[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

We finished season 1 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

The near final scene with Joel and Suzie
That's up there in my favorite telling-offs of all time.
"Midge has a path now, a career. And she's gonna be a star and you are just gonna be that guy sitting at some loser bar every night pointing to the television set saying 'I used to be married to her but I fucking blew it!'"

Perfect.

Neelix's constant harassment of Tuvok has gotten INCREDIBLY old. Also, Tuvix can fuck right off. His clothes being a mishmash of their outfits is the silliest God damn thing ever. I hate his stupid outfit SO much.

This watch of Voyager is WAY harder than I thought it would be.

Season 2 of Voyager is easily the worst season of any Star Trek series. This has been a painful funeral dirge of television viewing.

Last edited:
Jesus, the season 2 finale/season 3 opener, I was stoked for the adventures of Suder as a predator on the ship and I forgot the 90% of the episode is the main crew's lame ass stone age adventure against shaky cams and CG dinowurms.

Neelix's constant harassment of Tuvok has gotten INCREDIBLY old. Also, Tuvix can fuck right off. His clothes being a mishmash of their outfits is the silliest God damn thing ever. I hate his stupid outfit SO much.

This watch of Voyager is WAY harder than I thought it would be.

Season 2 of Voyager is easily the worst season of any Star Trek series. This has been a painful funeral dirge of television viewing.
The Tuvix episode is basically the moment I join the fans of the "Janeway is a monster" interpretation of her character that got popularized by SFDebris.

Whatever her "needs" as a captain or the ship's "needs", she fucking executed a sentient being that wasn't hurting anyone and had professed a desire to live. That's not even the LEAST Starfleet thing she does on this show.

I know that the narrative demanded they feud so that their melding would create more viewer shock at their being forced to become as intimate as two sentient beings could possibly be, and I know that plot requires they be separated by the end of the episode so that we can return to a steady state in preparation for the next episode, but I agree someone should have thought harder about what message this might send the viewer, and how it could be interpreted as an implied endorsement by Star Trek The Franchise of that message.

--Patrick

I know that the narrative demanded they feud so that their melding would create more viewer shock at their being forced to become as intimate as two sentient beings could possibly be, and I know that plot requires they be separated by the end of the episode so that we can return to a steady state in preparation for the next episode, but I agree someone should have thought harder about what message this might send the viewer, and how it could be interpreted as an implied endorsement by Star Trek The Franchise of that message.

--Patrick
Lon Suder actually killed some people (and knew it was wrong) and the worst HE got was confinement to quarters because keeping him in the brig for the rest of his life was considered unethical. Tuvix literally runs from person to person, looking for ANYONE who is willing to stand up for his right to life... and no one is even willing to look him in the eye. Only the Doctor is willing to stand up to Janeway, because he's literally unable to put aside his ethics, but then Janeway does the procedure herself. To be frank, Starfleet would have stopped her and took her commission away if they had known what was going on.

It's still a better message than Dr. Flox's "I refuse to save this planet because EVOLUTION, even though evolution doesn't work that way" or Archer's "I'm gonna cause a galactic incident because rude aliens almost killed my dog by accident". Voyager is DUMB and INFURIATING at it's worse, but it doesn't slap the viewer in the face like Enterprise does during it's bad seasons.

Lon Suder actually killed some people (and knew it was wrong) and the worst HE got was confinement to quarters because keeping him in the brig for the rest of his life was considered unethical. Tuvix literally runs from person to person, looking for ANYONE who is willing to stand up for his right to life... and no one is even willing to look him in the eye. Only the Doctor is willing to stand up to Janeway, because he's literally unable to put aside his ethics, but then Janeway does the procedure herself. To be frank, Starfleet would have stopped her and took her commission away if they had known what was going on.

It's still a better message than Dr. Flox's "I refuse to save this planet because EVOLUTION, even though evolution doesn't work that way" or Archer's "I'm gonna cause a galactic incident because rude aliens almost killed my dog by accident". Voyager is DUMB and INFURIATING at it's worse, but it doesn't slap the viewer in the face like Enterprise does during it's bad seasons.
Including the one where everyone turns into horny worms or something?

Including the one where everyone turns into horny worms or something?
Do you mean "Threshold", the Warp 10 one? We already talked about that one. It's incredibly dumb and definitely one of the worst in the whole series, but I'd put "A Night in Sickbay" or "Dear Doctor" as worse any day of the week. And that's not even THE WORST episode in Enterprise, which is the fucking finale of the entire show known as "These Are The Voyages", which is widely regarded as the worst episode of ALL the shows.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd still put "A Night In Sickbay" worse than "These are the Voyages," but Enterprise is still not as bad as Voyager. At least Archer had the "we've never done this before and are still figuring this shit out" excuse. Janeway was inexcusable from almost day one.

I'd still put "A Night In Sickbay" worse than "These are the Voyages," but Enterprise is still not as bad as Voyager. At least Archer had the "we've never done this before and are still figuring this shit out" excuse. Janeway was inexcusable from almost day one.
Which is a shame, because Kate Mulgrew is a fine actress and did a fairly good job in the role. It's just (and by her admission) that the writers didn't know what the fuck they were doing. They felt no one should question her because it's the 23rd C, so having a female CO should be normal right? But then the writers couldn't decide what her personality was, which is why we'd get her championing the Prime Directive one week and belittling it the next.

And then Jeri Ryan got on the show by dating Brannon Braga and the entire show shifted to make her the most important character of the cast. Apparently she still owns Seven's alcove and has it in her game room.

And the rest of the cast were basically stuck between Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan and not in the fun way, having to just try and make it work.

Hoof, ok, onto Flashback. The immense difference between kinda sad looking Voyager CG Excelsior and the gorgeous model and special effects from Star Trek 6 are galling. Wow. I never noticed it before so intensely.

She should be captaining the Orville!

I would, but that's faint fuckin praise.

The Orville is shit warmed over from hollywood's most overrated cranial vacuum.
Yup. I can't stand it.

Recycled Next Gen scripts with garbage humour.

That's besides having it be just a Seth McFarlane vanity project. He's terrible in the lead role of most things.

ONTO Voyager.

Harry Kim is so fucking pathetic. He's the saddest fuck in all of Starfleet and that's a Starfleet that includes Barclay, Geordi Laforge and Wesley Crusher all on the same ship.

Also, fuck off Tuvok. Vulcans DO a lot of things. Vulcans do not mingle. Vulcans don't do this. Vulcans don't do that. Get fuuuuucked.

Last edited:
I guess with with all this Q shit and now Borg, it's where Voyager sort of abandons finding it's own character and just starts lifting wholesale from Next Gen.

Frank's side note. There're never enough andorians on Star Trek shows, tellarites too. We get billions of humans and too many vulcans.

Frank's side note. There're never enough andorians on Star Trek shows, tellarites too. We get billions of humans and too many vulcans.
And if a Federation alien member does show up, it's almost certainly a Bolian, right? They even got one in the Maquis crew of Voyager!

And if a Federation alien member does show up, it's almost certainly a Bolian, right? They even got one in the Maquis crew of Voyager!
Yeah, what the hell? Bolians are so lame. One of the only things Enterprise did right was Shran.

My STO character totally isn't an Andorian on a tier 6 pilot ship...I swear.

DS9 was never shy about weird faced aliens though at least. The makeup budget on that show must've been insane.
They continually joke about one member of DS9's staff who is like some sort of human/plant hybrid, saying things like he needs bigger quarters AGAIN because he's sprouting podlings AGAIN.

In fact, I'm pretty sure he was supposed to be the neighbor of the O'Briens at one point.

They continually joke about one member of DS9's staff who is like some sort of human/plant hybrid, saying things like he needs bigger quarters AGAIN because he's sprouting podlings AGAIN.

In fact, I'm pretty sure he was supposed to be the neighbor of the O'Briens at one point.
If anyone's going to understand that life, it's the Irish guy.

The Orville is really just kind of a Star Trek tribute show and if Seth McFarlane didn't put himself in the lead - if, instead the lead had been Esai Morales or Andy Samberg or Matt Passmore (from The Glades) - it could have been better than it was. I liked it, but it's no Galaxy Quest.

If anyone's going to understand that life, it's the Irish guy.
My favorite O'Brien moment is the one where Keiko, Guinan, Picard, and Ro Laren get turned into children, and Miles cannot fucking handle it. Fucking 11-year old Keiko tries snuggling up to him and he is super fucking creeped out. She's like, "What about our marriage?" and he's like, "You're a literal child" and she's like, "What, I married the only white dude who isn't into that?!"

Harry Kim is so fucking pathetic. He's the saddest fuck in all of Starfleet and that's a Starfleet that includes Barclay, Geordi Laforge and Wesley Crusher all on the same ship.
I’m with you on this. I felt like Kim’s potential character development got wasted and instead became “watch this pathetic fellow who falls in love with anything with boobs and a pulse but then gets his heart stomped by the end of every episode. Ha haa! Why won’t he ever learn? <sad trombone>”

—Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
The Orville is really just kind of a Star Trek tribute show and if Seth McFarlane didn't put himself in the lead - if, instead the lead had been Esai Morales or Andy Samberg or Matt Passmore (from The Glades) - it could have been better than it was. I liked it, but it's no Galaxy Quest.
Any show that thinks a naval officer can drink on the job and not immediately find his ass stapled to the floor has no fucking idea what it is doing.

I always liked Dax's ex, the one with transparent skin.