The Internet will never satisfy its lust for Net Neutrality and Bandwidth

Obviously I'd prefer it back at the federal level, but the reason nothing has changed even after it got banned was because California passed a law requiring it, and the cable companies found it to be not worth it to have a seperate system for one state and not the rest (especially since likely every blue state would've followed suit if they had to)

Previously, in order to advertise as "broadband," all that was required was 25/3. This means that the majority of DSL connections can no longer be classified as "broadband," since at-the-home DSL speeds higher than 25Mbps are not common in the USA.
More importantly, this might, MIGHT, affect coverage maps and surveys which seek to determine whether or not certain areas have more than one competing "broadband" provider, since anyone who can't provide BOTH a 100Mbps downstream speed and a 20Mbps upstream speed will not be allowed to call themselves "broadband."

--Patrick

Previously, in order to advertise as "broadband," all that was required was 25/3. This means that the majority of DSL connections can no longer be classified as "broadband," since at-the-home DSL speeds higher than 25Mbps are not common in the USA.
More importantly, this might, MIGHT, affect coverage maps and surveys which seek to determine whether or not certain areas have more than one competing "broadband" provider, since anyone who can't provide BOTH a 100Mbps downstream speed and a 20Mbps upstream speed will not be allowed to call themselves "broadband."

--Patrick
thus why i just got a free upgrade to my comcast fiber speeds! LOL

Sometimes I feel like a luddite when it comes to Internet speeds because I'm perfectly happy with my 30 down / 1 up connection. Just a couple of years ago I had something like a 12 Mbps download speed and I was still completely satisfied. I wouldn't know what to do with 100 Mbps.

Sometimes I feel like a luddite when it comes to Internet speeds because I'm perfectly happy with my 30 down / 1 up connection. Just a couple of years ago I had something like a 12 Mbps download speed and I was still completely satisfied. I wouldn't know what to do with 100 Mbps.
Like another forumite, you could set up a media server and grant us all access to your hoard. Of course we might all be horrified and traumatized, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

More seriously, working from home through a VPN and then through another tunnel reduces my bandwidth by a factor ten or something, and having video meetings and conferences takes quite a bit of it.

Dave

Staff member
Best update EVER! Only trouble is it happened during an election year so unless we get out & make sure Trump doesn't get back in to fuck things up again....Trump will get back in and fuck things up again.

Been following this all day. Along with all the people who are saying that the only thing this means is more governmental overreach and snooping into our online communications.

--Patrick