[Webcomic] The Order of the Stick thread

I quoted too many funny bits from the comic, and now Kati is reading it through from the beginning for her first time, and I'm along for parts of the ride (for instance, I dug up the decrypto-fied dialogue I solved on my first time through, even though doing so apparently killed my computer).

...I'm hoping (against hope?) that Julio's foreshadowing comes to naught*.

--Patrick
*No, I'm not going to link the specific comic. Go find it yourself. :p

I dunno.. Being a strategic and military genius, but having his plans always foiled because he's a narcissist, seems like a pretty big character flaw to me. If not as a title, I at least deem him worthy as an honorary Idiot :p

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but I hate psionics.

V, want a hint on how to beat her? Use your spells or familiar to snatch up all those little gems floating around her head. They're enhancing her power.

Man. I can't believe how much I want to see Tarquin die in the most painful way possible.[DOUBLEPOST=1386431746,1386431521][/DOUBLEPOST]But I have a bad feeling that Julio is going to take Tarquin on a free fall with him.

Burlew's desktop died, so what was going to be a double comic today is now ETA unknown while he sees if he can salvage it off his hard drive or if he has to restart from scratch.

@RichBurlew17m
My hard drive is a brick, and my backup failed. But the backup to the backup succeeded, albeit w/o much of the stuff I did after Nov 11.

@RichBurlew16m
OOTS 931-934 originals are gone. I'll have to recreate hi-res versions for the book using the lo-res online ones as a guide.

@RichBurlew13m
Originals for new t-shirts also gone, except for Unicorn Princess who was hiding out on my laptop because she's just that badass.

@toarrispirate12m @RichBurlew What about your work on 935? Also gone I presume? Bad situation in any case. Sorry, man.

@RichBurlew @toarrispirate Yep. Art and script.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yay for backups?
I'm really curious as to what type of system he was using for backup, and why he lost so much. This guy has a business based primarily around digitally created content, and he doesn't have some sort of automatic online backup and some sort of NAS? He's got multiple computers, and intellectual property that's worth millions.

I really hope other creators are learning from this. If you're an artist, especially someone making a living off of your work, make sure you have multiple forms of backup!

figmentPez

Staff member
Boo for not testing his backups! You have to do so, or they're just providing a false sense of security.
From other tweets it sounds like his main backup is some sort of attached drive, and it got corrupted when the computer failed. His other backup that wasn't attached hadn't been updated.

Seriously, creators, if you can afford to get a NAS, get one, and then also get some sort of online backup plan to keep stuff secure off-site.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
How is the updating lately? I just recently catch up after nearly a year (in the same year homestuck had like 2000 updates, but who is countig?)

Totally random, like always. There was a couple of long breaks for medical and technical reasons, but for the most part it's around twice per week.

From what I've noticed, he's been close enough to consistently putting a new comic out every week. At least in the last few months, anyway.

I was in London for a couple of days this week, and by chance I came across books 2 and 3 (after not being able to find any of them for several years now..)

I. AM. SO. HAPPY.
:csi:

(and damn, they're heavy!)