[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

Does anyone actually use the Windows Mail app these days? Trying to set up my email accounts on the new laptop keeps returning "cannot find your account settings." I could probably do it manually with Advanced settings, but it shouldn't be necessary.
Several years ago, I was helping out a relative and discovered that the mail client has no easy way to erase incorrect auto complete entries. Mistype something once and it's there forever. That was a red flag, especially on an elderly relative's computer, so I migrated him to Gmail.

Working all night to get a Gentoo laptop that may or may not boot when the work is done, or this current Kubuntu release I already had on a thumb drive. Decisions, decisions.

What's the difference, really? KDE is KDE. Firefox is Firefox. VLC is VLC. Anyway, Kubuntu installed in minutes, where who knows how long it would've taken just to get wifi configured to even start installing Gentoo.

The funny thing is, unrelated to everything, when I hear the word "Mint" I think about the Dispensaries that are located here in the Valley of the same name - who are one of the few that have a license to dispense for "recreational purposes."

I was trying to revive a very old pentium 4 system, for a less fortunate family. The thing only worked sometimes. In the end, I found the problem:
1617403031127.png

GasBandit

Staff member
So we just got notified, by ALL our manufacturers, that the chip shortage, compounded by the suez canal incident, means we might not have enough product coming to fulfill all our projects this summer.

Oh fuck.

I read an article a few weeks ago (before the Suez Canal incident) that the price of used cars was probably going to go up due to the chip shortages going for new cars, so there were going to be less new cars being made. Probably also going to make less used cars available too as people hold onto them longer or they go quicker.

I've been messing with arduinos and I've determined that resistor color patterns are the bane of my existence. The amount of times I've had to play "Is this brown or red or orange?!" is trying my patience. :p

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been messing with arduinos and I've determined that resistor color patterns are the bane of my existence. The amount of times I've had to play "Is this brown or red or orange?!" is trying my patience. :p
I wonder how good the phone apps that scan resistors are.

The amount of times I've had to play "Is this brown or red or orange?!" is trying my patience. :p
It gets easier once you learn to recognize the more common values.
Be glad you no longer have to deal with color-coded capacitors as well. Ugh.

--Patrick

I'm pretty much going to start just testing every single one with a multimeter and pre sorting them so I don't have to try to figure out what color things are constantly.

I'm pretty much going to start just testing every single one with a multimeter and pre sorting them so I don't have to try to figure out what color things are constantly.
Excellent idea!

Trying to read color codes -- that way lies madness.

It might be worth investing in some clip lead to banana plug connectors for your meter. EG:
Amazon product

TIL regular Chrome is available for Linux, not just Chromium. Why a whine? Because I'll be installing it on my Gentoo laptop, and on principle I'll be emerging from source instead of the pre-compiled binary. Firefox takes ~4-5 hours. I expect Chrome to take 8 or more.

(ETA: or not. Looks like the google-chrome package is a precompiled binary. I did have to add an option and recompile the kernel, though. No big deal there.)

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Got an email from my apartment that they are installing smart home stuff in my apartment. Keyless door entry, a smart thermostat, and smart plugs. And they're going to start installations next week.

I am not thrilled.

Will they allow you to keep additional low-tech versions in place, or is this just a thinly-veiled attempt to be able to enter/control your premises without your knowledge and/or permission?

I know which one I'm putting my money on.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Will they allow you to keep additional low-tech versions in place, or is this just a thinly-veiled attempt to be able to enter/control your premises without your knowledge and/or permission?

I know which one I'm putting my money on.
It's a justification for raising the rent when I renew my lease. They already have keys to my apartment, they don't need to spend money to gain access.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's a justification for raising the rent when I renew my lease. They already have keys to my apartment, they don't need to spend money to gain access.
Yeah, but Texas law requires them to notify you when they do, and why. If they put smartshit in your apt, they can adjust your thermostat remotely, even if you set the deadbolt that doesn't have a key, and not tell you shit.

It's the "not tell you shit" part that I'm getting at.
In order to use the keys to your apartment, someone has to go get the keys and use them.
With smart locks, there are infinite keys to your apartment, and there is no way to tell who last used one, or even whether anyone did.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
It's the "not tell you shit" part that I'm getting at.
In order to use the keys to your apartment, someone has to go get the keys and use them.
With smart locks, there are infinite keys to your apartment, and there is no way to tell who last used one, or even whether anyone did.
With the right smart system, you'd have a better chance of knowing who used a key, when, and if, than with a physical key. There's not a lot of evidence left behind to know if anyone used a physical key to enter my apartment while I was away.

Oh sure, the apartment staff has a better chance of knowing, but not you (because I assume the "owner" of the lock will be them, not you).

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh sure, the apartment staff has a better chance of knowing, but not you (because I assume the "owner" of the lock will be them, not you).
You said "is this just a thinly-veiled attempt to be able to enter/control your premises without your knowledge and/or permission?" and they already can enter/control my premises without my knowledge and/or permission. Nothing about the smart key on my door would change that. Unless you're arguing that my apartment is doing this because they want to make it easier for thieves or other third parties to enter without any permission from either them or myself, then I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.
I was curious why they were literally lowering the barrier to entry. Sure the thermostat/plugs are being installed to control and monitor your utility usage, but to what end? Was there a rash of people using too much heat/AC? Are they trying to catch people growing weed/mining Ethereum in their units? Utility usage is already monitored and billed by the utility companies (unless it's one of those "included in your rent" deals), so why set this stuff up at all unless their end goal is to catch overages and limit usage? As to the smart locks, the only real reason for the "upgrade" would be for convenience, but unless there's some kind of robust auditing in place, it's going to become harder for them to show/prove exactly who (staff-wise) enters your apartment. And of course if the master passcode ever leaks, how will they know?

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
And of course if the master passcode ever leaks, how will they know?
They use Kwikset keys of a type that are known to be easily bypassable with a bump key, among other security flaws. They wouldn't know if someone were getting into apartments now.

As to why? I assume it's the same reason they have in-unit washer dryers, or why there's a pool, or a gym... It's to make the property more appealing to renters. They don't necessarily have to get anything out of it from an administration perspective, just have another bullet point to draw people in, and/or justify a higher rent cost.