The Great Canadian Road Trip

Sooo, as many of you know, @Eriol and I are moving in early May. We are going from BC (Western Canada) to Newfoundland (Eastern Maritime Canada). Across (almost) all mainland timezones in North America (stupid Alaska), and spending the night in each of the 10 provinces.

The route looks like this. (6,433 km/3,997 mi)
canada.png

For a sense of scale, the same distance (as close as I could get) in Euope/Asia looks like this. (6,438 km/4,001 mi) Yes, that is indeed France to almost Mongolia.asia.png

We have 'free' days in Saskatoon (because I'm convocating there), and in Halifax (because I used to live there, and it's awesome).

For folks who have done long ass drives before, any suggestions? I've done a similar trip before, but it was with with my mom and many years ago. Eriol... hasn't been east of Regina. I'd rather we not kill each other. My iPod only holds so much, and no data plan is good enough to stream videos the whole way. (Nor is the cell coverage good enough.)

Also, any must-see locations along the route? As is stands, we will be stopping in: Calgary (in-laws), Saskatoon (convocation/university stuff), Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, North Bay, Montreal, Fredericton, Charlottetown, Halifax, and Sydney before catching the ferry.

I still think it's interesting/horrifying that it's possible to go/move further in Canada than this, but not by much. Like we could have started in the Northern Yukon (Dawson City or something), and gone all the way to St. John's, but that's about it. That wouldn't be dramatically further.

Bring lots of books for when you're not driving. When you are, I find music that is fast enough it doesn't put you asleep, but not so fast you get angry, works well. Stuff you almost forget is playing until the album is done. Personally I like alt country and bluegrass.

No ideas on sightseeing. Unless you want to dip down into Minnesota a couple hundred miles and make it an even longer ride.

This is like my dream trip. If you guys wanna hang out in Halifax whenever you make it here, look me up. In fact, I bet @HCGLNS and his main squeeze would join along, too.

So I'm a huge fan of singing on road trips, at least part way. It keeps me engaged. When are you leaving? You should request playlists from the forum!

I recommend stopping at least every three hours just to stretch for a minute or two and hop back in the car. Longer stops p.r.n.

Also, when will you be in Calgary? I may have cause to be there; we could grab a bite or a drink or you could run me down as I cross the street or something.

This is like my dream trip. If you guys wanna hang out in Halifax whenever you make it here, look me up. In fact, I bet @HCGLNS and his main squeeze would join along, too.
We are hoping to arrive in Halifax on May 17, and it would be fantastic to have a chance to meet some folks! The more the merrier!

I see you're dodging all the cool parts of Ontario. :(
Aaaw. We're trying to be relatively efficient about this, so we can't get to all the places. And Ontario is freaking huge!

What are your plans in the Montreal region?
Just staying the night. The drive that day is 7+ hours, and the next day is even longer. So not an overabundance of time. That said – any ideas? Mandatory poutinery?

So I'm a huge fan of singing on road trips, at least part way. It keeps me engaged. When are you leaving? You should request playlists from the forum!

I recommend stopping at least every three hours just to stretch for a minute or two and hop back in the car. Longer stops p.r.n.

Also, when will you be in Calgary? I may have cause to be there; we could grab a bite or a drink or you could run me down as I cross the street or something.
The movers are here on May 6th, we leave on the 7th, and would be in Calgary that night. If you happen to be in town, I think a beverage would be an excellent idea. We'll probably be having dinner with @Eriol 's parents, but after that we should be free to roam.

And consider this my request for playlists! Forumites! Recommend me some new musics!

Oh man! Where are you dudes settling up this way? :D
No where near you! :( We're at the other end of the island where the ferry comes in. Only a, what, 9 hour drive from you? (I recall you being near St. John's.)

What Grub said. Google seems to think it's like 80 or something, the posted limit is generally 100, and it's safe to go... well, it's the prairies, draw your own conclusions.

GasBandit

Staff member
In the deserts of New Mexico, where the posted speed limit was 80, in college I would often do 121 betwen Socorro and Albuquerque. That was orange line in 5th gear for my poor, abused (and to nobody's surprise, eventually dead by melted piston head) Mazda MX6-GT turbo.

However I don't recommend that for hours at a stretch. You hit one little shred of destroyed tire rubber, you go flipping through the air and do the...

Last edited:
In the deserts of New Mexico, where the posted speed limit was 80, in college I would often do 121 betwen Socorro and Albuquerque.
For reference this is 80kph that Google thinks the limit is for much of it. Not 80mph (128kph). Usually posted to between 100-110kph (68-ish mph at the high end). I've driven across South Dakota, and I wish the posted limit was like it was there, but unfortunately it isn't.

GasBandit

Staff member
For reference this is 80kph that Google thinks the limit is for much of it. Not 80mph (128kph). Usually posted to between 100-110kph (68-ish mph at the high end). I've driven across South Dakota, and I wish the posted limit was like it was there, but unfortunately it isn't.
.. Is that technically even "driving?"

We generally don't stop you until you go beyond 120.

Well, I generally didn't stop people until they went beyond 120.

GasBandit

Staff member
We generally don't stop you until you go beyond 120.

Well, I generally didn't stop people until they went beyond 120.
I know you mean KPH, but funnily enough, one time I was headed back to Socorro at night doing my customary 121 mph (Yes, I was 18 and secure in my invulnerability), when my radar detector went nuts, and too late I saw the dim blur of a vehicle on the side of the road with only its parking lights on (couldn't tell but I'm assuming it was a police car).

Oddly enough, they did not fire up the sirens and chase me down or anything. Didn't even start up. Perhaps he thought by the time he got up to speed I'd be miles and miles away.

Ironically, when I did get a ticket? Was driving home to colorado for thanksgiving going a mere stately-by-comparison 100mph (160kph). That was as high as the cruise control would let me set, and I didn't want to have to go 7 hours on pedal. Sometimes I still wonder if that cop also would have not even tried if I'd been doing 121 (195kph).

Wow, the speed limit through this county on the interstate is 75mph/120kph.

Then in the really low population areas it is 80mph/129kph.

I can't imagine driving 60 mph/100kph across such a large, low population density area.

Most Canadians who have had to drive across the prairies will tell you in no uncertain terms that the speed limits on the highways are way too low. (They're a little sluggish in BC as well, but the roads are so twisty that most don't notice or complain... as much.)

In New York, the speed limit is 65 for the most part. And I'm talking down I-90 when there is nothing but trees and speed traps. My mom panics at the 75mph posted speeds around here, even though I feel like if it was any lower I would fall asleep driving anywhere. :p

Sounds like you arriving on the long weekend. Best have a place to stay reserved. And all the fun stuff sshould be open.

For Winnipeg you can visit:

The Forks: http://www.theforks.com/
T
he Manitoba Museum: http://www.manitobamuseum.ca/
(While I like the science gallery you could save the money and skip it as it is small and the displays are aimed for elementary grade kids. Haven't been to the planetarium in awhile so I don't know what it is like now.)
http://www.manitobamuseum.ca/
While it will not be open till September if you go to the forks you will be able to see the outside of the Museum for Human Rights: http://humanrights.ca/home

Assiniboine Park which has a zoo as well as the Leo Mol sculpture garden: http://www.assiniboinepark.ca/index.php

The Forks is cool - a friend and I wandered around there one day last April before I had to catch a flight.
I like the idea of Assiniboice Park. We'll see what all we have time for. I think that day is one of the longest driving days, so we shall see!

Thanks for the suggestions!

figmentPez

Staff member
I can't imagine driving 60 mph/100kph across such a large, low population density area.
60 mph/100kph is the speed limit for Highway 59, right through the heart of Houston. Not that you can move that fast at rush hour, but still... It's even 65+ out near the suburbs and beyond.

60 mph/100kph is the speed limit for Highway 59, right through the heart of Houston. Not that you can move that fast at rush hour, but still... It's even 65+ out near the suburbs and beyond.
I don't know, I drive faster in Houston than I do anywhere else on the planet...

But I avoid rush hour like the plague.

Houston rush hour is damned deadly.
What scares me about H-town traffic, are all the people that don't know what the different lanes are for. Especially OK'ies white-knuckle driving in the left lane at 50mph, and Sub-urbanites doing 85mph in the right/merging lanes.

Let me know what you plans are exactly regarding your drive-by Montreal and I'll try to see what I can do for you.

We're moving to the other side of the island from this:

When the potholes are so big you can crouch in them and disappear, there's clearly a problem.

I came to post this!

I wish Top Gear still had their pot hole contest still on the go.
I wish top Gear USA was anywhere near half as good as Top Gear. Due to a lack of Top Gear we're now getting reruns of USA, and frankly, it's....horribly meh. it's a semi-decent car show with not enough info that tries too hard to be not really funny.

In North Bay, Ontario. My GOD is Northern Ontario long, and the same.

And who the FUCK thought it was a good idea to have 90kph as the limit outside of Sault Ste. Marie? On STRAIGHT roads. 4-lane divided! And actually GOOD roads, unlike the rest of the roads in Ontario, which are all shit. Seriously, Ontario highways suck balls. Worse than B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba. They just really REALLY suck. Are the OPP and the car repair shops in cahoots? Make it 90kph so that everybody gets tickets, and have the highway absolute crap so that you need lots of repairs? Or what? Are the OPP dragging off to jail the highway repair crews or something?

Through our nation's capital tomorrow (Get a picture on Parliament hill) and then to stay in Montreal (or nearby) tomorrow night.