Tech News and Miscellany

Just learning about this today:
If true, this means data records for ONE THIRD of the ENTIRE WORLD'S POPULATION have been leaked.
Just another reminder to never give anyone more information than the bare minimum they need to do whatever it is they need to do, and also a good demonstration of how a company that makes it their business to mine/scrape/collect and then collate PII from multiple sources into comprehensive profiles of individuals ALSO creates a very tempting target for people who might want to steal that information for their own nefarious purposes.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
If true, this means data records for ONE THIRD of the ENTIRE WORLD'S POPULATION have been leaked.
It says 2.7 billion records, not 2.7 billion people. Given that the leak apparently targets exclusively US citizens, it stands to reason that it's multiple records per person. Like, a phone bill and a mortgage statement and an insurance card and a credit report are 4 different records that could all be for the same person.

It says 2.7 billion records, not 2.7 billion people. Given that the leak apparently targets exclusively US citizens, it stands to reason that it's multiple records per person.
I know there's a strong likelihood of duplicates, but that doesn't make as good of a headline, right?
They're saying the breach covers people from the USA, Canada, and the UK, so I'm assuming the database was their aggregation of "English-speakers."

--Patrick

Last edited:
Some pages list the amount of vendors whose cookies or "interests" they're asking permission/acceptance for. This often goes into the several hundreds per tick box, and there's often dozens of boxes to untick.
I get that meta and alphabet and whatever want my data, but who the cream are these other literally thousands of companies asking permission or just giving notification or their interest in my info?!

[Brazelton] AnandTech.com
Ten years ago, site namesake Anand Shimpi left the site to go work at Apple, now the site's current "main man" Ryan Smith has announced that the site will receive no more updates. The site was continuously active for 2.7*10^-2 centuries.

I will miss it. It has been one of my main tech sites since I first discovered it.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Fixed.
That's what I get for trying to dash it off in the last 2 minutes before I have to get to work.
EDIT: Also the "centuries" one was arstechnica, not anandtech. See? I told you I was in a hurry.

--Patrick

Last edited:
...because the IA's digital copies of books did not "provide criticism, commentary, or information about the originals" or alter the original books to add "something new," the court concluded that the IA's use of publishers' books was not transformative, hobbling the organization's fair use defense.
"Group of benchwarming judges rules that putting books in front of a camera/OCR and converting them from physical printed media to digital data does not meet the legal definition of 'transformative.'" EXCUSE ME?

--Patrick