Tech News and Miscellany

tl:dr; People 13yrs and older who do NOT have some kind of hook-up-your-phone system (CarPlay, Android Auto) in their car spend about 2/3 of their time listening to good ol’ AM/FM radio. But people who do? Incredibly, these people still spend almost HALF their time listening to AM/FM radio.

—Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
tl:dr; People 13yrs and older who do NOT have some kind of hook-up-your-phone system (CarPlay, Android Auto) in their car spend about 2/3 of their time listening to good ol’ AM/FM radio. But people who do? Incredibly, these people still spend almost half their time listening to AM/FM radio.

—Patrick
I must be a statistical outlier, but I haven't voluntarily listened to the radio for recreation in 20 years.

Dave

Staff member
I listen almost exclusively to SiriusXM. The exception is when some morning radio buddies are on and I’m in a position to listen.

At first I thought you meant the distro.
I thought the whole reason Intuit bought Mint in the first place was as a gateway to Quicken, guess I was wrong.

--Patrick

Canada-based University of Waterloo is racing to remove M&M-branded smart vending machines from campus after outraged students discovered the machines were covertly collecting facial-recognition data without their consent.
I've heard of vending machines that adjust prices based on time of day and temperature/humidity, but this is new (though not unexpected).

--Patrick

If you believe what they claim (that is of course a big if), I don't see how this would be a GDPR problem.
Collecting identifiable information without consent is bad.
Lighting up when a face is detected and registering "apparent male, 30-35" but otherwise not keeping or using facial data is fine (legally).

If you believe what they claim (that is of course a big if), I don't see how this would be a GDPR problem.
Collecting identifiable information without consent is bad.
Lighting up when a face is detected and registering "apparent male, 30-35" but otherwise not keeping or using facial data is fine (legally).
Here's what we've learned from cell phones: gdpr doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the data they collect "is non-identifiable" because the truth is: it actually is. If it wasn't they wouldn't do it. Even if they don't store a picture of your face and all they know is male roughly this age etc, they still have so much cross data that they know it's you. Of course, the fact that they have so much cross data means there's very little chance to fight it, we've lost that particular battle unless something very drastic happens

It doesn't matter if the data they collect "is non-identifiable" because the truth is: it actually is.
It always is. AOL already taught us that.
Add cellphone logs in with the proliferation of license plate readers and even plane/drone surveillance and there really are no secrets left to keep without significant effort to conceal them.
according to this study, just knowing the zip code [...] of where you work, and where you live, will uniquely identify 5% of the population, and for half of Americans will place them in a group of 21 people or fewer. If you know the “census blocks” where somebody works and lives (an area roughly the size of a block in a city, but much larger in rural areas), the accuracy is much higher, with at least half the population being uniquely identified.
--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I can personally vouch that Youtube is intentionally slowing down content on firefox. I was having buffering problems this morning. I ran a speedtest from fast and speedof.me to make sure that yep, my fiber connection is still awesome. So I opened chrome to the same video, and BOOM, instant, full buffer with no lag.

So I installed the firefox user agent switcher addon to make firefox lie to websites that it is Chrome, and magically the problem went away.

I saw that yesterday and I just don't get it.
I assume that, like the article suggests, this is someone's attempt to avoid a situation where the MPAA and similar organizations come down on HDMI Forum for "allowing/aiding" the creation of a tool whose only POSSIBLE purpose would be to enable the wholesale ripping/copying of commercial 4K content.

--Patrick

Am currently debating whether to try and score a 1660-series card or buy a 3060 12GB off a coworker.
Guess I'd better hurry.

--Patrick