[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Joss Whedon is executive producing a new TV show based around a reboot of some old show from the 90's no-one remembers called Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Joss Whedon is executive producing a new TV show based around a reboot of some old show from the 90's no-one remembers called Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
They need to promote it with a teaser video that starts with a dimly-lit Paul Rubens going, “Argh! Ooo! Rrrnff! Ouch!...”

—Patrick

I almost hope it goes in the direction of the comics, where vampires and demons are out in the public eye because it became impossible to hide in the age of the cellphone camera.

figmentPez

Staff member
I want to be excited about this, but I know my Tumblr dash is going to become an inferno of hate and endless posts going on about how awful Joss Whedon is, and nit-picking everything wrong to a degree that would make Cinema Sins blink in shock.

If it's a reboot/remake of Buffy I wonder just how much will carry over from the original.

Will we see every side character carry over?
Will we see any plot elements reused?

I think the best case scenario would be to break away from the original as much as possible

Who is America episode 2 was fucking bonkers again.

It has caused the GOP to turn on itself in Georgia after a representative was on the episode using words like nigger and sand-nigger, doing an insanely racist impression of a Chinese person and dropping his pants and rushing Sacha Baron Cohen with his ass at the behest of Cohen's Mossad character. They somehow managed to make someone look worse than the gun folks who were cool with arming kindergarteners.

Also, Holy shit, I never want to ever be near Kingman, Arizona.

https://politics.myajc.com/blog/pol...s-humiliating-segment/vNIDCsPu8FgZx7uzmRkrQN/

Dave

Staff member
"Georgia is better than this."

Really? I'm sure there's some great places in Georgia, but damned if I didn't meet some real doozies when I was down there.

figmentPez

Staff member
Just watched the Black Lightning trailer from SDCC... it was just a 5 minute recap of the first season. Not even a hint of season 2.

Anthony Mackie will be the lead in the second season of Altered Carbon. As much as the major changes to the books bug me, them not shying away from the body switching stuff is good.

Hoping they make their goal!

Watching the "Series of Unfortunate Events" show on Netflix while reading the books, and the show does a good job at expanding on the stories, e-SPECIALLY their adaptation of "The Miserable Mill", which was season one's finale. Sir is treated like an actual villain for paying his employees in coupons and gum which for some bizarre reason they only point out the illegality of such at the VERY end of book 4 and even then its implied he got away with it, the Hypnotist Dr.Orwell has a backstory as well as a personality, and for a BRIEF moment Mr.Poe is punished for his incompetence( I just...I just wanna PUNCH him). ALSO-Patrick Warburton continues to be a DISTURBINGLY amazing Lemony Snicket!

I just started a fresh re-watch of Babylon 5. First season stumbles and the crunch of season 4 & 5 aside. This really was some of the best SciFi that's been put out on TV.

This really was some of the best SciFi that's been put out on TV.
Not just TV, either.
So many nooks and crannies full of story paths, so much lore, an actual attempt to explain how everything works, and actual, real drama that stretches across multiple episodes, and even seasons. Yes, it suffers a bit for the technology of the time, but prime SF, for sure.

--Patrick

If you are watching the current stuff (which isn't on Amazon), I'll get spoilered, which is what I would very much like to avoid :) Though I'd love to be part of the discussion, I don't have access to stuff outside of that.
We are up to "Legs From Here To Homeworld", which is directly after "Reunited", the last episode of Season 7 and the end of Amazon's listings. So yes, we're one episode ahead... but there ARE ways to watch that when you're up to it.

It's really too bad that Netflix has decided that they need to show me ads for their shows in the middle of me binge watching one of their other shows, because I actually really enjoyed Rev Run's sitcom and I loved Insatiable.

We are up to "Legs From Here To Homeworld", which is directly after "Reunited", the last episode of Season 7 and the end of Amazon's listings. So yes, we're one episode ahead... but there ARE ways to watch that when you're up to it.
Yup, but I do prefer to support the series. :)

Just binged out Sharp Objects. Really "enjoyed" it. Love Amy Adams and she did a really good job in the roll, but she was way too old to play the character she was playing. I think the character is supposed to be her in mid-late twenties. If you're up for a creepy, slow burn miniseries about a fucked up anachronistic town full of child murders and deeply, deeply disturbed people then it's for you.

Also, make sure to watch the credits of the last episode all the way through.