The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

Watched the Andor finale.

Meh.

I don't know. I really wanted to like this show. And I did at some points. But it was just too dry, dull, and drawn out for me. The finale had multiple characters that I couldn't remember who they were or why I should care.

Also, Mon Mothma's story led to literally nothing at the end. All that build up and her b-story just ended, with no connection to the rest of the overarching story or any resson for me to care.

I also didn't understand why [redacted] suddenly wanted Andor dead except to create some tension for that anticlimactic final scene. What was even the point of all that?

I don't know. I struggled to find a reason to care much about anything or anyone in this show. I watched it partly out of a sense of obligation, or FOMO, but also trying to see this great show everyone else was watching and I just don't see it.

Also, that end credits teaser was dumb. So we learn the things they were building in the prison was for a tiny part for [redacted].

Whoop dee fucking doo. Now we know the story behind of the sprockets on [redacted].

Man, I'll probably be in the minority, but I didn't like the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special at all. It was completely hollow fluff with an even more holliw sentiments.

I haven't disliked a James Gunn project this much since Super.

I can't put my finger on why, but Groot just looked wrong to me. I think it was CG but it looked like a lifeless animatronic.

Cosmo's voice bugged me, too. They didn't even sound Russian until the very last line.

Also, too many musical numbers padding out the runtime. I get they were kind of playing with the old Star Wars Holiday Special structure, but like...that was a horrible structure in the first place?

I also didn't understand why [redacted] suddenly wanted Andor dead except to create some tension for that anticlimactic final scene. What was even the point of all that?
I assume by [redacted] you mean Luthen & Vel; the reason they wanted Andor dead is because he did the Aldhani heist with the crew, arguably one of the biggest blows to the empire since its inception at that point, after Luthen brought him in last second, and then bailed after shooting a crew-member (Cassian said that Skeen was going to kill him and then Vel, but they only had his word for that and no way to verify). He was a loose end, and he knew Luthen's face. Kleya (Luthen's assistant) said as much, and Luthen said he'd gotten careless hiring Cassian for the heist. If the ISB got hold of him, they were all going to be dead. So better to kill him first.

But the problem was that they had no idea where he was (nevermind that he was in prison), so when they picked up that Maarva had died, they - rightly - assumed Cassian would return for the funeral, so that's where they took their chance to knock out their loose end.

In contrast to Nick, I absolutely loved Andor, including the finale. The people felt real, the locations felt real, the stakes were real, and it was absolutely riveting. There was no empty fan-service. (Looking at you, Obi-Wan). There could perhaps have been a touch less build-up to Maarva's speech in the finale, and
the weird awkward moment after Syril saved Dedra could have been cut imo
but absolutely riveting.

no empty fan-service
This is the only point that, while valid for most of the series, I disagree with because of the stinger right at the end.

The giant thingy they worked on in the prison was a tiny sprocket or whatever on the Death Star. Whoop-dee-flipping-doo. The reason why this made me roll my eyes is because if this were truly Andor's show and wasn't just another notch on the Star Wars belt, then that stinger would make you believe that eventually, he'd have to face that giant thing.

But no, instead, it's just a reference to another Star Wars thing where Andor won't even encounter or interact with the Death Star. In any other show, that stinger would've been a tease for a pending threat. But we already know Andor's fate. He's already dead by the time anyone does anything with the Death Star. So the whole thing just becomes an exercise in pointing and saying "Oh, I recognize that thing!" Thus, making it empty fan service.

He is dead by the time anyone does anything with the death star, but it's because of him (and the rest of the Rogue One Crew) that people can even do things with the Death Star. It's their actions that bring the death star plans, and Galen's built in flaw, to the Rebel Alliance so that Luke can blow it up.

That said, I will acquiesce to the point, but also since it's a post-credits stinger, I'm willing to let it slide since for me it does not detract from the rest of the series and the story it told (which, in my humble opinion, if I had to reduce it down to it's barest bones is "when people stand up together, fascism doesn't stand a chance" and is also part of the reason why I love the show). But it also doesn't really add anything beyond being a cool shot and the "hey that's what they worked on in Narkina V" so, y'know. I get it.

Cassian Andor was killed by the Death Star
*rewatches that part of Rogue One*

Oh right, I forgot. I knew he died on the planet, but I thought the explosion was from a Star Destroyer bombing, not the Death Star. It's been a long while since I last watched it.

The Death Star isn't fan-service. It explains the situation with the prisons.

The Empire was building the Death Star in secret. So secret that they wiped out the Geonosians to keep it secret (well, except for a queen egg and a drone, as seen in Rebels). If they're willing to commit genocide to keep it secret, they can't use the regular contractors building the standard Imperial ships and weapons. The perfect solution? Prison factories. People who aren't going to be going home every day and talking about building giant rivets. In fact, they'll never be talking about it to anyone because they won't ever be released, just recycled to a new factory until they die. And if you need more workers, you round up some people, make up some crimes to charge them with, and give them a disproportionately long sentence so nobody wonders where they are. The Death Star is why the prisoners were being moved around instead of being released and why they were put into competition to churn out the parts as fast as possible. It may even be the reason the prison factories exist in the first place.

Okay, so Willow will be 3 seasons.

And so far we have Alora, a hero who is an attractive young woman with (now canonically correct) long red hair and the villain is now her exact twin but with short red hair and some how sexier?

Couldn't they get a different actress?

Okay, so Willow will be 3 seasons.

And so far we have Alora, a hero who is an attractive young woman with (now canonically correct) long red hair and the villain is now her exact twin but with short red hair and some how sexier?

Couldn't they get a different actress?
I assumed that it was either a future Elora who had been corrupted, or an illusion by the Worm to get Graydon to comply (like the Crone had done to Airk)

figmentPez

Staff member
Star Wars: Visions season 2 is going global, with studios from around the world getting a chance to tell non-canon animated Star Wars stories.

Aardman, “I Am Your Mother”—Makers of the claymated Wallace & Gromit series

Cartoon Saloon, “Screecher’s Reach”—An Irish studio responsible for The Secret of Kells, Wolfwalkers, and The Breadwinner

D’Art Shtajio, “The Pit”—A Japanese anime studio who’ve helped out on many an anime series, but also created alt-country singer Sturgill Simpson’s absolutely wild Sound & Fury film (you can currently watch it on Netflix)

88 Pictures, “The Bands of Golak”—An Indian studio that made Guillermo del Toro’s kids series Trollhunters for Netflix

• El Guiri Studios, “Sith”—A Spanish studio led by Rodrigo Blaas, who worked on several Pixar films

• Punkrobot, “In the Stars”—A Chilean animation house responsible for many kids series I have not heard of, but look pretty neat

• Studio La Cachette, “The Spy Dancer”—A French studio that animated Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal series

• Studio Mir, “Journey to the Dark Head”—The excellent Korean studio behind The Legend of Korra, The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf, and DOTA: Dragon’s Blood

• Triggerfish, “Aau’s Song”—Makers of several BBC shorts, based in South Africa

Star Wars: Visions season 2 is going global, with studios from around the world getting a chance to tell non-canon animated Star Wars stories.

Aardman, “I Am Your Mother”—Makers of the claymated Wallace & Gromit series

Cartoon Saloon, “Screecher’s Reach”—An Irish studio responsible for The Secret of Kells, Wolfwalkers, and The Breadwinner

D’Art Shtajio, “The Pit”—A Japanese anime studio who’ve helped out on many an anime series, but also created alt-country singer Sturgill Simpson’s absolutely wild Sound & Fury film (you can currently watch it on Netflix)

88 Pictures, “The Bands of Golak”—An Indian studio that made Guillermo del Toro’s kids series Trollhunters for Netflix

• El Guiri Studios, “Sith”—A Spanish studio led by Rodrigo Blaas, who worked on several Pixar films

• Punkrobot, “In the Stars”—A Chilean animation house responsible for many kids series I have not heard of, but look pretty neat

• Studio La Cachette, “The Spy Dancer”—A French studio that animated Genndy Tartakovsky’s Primal series

• Studio Mir, “Journey to the Dark Head”—The excellent Korean studio behind The Legend of Korra, The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf, and DOTA: Dragon’s Blood

• Triggerfish, “Aau’s Song”—Makers of several BBC shorts, based in South Africa
This is an amazing opportunity for these studios. I bet you anything Disney does this as a test for these studios for potential future projects.

If I'm going to be real, I think the only way Cartoon Saloon wins a deserved Oscar for Best Animated Film is by being owned by Disney... because the academy sure as fuck isn't going to see their work.

2009 for Book of Kells? Nope, UP wins.
2014 for Song of the Sea? Nope, Big Hero 6 beats it AND How to Train Your Dragon 2.
Wolfwalkers didn't even get nominated because Apple wouldn't do the small release.

By the way, would the story and Carl's arc be better if the beginning has been placed later in the movie?
Hmm, good question. I'm leaning towards no. By making it the prologue, it informs his character and actions throughout the whole movie. Putting an extended flashback in the middle of an adventure style story would kill the pacing. If they had put it in the middle, it likely would've been cut shorter for time and pacing, reducing its impact.

So Patrick Stewart mentioned he's been told to be on "Standby" on playing Professor X again and I saw it pointed it out that has anyone died in more movies as the same character? Professor X has died three frickin' times onscreen!

So Patrick Stewart mentioned he's been told to be on "Standby" on playing Professor X again and I saw it pointed it out that has anyone died in more movies as the same character? Professor X has died three frickin' times onscreen!
Bruce Wayne's parents? (Yeah, not always the same actors, though.)