[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Dave

Staff member
So, for the sequel thread, I'll talk about the last TWO movies I saw! But you don't need to.

A Civil Action

This was a pretty mediocre to bad legal thriller that only really served to make me appreciate good versions of the same story like Erin Brockovich or Flash of Genius. It did show a pretty awesome stable of "that guys" in every role except Travolta's lead. It did get points for a hilariously inappropriate credits song. After the whole story of poisoned water/river runoff killing children and ruining lives, the credits go with "Take me to the river". :rofl:

(500) Days of Summer

This was a really solid indie-type romantic comedy. It did a lot of interesting thing and a lot of really great things with the relationship archetypes and conventions. It falls short of being really great because a lot of the periphery characters really didn't work. This isn't a major problem though, since the movie's dominated by JGL and Zooey, who are both dazzling. There are a couple of masterful/perfect sequences, but balancing those out are some that don't really work. I still think it's more good than bad, and I'm really glad I saw it!

R

rvdleun

"The curious case of Benjamin Button"

Absolutely impressed with how they managed to create a compelling movie with such a silly concept. Bravo, I type. Bravo. Very good.

List != talk about :eek:rly:

-- Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:40 am --

rvdleun said:

Absolutely impressed with how they managed to create a compelling movie with such a silly concept. Bravo, I type. Bravo. Very good.
I was impressed when they did it first with Forrest Gump

W

Wyrminarrd

Charlie Dont Surf said:

Ok, since you insist :)

"Public Enemies" was a good film, the acting was great and the script felt like it was trying to stay true to the known facts of the case though I think they took some big liberties with the unknown facts.

R

rvdleun

Charlie Dont Surf said:

rvdleun said:

And seeing as how I haven't seen that one yet, I was impressed with how they did it in this one. :)

rvdleun said:
Charlie Dont Surf said:

rvdleun said:

And seeing as how I haven't seen that one yet, I was impressed with how they did it in this one. :)
It's the same screenwriter, he made Benjamin Button by using Find & Replace on his oscar-winning movie 15 years ago

B

Biardo

Charlie Dont Surf said:
rvdleun said:
[quote="Charlie Dont Surf":27jiuvqr]List != talk about :eek:rly:

rvdleun said:

It's the same screenwriter, he made Benjamin Button by using Find & Replace on his oscar-winning movie 15 years ago[/quote:27jiuvqr]

you're beeing to harsh he added some bits about hurricane katrina that were a nice addition to this one
[schild:27jiuvqr]not really[/schild:27jiuvqr]

G.I. Joe
This movie was hefty sack of retarded awesome. God it was dumb, but it was the right kind of dumb. It was like watching a big screen multi-part episode of the cartoon only in live action with people actually not missing with their future guns. I've never liked any Stephen Sommers films at all really so it may be the soft spot that G.I. Joe has in my heart that causes me to enjoy it.
Oh, and if the way Cobra handled the U.S. Military in the movie was any indication, Cobra could have handled the Decepticons from the Transformers movies without breaking a sweat. What are villains in movies supposed to be? Oh yeah, an actual threat.

Harry Potter...4 is it? The Goblet of Fire
This was the only Potter movie I hadn't seen and it was, well, a Harry Potter movie. They went to school, Harry did some shit. Ralph Fiennes looked ridiculous without a nose. I missed John Cleese's phoned in ghost role.

L

Lally

:rofl: @ Charlie & Biardo

In regards to the concept: That F. Scott. He's so silly.

My last movie seen: You Don't Mess With The Zohan. It was ridiculously over the top, and most of its "comedy" moments fall flat, but I couldn't hate it enough to turn it off. I think Adam Sandler is one of my weaknesses, he just seems like a likeable enough guy to me that I can watch him no matter what. I'm glad I didn't turn it off, because [blush] someone I am a huge fangirl for had a pretty big cameo in it, and somehow I didn't know about it beforehand so halfway through the movie I was like "gasp! no way!" So that made it worth the watch for me.

Bottom line: if you LOVE Adam Sandler... or Israel/Arab stereotypes, you could probably sit through it. If you don't love him or don't even like him, don't bother.

The only time I like Adam Sandler is when he's NOT being Adam Sandler (Spanglish, Punch Drunk Love...Wedding Singer to a lesser extent).

As for Benjamin Button, I thought it was...okay. Never before, though, have I ever seen a blatant display of Oscar bait. It dragged in parts and I was sick of hearing every single character say "My goodness, Benjamin, I swear you're getting younger!" I was like, "OKAY! YES! I GET IT! HE DE-AGES!"

I usually hate calling a movie Oscar-bait, since it often gets unfairly applied to great movies that aren't blockbusters. But I think it is an example of a movie being a lot more hype and push for the Oscars than actually being great. I'm glad it got mostly shut out of the major awards.

Lally said:
Bottom line: if you LOVE Adam Sandler... or Israel/Arab stereotypes, you could probably sit through it. If you don't love him or don't even like him, don't bother.
I can't stand Adam Sandler, most of his movies just annoy the living hell out of me. That's considering I'm a fan of his early comedy and SNL days. However, I enjoyed Zohan for a multitude of reasons. The cast was great, the cameos were hilarious, the script was ridiculously bad/good, the writing was dumb fun comedy and all in all it was a funny story to be told.

On another note
I have no idea what people's problem is with Benjamin Button. "oh my god, it's oscar bait" "Oh it's exactly like Forrest Gump" do any of you people actually watch a movie FOR just being a movie? Seriously.

Honestly, Sheg, I DID like it, but just didn't think it was worth the hype. And it's probably the only movie I've ever called "Oscar Bait".

I'm talking about the people who sit in a theatre, during a movie and sit "outside" of the experience. The whole time thinking "Oh the director was blah blah" or "You can tell the actors are blah blah". It's just a pointless waste of time to go to a movie with those intentions.

Last movie I saw was Coraline on dvd.

I'm a huge fan of Neil Gaiman and so read the book first. The movie was nice and stuck to the story of the book very well for being transferred to the movie format. I didn't mind the changes in the story either. I do have to echo the sentiments of someone in the last thread who stated that the 3D doesn't work very well on TVs. that is very true. the effects worked, but the color never materialized and I had to switch to the 2D version after 13 minutes because I was getting a headache. I did notice a number of things done in the animation that had to be to show off the 3D effects as well. Kinda brought me out of the movie a bit. Still, I enjoyed it a lot.

B

Biardo

Shegokigo said:
snip

On another note
I have no idea what people's problem is with Benjamin Button. "oh my god, it's oscar bait" "Oh it's exactly like Forrest Gump" do any of you people actually watch a movie FOR just being a movie? Seriously.

I did, I tried but halfway trough I started noticing everything that was wrong with it, in my opinion, and that's why I can't call it a good movie.

I found it to long, it just really had to many scenes in it that were completely unnecessarily or didn't even feel like they had anything to do with the story and it bothered me.

I walked out of the movie theater disappointed

Shegokigo said:
I'm talking about the people who sit in a theatre, during a movie and sit "outside" of the experience. The whole time thinking "Oh the director was blah blah" or "You can tell the actors are blah blah". It's just a pointless waste of time to go to a movie with those intentions.
haha what? This is a fancy way of saying to "turn your brain off". I don't sit there at a movie thinking "oh director David Fincher is guiding the camera to Cate Blanchett's amazing deft performance". I dunno who does. I do think about this stuff after the movie and before I post or talk to my friends about it, etc.

I haven't even seen Ben Button, just heard the Forrest Gump comparisons from nearly every discerning reviewer that had actually seen Forrest Gump.

B

Biardo

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Shegokigo said:
haha what? This is a fancy way of saying to "turn your brain off". I don't sit there at a movie thinking "oh director David Fincher is guiding the camera to Cate Blanchett's amazing deft performance". I dunno who does. I do think about this stuff after the movie and before I post or talk to my friends about it, etc.

I haven't even seen Ben Button, just heard the Forrest Gump comparisons from nearly every discerning reviewer that had actually seen Forrest Gump.
that was my mayor problem with it, it was the kind of movie you started to do that during the movie and usually that means, for me at least, the movie it self isn't interesting enough or not put together in such a way I enjoy it for the story alone

Note: I can't seem to express what I mean anymore my English brain part isn't working today

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Then I obviously wasn't talking about you, interesting that you'd take offence though.
Charlie Dont Surf said:
You have a habit of applying opinions to things you personally haven't seen. Wonder why that is.

A

Alucard

Jurassic Park
Goodfellas
Body of Lies
Illusionist
Cloverfield
Watchmen Director's Cut
Caddyshack

Cloverfield I still don't like from the shakey cam affects.

Body of Lies with Russell Crowe and that Dicaprio fellow was
good albiet along film

Shegokigo said:
You have a habit of applying opinions to things you personally haven't seen. Wonder why that is.
Well, usually in those cases, I take the opinions of those I usually trust and agree with that have seen the movie and make an educated guess. I did see Transformers 2 though, the only recent movie I really did this with lately was G.I. Joe.

L

Laurelai

I didn't interpret her comment as "turn your brain off" but rather than breaking the immersion of the movie.

Laurelai said:
I didn't interpret her comment as "turn your brain off" but rather than breaking the immersion of the movie.
Which is exactly what I did mean. Thank you.

stienman said:
Keep in mind that Shego's version of "immersing" herself in the movie is being able to bring her favorite toys to her favorite movies... and using them.
-Adam
That's usually after I've already seen a movie, am going for a second viewing and wait for one of those "empty theatre" days.... 1 or 2 people... and me..... :ninja:

I just saw King of Kong for the first time. [spoiler:2a543by6]And was exhilarated, and then immediately depressed when I read that Mitchell beat his score right when the movie was released[/spoiler:2a543by6]

B

Biardo

L'auberge espagnole

just saw it so I didn't have time to think about it a whole lot but I loved it

North_Ranger

Staff member
Exodus (1960)

I hate to say this, but the movie hasn't aged well. Also, I was probably in the completely wrong mood for watching this movie; I had just had an argument with a vehement Holocaust denier.

Galaxy Quest

It wasn't any better than on the first time, but I just love Alan Rickman's constant mental breakdowns as a classically trained British actor who is best remembered for a single catchphrase. Also, I was reminded that WE NEED MORE COWB... erm... TONY SHALHOUB! Seriously, the guy is totally under-appreciated as an actor...