[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I mean once the "experimenting on humans for some reason" was out, what else are they going to use as to why the Celestials put Eternals on a planet?
Something to consider, too, is with the original source material - Kirby's run - it was cancelled before we learned what his original plan was for the Celestials. The comic relied on the "God moves in mysterious ways" for the 20-some issues. I believe the story was technically completed in a Thor comic, but I don't think Kirby's original intentions were ever revealed.[/QUOTE]

Dave

Staff member
Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Best movie I've seen in a year. It was really, REALLY well made, casted, acted, written. Just everything was done right. Yeah, there were some fan service moments that looked really shoe-horned in, but they were forgivable.

Not saying anything else other than: If you plan on seeing this do it soon before you hear any spoilers. Go into it clean and you'll love it.

Best movie I've seen in a year. It was really, REALLY well made, casted, acted, written. Just everything was done right. Yeah, there were some fan service moments that looked really shoe-horned in, but they were forgivable.

Not saying anything else other than: If you plan on seeing this do it soon before you hear any spoilers. Go into it clean and you'll love it.
I was never a big ghostbusters fan but that first one really is a well made film. I've got time to check this out later

It was pretty much... perfect. I enjoyed every moment.

Bad Words
Watched again because I saw it was on HBO Max. I love this movie and think it’s criminally underrated. Jason Bateman stars in his own directorial debut as 40 year old Guy Trilby, who enters the national spelling bee under a loophole. Highly recommended if you’re in the mood for a darker comedy. Again, currently streaming on HBO Max

Dave

Staff member
Bad Words
Watched again because I saw it was on HBO Max. I love this movie and think it’s criminally underrated. Jason Bateman stars in his own directorial debut as 40 year old Guy Trilby, who enters the national spelling bee under a loophole. Highly recommended if you’re in the mood for a darker comedy. Again, currently streaming on HBO Max
Yeah that was a good movie. I liked it quite a bit as well.

I am not a fan of or adherent to the Ghostbusters franchise. I actively dislike the original, have never seen the second one (or if I have, I've completely forgotten), and saw the female-led one and it was fine.

This movie, however, is good. The pacing is really well done, the props department outdid themselves. There are probably a ton of call-backs and references that I missed and it totally did not matter. And for being a film basically led by child/young actors, none of them annoyed me, which is a minor miracle in itself. It's a fun, actiony-comedy-popcorn-eating-flick.

I went in with middling-to-low expectations, and was more than pleasantly surprised.

I have a niece (by marriage) with Down's syndrome. McKenna Grace met her in, I think, gymnastics or cheer and she continues to be a supportive friend, taking her to YouTuber concerts and stuff. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm a fan by default because she is in it.

Today I watched Perfume - The Story of a Murderer. A pretty good adaptation of one of my favorite novels. Get the audio book, it's use of language is superb. It's about this orphan in 18th century paris who gets obsessed with scent and making a human scent for himself bc he has no natural scent of his own, and he ends up killing some people along the way. I was surprised that alan rickman and dustin hoffman had important roles in it. It looked great, was well acted, and the novel it was based on was the best thing I've read since the start of the covid era. Would like to watch it again in french

Ghostbusters Afterlife spoiler

Fuck ghost Egon. I feel like I watched a different movie than the rest of you and I wanted to like it since my cousin shot every speeding car scene in the movie (he and a friend run a company in Calgary where they operate a vehicle with a special huge ass mount for a camera).

1637556212289.png

I've never felt more underwhelmed at something attempting to assault my nostalgia center at every turn. I hated this unfunny terrible pandering shit. 20 minutes of reasonable movie and the rest is fucking awful trash. Hand it to Mckenna Grace for being alright, but fuck the rest of this movie. I'm still coming down from my disappointment.

The whole thing screams cynical bullshit to me and a massive, massive overcorrection from the 2016 movie.

This is probably a me problem, but I fucking hate pandering fanservice. It made me hate Force Awakens and ESPECIALLY Rogue One. When movies start throwing shit at me screaming REMEMBER THIS! I get angry and turned off the whole thing.

Last edited:
Ghostbusters Afterlife
I've seen this one twice and honestly I think it was even better the second time. It does have a few callbacks to the original film that are a little awkward such as the "who you gonna call?" line. But others, to me at least, fit in because of the emotional weight to them such as the half eaten Crunch bar. The pacing, the music, the tone, and the direction wonderfully emulate the original to a point where some scenes in the new are clearly paying homage to scenes of the original without even being too obvious about it. What I did miss in this film was the charm of Peter Venkman for the first 20 minutes. 1984's Ghostbusters really stands the test of time because of how wonderfully Bill Murray plays off of Akroyd and Ramis. While Carrie Coon and McKenna Grace provide some good moments I think it isn't until Paul Rudd comes in that the film really gets that charm that it needed. Overall I give the film a B.

Vivo
This one is a very clunky movie that lacks any decent characters outside of the main character Vivo itself. Every other character that shows up is bland to the point of being boring. I initially thought that the little girl Gabi was going to be some sort of unredeemable Elmyra character, with her pet cages with tombstones in them. She's supposed to be the misunderstood weird kid with a vibrant personality but she just comes off as a bratty girl who gives her mother far more shit than she ever deserves, and is quiet possibly an animal abuser. I mean that sounds basically like Cruella but that movie was damn near perfect while this one is.... meh at best. The music is catchy at times but other times it's just poorly written noise. The animation also isn't all that impressive for a 2020 cartoon and it's clear that Sony put very little money into this one. While some of the backgrounds such as Cuba or Miami are beautiful the character design is cheap and flat. With what they can do with computer graphics now I wanted to clearly be able to see the fur on Vivo at least once, but throughout the entire movie he looks like a moving piece of plastic. Great idea, but very poor implementation.
C-

Last edited:
Last night I rewatched Captain Marvel because I wanted to see what the IMAX on Disney+ consists of. The IMAX thing was fine (basically, the letterboxing goes away during action scenes so you can see more), but I was really struck again by how much I liked it. It looked good. It had just enough light bits and laughs (less than a lot of the other Marvel movies). Brie Larson was great in it, as was everyone else. It really is one of my favorites of the Marvel movies.

Last night I rewatched Captain Marvel because I wanted to see what the IMAX on Disney+ consists of. The IMAX thing was fine (basically, the letterboxing goes away during action scenes so you can see more), but I was really struck again by how much I liked it. It looked good. It had just enough light bits and laughs (less than a lot of the other Marvel movies). Brie Larson was great in it, as was everyone else. It really is one of my favorites of the Marvel movies.
I had a good time with it too. Laughed a lot and not bc I thought it was terrible. Pretty good for a cape film

Ghostbusters Afterlife spoiler

Fuck ghost Egon. I feel like I watched a different movie than the rest of you and I wanted to like it since my cousin shot every speeding car scene in the movie (he and a friend run a company in Calgary where they operate a vehicle with a special huge ass mount for a camera).

View attachment 39509

I've never felt more underwhelmed at something attempting to assault my nostalgia center at every turn. I hated this unfunny terrible pandering shit. 20 minutes of reasonable movie and the rest is fucking awful trash. Hand it to Mckenna Grace for being alright, but fuck the rest of this movie. I'm still coming down from my disappointment.

The whole thing screams cynical bullshit to me and a massive, massive overcorrection from the 2016 movie.

This is probably a me problem, but I fucking hate pandering fanservice. It made me hate Force Awakens and ESPECIALLY Rogue One. When movies start throwing shit at me screaming REMEMBER THIS! I get angry and turned off the whole thing.
No fanservice ever really got through to me until the end of rogue one. I was genuinely thrilled by it and wouldn't mind a remake of star wars done in that style

Last edited:
I grabbed the TWO dune knockoffs we got this year, planet dune and dune world. It's getting late so I can't watch them tonight but I checked out the opening of dune world and it is AMAZING. It looks and sounds just like an old command and conquer cutscene, which was also utilized in dune 2000

Eh, there's a NSFW section on this forum for a reason.
Did not know that. Thx

Edit: I srsly want to post about that buck breaking documentary. It is a laugh riot but some people actually believe a lot of the outlandish claims in this

There are some kernels of truth in this and it comes close to understanding systemic oppression but it all comes undone by blaming it all on the inherent homosexuality of white christianity

Last edited:
Just got back from seeing Ghostbusters Afterlife.

I don't even really have a strong, nostalgic connection to the old movies. I liked them, but I didn't obsess over them.

This? I loved it. I cried a little at the end.

It does spend most of its time navel gazing at the first movie. In some ways, it's kind of a retread of the first one. But it also has great deal of sentimentality behind it. It's a giant love letter from a son to a father.

I was all set to hate something they did in the third act (as @Frank understandably did), but it worked for me largely BECAUSE the movie is a giant love letter from a son to a father. In any other hands, it would've felt like cheap nostalgic sentiment.

It's also a lot funnier than people say. Not as funny as the originals, but still funny. There are tons of little jokes, some smarter than I expected (there's a geometry pun that gave me a loud laugh).

Yeah, it panders a lot and not all the callbacks work (like "who ya gonna call?"), but it also gives us a good new Ghostbusters crew. Especially in McKenna Grace.

While I wouldn't necessarily demand one, I'd be down for a sequel to this. Especially with what they teased in the post-credits stuff.

...shit, you're right. I don't know why I thought he was.
But he is Ivan Reitman's son. Ivan directed the first two Ghostbusters. So yes it still very much is honoring his father's work.

And while Ramis could never have given his permission for his likeness to be used in the film after his death it is clear that his family did. Like them I would like to think that Harold would be honored to know that he would be added to this film in the manner that he was.