[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

I see someone talked sense into someone else about how fucking awful the black wrinkly ballsack armor looked in the first season of The Witcher.

Mandalorian spoilers

Good God, de-aging still looks like complete hell. Would have preferred they just cast someone new to play younger Luke.

Oh and turbo nerd nitpick, saying the Dark Troopers were generation 3 and didn't need a pilot, I just wanted to push my glasses up my nose and say

"Ummmm actually, generation 3 Dark Troopers were the model of Dark Trooper that had a pilot. Gens 1 and 2 were the droids."

I'ma talk a little bit more about the finale.

On the one hand, I'm glad Luke looked like Luke fighting. No flippy doos and shit. Luke fights like the lightsaber is heavy, the way it originally was.

On the other, yeah I get it the whole nostalgia bump but I kind of wish the modern post-Jedi stuff could begin to divorce itself from the original cast so you're not relying on that ghoulish deaging every time or just go ahead and cast the younger but not as young, older Luke, Leia and Han.

I'ma talk a little bit more about the finale.

On the one hand, I'm glad Luke looked like Luke fighting. No flippy doos and shit. Luke fights like the lightsaber is heavy, the way it originally was.

On the other, yeah I get it the whole nostalgia bump but I kind of wish the modern post-Jedi stuff could begin to divorce itself from the original cast so you're not relying on that ghoulish deaging every time or just go ahead and cast the younger but not as young, older Luke, Leia and Han.
I still don't get why everyone thinks it was terrible. Looked fine to me. Though I've also never heard anyone say "That's the best de-aging effect" about anything, so maybe the tech just isn't quite there yet for folks.

I still don't get why everyone thinks it was terrible. Looked fine to me. Though I've also never heard anyone say "That's the best de-aging effect" about anything, so maybe the tech just isn't quite there yet for folks.
Counterpoint: Kurt Russell in Guardians 2 and Michael Douglas in Ant-Man. Both were praised at the time.

Plus, Sam freaking Jackson in Captain Marvel looked great de-aged.

Of course, those are blockbusters with comparatively much larger budgets, but still. Those de-aging effects were praised.

I will say I thought the de-aging was done better here than for Leia in the movie.
That said, it looked good in still frames or when not talking, but every time the character spoke it was like they were trying to do a ventriloquist act.

Counterpoint: Kurt Russell in Guardians 2 and Michael Douglas in Ant-Man. Both were praised at the time.

Plus, Sam freaking Jackson in Captain Marvel looked great de-aged.

Of course, those are blockbusters with comparatively much larger budgets, but still. Those de-aging effects were praised.
To be fair, Samuel L Jackson seemingly stopped aging a long time ago

I heard a lot about how good Black Mirror is, so I tried watching the first episode. It's the one about the Prime Minister and the pig.

I dunno... it's interesting and thought-provoking, I guess, but it's not entertaining, if you know what I mean. I don't feel good from watching it.

Are later episodes more entertaining? If not, I guess it's just not for me.

I heard a lot about how good Black Mirror is, so I tried watching the first episode. It's the one about the Prime Minister and the pig.

I dunno... it's interesting and thought-provoking, I guess, but it's not entertaining, if you know what I mean. I don't feel good from watching it.

Black Mirror is kinda like a modern twilight zone where the themes are usually about the misuse of technology in someway. So it's easy to like some episodes and dislike others. Usually always a dark twist at the end. It has some "lighter" episodes but the themes here are still pretty dark and sometimes disturbing. If you want to try one of the lighter episodes I recommend U.S.S Callister in the 4th season.

I love Black Mirror, but I was also not crazy about that episode. Like other anthology shows, like Twilight Zone or Outer Limits, each episode is kind of hit and miss. But I find it lands more often than not. I say keep on watching.

I love Black Mirror, but I was also not crazy about that episode. Like other anthology shows, like Twilight Zone or Outer Limits, each episode is kind of hit and miss. But I find it lands more often than not. I say keep on watching.
I agree. I didn't care for the first episode, and it put me off from watching more. But I kept reading articles talking about other episodes. And they sounded actually good. So I gave it a shot. As Nick says, it's hit or miss, but I've enjoyed a lot of them. And as the seasons go on, they start tying things/technologies together from one episode to the next. So, unlike twilight zone, you start feeling like there's some continuity.

My reaction is similar to yours. I binged the 1st season, and I just couldn't continue because it left me feeling so awful. I have seen the USS Callister, which is not quite as depressing, but even so, I just can't bring myself to watch more of the show.

I only made it in two, if you don't count the horror one I watched out of curiosity and did enjoy. Maybe it was bad timing, but I don't need someone pointing out how bleak everything is, or is going to be.

Interestingly, I know the makers were involved with the Netflix 2020 recap, which was funny, but I still didn't finish because it was a little too...2020?

Yeah the Prime Minister episode 100% put me off. I liked the ideas of the episodes more than watching them so I just read plot synopsis of most of them at somepoint. Bandersnatch is decent though, if only to play around with the choose your own adventure thing.

I love Black Mirror (some episodes are amazing) but I really disliked the very first one, like everyone else. Must watch episodes include White Bear, The Waldo Moment, Nosedive, San Junipero, and Hang the DJ.

Honorable mentions:

Maybe try Arkangel, Crocodile, Black Museum, Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too and Striking Vipers as well, if you're drawn in by any of the above.

Cobra Kai Season 3 (Netflix)

cobrakaiseason3.png

A huge improvement over Season 2, which was kind of a mess story-wise. Johnny and Daniel get some fucking growth and come to terms with the problems they created, Hawk gets some actual motivations for his actions after a season of "Grr, I'm a bully now", and Kreese's backstory actually takes the limelight for a change, giving the villain some actual pathos to explain why he's such a fucking monster. We even get some nice fucking cameos. Biggest downside is Aisha isn't in this season, so she's not around to be friends with Samantha, but it looks like she might be coming back in the already ordered Season 4.

Then again, they might just can the next season like they did with Glow and leave the fans wanting more. Fuckers.

Dave

Staff member
WandaVision is very interesting. I've only watched the first episode and I can't wait to see what they do with it.

I'm curious if they're going to do a classic sitcom homage for each episode, or if that's just part of the initial setup. I've seen two episodes so far, and

the first is a callback to a Dick Van Dyke homage episode, with the second being a Bewitched homage.

Dave

Staff member
I'm curious if they're going to do a classic sitcom homage for each episode, or if that's just part of the initial setup. I've seen two episodes so far, and

the first is a callback to a Dick Van Dyke homage episode, with the second being a Bewitched homage.
The first was an amalgamation of the two shows you mentioned. I mean,
the neighbor lady's name was even Gladys!

Regarding WandaVision,

I like how each episode it over-all played straight as an homage to the sitcoms of these eras, but something sinister occasionally peaks through. The first episode I actually forgot something had to be wrong until the dinner sequence pulled me back out. Treating each episode this way is what has me intrigued, rather than feeling too tropey or too jaded.

However, I think that the hints they drop are happening as per Wanda's personal time line: First came the Stark ones (the Stark bomb that tortures her and Petro as kids), then Strucker (who mutated them). I'm not sure about the beekeeper, though that symbol feels vaguely familiar?

Now, gimme more episode!

Regarding WandaVision,

I like how each episode it over-all played straight as an homage to the sitcoms of these eras, but something sinister occasionally peaks through. The first episode I actually forgot something had to be wrong until the dinner sequence pulled me back out. Treating each episode this way is what has me intrigued, rather than feeling too tropey or too jaded.

However, I think that the hints they drop are happening as per Wanda's personal time line: First came the Stark ones (the Stark bomb that tortures her and Petro as kids), then Strucker (who mutated them). I'm not sure about the beekeeper, though that symbol feels vaguely familiar?

Now, gimme more episode!
My guess on beekeeper? MCU version of SWARM, who's a Nazi whose body has been devoured by bees down to the skeleton but can now mind control bees. I'm guessing he's just former Hydra/current SWORD in this universe and not a nazi, but still has the bee mind control.

Really dug the first two episodes of WandaVision. I love the subtle build up to more insidious things, but I also love how they completely embrace each sitcom era so far. So much so that I almost didn't want anything bad to break up the fun.

Too early for any specific theories yet, but I'm enjoying the ride.

We watched as a family. So many Easter eggs and comic book references. Some are very esoteric, so I think they are just nods and not primary plot drivers, like the milk and the wine. Others like AIM and SWORD and AGatha harkNESs are sure to be important.

My guess on beekeeper? MCU version of SWARM, who's a Nazi whose body has been devoured by bees down to the skeleton but can now mind control bees. I'm guessing he's just former Hydra/current SWORD in this universe and not a nazi, but still has the bee mind control.
I just assumed it's a reference to the suits they wear in the comics!

AGatha harkNESs
Oh, i would have never gotten that one.

Nice.

They are all over the place, in the opening to Ep 2 there are at least 4. The Grim Reaper hat, Wonder Mints, Bova milk Auntie A's cat litter.