[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

I always liked that kind of thing, though it definitely shows who the weakest voices are. There are some good ones outside Hamill, but man nobody tops his laugh. McKean's not bad either for a campy Joker. I liked Spiner in Young Justice, too.

Funny to hear how many people just do an impression of Hamill post-TAS, though.
I actually liked John DiMaggio's Joker. He had a pretty fantastic laugh and brought a little more menace.

So I stumbled upon this pretty rad channel on youtube while falling down one of those random youtube pits we all fall prey to every now and then
In my opinion, the key to doing the best Joker characterization is to make him an entirely emotion-driven character. No weighing options. Joker gets angry, he overreacts and kills you, and possibly even smashes your mailbox to the ground with a crowbar on his way back out of your burning house. He sees a pretty girl, he sighs and does the whole kiss-your-hand-and-carry-you-across-the-street thing. And of course there's the revengedetta against The Batman for putting him in his situation in the first place. He delights in irony. He is insane, not "crazy"--when he feels an emotion, he commits to it. He is literally a caricature, and he should be portrayed accordingly. The one exception to the emotion thing is that he actively works to avoid feeling remorse for his actions.
The actors who do the best job at portraying him are the ones who let the character's emotions drive the performance. So far, I feel like Hamill has come the closest to this, and that is why his performance has been so well-received.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I finished Bojack Horseman season 2, and while I enjoyed it, I'm not sure it quite topped season 1, all things considered. There were definitely points where I was dying of second-hand anxiety, though, especially

the entire New Mexico segment. I fucking knew something was going to happen with his friend's daughter.

I finished Bojack Horseman season 2, and while I enjoyed it, I'm not sure it quite topped season 1, all things considered. There were definitely points where I was dying of second-hand anxiety, though, especially

the entire New Mexico segment. I fucking knew something was going to happen with his friend's daughter.
Yeah that was rough, the dude is a mess. I feel this season is better in drama than the first one though, especially the parts with his mother. After rewatching it in my mind my one major criticism is that there could've been more Todd, he just had more presence in season one in my opinion.

Rick and Morty is still the best show currently running, animation or otherwise. Fantastic.
I really appreciate Rick and Morty for being totally, unapologetically willing to use the hardest of sci-fi concepts as throwaway jokes for a single episode.

Season 1 is available with Hulu subscription. Free 1 month trial right now.

Second half of season 1 and start of season 2 is currently free on Adult Swim's website.

fade

Staff member
I watched the first Rick and Morty again. It's Adult Swim, that's for sure. Moments of gleaming brilliance surrounding by dumb annoying stuff. Like the stupid burping noises or Morty's ceaseless freaking.

I watched the first Rick and Morty again. It's Adult Swim, that's for sure. Moments of gleaming brilliance surrounding by dumb annoying stuff. Like the stupid burping noises or Morty's ceaseless freaking.
The burping actually lessens pretty quick. It's like they realized that wasn't working, though they don't abandon it completely.

fade

Staff member
Argh everything I type on my iPad looks like it was written by someone with a thick Swedish accent thanks to autocorrect.

The pilot yeah, hope it gets greenlit.

So late last night, not tired but not awake so I decided to watch something new on Hulu. Hmmmmmm, "The dating guy"? I think that was by Teletoon, but it has three stars so it has a chance of being good!

*One episode later*

Nope, done. Very done. All these characters are annoying cliches, and the main character's design is more generic than a Sonic the Hedgehog fan character. DO NOT MAKE MY TIRED LATE NIGHT MISTAKES!

Last edited:
Yep, we're going back to New Thursdays next week... hopefully with Adventure Time or Regular Show back as well. Here's the upcoming Steven Universe episodes (read bottom to top).

I can't wait to figure out what's actually new next week, because my damned DVR box keeps recording re-runs! They aren't even labeled as new, what the hell is going on here?!

Steven Universe pushed to September? Probably just for scheduling reasons, but still...

Aug. 6 starts New Thursday though, so we'll have a bunch of new episodes to watch at least.

Wait, so, is there a new episode on August 6th or not?
No, it's all getting pushed back until September. No reason is given, but it's probably to make up more of a buffer after the double Steven Bomb or to allow them to get more new episodes of We Bare Bears, Teen Titans GO!, or Regular Show out. All three of those are getting new episodes on Thursday too. Don't know about Gumball.

Current New Thursday Line-Up is
Teen Titans Go! 6-6:30
We Bare Bears 6:30-7
Gumball 7-7:30
Regular Show 7:30-8

Steven Universe usually takes the 6 or 6:30 slot, so I'm guessing it'll go to 6:30 in September because Teen Titans is a money maker.

I really like Bobs burgers. I'm on season three now. I feel bad, when I first saw commercials I thought it looked like a trash show that'd get cancelled quickly. I've been missing out.

I really like Bobs burgers. I'm on season three now. I feel bad, when I first saw commercials I thought it looked like a trash show that'd get cancelled quickly. I've been missing out.
That's what EVERYONE thought. Now it's a mainstay of both FOX and AdultSwim. That's what happens when you awards right out of the gate.

So, just ran across a video that listed the entire cast of Steven Universe. A few surprises in there for me.

Estelle as Garnet. American Boy was my jam.

Joel Hodgsen from MST3K as Mayor Dewey. I knew I recognized that voice.

Sinbad as Coach Smiley.

Aimee Mann as Opal.

Nicki Minaj as Sugilite.

Gravity Falls: Nice little bonding episode with Dipper and Stanford, with a KICK ASS cliff-hanger at the ends. Best line: "Those must have been some dark times the 90s."