As many of you may already know, I live in MI.
There has been a significant increase in the number of TX license plates I see around here, and I don't know what the reason for this might be.
I don't know if Texans are fleeing Cruz/Abbott, if they're coming here to meet up and plot with their Conservative brethren, or what. But it has to be more than just a coincidence.

--Patrick

As many of you may already know, I live in MI.
There has been a significant increase in the number of TX license plates I see around here, and I don't know what the reason for this might be.
I don't know if Texans are fleeing Cruz/Abbott, if they're coming here to meet up and plot with their Conservative brethren, or what. But it has to be more than just a coincidence.

--Patrick
I have been in Raleigh-Durham area for 10 years, and almost everyone I meet is from somewhere else. Lots of folks from MI. Besides SC plates, I see a lot of TX plates too.

I have been in Raleigh-Durham area for 10 years, and almost everyone I meet is from somewhere else.
I don’t mean that there is an unusually high number of TX plates in my area, I mean that, over the last two years, the number of TX plates I see on a daily basis has jumped up by, like, 700%. I went from seeing maybe a dozen every month to easily seeing one or two dozen per week.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Intelligence is knowing that 1 of every 4 creatures on earth is some form of beetle.

Wisdom is knowing that if you think of three friends, and they are not beetles, that does not mean you are a beetle.

Intelligence is knowing that 1 of every 4 creatures on earth is some form of beetle.

Wisdom is knowing that if you think of three friends, and they are not beetles, that does not mean you are a beetle.
You can't just steal a joke off an imgur dump and expect us to not know :p

I don’t mean that there is an unusually high number of TX plates in my area, I mean that, over the last two years, the number of TX plates I see on a daily basis has jumped up by, like, 700%. I went from seeing maybe a dozen every month to easily seeing one or two dozen per week.

—Patrick
If it is any consolation, I see way too many Florida licence plates here.

Dave

Staff member
I have like 15 bites down my arms and legs and I have NO IDEA where they came from. I have peeled off the bedding and am currently washing it, and I checked my bed for critters of ANY sort and found nothing. They are too bug-bite looking to be an allergic reaction.

I have like 15 bites down my arms and legs and I have NO IDEA where they came from. I have peeled off the bedding and am currently washing it, and I checked my bed for critters of ANY sort and found nothing. They are too bug-bite looking to be an allergic reaction.
Love bites from the missus. You sly dog. :unibrow:

Dave

Staff member
Had a very up & down day. The highs were highs and the lows were pretty frustrating. Not really low by most standards but certainly a pall on the rest of the day.

My wife and I got up early and needed to go get groceries. She also wanted to take her new glasses back to the eye doctor as the bifocals gave her headaches and messed up her depth perception, which sucked when she was trying to drive. After that it was nearly lunch so we went to a local Mexican place and ate, sitting and talking and laughing a lot longer than we probably should have. Then we went to Verizon since my phone was having issues. That's when I found out that they'd fucked up my new iPhone 14 and did NOT, in fact, get my number ported over like they TOLD me they did. I hadn't noticed because most of the time I was on wifi and had no issues. BUT, I was not getting SMS messages as they'd given me a new number without telling me! We called up my old carrier right there in the store (with a VERY rude Verizon clerk) and tried to get to the bottom of it. No dice. See, when I switched phones and they told me everything was good and I had my same number, etc. I took the SIM card out, snapped it in half, and threw it away. But the old carrier said they couldn't do anything without it. More on that.

Frustrated, we started for the grocery store, but passed a little shop called Chippy's. This is a British Market & Bakery and we'd been wanting to go for a while now. We poked around, talked to the owner, then sat and had a pot of Yorkshire tea, which I'd never had it before. He told us the "normal" way was cream & two sugars so that's what I did. It was really good! I've been an Earl Grey drinker since the early 90's and I hadn't found anything else I'd liked until this. It wasn't as bitter as Earl Grey and the cream/sugar made it really easy to sip. We sat & talked & joked for at least an hour, THEN we finally went grocery shopping.

Then, however, I had to get BACK on the phone with Verizon and my old carrier and completely ruin any relaxation I'd been feeling. Folk, I'm not going to lie when I tell you I actually yelled at the guys on the phone. Verizon blamed the old carrier and the old carrier blamed Verizon and I just wanted my fucking phone to work and keep my number that I'd had for two years - since the LAST time I got a new phone and they made me change my number. It wasn't even a Nebraska area code this time!

One interesting thing is, the old carrier said they tried to email me verifications to get me the transfer pins, etc. But I never got any of the emails. So they said I needed to give them (and this is real, not a joke) the last 7 digits of the two most called or texted numbers for the last 60 days, excluding the last 72 hours. WHAT?!? Okay, I call and text a lot from my phone for work. I know my wife will be number 1 but the second number? No clue. And do you think I have these numbers memorized? Hell, I don't even have my SON'S number memorized!

In the end, I had to buy a new SIM card from my old carrier. Verizon is going to reimburse me for the cost. My old carrier is going to stop charging me. Since Verizon fucked up the carrier switch, the old carrier said, "Welp, I guess we still take his auto payment out!" They are going to reimburse me for September.

One more thing. When I ordered the SIM card, the confirmation email from the old carrier came in like 10 seconds.

And then in fantasy football Michael Thomas caught 7 catches for 55 yards in the first half for 12.6 points. In the second half he was not targeted at all. I lost my match by 2.25 points.

That's when I found out that [Verizon] fucked up my new iPhone 14 and did NOT, in fact, get my number ported over like they TOLD me they did.
Verizon has been the cause of so many headaches for me in the last few months, and I don’t even have Verizon. The only carriers to give me more trouble have been Xfinity/Comcast and Spectrum/Charter, and surprise! They both use Verizon’s towers.

—Patrick

Frustrated, we started for the grocery store, but passed a little shop called Chippy's. This is a British Market & Bakery and we'd been wanting to go for a while now. We poked around, talked to the owner, then sat and had a pot of Yorkshire tea, which I'd never had it before. He told us the "normal" way was cream & two sugars so that's what I did. It was really good! I've been an Earl Grey drinker since the early 90's and I hadn't found anything else I'd liked until this. It wasn't as bitter as Earl Grey and the cream/sugar made it really easy to sip. We sat & talked & joked for at least an hour, THEN we finally went grocery shopping.
Tea. Earl Grey Yorkshire. Hot