[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

There were some gaping plot holes, however. Like it was sure nice of the second helicopter to go away for a little while so that Neo and Trinity could bask in the sunlight for a bit before it resumed its attack.

I live in the SF Bay Area and I remember when filming was going on for both films.

Little Caesar (1931)

It’s a gangster movie. In fact, it set the tropes for gangster movies over the next several decades. Sneering crooks, Tommy guns, and protagonists falling after becoming too proud. “NYEEEHHH! None of you boys turn yella. Nobody squeal. Else you’ll feel my cannon in your back, SEE?”

Super late to finally see this.

Snyder cut JL.

Really liked it. I hated the whedon version. I still have major issues with both, but it was quite an improvement. It took me 3 days to get through it though.

I thought the epilogue was the most surprising/exciting part. Maybe because it was so unexpected.

I liked 2 and 3 also, and the animatrix, and even the online video game. In fact anyone familiar with the game storyline (which Lana Wachowski has said is canon) would be a lot less surprised about what happens with Trinity in resurrections.

But upon watching the fourth movie a few more times, I think I've gone from liking it to loving it, for one simple reason: it's the ultimate shitpost.

Lana Wachowski didn't want to make this movie. In being forced to, she managed to make a very sincere and heartfelt love story, a metaphor for being your true self, pissed off all the manchildren that had co-opted matrix symbology for a movement that is openly hostile to people like her, and publicly gave the middle finger to WB, in a movie they banked, and is allegedly losing them a hundred million dollars. All while putting an end cap on the original mythology, touching the people it was meant to, and ensuring no one tries to remake the franchise again for at least another 20 years.

That's pretty damn impressive to me
This is 100% how I saw it. Just going scorched Earth with the whole thing, telling an honestly sappy love story and salting every inch of ground behind her. Incredible.

Scream (2022) of all the horror movies that are being “rebooted” and given the name of the original instead of calling it like “Scream 5” - this one makes the most sense. It’s a Scream movie in it’s own right, but mostly it’s a movie about Scream. Big fans will simultaneously figure out what’s happening pretty early, while also loving every second of it.

what is with actress Mikey Madison and being set on fire?? First Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and now here. What a strange thing to be typecast as :rofl:

Scream (2022) of all the horror movies that are being “rebooted” and given the name of the original instead of calling it like “Scream 5” - this one makes the most sense. It’s a Scream movie in it’s own right, but mostly it’s a movie about Scream. Big fans will simultaneously figure out what’s happening pretty early, while also loving every second of it.

what is with actress Mikey Madison and being set on fire?? First Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and now here. What a strange thing to be typecast as :rofl:
I am not opening that spoiler box. But I am super excited to see this. I will be seeing this Monday night.
Horror movies nowadays are never as fun as the Scream movies were. Now we have these intense films like Hereditary and Witch that take themselves so seriously and there is very little "fun" to be had. I miss films like Slither, Tremors or even Jason X where the laughs are just as awesome as the kills. I saw the original Scream when it was in theaters and even got lucky because the ticket attendant didn't card the then 16 year old me from entering an R rated movie. I remember reading the leaked Scream 2 script on a high school library computer (I believe Jerry O'Connell was the original killer before they changed it due to the leak). Films like I Know What You Did Last Summer and Urban Legend came out riding the Scream train and I had a good time with those as well.
What 2022 really needs is more fun/campy slasher and monster films.

Last edited:
I am not opening that spoiler box. But I am super excited to see this. I will be seeing this Monday night.
Horror movies nowadays are never as fun as the Scream movies were. Now we have these intense films like Hereditary and Witch that take themselves so seriously and there is very little "fun" to be had. I miss films like Slither, Tremors or even Jason X where the laughs are just as awesome as the kills. I saw the original Scream when it was in theaters and even got lucky because the ticket attendant didn't card the then 16 year old me from entering an R rated movie. I remember reading the leaked Scream 2 script on a high school library computer (I believe Jerry O'Connell was the original killer before they changed it due to the leak). Films like I Know What You Did Last Summer and Urban Legend came out riding the Scream train and I had a good time with those as well.
What 2022 really needs is more fun/campy slasher and monster films.
Ok, after reading all of that, I’m positive you’re gonna love it. How do you feel about The Babadook?

Last edited:
Eternals

I watched Eternals.

I watched... the first hour of Eternals.

I had to tap out, holy shit.
Ok, so... I didn't want to actually give a full review, because I didn't finish the movie and I don't think that's fair, but fuck it.

Starting off with ten new characters in color coded power ranger suits is a big ask. I don't know any of these characters, in an hour I learned only one of their names, and have been given absolutely no reason to care about any of them. They don't have any personality. Rob Stark is haughty, that's his character. Angelina Jolie is crazy, a little on the nose. Selma Hayek is not wanting to appear in this film. I love Kumail Nanjiani but his character is literally just Indian.

I'll spoiler the rest, I guess. Who fucking cares.

The premise of this movie is weirdly fascist. So, a Celestial in 5000 BC decides to create a bunch of Eternals to go to earth and kill a bunch of pointless tentacle monsters because reasons, and I guess he makes them look human so they'll fit in? Except it's 5000 BC and they all look like a power ranger perfectly ethnically diverse cast of very modern looking people. They have modern accents, they have modern hair, and at no point do they ever change in appearance. Icarus (but not spelled that way because ha clever) arrives in mesopotamia speaking goddamn modern day English with a modern day scottish accent. One of these perfectly crafted eternals is deaf, and shows up signing in ASL to all of the other eternals, again in 5000 BC mesopotamia. Why do these people all look like modern day humans speaking modern day languages? Well, through a series of flashbacks we discover it's because they've guided humanity forever. Every human accomplishment has been created by the eternals and handed over when decided they were ready. There's a scene in fucking Babylon where one of them says they should give the people a steam engine and the rest tell him no, it's too early. One of them writes fucking Beowulf. And then they all stand around looking sad saying they suddenly can't interfere whenever wars break out, because what kind of bullshit is this.

So why does this strike me as fascist? It's implying that these cultures that eventually form in the modern day are 'perfect' cultures because they were handed down on high, it completely removes any human agency or even human development. It reminds me of nazis calling theirs a perfect culture, or white supremacists viewing western culture as superior to all others. It's fucking weird, is what I'm saying.

Maybe this changes in the next hour and a half, but I'm not watching it. I don't care about any of these people whose names I don't know and I don't care about these dumb tentacle monsters they have to kill because they're just monsters and there are no stakes.

Ok, after reading all of that, I’m positive you’re gonna love it. How do you feel about The Babadook?
Haven't seen it fully. Seems interesting but it still feels like it takes itself very seriously with the topic of child abuse. I need some lighthearted humor or dark humor to keep me from being depressed over who lives and who dies. Plus serious horror films tend to usually end on downers or in disturbing ways and I walk away being like "well that was fucked up.". Not that I don't think that's a valid form of entertainment. The Mist has one of the most brutal endings I have ever seen but it's probably one of the best endings at the same time. I just don't plan on ever watching that film again, whereas something like Tremors I pop on whenever someone in my group is like "I've never seen that".

If it had a massive impact on overall Marvel lore and introduced some new concepts or conceits into the universe that explained/drove forward the overall story arch, perhaps. As it was, I think there's too much overlap with the much more popular X-men for this movie to work as a character study. Ikarus shoots beams out of his eyes (+ other things). Kirkland-brand Cyclops! Phaestos creates machines! Kirkland-brand Forge. Sersi transforms matter? Kirkland-brand Phoenix. Druig controls people? Kirkland-brand Professor X. It's almost a shame that they may cheapen the X-men's launch as a result.

Scream
Finally got to seeing this one and my thoughts are... meh?
There's some good stuff here but there's some not so good stuff too. I'll go into some spoilery issues with the film below but think I can say without spoiling are that I felt that the plot and characters do not live up to past entries. The plot reason needs to wait for spoiler tags, but the characters here are just so... unremarkable. Scream (1996) stood out because you liked the cast and it was fun rooting for everyone, even the killers. Scream 2022 has a bunch of characters that I'm not going to remember a few months from now. There are a few standouts, but the majority of the cast is boring and wooden. Melissa Barrera is a really poor choice for the lead in this film because every moment with her was just dull. She does not have the fire of Neve Campbell, or honestly any fire at all really. Every time she does what should have been a touching moment I was never finding myself invested.
The plot was... well it was messy and full of kills that seemed to suffer from a lack of creativity and overall thinking. Basically just very lazy writing in general on this one. Let's break it down:
The villains' (it only ever works with two killers after all) plot in all this is to refresh the "Stab" franchise by giving it more true-life events to base itself off of after the 8th movie in the franchise went off the rails. To be fair this is a great motive that works with the "toxic fandom" issues of today and explores the trends of "Re-quels" where a film franchise is restarted but cherry pick which movies that came before it to count towards the narrative. Like the recent Halloween movies (which get a nod in the film). This idea works great for a Scream movie which have all been about commenting on the most recent horror tropes and films at the time of being made. The first Scream was a meta film about slashers. Scream 2 was about sequels in those films trying to out do and up the body count of the original. Scream 3 was about Hollywood cashing in on overused franchises. And Scream 4 was about reboots. So the concept would have worked... IF they saved the motive to the end. The other films' killers always at least had some sort of secondary motive that was beyond just imitating a horror movie. Even Scream 4's Jill just wants to do it for the fame of being the final girl that her cousin Sydney got. But in this film the killers really are just toxic fans who hate Stab 8 so much they want to revitalize it with this murder spree, which would be fine if they don't address toxic fandom against Stab 8 and the likelihood that the killer is making a "re-quel" earlier in the film.
Then there are the plot holes that, even for Scream standards are pretty ridiculous and lazy.
1) Wes being able to be killed made no sense to me. I appreciated that they killed his mother Sheriff Hicks how they did. That made perfect sense, however... Wes takes a full shower, gets out, changes his clothing, goes downstairs, sets the table, and pauses in front of the front door for what seems like a long time. So the big question here is: Where the hell are the police that his mom had radioed to get to his house? Woodsborrow is a tiny town and it would not take long for at least one officer to show up. Plus his mom's corpse is sitting right on the front sidewalk and not a single person on that street happens to notice it that entire time?
2) The killers' plot revolved around bringing Sam back to her hometown, using her sister Tara as an excuse. The killer tore Tara up in that opening scene. She should be absolutely dead. And even if it was a miracle that kept her alive there is no way the Killer could have anticipated that.
3) They down the killer with some shots to the chest and they DON'T take her mask off? Dewey was right there. He's been through this 4 times already. That should have been the first thing he did.
4) Amber was a terrible twist villain because her being a "toxic fan" does not make sense if you think about it. She seems the absolutely least interested in scary movies out of all of them and she grew up with the nephew and niece of Randy Meeks who turned out to be total moviephiles themselves who have a damn alter to their uncle. If Amber really was as obsessed with the Stab movies then there is no way she would have kept that secret from them. It's not like she decided at 5 years old that "I think I'll be a psycho killer when I'm 17 and play the long game".
5) And Richie was a terrible twist villain because he was too awesome as the "Um. We're leaving. I would rather not die" guy with some common sense. Plus the movie tricks you by showing you him watching the Stab films like he's never seem them before, but he's by himself so who is he putting that performance on for besides just the audience? He somehow knows that Sam will risk going to Amber's house for the second inhaler. Plus he somehow manages to find and start dating his primary target? Again it's lazy writing.
I appreciate what they attempted. And it's not all bad. I give the movie mad props for killing off Dewey so early in the film and his death was tragic and awesome. I really did like Jack Quaid's performance as Richie before he is revealed to be a killer. Having the finale take place in Stu's house was great and I totally did not realize the house was the same until they openly reveal it. It was nice to see Sydney and Gail decide to end this thing once and for all with the determination that made them so awesome in all the films before it. There were also some decent and brutal kills.

The film is a 3 out of 5 for me.

Last edited:
Another fucking movie that Genndy Tartakovsky had to waste his talents on.
Genndy only did a bit of writing and some voice work on this. He's not the director of this one.

I think he's currently involved with pre-production for his Unicorn Warriors property and Sony Animation's Black Knight.

Jojo Rabbit

This movie is...wow. Hard to describe, hard to define, but a total masterpiece. Everyone should watch this movie.

Instantly one of my most favorite movies of all time.
I couldn't have worded it better!
"burn down the house and blame Winston Churchill" has become a regular quote of mine.
Everything about that movie is brilliant, and then there's Sam Rockwell to top it up. His last scene... just wow, such an emotional moment.

A futile and Stupid Gesture

Not bad, went to the history of Lampoon, and showed Kenney's history in a way that made him sympathetic, but also didn't deify him.

I saw the most recent Scream. It's not bad at all. I always enjoyed that franchise's blend of self-awareness and a likeable bunch of protagonists. Slasher films don't need to be two-hour jump scares. In fact, the Scream movies' best scenes are where they hang out and bicker like a group of normal teenagers. There's a scene where they're all wondering who the murderer might be so they list off all the tropes and cliches in cinema, including the Mary Sue.

Now I watched Shang-Chi.

It's okay. It's a paint-by-numbers application of the Marvel formula to a new character to the point where I was thinking "oh okay, so the next scene will be exactly..." a handful of times through the movie and was never surprised, but at least I was never actively willing it to fuck off out of existence like I was with most of The Eternals. Solidly middle of the pack as far as the MCU goes and I doubt I'll ever watch it or really think about it again.

Watching Werewolves Within, this movie is awesome, it gets all the thumbs up and snaps up in a circle! Can a movie be a cult classic in less than a year?

Last edited:
Jackass Forever
At this point you should know what you are walking into when you see a Jackass film. If you're not expecting a man's penis dressed like Godzilla, rampaging through a model city, then why on earth did you buy a ticket?
I think most people who do see these films on purpose expect to have a fantastic time. In fact if the internet in the theater was working properly I would have easily posted my review for this film here while I waited for it to start.
These guys just spend the next hour and a half beating up themselves and each other doing insane and dumb stunts that you'd expect from idiots. And that's not the primary reason why the films are fun. It's the expressions on everyone else watching the stunts and how much fun this crew is happening while they are knocking out their own teeth or concussing themselves. They are the grandfathers of the Reaction Video. Their laughs and joy is infectious and it carries into a crowded theater awesomely.
The movie gets an A simply on merit.

Last edited:
I have literally never enjoyed a single Jackass episode or movie.
"People unintentionally getting hurt because of a dumb move", sure. "People getting hurt as karma for trying to be a jackass to others"? Sure, the more the merrier. "People deliberately hurting themselves in the most stupid ways possible"? Just not my idea of a good time.
I mean, obviously I'm not going to be watching this movie, and to each their own, happy you enjoyed it.
It's just a type of...humor? I guess? that just does not click with me at all.