Export thread

The Future is Now!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/03/19/japan.malaria.mosquitoe.vaccine/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Japanese genetically engineer mosquito so that they transmit malaria vaccine in their saliva.

It's like rain, on your wedding day.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Did none of them SEE "I am Legend?" :p

Dave

Dave

Yay! We don't have malaria!

Rob King

Rob King

Sir Francis Bacon would be dancing with glee.

WolfOfOdin

Calleja

Calleja

I am Legend was about VAMPIRES, dammit!!!! :angry:

Kitty Sinatra

It's like rain, on your wedding day.
I'd say it's more like a free ride when you're already there.

Gusto

Gusto

What? No.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It's like being crushed in an anvil factory.... by a falling piano.

Odie

Basically this is just using an animal for what it naturally already does, in a round about way this would be like using dolphins to fish for tuna (which we already do). What i would be really interested in is when/if they can develop a workable "vaccine". More then likely the US ARMY or the Gates foundation would find the next cure, though there have been several so called cures before which did work for a period of time.

Chazwozel

I haven't read the paper from the study but this guy's lab uses baculovirus as a vector for intranasal protection in mice. I'm going to laugh when malaria, going through its life cycles, infects these mosquitoes making them carriers of both the parasite and the vector, and essentially gets 'injected' at the same time as the baculovirus vector. Normally the parasite induces apoptotic deletion of vaccine-specific memory B cells, long-lived plasma cells, and CD4+ T cells, resulting in failure of the naturally boosting antibody response to malaria parasites during infection. So now you get carriers that also harbor this recombinant malaria protein which is supposed to circumvent that bypass of immunological memory, but can't due to the the malaria fuckers getting to work before it has a chance to be effective.

Rob King

Rob King

[SCIENCE!]
Oh, hush you. Some of us want to be wizards.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I haven't read the paper from the study but this guy's lab uses baculovirus as a vector for intranasal protection in mice. I'm going to laugh when malaria, going through its life cycles, infects these mosquitoes making them carriers of both the parasite and the vector, and essentially gets 'injected' at the same time as the baculovirus vector. Normally the parasite induces apoptotic deletion of vaccine-specific memory B cells, long-lived plasma cells, and CD4+ T cells, resulting in failure of the naturally boosting antibody response to malaria parasites during infection. So now you get carriers that also harbor this recombinant malaria protein which is supposed to circumvent that bypass of immunological memory, but can't due to the the malaria fuckers getting to work before it has a chance to be effective.
Okay, so, if I follow what you're saying here, basically:

?

KCWM

KCWM

LOL @ FP