The Tech Random Crap Thread

Thoughts on USB c to USB c cables and USB c to USB a cables? I need a better 3 footer for linking my phone to my computer and a 6 footer for my new external back up drive. I've looked for info but no real answers I can see.

The shorter the better. Poorly-shielded USB3 cables can mess with your Bluetooth and Wifi due to their signaling, I think?

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I want to see this in an 80s retro-futurism setting:

And, not like selling neon signs, but selling "neon" some sort of maguffin future tech that makes hand-wavy tech miracles happen.

Thoughts on USB c to USB c cables and USB c to USB a cables? I need a better 3 footer for linking my phone to my computer and a 6 footer for my new external back up drive. I've looked for info but no real answers I can see.
FYI looks like when USB4 comes around later this year, it will require USB-C plugs/ports. No more rectangular USB-A (or square -B). Just in case that influences anyone's decision at all as far as which cables/accessories/hubs/etc to buy.

--Patrick

OK, so question time. I can screen share my phone scree nthrough a Zoom meeting. I can connect wirleessly through wifi to my TV and use desktop mode on my TV to look things up.
However, I can't seem to get Zoom (or similar) to share the projected screen. The moment I try to share my screen with someone else, my local sharing stops.
Now, I can't find an answer and I know people here are better at finding this kind of stuff than I am: is it possible to share your screen through both internet and locally at the same time?

You can generally share to only one destination at a time. TV or Internet, but not both. The reason for this is that usually the easiest way to share what's on a device's screen is to have that device treat the destination as if it were outputting to a virtual external monitor. But you can usually only have one such virtual device.

--Patrick

You can generally share to only one destination at a time. TV or Internet, but not both. The reason for this is that usually the easiest way to share what's on a device's screen is to have that device treat the destination as if it were outputting to a virtual external monitor. But you can usually only have one such virtual device.

--Patrick
Yeah, 's what I thought. Annoying, but thanks for the confirmation.

Lot of big names in that hacking.

Of course, it means POTUS can't tweet, either.

But then again, neither can the NWS...
A lot of speculation that they actually got admin access through a hacked twitter staff account because a lot of the accounts had 2FA on. That’s why all verified accounts are locked right now. Imagine if they has wanted to do something other than scam bitcon, like legitimately start a war by tweeting something from Trump :confused:

figmentPez

Staff member

For context:

TL;DW "Gamer Girl" is an FMV game that's pretty much a spiritual successor to "Night Trap". Watch pretty girl(s) on camera as she gets stalked and possibly killed. This time it's a streamer and the stalker is in her chat, while you're the moderator who befriends the streamer.

For context:

TL;DW "Gamer Girl" is an FMV game that's pretty much a spiritual successor to "Night Trap". Watch pretty girl(s) on camera as she gets stalked and possibly killed. This time it's a streamer and the stalker is in her chat, while you're the moderator who befriends the streamer.
If one reads the whole Statement from the Developer they say that you are a friend of the streamer who she asks to moderate the chat, since she trusts you.
So there goes every Simps fantasy that one day they can have a relationship with their face E-Girl.

figmentPez

Staff member

WiFi connected dishwasher... This is just a precursor to dishwashers refusing to run when they're low on Jet-Dry, or when you try to use store brand detergent (both of which have RFID chips in the packaging).