The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

Disney is pretty good at making even construction stuff fun. When we were in Disneyland Jan. 2019, and they were starting work on Avengers Campus, everything was labeled "Stark Industries" and little Marvel touches on the walls.

Disney is pretty good at making even construction stuff fun. When we were in Disneyland Jan. 2019, and they were starting work on Avengers Campus, everything was labeled "Stark Industries" and little Marvel touches on the walls.
Ehh, I was in EPCOT a few months before quarantine, and most of Future World was all walled off with nothing really cool.

I’m not usually one to toss out hashtags UNironically, but not only does this one feel personal, its potential to literally break the rules which guarantee creators compensation for their work mean that this practice MUST be cast down.

#DisneyMustPay
It looks like Disney may have settled up with Foster, possibly because he was so LOUD about it. But there are many others who have said, "That's great for Alan, but what about the rest of us?"
And thus was the DisneyMustPay Joint Task Force formed.
The Task Force is comprised of the following associations that advocate for writers and their rights: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc., (SFWA), the Author's Guild, Horror Writers Association (HWA), National Writers Union, Novelists, Inc., Romance Writers of America (RWA), and Sisters in Crime.

The Disney Task Force was formed to identify and guide authors who may be owed money due to the discontinuance of royalties and statements for media tie-in creative works. This issue first came to our attention because authors were not being paid for properties owned by Disney. Over time, we’ve discovered more authors have been similarly affected.
So if you happen to know of anyone else affected by this, please point them in the direction of that website.

--Patrick

Loved Bad Batch. I was wondering how they were going to handle Order 66 with them, and I think it makes sense.

The characters and details were great, and it reinforces my belief that all of Star Wars needs to be turned over to Dave Filoni, because he actually pays attention and gives a shit about continuity and building a connected universe.
Caleb Dume--well, that's a big start to the series! And a nice glimpse into Kanan's backstory.

Echo freaking out when he wakes up with a medical droid over him. I'm happy they remembered what happened to him. Poor guy has gotta have some PTSD from being held by the Techno Union. And that his inhibitor chip would likely have been destroyed due to his cybernetics.

Omega--I love her. She's fun and sassy, and it seems like she'll be the ray of sunshine for the Bad Batch. She was imitating Hunter: hero worship or is that how she learns? I love that the clones apparently have a little sister and I'm looking forward to learning her backstory and to see where she goes. If the blaster was a hint (and given Ahsoka's character arc), hopefully becoming a badass clone trooper!

I have a feeling that after his chip is dealt with, Crosshair is NOT going to be happy about having his mind fucked with by the Empire.

Hunter, the mercenary with a heart of gold. The scene on Onderon with Saw Gererra was really good. And I love that as soon as they found out Omega was a modified clone like them, he was instantly, "We're going back for her."

I look forward to learning that Gaston's parents were killed by books.
I assume it'll be the Gaston from the Live Action version, so "soldier in the war" rather than "spoiled rich son of village elder". We'll now find out it was a War on Books.

We'll also learn how or why the Witch came to cast the spell on the Beast! Because, apparently the explanation given in the intro to the movie isn't enough?

Honestly, I'm not against prequels per se and I'm not against giving villains a decent backstory, but they really are milking it. I personally look forward to learning about Scar's troubled youth being bullied and oppressed by Mufasa, and how he got his scar. Oh, and I'm sure Jafar was a spunky poor youth who had to get his powers and wealth by himself and thus can't abide upstarts who get magical help.

Can't do prequels with the heroes? Well then let's give the villains a relatable backstory! It worked with Maleficent, so let's try it with a literal puppy killer next! Then, let's keep going no matter what!
The thing is, Maleficent worked because it was a retelling of the same story but different. It was not just a prequel where it's assumed all the same stuff as the old animated movie happens. They even have points where Maleficent attempted to remove the sleeping curse and it ended up being her love for Aurora that broke the spell, and all that. It was more a retelling of Sleeping Beauty.

The issue with these true prequels that end right before the old movies start, is you have to assume all the same stuff that happened in the animated movie happens right after this movie ends. Cruella may humanize her, but it ends right as Pongo and Purdy are brought together, so you have to assume some puppy kidnapping and attempted murder are about to happen soon. The same will likely happen with Gaston.

Childbirth? That is what they are hung up on?

Yeesh, this and the controversy with DC and the Harley Quinn show recently makes me wonder how out of touch executives can be.

My guess is they think it’ll make kids ask questions that some parents don’t want to have to talk about. I’m sure it’s easier to not air it than to deal with any backlash.

We love Bluey in this house, even though Li'l Z has long moved past the little kid shows. Anything with Bandit, especially when his brothers are around, is hilarious.

Sigh, Disney is at it again.

After failing to copyright Hakuna Matada and Día de los Muertos, they are now trying something similar with the Norse Gods.

Basically going after those Esty like websites that sell kitch items and getting them to take down anything and everything related to the English names for the Norse gods.

Dave

Staff member
Normally I'd agree with this, but a lot of what I've seen is them going after depictions of said Norse gods looking an awful lot like Tom and Chris. Which would be appropriate.

And I'm not a Disney fan by any stretch. I think their company is pretty evil. That evil affected me directly.

Normally I'd agree with this, but a lot of what I've seen is them going after depictions of said Norse gods looking an awful lot like Tom and Chris. Which would be appropriate.

And I'm not a Disney fan by any stretch. I think their company is pretty evil. That evil affected me directly.
Yes, from what I've seen they are specifically going after people that are creating materials to sell which use imagery from the MCU, or a strong resemblance. And the creators on Etsy are trying to paint it as an overreach.

What bothers me is the sweeping application of it. Everything with the words get flagged.

Sorry Low Ki, professional wrestler, no merch for you!

Sorry, Mjolnir pendant seller, you must now use Scandinavian circa 900 CE inspired jewelry.

What bothers me is the sweeping application of it. Everything with the words get flagged.

Sorry Low Ki, professional wrestler, no merch for you!

Sorry, Mjolnir pendant seller, you must now use Scandinavian circa 900 CE inspired jewelry.
While I agree with you, I feel like one of the key rules of Etsy is you gotta keep that shit on the down low.

Everyone knows it's a giant field of copyright infringement, that's why you keep your head down so you don't ruin it for everyone else.

Yeah, I support Disney protecting themselves. But I guess it's the stores response that bugs me, as it inconveniences the legitimate sellers.

Finally watched Luca. This is the first time something from Pixar straight up felt like a Studio Ghibli feature (and the numerous shout-outs to Ghibli features certainly helped). I'd rate it after Ratatouille, putting at my second favorite Pixar film ever.
Agreed, an UTTERLY charming film. Kinda amazed Disney didn't make it Premier access.