[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

It has Ariana Grande in it, it’s already deep in the pitch count against it. I just find her to be insufferable. Maybe she can pull it off, I’ll be comparing her to Kristen Chenowith in my head, but I’m not inclined to give her a chance. I don’t care what color the wicked witch is, as long as she’s got the musical chops to make a good showing of her part.
Cynthia Erivo is a very talented Broadway singer/actor, so I'm honestly not worried about her. And I really liked her in Bad Times at the El Royale. I'm still not sold on Ariana Grande as Galinda, though.

That feels like a slippery slope that will get Trump cast as an Oompa Loompa.
I can visualize this movie. Like Elf but with Trump doing the Will Ferrell role. Cut to Wonka and worker #416 discussing what a chore he is, and a klaxon starts going off and Wonka just sighs and stares up toward the ceiling, saying out loud, "Donald is stuck in the tubes again, isn't he."

--Patrick

Last edited:
Feels weird that the last film wasn’t even in theaters.
It had a limited theatrical release in some areas. I saw it in theaters. Mind you, that's when the theatre was taking several Covid precaution (limited seating, must present proof of vaccination, mask on while watching movie, etc.)

X-Men '97

Am I the only one who thinks this looks...kinda terrible? I'm not really a big fan of the original series, but it certainly looked better than this.

It looks like a bad flash animation copy is all, rather than actually like they tried to match it. Which is admittedly a fine line sure.

It looks like a bad flash animation copy is all, rather than actually like they tried to match it. Which is admittedly a fine line sure.
That's probably because they're doing it digitally, but this looks like the same animation style I would expect from like, a modern retro ninja turtles

I think it actually looks slightly better, animation-wise? It's not quite as stiff as the original, and it's sort of an amalgam of the old 90's style and Disney's current superhero animation style. I loved the X-Men cartoon when it came out, and I mean LOVED it, but if you go back and watch the original in action... it's a little rusty.

I think it's the nostalgia factor at play here. We remember things being AMAZING as kids, mainly because it's all we had and we hadn't been exposed to as much to compare it to. And then we just see single frames on the internet, or maybe the opening credits of a show (which studios were notorious for putting in more care and money because they played at the beginning of every episode), and we think, "Wow! They put a lot of care and detail into these shows! Why don't they make cartoons like that now?!". But then you go and watch the actual episodes, and ...sweet jesus, the drop in quality. Missed frames, bad movement, awful dialogue. I remember when my ex got the dvd of the first season of Transformers, and watching it as an adult, it was amazing the show got a second season. Everything was SO BAD, and cheap. Of course, there are exceptions (Gargoyles has held up pretty well, although you can see the drop in animation quality from the pilot/first 3 episodes), but a lot of the shows that shaped our childhoods, mainly because they existed to sell toys, suffer from this. I'm willing to give X-Men '97 a chance, mainly because the original really kicked my X-Men obsession into high-gear.

I should clarify.

It looks "bad"( it doesn't look bad in the traditional sense, off is better I guess.) to me because it looks too crisp, too smooth. I understand that it's a product of animating it via computer, hence why I'd likened it to a flash animation. The tweening is too smooth, character outlines are too bold and match the backgrounds and because that was a product of flash and first popularized there, it will inherently feel that way to my brain as cheap. Like with film, how 24 FPS is standard and since tv came after with 48 FPS as tech advanced, when we had that brief foray into 48 FPS movies for a bit it didn't matter how much better the tech technically looked, it felt wrong and cheaper because of where it was first associated in our heads.

It's not unwatchable and after the first few episodes, I likely won't even notice. I'll still watch it and am excited for it as well.

I'll be honest, I think I only watched the first couple of seasons. And even then, I barely remember much of it.
Luckily you don't have to, you can just look at the start of the video, that shows the original ending... Charles' face is the only thing that looks ok.

I mean, just look at that final shot of them... ugh...

It's not quite as stiff as the original,
I think that actually works against it, because it's more jarring, since it's easier to notice when they move more, but still don't "flow" right.

Hence the comparison to flash animation, which i don't think anyone would make for the original (well, barring the last season).

The sad thing is, when Gas posted that image, we didn't take it seriously. We laughed over it. It was a joke.

Now I'm seeing the usual right-wing yahoos reacting to the same image, but without a lick of irony. And just....seriously? You're raging over a single shot with an exaggerated ass? This is a hill to die on?

These same people are angry that X-Men has "gone woke" or "gone political." And like...it's fucking X-Men. Politics is baked into the concept. It'd be like saying Star Trek was never political (had an idiot argue that to me on Twitter. Ugh.)

The sad thing is, when Gas posted that image, we didn't take it seriously. We laughed over it. It was a joke.

Now I'm seeing the usual right-wing yahoos reacting to the same image, but without a lick of irony. And just....seriously? You're raging over a single shot with an exaggerated ass? This is a hill to die on?

These same people are angry that X-Men has "gone woke" or "gone political." And like...it's fucking X-Men. Politics is baked into the concept. It'd be like saying Star Trek was never political (had an idiot argue that to me on Twitter. Ugh.)
They get real mad when they don't think candy is fuckable anymore, what do you expect?

Right-wing yahoos constantly need something to distract them from their own impotence, be it literal or figurative. It doesn't even matter it if makes any sense (X-Men, Star Trek, etc.). If they took a fraction of that energy to self-reflect and really figure out where their problems actually lie, Twitter and comment sections would become a virtual desert.

I'm seeing the usual right-wing yahoos reacting to the same image, but without a lick of irony. And just....seriously? You're raging over a single shot with an exaggerated ass? This is a hill to die on?
Hey It's two hills.

...and yes, when they rage about how fat asses > flat asses, they are literally stating that they are genuinely worried Teh Libs are coming to take away their ass candy. Because what will they take away next? It's a slippery slope.
(I am legitimately waiting for "Ex-Men" anti-trans REEEEEEE commentary to start)

--Patrick

It’s like they found what they believed to be the most interesting characters in all of the games, put them in a party together, and cast the absolute worst people to play them on purpose.
This feels like a 90s game movie adaption

I will probably see this.
And the entire time, I will probably be thinking they should've put Carl Weathers in Kevin Hart's place. It could've been his Raul Julia moment.

--Patrick

Now I'm seeing the usual right-wing yahoos reacting to the same image, but without a lick of irony.
Nah, that's exactly what i was expecting... hence all the no-ass screenshots from the '97 show...

It’s like they found what they believed to be the most interesting characters in all of the games, put them in a party together, and cast the absolute worst people to play them on purpose.
This feels like a 90s game movie adaption
You know what this gives me vibes for? The Jumanji movies. Not Robin Williams, but the series with Dwayne Johnson and Karen Gillen.

And...maybe it's because I hold no attachment to the games, but this looks kinda fun? I don't expect it'll be on anyone's top 10 or even top 20 movies of the year list, but I could see people being like "Yeah, that was dumb but fun."