The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

Since they announced the main cast, a bunch of middle-aged white men have been raging against the idea of a biracial girl playing Snow White. These are the same weirdos who bitched about a black Ariel.
If I’m ever watching a review of a film or trailer and the term “too woke” is used I’m immediately done with the review. It’s a cop-out complaint every time and should never be used to critically evaluate any film.

Moana 2 and Incredibles 3 look like they will be fun.

The rest looks like the usual boring schlock Disney has been churning out lately.

What's with the incredibly bad CGI for the seven dwarves in the Snow White trailer?

What I'd really like is for them to leave classic animated movies alone, but remake some of their more mediocre movies instead. Aristocats, Fox and the Hound, and Oliver & Company could use a fresher live-action version.

Disney wants a wrongful death lawsuit thrown out because the plaintiff had Disney+

Disney lawyers are claiming that the agreement to Disney+ and the fine print for buying tickets to the park, mean that someone can't get a court trial and must go through binding arbitration instead.
Hopefully this case will put to rest the belief that you can ever sign your rights away. I’m not fully sure that it will with the make up of the Supreme Court but even they might think that signing up for a streaming service meaning that you can’t sue for wrongful death is a step too far.

I doubt it's going to stand up, anyway.
If they said "we print on the back of the tickets that buying them means everything in the park goes to arbitration" that might actually stick (up to a point - there's a difference between negligence, error and willful endangerment etc etc) - but Disney+ is a different subsidiary company. If they stretch that EULA to cover ALL companies owned whole or in part by Disney, that would be...Quite an overreach. And so abusable as to be laughable.

My theory is that these remakes are how they are extending the expiration of their IPs.
Possible, but they have been taking pretty big losses or at best minor profits to do so... I can't figure out how they can stay afloat while constantly losing money (money laundering scam at a huge level?)

Possible, but they have been taking pretty big losses or at best minor profits to do so... I can't figure out how they can stay afloat while constantly losing money (money laundering scam at a huge level?)
Hollywood accounting meant that the SW OT didn't officially make money until the mid 90's or something like that.

So likely they're not losing as much as it seems.

Hollywood accounting meant that the SW OT didn't officially make money until the mid 90's or something like that.

So likely they're not losing as much as it seems.
Maybe, but their toy sales are in the toilet, Star Wars merchandise doesn't sell like it used to and the actual movie revenues vs their budgets and advertising costs are looking really bad. Their stock is at a 5 year low. Bob Iger is mismanaging the brand hard.

I'm obviously a whopping sample size of one but I haven't been very happy with much of the new Star Wars stuff (episode 7 and onward). I did really enjoy Rogue One, Andor, The Mandalorian seasons 1 & 2... but that's kind of it. The rest was either just average or really disappointing (in my opinion of course).

Maybe, but their toy sales are in the toilet, Star Wars merchandise doesn't sell like it used to and the actual movie revenues vs their budgets and advertising costs are looking really bad. Their stock is at a 5 year low. Bob Iger is mismanaging the brand hard.
I agree they’re having some trouble, but you’re missing the person that started the slide, Iger has actually improved many situations since he came back. Bob Chapek is the person that did so much damage across Disney, he was essentially just a numbers guy that wanted to monetize as much of Disney as he could and cut costs into the bone. I’m sure that we wouldn’t have had any of the good announcements that we had just a week ago at D23. That’s why animation is stuck with just a slate of sequels (we really don’t need Toy Story 5) and nothing solid about new stuff in the works.

It's worth remembering that Disney's Parks and Experiences are their most profitable operation by far, even if they bring in less than all of their Entertainment (Movies/Games/etc) division. It's not an exaggeration to say that a lot of what Disney does with it's films is to push people to want to go to the park... which is why the general failure of the Star War franchise (and it's very expensive park area and failed hotel) has had such huge repercussions through the company. And Bob Chapek is a big part of the failure of those experiences.

figmentPez

Staff member
Jokes aside, Disney is also claiming that buying tickets to the park also had terms that meant they agreed to binding arbitration.

Which makes it kinda weird that Disney mentioned D+ terms of service at all. The theme park tickets seem far more relevant to the case, even if most people wouldn't think that the terms for the tickets apply to anything outside the parks (and I definitely don't think they should apply if anyone dies, among other things).

Jokes aside, Disney is also claiming that buying tickets to the park also had terms that meant they agreed to binding arbitration.

Which makes it kinda weird that Disney mentioned D+ terms of service at all. The theme park tickets seem far more relevant to the case, even if most people wouldn't think that the terms for the tickets apply to anything outside the parks (and I definitely don't think they should apply if anyone dies, among other things).
Maybe it's just internet bullshit but isn't the restaurant just renting the place from Disney?

Maybe it's just internet bullshit but isn't the restaurant just renting the place from Disney?
It’s complicated and definitely not as straightforward as just a restaurant renting space. I’m not sure I completely understand all the twists in those agreements take.