The Lego appreciation thread

Oh good, someone posted the Lego Narnia.
The one I got linked to was something the media add-on didn't understand.

--Patrick

Daft Lego - Harder Better Faster Stronger

Also, JK Brickworks, who has a number of creations posted to this thread, had a design picked for a Lego Ideas set!

It doesn't look like Lego got the memo.

Warner Brothers is trying to make Aquaman cool, and possibly still "grimdark". You wouldn't know it by looking at this year's exclusive at San Diego ComicCon:

The latest Lego Ideas set has been revealed:
21311 – LEGO® Ideas Voltron

21311 – LEGO® Ideas Voltron
2321 pieces | Ages 16+
Price: $179.99
Available August 1, 2018. LEGO VIP Early Access: Jul 23, 2018.
**Limited quantities will be available for purchase first for attendees at San Diego’s Comic-Con (7/17-22)

Let’s go Voltron force in LEGO® style!
It’s time to defend the universe so get ready to form LEGO® Ideas 21311 Voltron, the biggest buildable LEGO mech ever! This awesome set features buildable and highly posable black, blue, yellow, red and green lions with specially designed, extra-strong joints to combine them all and create the Voltron super robot, plus a huge sword and shield that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands. Ideal for display or to recreate thrilling action from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.

• Features 5 buildable and posable lions that can be transformed and combined to create the giant Voltron super robot.
  • Play with the lions individually or combine them using extra-strong joints to form Voltron—the black lion forms the head and torso; the red and green lions form the arms; and the yellow and blue lions form the legs.
  • Pose the head, shoulders, arms and wrists of Voltron (legs are not posable).
  • Also includes a sword and shield (each with silver-colored elements) that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands.
  • Includes a booklet with building instructions, plus information about the set’s fan creator and super force of LEGO® designers.
  • This set includes over 2,321 pieces.
  • Display or play out exciting stories from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
  • Voltron measures over 15” (40cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 8” (21cm) wide.
  • Black lion measures over 6” (17cm) high, 8” (22cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
  • Yellow and blue lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 3” (8cm) wide.
  • Green and red lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 7” (18cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.
  • Voltron’s sword measures 11” (29cm) long.
  • Voltron’s shield measures 6” (16cm) in diameter.
(Brothers Brick)

Lego has been teasing a James Bond inspired set. The details are sketchy, but it almost certainly a ~1200 piece Aston Martin DB5. It will be announced on July 18th at the London store. (Brickset)

The new pop-up book set revealed:

The 23rd LEGO Ideas set will be released on November 1st. Here's the press release:

21315 Pop-Up Book, 859 pieces

US $69.99 – CA $89.99 – DE 69.99€ – UK 59.99£ – FR 69.99€ – DK 599DKK – AU $109.99

Enjoy 2 classic fairy tales with this brick-mazing pop-up LEGO book!

Build, play and display the classic fairy tales Little Red Riding Hood and Jack and the Beanstalk with LEGO Ideas 21315 Pop-up Book!

This first-ever buildable pop-up book made from LEGO bricks opens to reveal the famous scene of grandmother’s forest cottage featuring opening door, bed and kitchen area.

Recreate the scene when Little Red Riding Hood meets the wolf or swap out grandmother’s cottage for the scene of the giant’s castle in the clouds.

This collectible toy features enough bricks to build both scenes or you can even build a scene of your own and makes a perfect creative gift. This LEGO set includes a booklet with a short history of pop-up books, a condensed history of each fairy tale in the set, as well as information about its fan designers and LEGO designers.

Includes 4 new-for-November-2018 LEGO minifigures: Little Red Riding Hood, Grandmother, the Wolf, and the Giant. Also includes 1 new-for-November-2018 microfigure: Jack.
First pop-up book in LEGO history features 2 different LEGO fairy tale stories: Little Red Riding Hood and Jack and the Beanstalk.
Build and display or recreate your own stories from 2 classic fairy tales with this imagination toy.
This LEGO Ideas set features enough bricks to build both fairy tales in the set or you can even build your own scene.
Includes a booklet featuring building instructions, a brief history of pop-up books, a short history of the 2 fairy tales in the set, plus information about this amazing classic fairy tale’s fan designers and LEGO designers.
Pop-up book measures over 7” (20cm) long and 5” (13cm) wide when closed, and over 11” (28cm) wide when open.
859 pieces – LEGO Ideas playset for boys and girls aged 12+ and for fans and big kids of all ages; This LEGO Ideas 21315 Pop-up Book building toy can be built together with all other original LEGO sets and LEGO bricks
Build and display or recreate 2 of the best known and most cherished classic fairy tales with this LEGO set: Little Red Riding Hood and Jack and the Beanstalk. You can even build your own scene and mount it in the book (Brickset)

Zappit

Staff member
Been surfing around Amazon, and one thing led to another, and I discovered Mobile Frame Zero.

I am highly intrigued by a Lego robot tabletop game. I read through the rule book, but it seems a bit over-complicated for its own good. I seriously think I can write a better, clearer set of rules for a game like this. I’m falling down a rabbit hole, and I’ve got some kits on the way.

Zappit

Staff member
Going to try writing a tabletop set of rules. Got a few ideas for the name of the game.

Universe of War
Mech Core
Mech Combat
Warcore

Pretty much got everything else figured out save for the name, though I do like Warcore.

"Heritage of Battle"
"Mechamelee"
"Slaughterbots"

I really wanted to make something out of the serendipity that "Manhit" is the name of an Egyptian goddess of war, but it would just be too contrived.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
I decided to go with Warcore. I started posting early drafts of the rules in the Games and More sub forum, and will be updating them frequently.