[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Hmmm. Cautiously interested.
This.

That voiceover was atrocious, but what little snippets we see at least look good. The core of the story is Ender, but they're of course not going to advertise it that way regardless of how the movie plays it.[DOUBLEPOST=1367962211][/DOUBLEPOST]
Looks pretty. Also that's one hell of a spoiler.
... sort of?

He uses the Little Doctor more than once, I thought.

GasBandit

Staff member
He uses the Little Doctor more than once, I thought.
Only once on a planet, the formic homeworld. All the others were on ships in space. Though really, it's only a spoiler for anyone who has already read the book and knows what he's looking at. Otherwise it's just more pew pew boom.

fade

Staff member
Looks pretty. Also that's one hell of a spoiler.
Yeah, wasn't the fact that they were
actually fighting
kind of the big reveal in the book? It's been a long time since I read it, but it seems to me that was the Shyamalan Twist.

Only once on a planet, the formic homeworld. All the others were on ships in space. Though really, it's only a spoiler for anyone who has already read the book and knows what he's looking at. Otherwise it's just more pew pew boom.
Which seems to be what the trailer was selling.

Yeah, wasn't the fact that they were
actually fighting
kind of the big reveal in the book? It's been a long time since I read it, but it seems to me that was the Shyamalan Twist.
Correct. But like Gas said, it's just imagery to someone who hasn't read the book.

I seem to remember reading that OSC stated the Locke and Demosthenes subplot was going to be excluded because it's hard to make an exciting film about two people typing on keyboards.[DOUBLEPOST=1368032339][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm figuring that they're going to remove the ending/epilogue from the movie to focus on the training games and bugger fights.

Dave

Staff member
That's exactly the feel I got from it, Pez. Men in Black with dead people instead of aliens. And no annoying Fresh Prince.

Dave

Staff member
Will Smith is a national treasure
Good. Maybe Nicholas Cage will steal him and we won't have to worry about it any more. Don't get me wrong, I like Will Smith well enough, but once you've seen him in a genre, you've seen every character he'll play in that genre. And between genres there's only slight differential.

GasBandit

Staff member
Good. Maybe Nicholas Cage will steal him and we won't have to worry about it any more. Don't get me wrong, I like Will Smith well enough, but once you've seen him in a genre, you've seen every character he'll play in that genre. And between genres there's only slight differential.
But is that really a criticism? I mean, it's also true of Arnold Schwartzenegger, Brian Dennehy, Peter Lorre, John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart and countless other character actors.

Dave

Staff member
I gotta disagree on this one. His performance in Pursuit of Happyness or Seven pounds was very different than Bad Boys or Men in Black.
Notice I said a film from each genre. Each action movie he's the same, each buddy cop movie he's the same, etc.

So you didn't feel the need to ever see more than 1 each of the movies by those other actors?
I'll see them, just like I do for Keanu Reeves, but that doesn't mean I won't go, "Oh, there's X playing X again."

Notice I said a film from each genre. Each action movie he's the same, each buddy cop movie he's the same, etc.
But you also said between genres the difference is slight; that's what MD was taking issue with, that maybe the roles are similar within genres, but his roles in dramas are more than just slightly different than his roles in action movies.

Dave

Staff member
I dig it. You're right on those movies. But that makes the other stuff he's done even worse. He's got the talent but he just never uses it.

I dig it. You're right on those movies. But that makes the other stuff he's done even worse. He's got the talent but he just never uses it.
Except that the fact he did those movies MD mentioned means he does use that talent. In fact, those are some of his latest movies, which generally, other than MIB 3, have him play something other than the "type" that you're complaining about. It's just that he doesn't do a lot of movies anymore.

Except that the fact he did those movies MD mentioned means he does use that talent. In fact, those are some of his latest movies, which generally, other than MIB 3, have him play something other than the "type" that you're complaining about. It's just that he doesn't do a lot of movies anymore.
Well, he certainly didn't buck the trend with Men In Black 3, but I'm sure I, Robot 2, Hancock 2, and Bad Boys 3 will all have him playing very different roles than he did in I, Robot, Hancock and Bad Boys.

(I don't actually mind Will Smith.... most of the time).