Vader. IV-VI tell the story of Luke coming of age, accepting his role, and saving Anakin. VII-IX tell the story of Rey...err.....emm.....I dunno really. I can recap each movie, but as a three-parter, they don't work. TFA and TLJ together, sure. TFA and TROS you can make work. TLJ and TROS are both....fine movies? I guess? If you want to...but they don't work together as parts of a whole, at all. Both could've more or less worked as a Star Wars side movie, but not as part of the Main Trilogy.
I also think part of the modern fondness for the prequels in younger generations is that they've had the Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows to build the world both during and after those movies in a way that makes it easier to ignore the worst bits of the movie's storytelling. I've certainly met young people for whom those shows are THEIR Star Wars in the way the original trilogy was for their parents and the prequels were for their siblings. It certainly helps that the original trilogy and prequels were only shown on a single channel in the US (Spike TV) for close to a decade, a channel many cable packages didn't have and one that wasn't exactly... popular. Many kids wouldn't have SEEN those movies unless their parents had a copy.

I saw Star Wars in the summer of 1977 in a drive in theater. I didn’t see it in a indoor theater until 1999 with the release of the special editions.