I may be a dumbass.

My company uses a fingerprint scanner to enter the front doors. It's also how we clock in and out. Yesterday I accidentally got a small cut on my index finger, and as a result this morning I couldn't get my fingerprint to scan properly. I stood there for like five minutes, fruitlessly scanning again and again, worried that I might miss my clock-in time, while the machine repeatedly declared that no, it did NOT recognize this fingerprint.

And then I remembered I have nine other fingers. The machine happily accepted the fingerprint of my other index finger on the first try.

I may be a dumbass.

I'm not much of a milk person, but I had to do a recipe with whole milk and I had a decent bit left over so I'm having it with cereal until its gone. My god, whole milk is just 1000x better than any reduced fat version. I've learned this lesson before but I keep forgetting.

So far as I'm concerned, the only two reasons to ever use anything other than full-fat 3.25% milk for stuff is either due to medical necessity or for cooking.

--Patrick

So far as I'm concerned, the only two reasons to ever use anything other than full-fat 3.25% milk for stuff is either due to medical necessity or for cooking.

--Patrick
And for cooking, you're only talking about using heavy cream in place of milk, and not using lower fat milk for cooking, right? It may take some reverse engineering to get the ratios perfected to account for the excess liquid content that comes with lower fat-percentage milk, but you'd have better success with that than you would, say, recreating my father's favorite dinner from childhood. One of these days I should grow some really nice heirloom tomatoes and try to revive that dish - it was essentially sloppy joes but made with fresh tomatoes from my grandmother's garden from the 1960s and early 70s, and the tomatoes that are available commercially in America are so bland and watery that it was a big disgusting lump of greasy, soggy tomato sauce-laden ground beef.

And for cooking, you're only talking about using heavy cream in place of milk, and not using lower fat milk for cooking, right?
Nope! I mean using skim milk* in place of water for some recipes (e.g., pizza crust) where you want additional protein** without also adding milkfat.

--Patrick
*I see no reason for the existence of 2% or 1/2% milk. You either want fat or you don't, not some namby-pamby in-between garbage.
**either for nutrition or for structural reasons.

Nope! I mean using skim milk* in place of water for some recipes (e.g., pizza crust) where you want additional protein** without also adding milkfat.

--Patrick
*I see no reason for the existence of 2% or 1/2% milk. You either want fat or you don't, not some namby-pamby in-between garbage.
Yech. Skim milk has no place in this world.

--Patrick
I'm so used to 2% or 1% milk that whole milk always feels too rich. It's like those people who think diet pop tastes good. :p

I'm so used to 2% or 1% milk that whole milk always feels too rich. It's like those people who think diet pop tastes good. :p
I used to drink 2% milk exclusively JUST so that if I went to someone else's house and all they had was skim or 1%, I would be sufficiently inured that I wouldn't immediately do a spit take.

But now that I'm a full-fledged adult with more practice at internalizing my suffering, it's not as much of an issue.

--Patrick

I used to drink 2% milk exclusively JUST so that if I went to someone else's house and all they had was skim or 1%, I would be sufficiently inured that I wouldn't immediately do a spit take.

But now that I'm a full-fledged adult with more practice at internalizing my suffering, it's not as much of an issue.

--Patrick
It helps that I get milk delivery from the local dairy, so it tastes a lot better than the swill from the grocery store no matter the fat content.

We live in dairy country, so even the grocery swill is better than average.
And also usually only $1.49/gal!

--Patrick
This makes me hate the west coast dairy monopoly even more. Even with two major dairy conglomerates near us, as well as three large-ish regional brands, and a dozen or so small dairies, we cannot find a gallon of milk for less than $3.00. They used to occasionally drop down to $2.89, but not since the pandemic started. It's one of the reasons we're planning on getting a couple of goats and selling kids.

I may be a dumbass.

My company uses a fingerprint scanner to enter the front doors. It's also how we clock in and out. Yesterday I accidentally got a small cut on my index finger, and as a result this morning I couldn't get my fingerprint to scan properly. I stood there for like five minutes, fruitlessly scanning again and again, worried that I might miss my clock-in time, while the machine repeatedly declared that no, it did NOT recognize this fingerprint.

And then I remembered I have nine other fingers. The machine happily accepted the fingerprint of my other index finger on the first try.

I may be a dumbass.
With love . . .

I really should. He just did revolting things to my snuffles bears including the 40 year old + one. That poor fellow can’t take many more trips through the washer.

I think I've been drinking coffee wrong, or drinking the wrong coffee. I've been going through five or six cups of Keurig coffee a day and feeling exactly no more awake as soon as I put the empty cup down. Then in the afternoon, we'll have a pot of coffee and be awake until midnight or so. I think it might be time to drink the pot of coffee in the morning and the pods of coffee in the afternoon. I don't think they're putting much caffeine in the pods.

I think I've been drinking coffee wrong, or drinking the wrong coffee. I've been going through five or six cups of Keurig coffee a day and feeling exactly no more awake as soon as I put the empty cup down. Then in the afternoon, we'll have a pot of coffee and be awake until midnight or so. I think it might be time to drink the pot of coffee in the morning and the pods of coffee in the afternoon. I don't think they're putting much caffeine in the pods.
We use the reusable pods so we can put our favorite coffees in it, and controlling the caffeine amounts in the process. Plus it's cheaper than the pods and more environmentally friendly.

We use the reusable pods so we can put our favorite coffees in it, and controlling the caffeine amounts in the process. Plus it's cheaper than the pods and more environmentally friendly.
We just bought a cheapo Mr. Coffee pot, since we were drinking so much of it anyway. Aislynn's coffee cup holds 24 ounces and my Halforum.com mug can hold at least 16. Fifty ounces out of a 72 ounce pot doesn't leave a whole lot of excess. If nothing else, this should seriously cut down on our creamer consumption. We've been going through a case of CoffeeMate a month.

:Leyla:
...just buy coconut cream!

--Patrick
It's worth a shot, I suppose. I've recently discovered, however, that I no longer give a damn what other people think about my coffee preferences, and I like my coffee thick, rich, creamy, sweet, and preferably flavored like hazelnuts or chocolate.

It's worth a shot, I suppose.
Coffee-Mate is basically made of corn syrup solids (strike one for corn syrup), hydrogenated vegetable oil (strike two for trans-fat), and milk protein (ball one-unless you're allergic I guess) by Nestlé (strike three, you're out!).

But stir 2-3tbsp sugar and 2tsp vanilla extract into 1 room-temperature can of coconut milk (or coconut cream if you want something richer), and you should have something serviceable. Refrigerating it can cause it to separate, so you might be better off sweetening your coffee first and then just adding straight coconut milk/cream to it.

--Patrick

Coffee-Mate is basically made of corn syrup solids (strike one for corn syrup), hydrogenated vegetable oil (strike two for trans-fat), and milk protein (ball one-unless you're allergic I guess) by Nestlé (strike three, you're out!).

But stir 2-3tbsp sugar and 2tsp vanilla extract into 1 room-temperature can of coconut milk (or coconut cream if you want something richer), and you should have something serviceable. Refrigerating it can cause it to separate, so you might be better off sweetening your coffee first and then just adding straight coconut milk/cream to it.

--Patrick
See, it's that serviceable that's my issue. I've given up a lot of stuff over the last decade, be it for diabetes or from moving to the middle of a damn food desert, and one thing I'm very leery of messing with is my coffee. Still, it's worth a shot and if it doesn't work out, I'll have some extra coconut milk for curry (sans the vanilla extract, obvs).

I truly hope it works out for you without being too much work.
Personally, I don't like the taste of coffee and I don't like the flavor of coconut polluting my tea (and have no issue with milk anyway).
BUT I know many others (including my wife) who use it and like it, and so I pass it along.

--Patrick

It's worth a shot, I suppose. I've recently discovered, however, that I no longer give a damn what other people think about my coffee preferences, and I like my coffee thick, rich, creamy, sweet, and preferably flavored like hazelnuts or chocolate.

Thats my stance on cocktails.

I drink what I want, and I don't give a shit what anyone else things about it. Unfortunately, I can't drink the girly drinks any more--too much sugar. :( So, back to the tequila shots--back into the manly camp.

When I was in the Catskills doing the Irish music thing last year, we had a clash of cultures at one bar: Half of us were Irish musicians, and half of us were a biker group that was passing through. It was near impossible to get to the bar, so when it was my turn to get rounds, I got me two shots of tequila, so I wouldn't come back, and 2 pints of guinness for my friends. The bartender starts handing drinks over to me, and some biker dude is between us helping pass stuff along. So he passes the shots, and as he hands 'em to me, I shoot 'em and hand the empties back so that I have free hands to carry the beers. The biker guy just goggles and goes "no salt, or lime or anything?" and I just laughed and went "I thought biker dudes were supposed to be tough."