The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

Dave

Staff member
I wonder how well it holds up to time. I hear it doesn't do it very well. Might have to get it and watch it.

LAH is a brilliant parody AND pastiche of the genre, and deserves to stand proudly alongside such movies as Galaxy Quest and Blazing Saddles.

—Patrick

LAH is a brilliant parody AND pastiche of the genre, and deserves to stand proudly alongside such movies as Galaxy Quest and Blazing Saddles.
Convince me. I remember the movie being bad enough that it was severely "Meh" in quality. So if you're going to make such a bold claim as to compare it to those two GREAT movies, you need to convince me enough to "waste" 2-ish hours on that movie (And however much money to rent if it's not on netflix).

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm not sure I have the words to describe this video, but I think it would appeal to a good number of people on the forums. Especially those who like the machining of pretty things that serve a practical purpose.

Considered putting this in the Space Stuff thread:

Six Flags has apparently been inspired by the Happy-Go-Pukey.
I saw the April 20 cover live, and found out later that @Cajungal was there too!
I almost got to go to the Kinks/Clash show, but tickets sold out by the time I found out about it (October?) and all that was left were seats $245ea. We didn't go.

--Patrick

Recognized ‘em all in under a second except for the last one, which took two. These were my bread and butter growing up EXCEPT for the last one, which for some reason I’ve never seen. Did it never hit syndication, I wonder?
Glad Chelsea is still in these, she’s great. Labib, you’re good, too, but your smile will never be as epic as Chelsea’s.
I don’t know who this Sabrina D person is, but she reminds me a LOT of Felicia Day.

There’s SO MUCH MORE they could’ve talked about, too. The two Darrens, the two Gingers, the fact that there’s actually a band named “His Boy Elroy” or that Elizabeth Montgomery ruled that show with an iron fist, all sorts of stuff.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I knew all of them. Shocker.

But I think of these kids and am really amazed. A lot of them were born in the 90's and some even in the early 00's. And yet they know a lot of the stuff. If someone had me do "Songs from the 1930's or 1940's" I'd miss almost all of them.

I knew all of them. Shocker.

But I think of these kids and am really amazed. A lot of them were born in the 90's and some even in the early 00's. And yet they know a lot of the stuff. If someone had me do "Songs from the 1930's or 1940's" I'd miss almost all of them.
Yeah, but for a proper comparison we'd need to know how you'd do on stuff from *before* you were born. :hide:

Actually I wonder how much that stuff was still on TV in reruns as they were growing up, compared to how much 30's/40's songs were still being sung when you were growing up.

Dave

Staff member
That's actually a good point about these songs being in more social media and that there wasn't as many reruns. No cable so there wasn't any "nostalgia" channels.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's actually a good point about these songs being in more social media and that there wasn't as many reruns. No cable so there wasn't any "nostalgia" channels.
Yeah, there wasn't a "Nick at Night" in the 60s showing 30s media, too... I wouldn't know half of what I do about 60s TV if it weren't for Nick at Night in the 90s. Heh.

Don’t forget that some of that stuff was considered so iconic that parts of the themes have been sampled and used in other things.

—Patrick

Recognized ‘em all in under a second except for the last one, which took two. These were my bread and butter growing up EXCEPT for the last one, which for some reason I’ve never seen. Did it never hit syndication, I wonder?
That show was in syndication, last I remember seeing it was in the early days of Nick at Nite, so early 90s.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's so iconic Tiny Toons even did a parody of it, complete with the trip over the ottoman and everything. I remember chuckling because they called Elmyra "Elmyra Tyler Moore," and I think this was before canon established her last name as "Duff" so it kinda confused me for a bit. (A reference that she takes the place of Elmer Fudd in the lineup, much like Montana Max replaces Yosemite Sam).

It's so iconic Tiny Toons even did a parody of it, complete with the trip over the ottoman and everything.
And I recognized that parody for what it was, but as I had never seen the show I didn't know about the ottoman/nottoman thing until after seeing that TT ep.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
The thing is, they left it up to Dick van Dyke as to whether or not he would trip. The rest of the cast had no idea whether he would or not and since it was live it changed every week.

Dave

Staff member
Apparently I'm both right and wrong. The show was live but the opening was recorded. They had 3 different ones.