Tech minor victory thread

Still moving my presence from old computer to new, XP/7 dual boot to -> 10.12/10.14/8.1/10 quad boot.
Today's task (which I've been putting off) is to copy and move over my Steam library and support files.
Plugged in 2TB external to copy it all aaaaaand my computer froze.
When turning it back on it tries to start up but then just goes beeeeeeeeeeeeeee and restarts itself, then repeats. Can't even get to BIOS screen, just eeeeeeeeee *bip* eeeeeeeeee.
Having the computer fail just as I'm finally moving my stuff over (in earnest!) is the sort of AYFKM? moment that is going to make me grumble for days. Sure, I can extract the drives, hook them up with a dock/sled, and dig through them to manually move the stuff over, but that's more work than I really WANT to have to do.

hang on the top of the heatsink looks really dusty remove pfft pfft fresh paste remount okay all good now and only 90F/32C to boot was just ProcHot the whole time nevermind.

--Patrick

Still moving my presence from old computer to new, XP/7 dual boot to -> 10.12/10.14/8.1/10 quad boot.
Today's task (which I've been putting off) is to copy and move over my Steam library and support files.
When turning it back on it tries to start up but then just goes beeeeeeeeeeeeeee and restarts itself, then repeats. Can't even get to BIOS screen, just eeeeeeeeee *bip* eeeeeeeeee.
Having the computer fail just as I'm finally moving my stuff over (in earnest!) is the sort of AYFKM? moment that is going to make me grumble for days. Sure, I can extract the drives, hook them up with a dock/sled, and dig through them to manually move the stuff over, but that's more work than I really WANT to have to do.

hang on the top of the heatsink looks really dusty remove pfft pfft fresh paste remount okay all good now and only 90F/32C to boot was just ProcHot the whole time nevermind.

--Patrick
Aside from a few critical documents and password settings, I don't back up shit. A new drive/pc/etc is just a chance to throw out all the old and start fresh and clean.

--Patrick
Didnt i post this here already: https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Of course if you changed your OS versions that's not going to work.

But why are you copying Steam library, instead of just reinstalling... you guys still don't have gud internetz?

Macrium is great for cloning, but not so great for migration.
why are you copying Steam library, instead of just reinstalling... you guys still don't have gud internetz?
Because 760GB, that's why. Even if I keep 100% of our house's 100Mbit connection for myself and run it 24/7, that's still 17+ straight hours MINIMUM of downloading, plus no guarantee that it will keep my mods, settings, screenshots, save games, etc., intact. Even lowly USB2 is 480Mbit, which is almost 5x faster.

Also my Steam library is not the only thing I want to move. So there's more.

--Patrick

Yeah, I don't see why I'd ever choose to re-download a huge amount of data if it's already stored locally. I mean, my "unlimited" plan is still maxed at about 1TB/month. Not that I ever get anywhere near that, but trying to re-download my whole Steam and GOG library would put me close.

Jeez guys, i was just bragging about our internet... gimme a break.

Heh, i still remember when he 1st got network peering in town between the different provider and my local DC++ downloads where limited by HDD's writing speeds.

no guarantee that it will keep my mods, settings, screenshots, save games, etc., intact. Even lowly USB2 is 480Mbit, which is almost 5x faster.
Pretty sure everything but the mods should be part of you steam profile.

A whole lot of games -especially of a certain generation - keep a crapload of stuff in the \users\ directory (save games etc), in \programdata\, and in \programfiles (x86)\. It can be an absolute pain to track it all down, as sometimes it's just in say, \programdata\gamename\sound (or whatever) while other times it'll be programdata\developer\publisher\licensingcompany\steam\BIN\data\sounds\ . And not a single mention of the actual game anywhere in there. Bad manners, but hey.

Unfortunately not. There are many things stored outside the actual Steam folder, depending on the game.

—Patrick
I was assuming cloud saves, but then i remembered not all games (esp. older ones) have even that.

And i'm guessing the screenshots aren't taken with the Steam Client (like this great one of a Batman Thug "just resting"!)

Weird how used to just having everything in the cloud i've gotten.

At my wife's work place they were retiring some old NAS's so they held a raffle to see who amongst the interested got one, and which one.
I got the biggest and best one, a Synology DS215+ with 2 4-TB HDDs.
Sure, it's a bit of an older model, but it still works perfectly well and as some of you may remember, I recently posted i was thinking about cord cutting...having a NAS, even a bit of an older one, around will definitely help in that regard :-D

Make sure the first thing you do is to update the firmware.

--Patrick
The drives were completely formatted and everything returned to original settings, so yes, the first thing I did was update the firmware and re-install the latest versions etc etc :)
I don't know a bloody thing about setting up a NAS (though it's currently already automatically backing up all the pictures on my cell phone so at least something's working right :) ) and I'm sure I' m clueless about how to get the most out of it (I feel like it might be useful to set up my own Plex server for instance but haven't got a clue where to start yet, it's not something I'll be tackling this week anyway), but "get every form of security on there up to the latest and get some more" is alwyas a good move on any new appliance :-D

And five seconds later I discover they have a ready-made (beta) Plex-server package to install so it might not be complicated after all :cool:

It’s shown up and been discussed online before. The reason it was billed as “never obsolete” is because you could kinda trade them in for newer models sorta like how you trade in and upgrade phones today.
Pat or Gas have something to say about this :3
well duh
—Patrick

Couldn't get the mic on my headset to work, checked all the sound settings, nothing picked up. Turns out the windows mic test doesn't work at all for me and my privacy settings were preventing audacity from accessing the microphone

my privacy settings were preventing audacity from accessing the microphone
I very frequently have the following conversation (or something like it) with people:
Them: "My xxxxx isn't working."
Me: (looking through prefs/restrictions/block list/settings/) "That's because you have xxxxx turned off."
Them: "Well I didn't want anyone to xxxxx me."
Me: "Really? Even yourself? What about when you want to xxxxx?"
Them: "Uhhh..."

(apologies if this gives @ThatNickGuy PTSD)

--Patrick

I very frequently have the following conversation (or something like it) with people:
Them: "My xxxxx isn't working."
Me: (looking through prefs/restrictions/block list/settings/) "That's because you have xxxxx turned off."
Them: "Well I didn't want anyone to xxxxx me."
Me: "Really? Even yourself? What about when you want to xxxxx?"
Them: "Uhhh..."

(apologies if this gives @ThatNickGuy PTSD)

--Patrick
Lol to be fair I knew I wouldn't be recording anything for myself anytime soon when I set myself up like this

Looks like I've been having airflow problems the whole time. Got the laptop sitting on an old keyboard and settings are turned up again

Edit: gpu is running at 25-30% instead of 100 whenever a game is running. Looking like I got it right this time

Last edited:
5800X on special again at the usual locations. Including Best Buy. My local store has them in stock. So now I just need to go pick mine up.

And some isopropyl alcohol. Then backup my files, update the BIOS, etc etc...

First scariest task is done. BIOS is updated to accommodate the new CPU. Had to reenter the security settings and fan and memory profiles, but the system is still running okay. Tomorrow morning it'll go in for the big surgery.

So glad you remembered to do that BEFORE the switch.

—Patrick
Not gonna get caught out like I did when I tried to install the nVME drive.

Plan is to bit by bit acquire higher-end parts to turn the current rig into yet another Gentoo box, and the 5800x system running on its own. GPU is the obvious flaw in the plan, of course.