[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Just binged out Sharp Objects. Really "enjoyed" it. Love Amy Adams and she did a really good job in the roll, but she was way too old to play the character she was playing. I think the character is supposed to be her in mid-late twenties. If you're up for a creepy, slow burn miniseries about a fucked up anachronistic town full of child murders and deeply, deeply disturbed people then it's for you.

Also, make sure to watch the credits of the last episode all the way through.
Currently halfway through with my parents, and having a blast.

fade

Staff member
I just watched the DS9 episode "Far Beyond the Stars", and wow, this blew me away. Avery Brooks directed this metafiction episode where Sisko dreams he is a sci-fi writer in the 1950s, beset by civil rights issues. His performance is visceral, and honestly some of the best acting I've seen in any Star Trek. Not particularly Trek-ish in it's own right, but an episode worth watching. You can really tell this episode came from the heart for Brooks.

I just watched the DS9 episode "Far Beyond the Stars", and wow, this blew me away. Avery Brooks directed this metafiction episode where Sisko dreams he is a sci-fi writer in the 1950s, beset by civil rights issues. His performance is visceral, and honestly some of the best acting I've seen in any Star Trek. Not particularly Trek-ish in it's own right, but an episode worth watching. You can really tell this episode came from the heart for Brooks.
Yeah, this was the one that popped up on Heroes and Icons tonight. It's one of my favorites and I love that they tease it in a later episode ("Shadows and Symbols") that it might be the "real" reality and DS9 is just all in Benny's head and he's really locked up in an asylum after what happened to his friend.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, this was the one that popped up on Heroes and Icons tonight. It's one of my favorites and I love that they tease it in a later episode ("Shadows and Symbols") that it might be the "real" reality and DS9 is just all in Benny's head and he's really locked up in an asylum after what happened to his friend.
Yeah that's where I saw it. Companies have caught on to cable cutting, and there are a lot of good OTA channels these days. Also a fan of Comet (sci-fi) and MeTV (oldies).

fade

Staff member
I never made it past season 1 of DS9 when it originally aired because i found a lot of the characters rather annoying and static. Dax and Odo in particular annoyed me, but especially Dax. I think I'll give it a second chance after seeing that.

I never made it past season 1 of DS9 when it originally aired because i found a lot of the characters rather annoying and static. Dax and Odo in particular annoyed me, but especially Dax. I think I'll give it a second chance after seeing that.
Lots of hits and misses up to Season 3. Then the rollercoaster gets over the top of the first hill.

Let's be clear though: In The Pale Moonlight probably made Roddenberry spin in his grave. As good as it is... it and DS9 go against every utopian ideal that he ever had. It's also why the series is generally the best of the lot; it's willing to have complicated, FLAWED characters who don't like each other half the time and Roddenberry never would have allowed any of it.

Let's be clear though: In The Pale Moonlight probably made Roddenberry spin in his grave. As good as it is... it and DS9 go against every utopian ideal that he ever had. It's also why the series is generally the best of the lot; it's willing to have complicated, FLAWED characters who don't like each other half the time and Roddenberry never would have allowed any of it.
Sure, but compared to the movies, DS9 is a fucking Utopia. ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
This is also why TNG's dramatic improvement in quality coincided with Roddenberry's death.

Watched all the Jack Ryan episodes. I can't separate John Krazinski from Jim Halpert. I just can't. I really like Tom Clancy's books. This was an okay adaptation, I guess.
For a dumb action series, it was fine. For a political-action-Clancy-thriller, it was a bit lame. It has the Michael Bay filter in effect.

This is also why TNG's dramatic improvement in quality coincided with Roddenberry's death.
I would ascribe some of this to the fact that old Roddenberry was not the same person young Roddenberry was. I mean, if Roddenberry had lived another year, we may never have gotten “A Fistful of Datas,” which was amazing both for its entertainment value and also for the way it makes grammer nazi’s cringe and grind there teeth.

—Patrick

Watched all the Jack Ryan episodes. I can't separate John Krazinski from Jim Halpert. I just can't. I really like Tom Clancy's books. This was an okay adaptation, I guess.
For a dumb action series, it was fine. For a political-action-Clancy-thriller, it was a bit lame. It has the Michael Bay filter in effect.
Where does it rank among the live-action Jack Ryan properties? I'm looking forward to watching it, but I've never read a Tom Clancy novel before.

fade

Staff member
If I'm honest, I just feel like a lot of the acting in DS9 is goofy and hamfisted. Plus, like every character is super judgy. It's Mean Girls in space.

GasBandit

Staff member
I tried rewatching it and got hella bored, a year or so back, I recall.

I'm still re-watching babylon 5 every year or two to get my sci-fi fix.

We really don't have a thread for this kind of show, but I've been watching Japanese Sentai... so on this week's episode of Lupinranger Vs. Patranger, (basically Cops Vs Robbers, but as Power Rangers) they are interrogating the villain of the week (who is a guy in a monster suit). He's offering to tell the Patrangers stuff about the criminal organization he works for in exchange for a pardon and a new identity. Instead, the Patrangers try to get him to talk the old fashioned way. To do this, they...

- Parody old Japanese police dramas, with the young hothead and the older, smooth talking guy. This bombs, but okay.
- They send in the Commander (Nigerian Comedian Ike Nwala) dressed as Robocop if all you had were pots and pans... and dress the actual robot up as Eddie Murphy ala Beverly Hills Cop, who then proceeds to threaten to anally violate the suspect with a banana. This fails and suspect chastises them for playing the wrong parts.

What the fuck did I just watch? Robocop had a remake a few years ago, but is Beverly Hills Cop so beloved in Japan that kids would get this joke? That movie is -34- years old! I don't even think 20-somethings form Japan would get this joke! WHO WAS THIS JOKE FOR!?

We really don't have a thread for this kind of show, but I've been watching Japanese Sentai... so on this week's episode of Lupinranger Vs. Patranger, (basically Cops Vs Robbers, but as Power Rangers) they are interrogating the villain of the week (who is a guy in a monster suit). He's offering to tell the Patrangers stuff about the criminal organization he works for in exchange for a pardon and a new identity. Instead, the Patrangers try to get him to talk the old fashioned way. To do this, they...

- Parody old Japanese police dramas, with the young hothead and the older, smooth talking guy. This bombs, but okay.
- They send in the Commander (Nigerian Comedian Ike Nwala) dressed as Robocop if all you had were pots and pans... and dress the actual robot up as Eddie Murphy ala Beverly Hills Cop, who then proceeds to threaten to anally violate the suspect with a banana. This fails and suspect chastises them for playing the wrong parts.

What the fuck did I just watch? Robocop had a remake a few years ago, but is Beverly Hills Cop so beloved in Japan that kids would get this joke? That movie is -34- years old! I don't even think 20-somethings form Japan would get this joke! WHO WAS THIS JOKE FOR!?
The writer probably.

It's a Jojo reference. ;)

Where does it rank among the live-action Jack Ryan properties? I'm looking forward to watching it, but I've never read a Tom Clancy novel before.
IMO:
Ford>Baldwin>Krasinski>Pine>Affleck

It's not a bad series even if you're not a Clancy fan. My wife hasn't seen any of them except the Chris Pine one, and she liked it quite a bit.

I totally agree with GasBandit - read the books too!

Magnum PI part deux.

I actually enjoyed it. When I saw the trailer I was sure I would hate it. But, it kept all the high points of the series. Now I just hope they tone down the Fast and the Furious stunts.

Just finished season 5 of Bojack Horseman. Holy hell. Best season so far.

Also recently binged the Good Place seasons 1&2, and dang that show is good. Didn't think a second season would even be possible but they did it and it was great.

GasBandit

Staff member
Iron Fist Season 2

Ok, better than Season 1. Still not as good as the better Marvel serieses, but I'd go so far as to put it ahead of Defenders even.

Making Colleen
become the Iron Fist
seemed a pretty interesting development to me.

Except the end of that last episode...

Really. Danny Rand using Gun-Fu? I dunno about this.

We're about 3/4 through The Haunting of Hill House Netflix series. It's pretty great. It's more sad than scary, but it's engaging, and the casting is pretty good. However, I don't know the original story. I think I saw part of the Liam Neeson movie, but I couldn't tell you anything about it.