When I was a kid my dad had stringent rules regarding what I could watch. No blood. No violence. No sex, not even kissing...and no girls doing 'boy things'.

So, I made up for all of this by making my own plays with my dinosaur action figures and barbies. I was basically running a ultra violent soap opera in my bed room.

After mom died , though, dads rules became very lax....and then his Psycho girl friend came in and I wasn't allowed to do anything but study. You think I am exaggerating but I'm seriously not.

I asked Dad after why the no 'strong women' thing...he sounded so ashamed when he told me "You were too boyish...I thought you needed to be a girl."

He's gotten over it.

GasBandit

Staff member
You actually got the better version of Goonies then. The theatrical release (and the current DVD release) don't have the "Giant squid" scene which was edited out, but for some reason, they reinserted that footage for the network broadcast. I remember watching goonies on TV as well, and re-watched it on DVD a few months ago just because... and I was thinking "wait, what happened to the giant squid scene?" Data even still references it at the end of the movie despite it being cut.

I was born in the late 80s, which I guess makes me a child of the 90s. I played a tonne of videogames growing up. (Well, more accurately, I played few videogames, but played them a lot). We had an NES for the longest time. I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas the year they started packaging it with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Whatever year that was. When I wanted to get a Sony Playstation, the parents said fine, as long as I paid for it myself. I sold my Genesis and saved up and got it myself.
But despite the amount of videogames I played, and the amount of TV I watched, somehow, I also played outside A LOT. dead end street in cottage country, you learn to entertain yourself. We had a lake on one end of the street, a frog pond on the other, and a massive swamp/ forest in our backyard. I really have no idea how I had time to do everything I did. I don't remember my parents giving me any strict rules on how much TV I could watch or videogames I could play either, it was mostly up to me. They just instilled me with good appreciation for playing outside. There were definitely some times where they'd come in and just turn my Sega off or the TV off and tell me to go outside though.

We used to walk 20minutes to the Marina to spend our money on bags full of nickel candy. It was awesome. I also remember being really excited to go into town when mom had banking, because the convenience store next to the bank was the only place anywhere nearby that sold new comic books. There was an ice cream store I could bike to that sold comics but they were all weird ones from like the 70s, and I wanted my Spider-Man, dammit. The only place to buy the new ones was over an hour's bike ride away, and I wasn't allowed to do that ride on my own until grade 7.

On a similar note, I also remember being grounded for things and being told "go to your room, no toys, no videogames, no TV". They'd come upstairs and check in periodically while I was grounded to make sure I wasn't doing any of these things. All I could do was read, draw, or do homework, really. And I think that was a good thing. Things were much different for my brother when he was grounded, and while he's turned out well, he was not the most well behaved kid growing up because unlike my sister and I, he never really got punished.

S

SeraRelm

You actually got the better version of Goonies then. The theatrical release (and the current DVD release) don't have the "Giant squid" scene which was edited out, but for some reason, they reinserted that footage for the network broadcast. I remember watching goonies on TV as well, and re-watched it on DVD a few months ago just because... and I was thinking "wait, what happened to the giant squid scene?" Data even still references it at the end of the movie despite it being cut.
I blame Japan.

(1p House Sera)

GasBandit

Staff member
Interestingly enough, the MAD Magazine parody of the goonies included the squid scene, even though it was cut from the theatrical release. It made a joke about tentacles sounding like testicles.

M

makare

I mostly read as a kid. We didn't have cable or many movies. Then when I was about 10 my mom got a membership with that company that gives you like 10 movies for a nickle or something and we started collecting vhs. That was when I started to watch a lot of tv. We also had cable a few times when it was a reduced price.

What is the significance of Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret? I don't remember it being all that interesting of a book.

fade

Staff member
I was a 4th grade boy. It was coming-of-age book for girls. There are scenes where they discuss getting a period, and then one girl bragging that she got hers first (she was lying), and then the real thing happening to Margaret. That's heavy stuff for a 4th grade boy.

I was a 4th grade boy. It was coming-of-age book for girls. There are scenes where they discuss getting a period, and then one girl bragging that she got hers first (she was lying), and then the real thing happening to Margaret. That's heavy stuff for a 4th grade boy.
I can't remember if we had sex ed in grade 4 or not. We definite did in grade 5. I remember because I specifically remember the teacher explaining wet dreams, dumb girls in my class still thinking it was when boys peed themselves, and me having to explain what the teacher had JUST said.

fade

Staff member
I was born in the late 80s, which I guess makes me a child of the 90s. I played a tonne of videogames growing up. (Well, more accurately, I played few videogames, but played them a lot). We had an NES for the longest time. I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas the year they started packaging it with Sonic the Hedgehog 2. Whatever year that was. When I wanted to get a Sony Playstation, the parents said fine, as long as I paid for it myself. I sold my Genesis and saved up and got it myself.
But despite the amount of videogames I played, and the amount of TV I watched, somehow, I also played outside A LOT. dead end street in cottage country, you learn to entertain yourself. We had a lake on one end of the street, a frog pond on the other, and a massive swamp/ forest in our backyard. I really have no idea how I had time to do everything I did. I don't remember my parents giving me any strict rules on how much TV I could watch or videogames I could play either, it was mostly up to me. They just instilled me with good appreciation for playing outside. There were definitely some times where they'd come in and just turn my Sega off or the TV off and tell me to go outside though.
Man, in the summertime, I came inside to eat. When I got older and my mom stopped making us lunches because we could do it ourselves, I didn't even do that. I remember summer evenings being something like magic. I was steeped in ghost stories and Tolkien, and it was like every day when the sun was going down, you could see to the Grey Havens. There were trolls behind every tree in the woods. When the sun went down, there were whippoorwills and fireflies (or lightning bugs as we called them).

I thought it also had really heavy religious themes that some people found uncomfortable?

I remember a group of parents had it banned from my elementary (or was is junior high?) school because they felt it was disrespectful to Christians... before another group of parents basically flipped the middle finger to them and had it put back in the library.

I was born in '71. I lived in a rural town. I played outside in the field behind our house. There were no kids my age living on my street. I wasn't allowed to leave our yard until I was a teenager and then I could only go to my cousin's house across the field or to the general store to get a pack of gum. I had friends in the surrounding small towns including one who lived by a river. We spent our days swimming, riding bikes, giggling at cute boys and pretending we were sophisticated by wearing flavored lip gloss. I also got to use the riding lawnmower. My relatives from Alabama said I was a tomboy because I didn't mind playing in mud, liked helping my grandpop and dad when they were working on something instead of sitting in the kitchen, and only wore dresses on Sunday when we went to church.
I did have an Atari 2600 when they came out. But the games were expensive and my parents didn't want to spend money on them. I had PacMan, Pitfall, and Kaboom! - at least they are the games I remember playing most. I didn't get another game console until I bought a Sega Genesis when I was living on my own.
My mom had weird rules about watching tv. I couldn't watch Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny/Looney Toons, The Three Stooges, or other afternoon shows she deemed to violent or too pretend. Yet I had to watch soap operas with my grandmother and aunts. My parents also liked, and had me watch, dramatic tv such as Adam-12 and Emergency! as well as investigative tv (at the time) like Project UFO and In Search Of... all of which scared the living hell out of me. I also was allowed to watch Dr. Who, Star Trek and all the Jacques Cousteau specials my head could handle. It was also ok for me to read her college biology book, Greco-Roman mythology, Danielle Steele and Stephen King (when I was in middle school).
You guys are talking about Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, which was sort of a fictional girl's guide to puberty. However, the book that really impacted me most, and got banned from my 6th grade class, was Forever by Judy Blume. It was about *gasp* sex! We passed that poor dog-eared book around until it got taken away.

fade

Staff member
In Search of...! I loved that one and Unsolved Mysteries. Robert Stack's voice resonates at precisely the frequency at which kids crap their pants.

I was born in the early 80's to a very middleclass family in Northern Alberta. I had Nintendo, but I also had a the forest behind my house and the fortress my friends and I built out of lumber we'd scavenge. I guess life can sometimes have moderation. I really didn't spiral into the mess my teenage and early 20's were until we moved to the city when I was 11 and I lost the vast wilderness and the adventure it brought to me.

I only had to see the opening to In Search Of... and I was already burying my head in a pillow.
I loved In Search Of... Nimoy was just the greatest host for that show.

Born in '69.

I grew up on PBS (Dr Who, In Search Of..., Carl Sagan and all types of other stuff) but also had an early love of animation. Absolutely adored Loony Tunes (bought/gifted the entire DVD series) and Robotech and Capt. Harlock (don't ask which versions, they came on early on weekday mornings on a channel out of Houston) and even remember watching the HR Puffinstuff Show when it aired. Evening entertainment usually had me upstairs in the "work room" doing things like polishing shell casings and learning how to hand reload center-fire rifle rounds. While doing that I could pick up KMOX out of St. Louis and listen to the St. Louis Blues playing hockey, learned very well how to picture the action as described by the announcers.

I spent tons of time outside playing soccer and football during the summers and spring break and rode my bike everywhere no matter what the weather. Weekends usually meant that I was out shooting at the local range (guns, not golf) or out of town shooting in competitions across Texas. Unusually enough, for this area, even though I spent lots of time with firearms, I never really got into hunting.

90's kid here, whee. I was born in a city, with a computer in our apartment, and my dad let me play Duke Nukem with him when I was 3-5. I have a fond memory of shooting a bunch of pigmen, then jetpacking through a billboard with a prostitute on it into a secret zone. Watched a lot of TV, my childhood movies were The Lion King (over and over and over), Dusk 'Til Dawn (traumatized me), and Terminator 2. Spent most of my years 6-14 reading books nonstop.

I turned out allright.

It's so weird to me hearing all this restriction for what kids could watch. I kind of forgot that for the kids I knew in elementary school, I was the one with the PG-13 and R rated movies and they didn't have that stuff at their houses. At one point it was because I was considered a mature kid who knew the difference between fiction and reality (which wasn't entirely accurate, but I wasn't contradicting anything), and then later because my parents were too busy getting divorced to monitor my intake. There were a LOT of inappropriate for a 10/11 year old Dean Koontz books read one year... My mom would be kicking herself if she ever knew what she'd willingly purchased for me.

fade

Staff member
You know, for all that I said in this thread, my parents did let me watch some things (videos) at a young age that I don't think I'd let my kids watch.

Also for everything I said, we were one of the first families amongst my friends to have a VCR because my dad rescued a broken one at the cost of a tube of superglue and about 10 minutes. Of course, he insisted that it paled in comparison to the videodisc player we also got. Not laserdisc. Videodisc. Vinyl and analog, just like a record, but inside a big square case so that it wouldn't get scratched.

GasBandit

Staff member
Were I you, I would not read this.
Unless, of course, you really like tentacle hentai...
...and necrophilia...
....and gore and vomit. Last chance.

Oh yeah. I read that already. Interesting phenomenon, and something they definitely don't tell you about in the menu blurb.

--Patrick

M

makare

At first I thought this picture was really cool. But after looking at it for a while, I am really not sure what I am looking at.