Export thread

The LEGO Movie

Gryfter

Gryfter

[CONTAINER][POSTER]
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: The LEGO Movie

Genre: [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Animation[/GENRE], [GENRE]Comedy[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Phil Lord[/DIRECTOR], [DIRECTOR]Chris Miller[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Elizabeth Banks[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Channing Tatum[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Morgan Freeman[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Chris Pratt[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Will Arnett[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jonah Hill[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Will Ferrell[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Cobie Smulders[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Liam Neeson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Alison Brie[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Nick Offerman[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Charlie Day[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Dave Franco[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Will Forte[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Anthony Daniels[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2014-02-07[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]100[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]An ordinary Lego mini-figure, mistakenly thought to be the extraordinary MasterBuilder, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil Lego tyrant from gluing the universe together.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]
[DOUBLEPOST=1391794677,1391794644][/DOUBLEPOST]Seeing this tonight but I hear great things about it.

evilmike

evilmike

I saw it last night (of course) and thought it was a lot of fun. The animation is amazing. The choice they made to not deform the bricks to animate them was a very smart choice. I enjoyed most of the humor and there are certainly some laugh out loud moments.

I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

With all of the details that rush by so quickly, I'm definitely planning to see it again.

The critics seem quite happy with the movie. It currently has a Tomatoscore of 98% and a number of the "fresh" reviews are glowingly positive.

strawman

strawman

I'm glad to hear this. My wife wants to take me to the latest teen vampire thing, primarily because we are related to the author of the books and boosting the opening weekend numbers gives her a better chance at a second film. I don't think there's an easy way to explain he relation. Mead is married to the brother of my wife's brother in law. Or, my sister in law's brother in law is married to mead. Oh well. It's closer than my relation to George Lucas, you have to go through a third cousin of my grandmother before you get close to him.

My compromise is that we get to watch the Lego movie afterwards to cleanse my palate.

The trailer for the Lego movie is awesome, though, and it expect I'll see it more than once as I take various children out to see it. That was my excuse for watching frozen three times as well...

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm so glad this is getting good reviews, because I've wanted to see this since the first trailer. I was worried it was going to be one of those movies that look good at first glance, but turn out to be a disappointment. I may actually get to see it tomorrow after snowboarding! *fingers crossed*

Dave

Dave

This is getting amazing reviews by everyone who sees it. I really want to see it as well!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The trailer for the Lego movie is awesome, though, and it expect I'll see it more than once as I take various children out to see it. That was my excuse for watching frozen three times as well...
Along with putting yourself into debt paying for all your kids' admission. :p

strawman

strawman

Our theaters are pretty reasonable if you are careful. One has $5 Wednesdays. Another one has a twilight pricing between 4 and 6 pm that's under $5.

Still expensive for the whole family, but we can afford to go to a few movies a year.[DOUBLEPOST=1391805621,1391805588][/DOUBLEPOST]Used to love the drive in when it had price per carful....

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

My favourite movie critic gave it nothing but glowing praise.

I'm seeing it on Sunday.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I can't wait! I want to take the kids to see it next weekend.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Just saw it... in a word....AWESOME!

Bowielee

Bowielee

I didn't realize this was out already!

Must SEE!

Dei

Dei

Everything is awesome!

strawman

strawman

It really was great. Tons of the same humor you see in the trailer, but also surprisingly touching scenes that got to me, particularly as a father.

They really must have brainstormed for awhile, because they really perfectly captured so many little things about Legos and how children play with them. It felt like inside jokes, but if you've played with Legos a lot, you'll get them.

First action movie in a long time where I didn't hear a wilhelm scream...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, I'm no longer interested.

strawman

strawman

Well, I'm no longer interested.
I'm not saying there wasn't one, just that if there was it was well-disguised.

Shoot, there was even a wilhelm in Vampire Academy.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm not saying there wasn't one, just that if there was it was well-disguised.

Shoot, there was even a wilhelm in Vampire Academy.
You had to watch that? I'm so sorry.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Am I the first person to see this? It was AMAZING. I really really loved the whole third act. It really is a pop culture love letter type movie. And the plot is so paper thin it ALMOST makes me like The Matrix less, but fuck it, there are too many jokes and innovative visual sequences to really dwell on that.

evilmike

evilmike

Everything is awesome!
Indeed.

Also...

Celt Z

Celt Z

I really enjoyed it! My only complaint is that there has been so many commercials played for this, a lot of the jokes weren't the surprise I would have liked them to be (even though they were funny). But there were still some great surprises, and the ending was a nice, and touching, surprise as well.

And none of us can get "Everything is Awesome" out of our heads, which I didn't realize was Tegan & Sara with The Lonely Island until we got home.

MindDetective

MindDetective

We took my 2+ year old yesterday (parent fail or movie patron fail?). He was probably too young to go but we wanted to see how he would handle it. Right after the trippy scene when Emmit touched the cap, there was a moment of dead silence in the theatre, then my son yelled, "I like this movie!!" It got the biggest laugh of the night.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Fine. The whole thing is fucking spoiled. Happy?

I really enjoyed it. Lots of great laughs and some surprisingly clever, subtle messages. For example, at the beginning, there's a subtle message about blindly following th media and quickly forgetting some major news item because of a great song or the latest episode of "Where's My Pants?" Which is incredibly true. The majority of North American culture care more about the Kardashians - or, ironically, this movie - than whatever major, political news might be occurring. I mention all this because it was surprising to see that in a kids movie bent on basically selling Lego.

I also thought the big reveal - that the whole movie was literally a child playing - was brilliant, not to mention incredibly ballsy for what SHOULD have been an easy, safe cash-in movie. I would assume, like myself, that most adults saw it coming a mile away but I bet this was like a "I AM YOUR FATHER!" moment for kids. It wasn't just that it was a twist for twist sake, though, but really played into the idea of how some adults have kind of taken over the toy market in terms of collecting and trying to make it their own. That's generalizing, but you get the idea. What's most interesting is that as a result, Batman becomes the cornerstone of the movie's theme. He's the iconic, once kid-friendly superhero who has become dark, brooding, serious, and adult aimed at a much older audience. So the end message of the movie basically saying, "No no, you can have your toys AND have fun with them, too!" was great.

Animation-wise, I really must tip my hat to the creators and animators for just taking the Lego concept and just running with it as hard as possible. At first, I thought the character movements were stiff, but then I realized that was 100% intentional. It was jarring when we went from reality back to the animated world because I'd suddenly become used to realistic movement again after an hour of purposefully stiff animation.

So yeah, really enjoyed this movie a lot. If I had the money, I'd be going to see it again.

strawman

strawman

Right now we don't have any rules for spoilers in the movies, movies, movies area, and I'd like to think that I could look at reviews here prior to seeing the movie to determine whether to watch it or not.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Right now we don't have any rules for spoilers in the movies, movies, movies area, and I'd like to think that I could look at reviews here prior to seeing the movie to determine whether to watch it or not.
You should weigh in on this discussion if you haven't, then.

evilmike

evilmike

With the success of the movie -- $69 million domestic against a budget of $60 million -- it was only a matter of time before other movies try to copy it. It looks like one major release for this year is already being post-coverted into Lego:

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

This blows. I have been wanting to see this movie since I heard about it, but my wife thinks it looks stupid and no matter how many good reviews I bring up she does not want to see it. Guess I will have to wait till I can just rent it on Redbox. :(

Dei

Dei

ScytheRexx said:
This blows. I have been wanting to see this movie since I heard about it, but my wife thinks it looks stupid and no matter how many good reviews I bring up she does not want to see it. Guess I will have to wait till I can just rent it on Redbox. :(
Or go alone!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I would, but I have to be careful about it, because ever since my son was born my wife can be a little more aggressive then she used to be. When I make free time for myself and she has to worry about the kid, she gets angry and then passive aggressive, even though I offer her the same thing in return (she goes and does something fun, I watch the kid). It's been like that for awhile and thus why I can't even play WoW right now, let alone make movie or personal plans. :( Still, going to try tonight and see if I can make time for this weekend. Trying to avoid spoilers like the plague because supposedly the ending is pretty amazing.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I would, but I have to be careful about it, because ever since my son was born my wife can be a little more aggressive then she used to be. When I make free time for myself and she has to worry about the kid, she gets angry and then passive aggressive, even though I offer her the same thing in return (she goes and does something fun, I watch the kid). It's been like that for awhile and thus why I can't even play WoW right now, let alone make movie or personal plans. :( Still, going to try tonight and see if I can make time for this weekend. Trying to avoid spoilers like the plague because supposedly the ending is pretty amazing.
Spoiler: They're made of Lego.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Spoiler: They're made of Lego.
:rage:

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

We took our kids to see it today. It was a huge hit with all 4 of us!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Was able to sneak off and watch it. Loved it.

Terrik

Terrik

Another movie I'm going to have to watch on PPTV because it's not getting a China release.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It was pretty good. I could have done with a little bit less of the Spazztastic Eplileptivision during the action scenes, but hey, if you're not overstimulating kid's tiny brains, they lose interest, so I can understand it.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Song has been stuck in my head all day. (well other then the Lonely Island chorus, that part is kind of meh)

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Saw it the other night. It was a 10 pm showing and there weren't any kids in the theater, but it was still packed.

"Hey, where are my pants?!"

Dave

Dave

Song has been stuck in my head all day. (well other then the Lonely Island chorus, that part is kind of meh)

Man, our tastes in music are so far apart it's not even funny. I thought that song was annoying as shit. The Lonely Island stuff was the only thing, in my opinion, that was worth listening to in it.

Amazing how differently people see stuff sometimes.

Shawn

Shawn

I hear you Scythe. My wife is pretty much the same deal, as you probably already know. So don't feel bad. Some people say it's a phase, and should get better as the kids get older.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Man, our tastes in music are so far apart it's not even funny. I thought that song was annoying as shit. The Lonely Island stuff was the only thing, in my opinion, that was worth listening to in it. Amazing how differently people see stuff sometimes.
I grew up in the 80s listening to either rock, metal, techno, and/or pop. I love anything with a catchy beat and a decent vocal harmony.

However, I never got into hip hop or rap, and for awhile actually found some of the styling unpleasant to listen to. I grew out of that stage and now listen to various forms, some better then others, but it's still more a tolerance then a desire.

I enjoy the Lonely Island, it's just when they cut into something I am honestly enjoying, taking it over with their shtick, it's a bit more jarring.

Dei

Dei

I was all about buying the song until I found out it has rap in it. :/

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I was all about buying the song until I found out it has rap in it. :/

lol rap is crap right?????

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So I was having a discussion about this movie recently and someone said that, even though adults are almost universally loving the movie, kids are HATING it. Don't know why and I don't know if that's confirmed, but it's interesting to consider. A movie aimed at kids that is liked much more than adults? I think that's a first.

evilmike

evilmike

So I was having a discussion about this movie recently and someone said that, even though adults are almost universally loving the movie, kids are HATING it. Don't know why and I don't know if that's confirmed, but it's interesting to consider. A movie aimed at kids that is liked much more than adults? I think that's a first.
I'd tend to file that under [citation needed]. If GeekDad's report is any indication, kids enjoy the movie as much as the adults do.

Gryfter

Gryfter

*shrug* my son (6) loved it and has seen it twice so...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I didn't buy what he was saying. Just something I'd heard. Thanks for the link that proves otherwise, @evilmike.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The kids in the theater I was in seemed to like it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And Country is the pinnacle of western culture.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well, you can't spell crap without rap.

God I was such an obnoxious 11-17 year old.

GasBandit

GasBandit

evilmike

evilmike

The official set name is even "Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!"

(picture via FBTB)

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I actually felt the side characters were pretty well done (Benny, Metalbeard, Unikitty), even though they were kind of thrown in at what felt like the half way mark.

I think a lot of it was the voice actors fit so well with the roles. I don't think Benny would have worked without the manic, yet loveable voice of Charlie Day.

strawman

strawman

though adults are almost universally loving the movie, kids are HATING it.
I have 4 counterexamples. (the other 3 haven't seen it).

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My kids (8 and 4) both loved. All of my son's friends who have seen it have enjoyed it, too.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I freaking loved this movie!!! SPACESHIP! Not only on my rewatch list, but my list of dvds to buy!

The animation was really good, and I love that they straight up stuck with the lego animation style throughout the entire movie and I don't think they cheated even ONCE.

Shawn

Shawn

I freaking loved this movie!!! SPACESHIP! Not only on my rewatch list, but my list of dvds to buy!

The animation was really good, and I love that they straight up stuck with the lego animation style throughout the entire movie and I don't think they cheated even ONCE.
What is lego animation?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

What is lego animation?
How everything was lego from the explosions, to the flames, to the water, except for when they were underwater but then it would've been a bunch of water bricks and we couldn't see anything under water and I understand completely. I AM FULL OF CHOCOLATE!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What is lego animation?
They didn't morph the blocks, instead they used simulated stop-motion.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And the SMOOTHNESS of it all, that just showed the kind of dedication that has to come from madness. I also love how Benny's helmet was cracked, that was funny.

FINAL NOTE BEFORE CRASHING- I could not tell Metal beard was Nick Offerman, good on him.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

There's no need to keep telling me that these kids or these kids loved it. I was wrong, okay? Christ, it was just something I heard. Obviously, the person who told me was misinformed.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There's no need to keep telling me that these kids or these kids loved it. I was wrong, okay? Christ, it was just something I heard. Obviously, the person who told me was misinformed.
No one is attacking you, they're just confirming that they liked the movie. It's praise for the film, not an attack against you.

evilmike

evilmike

Here is a set that I would not mind owning:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

one of my friends' kids loved it

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Nick, again, I'm sorry you see part of a discussion as an attack on you personally. No one said, "DAMN NICK YOU IDIOT YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT!". Instead we pointed out our own experiences with kids and the movie. I think we all understood that this was something you heard some place else and none of us are holding that against you.

evilmike

evilmike

An announcement that should surprise no one:

The Lego Movie II -- May 26, 2017.
(via FBTB)

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Attack of the Duplons!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This is going to get like Toy Story and really depressing if the kid grows up and the sister goes to college and a 60 year old Will Ferrell is playing with them alone in his basement while his wife has Alzheimer's

Mathias

Mathias

Here is a set that I would not mind owning:
That better come with a double-decker couch.

jwhouk

jwhouk

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Why yes, I just got done watching it, why do you ask?

evilmike

evilmike

That better come with a double-decker couch.
That it should.

The Lego company agrees with us -- the giant MetalBeard's Sea Cow set includes a double decker couch:

jwhouk

jwhouk

I see that that is the largest set in LEGO history.

evilmike

evilmike

I see that that is the largest set in LEGO history.
It is a really massive set, but it is only the eleventh largest retail set by piece count. The top three are:

10189: Taj Mahal

10179: Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon

10214: Tower Bridge

It is also really tall, but there are at least three sets that are taller:

10181: Eiffel Tower

3450: Statue of Liberty

10143: Death Star II

Espy

Espy

I WANT ALL OF THOSE

jwhouk

jwhouk

The LEGO go-to guy: Evilmike.

Shawn

Shawn

Every day I do not see this, is a sad sad day.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Ah ha, sir. AH HAAAAAA!

From IMDB:
WILHELM SCREAM: Wildstyle throws out a biker during the motorcycle chase scene.

For the record, even though I listened for it, I didn't catch it, either. But the fact that it is, indeed, in the movie and confirmed? Officially makes this movie PERFECT.

Shawn

Shawn

Guess what?
Saw it.

:awesome:

jwhouk

jwhouk

EV-RY-THING is AWE-SOMMMMMMEEEEE!

Dave

Dave

Just saw it. Loved it! And my family and I were all surprised by the twist. It had not been spoiled for any of us!

Espy

Espy

Man. I wish I could see this in the theater.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Ah ha, sir. AH HAAAAAA!

From IMDB:
WILHELM SCREAM: Wildstyle throws out a biker during the motorcycle chase scene.

For the record, even though I listened for it, I didn't catch it, either. But the fact that it is, indeed, in the movie and confirmed? Officially makes this movie PERFECT.
I will confirm for you guys it's there, cause I definitely noticed it in theatre.

They also snuck in the dolphin sound that they used in every episode of Clone High.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I will confirm for you guys it's there, cause I definitely noticed it in theatre.

They also snuck in the dolphin sound that they used in every episode of Clone High.
Also, Abraham Lincoln was voiced by Will Forte, who also voiced him in Clone High.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

...Clone High.
:(

damn you, Ashton Kutcher!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

:(

damn you, Ashton Kutcher!
What? What does Kutcher have to do with it?

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

My somewhat misdirected rage at the jackass that is Kutcher.

Here in the US, Clone High was shown on MTV. Usually on Sunday nights iirc around 10pm. The show was probably too smart for an MTV audience, and therefore languished with poor ratings. After airing 8 episodes, the show took a 2 week hiatus, after which was given a permanent vacation due to the fact that the time slot had been filled by some moronic excuse for entertainment. You might remember this show, a stupid, practical joke-on-celebrities piece of garbage hosted by Ashton Kutcher, called Punk'd. Admittedly, this type of show was right up the alley of the MTV demographic, and the rest is history.

Granted, it had no actual effect on the length of the show's run, as the full 13 episode season had been completed & aired in Canada over a year earlier - which I didn't find out until a couple of years later. But that doesn't mean that if the show hadn't been hugely popular in the US, that they wouldn't have commissioned more episodes.

Like I said, mostly just a case of "wrong place, wrong time" for Mr Kutcher. Oh that & the fact that he's a hack.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I remember Clone High being really popular here in Canada, since it aired on Teletoon. Sadly, it had the same fate as another animated series that I personally enjoyed more: Undergrads. They both ended far before they should have.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yeah, I remember Clone High being really popular here in Canada, since it aired on Teletoon. Sadly, it had the same fate as another animated series that I personally enjoyed more: Undergrads. They both ended far before they should have.
I loved Undergrads! I saw it on Teletoon when I was in Ottawa for the International Animation Festival! I would stay up just to catch it. I also tried to find it when I went back home, but no luck. :(

They should have played Clone High and Undergrads back-to-back.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here in the US, Clone High was shown on MTV. Usually on Sunday nights iirc around 10pm. The show was probably too smart for an MTV audience, and therefore languished with poor ratings. After airing 8 episodes, the show took a 2 week hiatus, after which was given a permanent vacation due to the fact that the time slot had been filled by some moronic excuse for entertainment. You might remember this show, a stupid, practical joke-on-celebrities piece of garbage hosted by Ashton Kutcher, called Punk'd. Admittedly, this type of show was right up the alley of the MTV demographic, and the rest is history.
Admittedly, things weren't helped by the protests in India over the portrayal of Ghandi as a sex maniac party guy.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I loved Undergrads! I saw it on Teletoon when I was in Ottawa for the International Animation Festival! I would stay up just to catch it. I also tried to find it when I went back home, but no luck. :(

They should have played Clone High and Undergrads back-to-back.
I think - think - they usually did. Could be wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1394462571,1394462498][/DOUBLEPOST]
Admittedly, things weren't helped by the protests in India over the portrayal of Ghandi as a sex maniac party guy.

evilmike

evilmike

The Lego Movie: How it Should Have Ended (now in stop motion)

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

I think - think - they usually did. Could be wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1394462571,1394462498][/DOUBLEPOST]

OMG!! I just totally realized that Pitbull is really G-Spot from Clone High!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well I'm a bit late to the party, but I finally saw this. Unsurprisingly, I loved it.

It was funny, when we were watching, I asked my fiancee (who had already seen it) if President Business was Will Ferrell and she immediately said yes. I thought it was a bit weird that she was so confident since she isn't normally the type to look up which actors voiced characters. Obviously, I figured out why she was so confident.