The Internet will never satisfy its lust for Net Neutrality and Bandwidth

Yeah... I'm really hoping the Biden administration passes some legislation to get lines updated. The US is using some of the oldest high speed lines in existence, mostly because the telecoms don't want to replace them.

I have a friend with AT&T internet. STaying at his house is TORTURE. It's so shitty.
I still remember staying at some relatives house in a suburb of Paris in the early '00s... their internet was so horrible...

At least the german relatives lived in some small town near a city, so i assumed the shitty net was because of that.

I wonder if their net is better nowadays.

What also helps is when cable companies start getting nervous that towns will start their own internet services. Comcast upgraded our shit and prices really quick when Longmont made their own municipal internet and neighboring towns started considering doing the same.

Telus here in Canada is the same. Best I can get is 50 mbs from them, but my friends literally two blocks away get gigabit fiber. The fiber is here, they just dun wanna.

What also helps is when cable companies start getting nervous that towns will start their own internet services. Comcast upgraded our shit and prices really quick when Longmont made their own municipal internet and neighboring towns started considering doing the same.
I actually watched a story of a guy who lives around here just starting up his own. He got funding by pre-selling to all his neighbors, ran his own lines and everything. Just amazing.

abouttime.png

source

Now, barely a week later, Epstein's home in North Hollywood, California, has AT&T fiber service with unlimited data and advertised speeds of 300Mbps in both directions. In a speed test yesterday, download speeds were 363Mbps and upload speeds were 376Mbps. It's a gigantic upgrade over the "up to" 3Mbps DSL he and his wife, Anne, struggled with before.
--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Maybe I should take out an ad in the WSJ, I've never gotten my full advertised download speed, much less more than.

NCTA–The Internet & Television Association, which represents Comcast, Charter, Cox, and other cable companies, argued that Biden's plan is "a serious wrong turn." NCTA is particularly mad that Biden wants to expand municipal broadband networks that could fill gaps where there's no high-speed broadband from private ISPs and lower prices by providing competition to cable companies that usually dominate their regional territories. "The White House has elected to go big on broadband infrastructure, but it risks taking a serious wrong turn in discarding decades of successful policy by suggesting that the government is better suited than private-sector technologists to build and operate the Internet"
source

Well, considering how the Internet ORIGINATED IN THE FIRST PLACE...
You'd think a group of people calling themselves "The Internet & Television Association" would know the history of the Internet.

--Patrick

For mobile only, it appears? Nothing for you to check your desktop or laptop.
I know, not as complete as they probably hoped.

The mobile app appears to have been around for a few years (it's just the data aggregation that's new). Here's hoping they add some kind of desktop option.

--Patrick

Altice is reducing cable-Internet upload speeds by up to 86% next month
alticecover.png
Why are they doing this, you ask?
Altice claimed that its cable network isn't having any trouble offering its current advertised speeds. "Our network continues to perform very well despite the significant data usage increases during the pandemic and the speed tiers we offer," the company said. The upload-speed change is apparently being implemented not to solve any network problem but to match the slower upload speeds offered by other cable ISPs. Altice [said] that it is changing its cable upload speeds to bring them "in line with other ISPs and aligned with the industry."
In other words: "We decided to lower our speeds once we realized we accidentally hadn't made our service as shitty as everyone else's."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, my ISP (Suddenlink) got bought by Altice. I'm grumpy about this, though supposedly my plan will be grandfathered so it won't go down, and even if it was, the gigabit plan is only going from 50 to 35 up. But most of the reason I got gigabit was for that 50 up, because I know you never fucking get a gig down (it's rare I get better than 500 down).

Yeah, my ISP (Suddenlink) got bought by Altice. I'm grumpy about this, though supposedly my plan will be grandfathered so it won't go down, and even if it was, the gigabit plan is only going from 50 to 35 up. But most of the reason I got gigabit was for that 50 up, because I know you never fucking get a gig down (it's rare I get better than 500 down).
When i get to texas in Aug, I'll be on suddenlink. But I'm part of the problem, because I 'm not a prolific uploader. 35 up will suit me fine, and I'm not going to make a stink about it. heh

GasBandit

Staff member
When i get to texas in Aug, I'll be on suddenlink. But I'm part of the problem, because I 'm not a prolific uploader. 35 up will suit me fine, and I'm not going to make a stink about it. heh
Just be aware that suddenlink LIES about everything.

I have the "gigabit" package, which promises "up to" 980 mbit down, 50 up.

Speedtest.net to Navasota (which every ISP now knows it needs to fake):
1624817468622.png

fast.com test (to netflix, to check for throttling, but ISPs are getting wise now)
1624817548653.png

Speedof.me (which most ISPs haven't figured out they need to fake out yet)
1624817626767.png

Testmy.net results, which are similarly not yet in their fakery sights

1624817729465.png

DSLreports.com/speedtest , which used to be a go-to, but looks like it's as unreliable as speedtest.net now.
1624817881936.png

And just for giggles, here's the google Stadia speed test to see if your connection is good enough to play on Stadia -

1624818249377.png

Downloads from steam seem to vary from moment to moment and are probably more steam's fault than anything, but I usually get 100-200mbit and only very occasionally 400ish mbit

Last edited: