Tangled AKA Rapunzel

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went and saw Tangled last night. It was pretty good! I made the mistake of watching a bunch of previews and reviews first. I would have enjoyed it more, I think, if I had just seen the . (It's not exactly a twisty movie, you'll figure it all out within the first ten minutes, but the way they handled certain things was interesting and would be more interesting the less you know about it). So if you haven't seen it yet but generally liked the first trailer, you should just see it. If you've already seen it (or the first trailer offered zero interest for you, in which case the movie probably won't either, but for some reason you want to read my thoughts about it, go ahead and skip the spoiler bracket).

Spoilers ahoy from here on out:

-

-

-

So... first of all, the awesome scene in the trailer isn't actually there (instead Rapunzel just knocks him out and then ties him up while he's unconscious). This actually makes sense (Rapunzel has reason to be pretty good at using her hair to tie things up and swing around from branches... she really has absolutely no reason to have developed the ability to control it as a prehensile weapon that can snake around someone from multiple directions, take off their boot, then kick them in the head with it). It also made a bit more sense from a storyline perspective. The whole point of her character was to be someone who WAS strong and capable, but also hopelessly naive and lacking confidence in herself.

But as realistic as it was, honestly I had been looking forward to a badass Rapunzel. I'm not sure how much of that had to do with the sheer awesomeness of the first trailer's fight scene, and how much had do with the BDSM undertones and my creepy attraction to a CGI girl who's supposed to have just turned 18.

Also, as far as "realism" goes, there is no way in hell she should have been able to swim.

The relationship with her mother actually kinda poisoned the movie for me, since it was extremely well done and was vaguely reminiscent of some similarities Mother Gothel had to my grandmother (who on one hand, is kinda manipulative in similar ways but on the other hand is really kinda lonely and if people just gave her a call more often she probably wouldn't do the things that drive us nuts. It's a bit of a chicken-egg question though). So in the movie, although it Gothel is probably a straight up sociopath, I spent the whole time wondering about her and thinking about what my grandmother would be thinking if she was watching the movie and feeling sad.

I could talk a lot about the socioeconomic implications of a girl with healing hair, but I'll leave that for later.

But as realistic as it was, honestly I had been looking forward to a badass Rapunzel. I'm not sure how much of that had to do with the sheer awesomeness of the first trailer's fight scene, and how much had do with the BDSM undertones and my creepy attraction to a CGI girl who's supposed to have just turned 18.
... Somebody call Chris Hanson.

What.

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Oh c'mon I was not the only one thinking that. (Then again, the only specific statement by another poster I can think of to that effect was by Shego, which isn't necessarily a good point of reference when it comes to things that are NOT hella creepy and distubring).

Dave

Staff member
Disney chicks are always so generically aged it's hard to tell whether the more grown-up inside jokes are funny or creepy. No worries.

A

Angela

What a crap movie. Not one song to stay in your head and the stroty line was unimaginative. The writers are obviously college grads who were taught the formulas but you can't teach talent. Disney has lost its magic.

Dave

Staff member
I agree with Angela. I disliked this movie as well. Only reason I watched all of it was because I had it on my 3D...

I got serious blood pumping in all the right places at the "final look" Rapunzel had. Seriously, if it had been blonde with that kind of cut? I'd have lost my composure.

I enjoyed it as well, and not just because I have a BDSM fetish and masturbated to it.*

*This is a joke, I didn't really masturbate to it**

**They threw me out of the theater before I could finish.

Yeah, me and my wife both enjoyed it. Watched it with the Princess and the Frog, which I thought was better, but it was still enjoyable. It was a little paint by the numbers Disney but eh, it was fun.

I enjoyed Tangled. As Espy said, definitely paint-by-number Disney, but it was good. I don't go into the movies expecting memorable songs...I think Disney tapped out with their run with the Little Mermaid through Aladdin.

I enjoyed it as well.

We found it incredibly cute and Rapunzel looks a lot like my niece. (the long haired version).

GasBandit

Staff member
It was alright. I mean, it was a family-friendly coming-of-age rom-com. What'd you want? That's about as good as those get.

In regards the music, it seems to me that they were going with a classic Gilbert and Sullivan style of music, and I think it worked really well for the film. Mother Knows Best and Everybody Has A Dream would never play on the radio, but then again, neither would I Am the Very Model of A Modern Major General.

Status
Not open for further replies.