Export thread

The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Limit: 500

Bones

Bones

I decided to just pull the trigger and make a new separate non-anime animation thread. so come one, come all and talk about your love of all non-animu animations. I hear good things about that Steven Universe fellow.

Celt Z

Celt Z

New Gravity Falls in a few weeks!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yay! Fresh spoilers!

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New Gravity Falls in a few weeks!
I still don't understand what Disney is thinking with this series. They clearly have interest in it but seem to have no desire to actually schedule it rationally. StevenBombs are great because we get almost 40+ episodes a year of SU, but we're lucky if we get 18 of Gravity Falls. I almost wonder if they only keep it around because they know people like it, but the executive in charge doesn't get it and kind of just wants to kill the show. Sort of like Tremors: The Series was before it's executive went crazy.

So yeah... new Gravity Falls in something like two weeks and 1 week until StevenBomb 3.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Oops. I made a Steven Universe thread because I missed this; the title was so similar to the Anime thread that my eyes glazed over it as being the same.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Other thread got eaten while I was replying to it. :(

Hey, now. all I said was that *I* don't watch Steven Universe.

And that I haven't seen, and probably won't see, Mad Max.

For the simple reasons that it's a stretch for me to turn on the TV or go to the movies... at all. :p :(

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I deleted mine, but can the thread title be changed to be more distinct please?[DOUBLEPOST=1436238469,1436238390][/DOUBLEPOST]
Other thread got eaten while I was replying to it. :(

Hey, now. all I said was that *I* don't watch Steven Universe.

And that I haven't seen, and probably won't see, Mad Max.

For the simple reasons that it's a stretch for me to turn on the TV or go to the movies... at all. :p :(
Sorry I killed the thread while you were telling us you don't watch the thing the thread was about :p. Been taking posting tips from Nick, eh?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I deleted mine, but can the thread title be changed to be more distinct please?[DOUBLEPOST=1436238469,1436238390][/DOUBLEPOST]

Sorry I killed the thread while you were telling us you don't watch the thing the thread was about :p. Been taking tips from Nick, eh?
It seems the whole thing snowballed from a tumblr post I made this morning. Then Ash asked me on twitter if I was catching flack about it, and maybe new threads were in order. And then a couple hours later... POOF! :)

Bones

Bones

I deleted mine, but can the thread title be changed to be more distinct please?
give me fun suggestions and I will gladly change it. I just used the first naming convention that came to mind, you should really blame @Dave.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

give me fun suggestions and I will gladly change it. I just used the first naming convention that came to mind, you should really blame @Dave.
I always blame him. It's a youngling thing.

Maybe just Animation Thread? Animation That Isn't Anime Trash thread :p? Or it can still keep the Electric Bugaloo subtitle; it's just that:

The What Anime Are You Watching Thread
The What Animation Are You Watching Thread

Aren't super-quick eye-catching differences to me when skimming the recently updated threads, especially when both are made by the same user, so the same avatar shows up. That's probably just a me thing.

Bones

Bones

I always blame him. It's a youngling thing.

Maybe just Animation Thread? Animation That Isn't Anime Trash thread :p? Or it can still keep the Electric Bugaloo subtitle; it's just that:

The What Anime Are You Watching Thread
The What Animation Are You Watching Thread

Aren't super-quick eye-catching differences to me when skimming the recently updated threads, especially when both are made by the same user, so the same avatar shows up. That's probably just a me thing.
or ya know you could just be more observant :3 Ill let others weigh in on what they want it called and we can poll the unwashed masses, and then ill cut and paste it to be something else.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

or ya know you could just be more observant :3 Ill let others weigh in on what they want it called and we can poll the unwashed masses, and then ill cut and paste it to be something else.
Immediately after I posted the above, I went back to the Media forum, saw that the colors weren't faded out, and thought "oh, there's a new post already," and then realized it was the anime thread. It's fucking me up. I appreciate your understanding. It makes more sense to you to have it all uniform I'm guessing?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Doesn't bother me ether way.

drifter

drifter

Jesus Christ just call it the fucking cartoon thread.

And by that I mean the whole sentence should be the title.

Bones

Bones

Jesus Christ just call it the fucking cartoon thread.

And by that I mean the whole sentece should be the title.
one vote for "JESUS CHRIST ITS THE FUCKING CARTOON THREAD: Electric Boogaloo"

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seconded.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I just got caught up to date with Steven Universe. That show is so charming and likable. I never really went ga-ga over Adventure Time like most people did, but I absolutely ADORE Steven Universe.

PatrThom

PatrThom

one vote for "JESUS CHRIST ITS THE FUCKING CARTOON THREAD: Electric Boogaloo"
Blasphemous AND vulgar!

--Patrick

Bones

Bones

Blasphemous AND vulgar!

--Patrick
i thought you understood i was a foul mouthed apostate, well now you do!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I just got caught up to date with Steven Universe. That show is so charming and likable. I never really went ga-ga over Adventure Time like most people did, but I absolutely ADORE Steven Universe.
I think what makes SU so much different is that every episode feels relevant in the grand scheme of things, even if only because it furthers characterization. Adventure Time doesn't have this because half of the episodes are just fun stand alones, meaning the people who are ONLY in the show for the interesting story aren't engaged half the season. The smaller cast helps too because everyone gets a day in the limelight. Fuck, even the PIZZA FAMILY has an episode.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Blasphemous AND vulgar!

--Patrick
In other words, perfect. :D

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think what makes SU so much different is that every episode feels relevant in the grand scheme of things, even if only because it furthers characterization. Adventure Time doesn't have this because half of the episodes are just fun stand alones, meaning the people who are ONLY in the show for the interesting story aren't engaged half the season. The smaller cast helps too because everyone gets a day in the limelight. Fuck, even the PIZZA FAMILY has an episode.
I enjoy Adventure Time as it is, but yeah, if you're in it for the story and lore, you need to sift through a lot of goofiness and unimportant stuff to reach it. Sometimes it's just a line or two in an episode. Steven Universe can pretend it's like that--Lion 3 may seem like it just brings the important stuff in at the end. But in later episodes, it turns out everything from that episode was important; it just didn't seem that way at the time.

This is an incredibly well-crafted show. Whenever someone starts a cancellation rumor, I get nervous because it feels too good to exist.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I enjoy Adventure Time as it is, but yeah, if you're in it for the story and lore, you need to sift through a lot of goofiness and unimportant stuff to reach it. Sometimes it's just a line or two in an episode. Steven Universe can pretend it's like that--Lion 3 may seem like it just brings the important stuff in at the end. But in later episodes, it turns out everything from that episode was important; it just didn't seem that way at the time.

This is an incredibly well-crafted show. Whenever someone starts a cancellation rumor, I get nervous because it feels too good to exist.
It actually got two more seasons during the first season, so we've got at least a year and half of it still. It's just that CN understands the heavy, serial nature of the show so we tend to get it in big chunks like StevenBombs instead of long weeks of it during the summer. We're getting a StevenBomb next week, and I wouldn't be surprised if we got another when the fall schedule is finalized to get the kids caught up.

It's far more likely Gravity Falls is getting the axe, despite it's viewership and popularity. Disney isn't willing to pay for too many half hour episodes and the creator isn't willing to cut them in half and do 15 minute ones for story reasons.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I lost interest in Adventure Time because it seemed like they lost track of what they wanted the show to be. It had a decent balance of story and whimsy but over the last year or two seems to have just gone off the rails.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I lost interest in Adventure Time because it seemed like they lost track of what they wanted the show to be. It had a decent balance of story and whimsy but over the last year or two seems to have just gone off the rails.
That probably had a lot to do with Pendleton Ward leaving.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That probably had a lot to do with Pendleton Ward leaving.
From what I gather Rebecca Sugar had a lot to do with the turn towards a more focused story, but then she left to start up Steven Universe.

Celt Z

Celt Z

From what I gather Rebecca Sugar had a lot to do with the turn towards a more focused story, but then she left to start up Steven Universe.
A bit of column a, a bit of column b, I'd bet. It has gone through a series of shake ups.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

When did Pendelton Ward leave?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wikipedia says sometime during s5, now he's just kind of producing and giving input on scripts thanks to the work on an AT movie.

Celt Z

Celt Z

He stepped down in 2013, I think.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Sometime in 2014. He really just couldn't handle the stress of dealing with the stuff OTHER than the show, like marketing and toys and such. Rebecca Sugar explicitly left to make Steven Universe after CN saw her pilot.

Pendleton does some web shows though, like Bravest Warriors.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Slightly tangent to this, every time I watch Steven Universe and see Ian Jones-Quartey's name pop-up, I keep thinking, "I know him from somewhere. Was he a classmate? No...". I just realized now he's the same guy that did the webcomic RPG World. I used to love that comic!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Slightly tangent to this, every time I watch Steven Universe and see Ian Jones-Quartey's name pop-up, I keep thinking, "I know him from somewhere. Was he a classmate? No...". I just realized now he's the same guy that did the webcomic RPG World. I used to love that comic!
I remember that comic! He got to just before the climax, and then abruptly stopped. Kept saying for the longest time he'd get back to finish it; never found out if he ever did. But I'm glad he got somewhere with his talents.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wow I remember that comic. My brother and I still shout THE ANCIENT CAVE IS TO THE NORTH when we see stupid lines in games we're playing.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Mr. Z and I still use "*sigh* Times are tough..." in everyday conversation.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I remember that comic! He got to just before the climax, and then abruptly stopped. Kept saying for the longest time he'd get back to finish it; never found out if he ever did. But I'm glad he got somewhere with his talents.
He came back, did a few pages, then deleted the entire thing because people wouldn't leave him alone about it. He basically gave up on it out of spite.[DOUBLEPOST=1436324608,1436324147][/DOUBLEPOST]Steven Universe, Uncle Grandpa, Adventure Time, Clarence, and Regular Show are all getting additional seasons.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I would just like to point out that Pen Ward only left as show-runner, he's still involved with the show and is writing the movie.

And now because I'm sexy I shall shift the topic- TO THE BEN 10 REBOOT! A REBOOT THAT IIIIIIIIIIIIII- am completely for. Now I liked Omniverse, and am sad it's story won't be continued, but since Alien Force the series has had too many problems , too many retcons, and too many rein holding shifts to be considered a proper chronology. Hell, in Omniverse they had to say that the crazy changes in this series were because of "Celestial Sapiens changing the universe"! When you need magical space aliens to explain your plot-holes, you KNOW yours story needs help. I just hope they keep the whole "Glitchy Omnitrix" bit only in the first season or two. It got old- REAL fast. Also lets hope Vilgax's last role won't be wussing out to Ma Vreedle. Funny? Yes. Lame? Very yes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

New Steven Universe short, love Pearl dodging the question at the end there.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

New Steven Universe short, love Pearl dodging the question at the end there.
This is huge tribute to another anime, right down to the background color and chibi style. I just can't for the life of me remember which one.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This is huge tribute to another anime, right down to the background color and chibi style. I just can't for the life of me remember which one.
Sam here, Slayers maybe? I think they did something LIKE this, but not exactly.

I also hope they do more of these, this was fun! And confirmed exactly WHAT the gems are physically in being basically holograms with mass.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I looked it up. It's a homage to the Gunbusters OVA omake "Science Lessons".

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Sam here, Slayers maybe? I think they did something LIKE this, but not exactly.

I also hope they do more of these, this was fun! And confirmed exactly WHAT the gems are physically in being basically holograms with mass.
So ... they're Jem and the Holograms?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The real question is WHERE does this mass come from? It could be simulated mass via gravity field manipulation (which would make sense because Garnet seems to be able to adjust her weight on demand) but if it's real, actual matter then it's being spontaneously generated from the Gem magically, conservation of energy be damned.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The real question is WHERE does this mass come from? It could be simulated mass via gravity field manipulation (which would make sense because Garnet seems to be able to adjust her weight on demand) but if it's real, actual matter then it's being spontaneously generated from the Gem magically, conservation of energy be damned.
Marvel always plays it off as "presumably from some extradimensional source."

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I thought it was magic. They've called their powers magic before, and I thought someone in the old Steven Universe thread said some of this stuff is drawn off of magical girl anime.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The stuff that The Crystal Gems and Lapis Lazuli do sure look like magic, but on the other hand, Peridot looks all technology, so... little of column A, little of column B?

Advanced science appearing to be magic and all that.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The stuff that The Crystal Gems and Lapis Lazuli do sure look like magic, but on the other hand, Peridot looks all technology, so... little of column A, little of column B?

Advanced science appearing to be magic and all that.
That might have to do with the passage of time. When awaiting the coming of Peridot, the Crystal Gems refer to her as a "modern gem." Those trapped on Earth are all gems from thousands of years ago, so perhaps this has to do with the changes happening on the gem homeworld. Our heroes, Lapis, they have no idea what's gone on for all those years.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Trailer for the next season of Gravity Falls:

Celt Z

Celt Z

There's something funny about Grunkle Not-Stan looks like the 10th Doctor. (No tie, but the hair and jacket definitely.)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

CURSE YOU THREE DAYS FROM NOW! Why must you not come soon enough?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Just wanted to mention that this scene from Steven Universe shows just how deeply affecting this show can be.

When Pearl breaks down and accidentally calls Steven Rose, I honestly teared up watching it. It's clear that she was in love with Rose, and I think Steven is so important to her because she believes that Rose will return somehow through Steven.

Speaking of which, my speculation is that Lion is the rest of Rose's essence that wasn't used to create Steven.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

CURSE YOU THREE DAYS FROM NOW! Why must you not come soon enough?
Had to unfollow people on Tumblr because they couldn't wait those three days to start spoiling shit that was leaked.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Just wanted to mention that this scene from Steven Universe shows just how deeply affecting this show can be.

When Pearl breaks down and accidentally calls Steven Rose, I honestly teared up watching it. It's clear that she was in love with Rose, and I think Steven is so important to her because she believes that Rose will return somehow through Steven.

Speaking of which, my speculation is that Lion is the rest of Rose's essence that wasn't used to create Steven.
Half agree on the first, and definitely agree on the second. Mostly because that would mean Lion is Steven's brother, and then Steven would call him "Lion bro" which would be adorable.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Saw this. Made me laugh.

tumblr_nraqfnOf051rz6w0do3_500.gif

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

figmentPez

figmentPez

Danger Mouse trailer:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Steven Universe

Well...that was heavy. On the one hand we got Sardonyx whose awesome, on the other hand...the lies...THE LIES!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Steven Universe - Cry For Help

This might be my new favorite episode.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Steven Universe - Cry For Help

This might be my new favorite episode.
I can see, especially with that ending line, just DAMN!

I also love the parallels it had with "Coach Steven", the communications hub setting, Pearl's feelings of weakness, and a sweet little song. The only major difference is the ending, damn was that heavy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, this is gonna be a FUN week.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well, this is gonna be a FUN week.
Damn straight, plus this week is gonna be a five ep story arch so next ep is gon' be a DOOZY!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

22 minutes, TWENTY TWO MINUTES!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Gravity Falls- A tale of two Stans

AND- half of my theory about Stan was confirmed, -
was a little disapointed that Stanley wasn't their secret grandpa but whatevs.
Either way a GREAT back story episode, full of feels!

evilmike

evilmike

An extended Steven Universe Theme song from Comic-Con (possible spoilers):

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

An extended Steven Universe Theme song from Comic-Con (possible spoilers):
I can not WAIT to see this on TV, if this were made in an era before file sharing existed SU would make MILLIONS on soundtracks.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Was that the shadowy outline of Yellow Diamond?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Was that the shadowy outline of Yellow Diamond?
We haven't met her yet but that's the assumption.

In other news, this is the official promo image for Steven Bomb 3. Buckle up kids, I think it only gets worse from here.

stevenbomb3.jpg

Bones

Bones

We haven't met her yet but that's the assumption.

In other news, this is the official promo image for Steven Bomb 3. Buckle up kids, I think it only gets worse from here.

YOU MUSTN'T RUN AWAY!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Steven Universe - Keystone Motel

Any time Steven loses his shit, you know people are being whiny assholes. I mean... he puts up with Pearl acting like he's his MOM, but THIS was too much. I wonder how much longer he's going to be okay with Pearl though.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Any time Steven loses his shit, you know people are being whiny assholes. I mean... he puts up with Pearl acting like he's his MOM, but THIS was too much. I wonder how much longer he's going to be okay with Pearl though.
Agreed, "Trouble at home" doesn't even be-GIN to describe what's going on in that house.

Either way a GREAT ep-
Ruby and Saphire's solo powers are confirmed(and now I wonder if she can user her thermoregulatory powers as Garnet), Greg showing his mature side, a call-back joke to CatFingers(about time they acknowledged that happened), Ruby and Sapphire's gratuitous acts of love, and Garnet not still not fully forgiving Pearl.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Garnet's can survive in lava. It's why she got the Earth Beetle instead of the Heaven Beetle: no one else could survive getting it.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Gravity Falls- A tale of two Stans

AND- half of my theory about Stan was confirmed, -
was a little disapointed that Stanley wasn't their secret grandpa but whatevs.
Either way a GREAT back story episode, full of feels!
It wouldn't have made much sense for the kids to not know about their grandfather. Having another Pine sibling makes things line up a bit better. On the other hand, if Sharmie (sp?) is Dipper and Mabel's grandfather and an infant in the late 60's/early 70's, were both he and Dipper and Mabel's parents teen parents?

Meanwhile, it turns out Stan is from Jersey. That explains SO much.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It wouldn't have made much sense for the kids to not know about their grandfather. Having another Pine sibling makes things line up a bit better. On the other hand, if Sharmie (sp?) is Dipper and Mabel's grandfather and an infant in the late 60's/early 70's, were both he and Dipper and Mabel's parents teen parents?

I think Sharmie is supposed to be their Grandmother, not Grandfather.

And I only have one thing to say about this episode: even after the horribly shit Stan did to Ford, what right does Ford have to tell Stan to stay away from Dipper and Mabel? I mean... he's been protecting them ALL SUMMER. He's fist fought dinosaurs AND zombies to save them. Also, FUCK FORD. He's been nothing but a jerk since he left the rift.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I appreciate that he reacts like this so infrequently that not only do other characters react with surprise, but concern. They love him, and it takes them pushing him like this to realize when they're fucking up.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Garnet's can survive in lava. It's why she got the Earth Beetle instead of the Heaven Beetle: no one else could survive getting it.
AH, question all ready answered to my silly self.

*Does math in head* Holy crap you're right, those Pines boys are wily!

And I only have one thing to say about this episode: even after the horribly shit Stan did to Ford, what right does Ford have to tell Stan to stay away from Dipper and Mabel? I mean... he's been protecting them ALL SUMMER. He's fist fought dinosaurs AND zombies to save them. Also, FUCK FORD. He's been nothing but a jerk since he left the rift.
Yeah, Ford has NO right to shit-talk Stan. Hell, he didn't have the right to shit-talk him when Stan accidentally portaled him! "After you cost me my dream school" bitch you got your PHD and enough grant money to open a portal in space/time to Rick and Morty, it didn't set you back THAT much! Plus is it really kosher to play the blame game on someone who's family all ready disowned him causing him to take the life of a con-artist AS a cheap substitute for a childhood dream he wished to fulfill with his twin brother/ best friend. So yes while I admit its a complicated situation, FUCK FORD! Though I can't wait for him to redeem himself.
You thought this topic would stop the constant quotes- THINK AGAIN!

Celt Z

Celt Z

I thought the same thing until I started writing out my response but then I realized
how would Mabel and Dipper's last name still be Pines?

Celt Z

Celt Z

I couldn't remember what episodes of Steven Universe I missed, so I just spent the past few days watching all 64 episodes. Ouch, my brain, and my feels!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I thought the same thing until I started writing out my response but then I realized
how would Mabel and Dipper's last name still be Pines?
Maybe she never got married? She IS from New Jersey. Or she could have been some flower child in the 60's.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Maybe she never got married? She IS from New Jersey. Or she could have been some flower child in the 60's.
It may be something they address later in the season. Hopefully.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Given the sketchy age gap, I'm still keeping the "Secret Grampa" theory in a pocket of my brain.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Steven Universe Onion Friend

ALMOST EVERY THEORY CONFIRMED
Kinda expected Vidalia to be revealed to be Yellow Diamond, but the season's not over!

Either way a good episode.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Onion is completely fucked up. This episode just added to the pile.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Onion is completely fucked up. This episode just added to the pile.
HA, yeah that tape was a bit much(still hilarious though). But-
it was nice of him to give Steven one of his Gals.

But seriously, he is the end-maker. MAS FEARS TO HE WITHOUT EARS!

Celt Z

Celt Z

When I was watching "We Need to Talk" and they introduced Marty's girlfriend, I knew
she had to be related to Onion, I just wasn't sure how. And I never noticed the connection Sour Cream and Onion together until now

Bones

Bones

the whole family is adorable, normal, and completely relateable. I also loved the keystone episode for how everyone reacts to stevens feelings.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

When I was watching "We Need to Talk" and they introduced Marty's girlfriend, I knew
she had to be related to Onion, I just wasn't sure how. And I never noticed the connection Sour Cream and Onion together until now
Really? People been figurin' that since season one!
the whole family is adorable, normal, and completely relateable. I also loved the keystone episode for how everyone reacts to stevens feelings.
Agreed, one's a mumbling fisherman, one's a hippy artist, and with their two sons they try to make it work in Beach City. Together their "Allium family", coming Sundays this fall.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, this was an easy one if you knew anything about vegetables.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yeah, but remember, I just watched the entire series a couple of days ago. It took me a few days. ;)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Trailer for the CW's Vixen, an animated spin-off from Arrow/Flash

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Trailer for the CW's Vixen, an animated spin-off from Arrow/Flash

Looks pretty good, I can't wait for the spin-off of THIS with the guy with really similar powers to her goes through a metaphysical crisis over the true nature of his being...and is voiced by Weird Al Yankovic for some reason. Whose performance I wouldn't complain about, but would still find strange thematically.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't see how they could be figuring it since season one when that episode aired during season two.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I don't see how they could be figuring it since season one when that episode aired during season two.
I meant Onion's and Sour Cream's brotherhood, though technically "Story for Steven" was also season one.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I meant Onion's and Sour Cream's brotherhood, though technically "Story for Steven" was also season one.
Correct, but they aired it during season two, so it's not like anyone would've seen it back during season one's airing period.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Correct, but they aired it during season two, so it's not like anyone would've seen it back during season one's airing period.
What about the possibly lying animation hipsters? They always seem to pretend to know what's up!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Steven Universe - Community Theater (or whatever it was called)

Fun episode, but it brings up an interesting issue: The Gems were present for... uhh... some kind of messed up shit in the past. I know that Steven Universe is set in a different historical universe (as the Gems HAVE had effects on history) but it does bring up some kind of disturbing issues. For one, the colonization of the Americas and what followed... that's not even getting into things like the Civil and Revolutionary Wars. I kind of want to see more one shot episodes about stuff they did during famous historical events.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Fun episode, but it brings up an interesting issue: The Gems were present for... uhh... some kind of messed up shit in the past. I know that Steven Universe is set in a different historical universe (as the Gems HAVE had effects on history) but it does bring up some kind of disturbing issues. For one, the colonization of the Americas and what followed... that's not even getting into things like the Civil and Revolutionary Wars. I kind of want to see more one shot episodes about stuff they did during famous historical events.
Agreed, also does that make the Crystal Gems this world's version of Native Americans? Or did Native Americans exist and did Rose Quartz interfere with their slaughtering? SO many questions.

GasBandit

GasBandit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Final Image for Stevenbomb 3: Week of Sardonyx. Things might be getting... interesting tonight.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Final Image for Stevenbomb 3: Week of Sardonyx. Things might be getting... interesting tonight.

....IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMPLIIIIIIIIIIIIICATIONS! There are so many, HYPE!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think they just stayed in the temple, tried to warm humans off with polite signs, and stayed out of human affairs by and large. Probably most of their outings involved cleaning up after the Gem War, and considering in season 1 they were still working on that with Steven 5,000 years later, I'm guessing there's been a lot of crap to clean up.

Though I'm wondering just how much real world history even mirrors in the Steven Universe universe. Dewey's ancestor made it sound like no one had discovered the land where he founded Beach City, but it was only 200 years prior, but this isn't some random island, as the residents have driven inland and Greg went to the next state just this week. So was America only discovered in the 1800s?

Yeah, I want more information on all this.

Also, I appreciate that the episode essentially had a character saying "this fanfiction sucks" and then write a canonical treatment.[DOUBLEPOST=1437170747,1437170432][/DOUBLEPOST]Also from last night's episode, this was adorable:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yes, yes it was (reminds me of my mom).

AS FOR FRIEND SHIP-
FLYING SAUCERS CONFIRMED! Also a lot of good stuff too, Peridot's powers explored her hands being a weapon, Steven FINALLY going Captain America with his shield(They grow up so fast), and Garnet and Pearl reconciling while also us theoretically learning more about Pearl. "I'm just a Pearl, I'm useless unless someone tells me what to do", and Sardonyx showing her AWESOME drill mod for her hammer! Damn good end to the week of Sardonyx story-arch.

Now for the 3-4 weeks of hell before Steven Bomb 4.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Steven Universe

This was a great action episode. A lot happened and it was all cool. However, we're on hiatus again... which is good because apparently they're almost out of finished episodes. Expect at least a wait until September or October for more.

Peridot has a GOD DAMN mega buster AND a gravity gun. She's way more dangerous than she lets on.

Though I'm wondering just how much real world history even mirrors in the Steven Universe universe. Dewey's ancestor made it sound like no one had discovered the land where he founded Beach City, but it was only 200 years prior, but this isn't some random island, as the residents have driven inland and Greg went to the next state just this week. So was America only discovered in the 1800s?
They are in the Delmarva Peninsula with a 443 area code, so Maryland. Keystone is Pennsylvania. Charm City is Baltimore, Maryland and Empire City is PROBABLY New York.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Steven Universe
However, we're on hiatus again... which is good because apparently they're almost out of finished episodes. Expect at least a wait until September or October for more.
Ha ha ha, not to insult anyone, but THANK GOD. Now I know how my few non-PC gamer friends felt back in 1999 when all the rest of us could ever talk about was Everquest day and night.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ha ha ha, not to insult anyone, but THANK GOD. Now I know how my few non-PC gamer friends felt back in 1999 when all the rest of us could ever talk about was Everquest day and night.
It's still Summer time and most shows are in reruns. We won't see a lot of new stuff until September at the earliest... so yeah, nothing but SU and Gravity Falls to talk about right now. *shrug*

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Final note on the week of Sardonyx, people have been giving real-life bad reviews on the "Keystone Motel". Can't spell fandom, without dumb!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They are in the Delmarva Peninsula with a 443 area code, so Maryland. Keystone is Pennsylvania. Charm City is Baltimore, Maryland and Empire City is PROBABLY New York.
That's right, someone had deduced them being in Maryland since Rebecca Sugar grew up around here. The rest of that adds up.

Celt Z

Celt Z

That's such a crappy thing to do. Fans, don't be assholes.

Can't spell fandom, without dumb!
......uh, sure. Why not.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

......uh, sure. Why not.
HA, yeah it sounds better said than typed.

Well can't wait for August, one GF ep's gon' be a D&D ep, while the other will be Stan running for mayor! Both seemingly harmless premises that will probably shatter our minds in some way shape or form.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Pig Goat Banana Cricket

This...sure is a thing. The art is nice I'll give it that, but I'll need further proof of quality before I'm impressed. Also I was hoping this would sate my Venture Brothers fix because James Urbaniak was gonna voice Mantis.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And yet another Phineas and Ferb special that should TOTALLY be a full on series.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

As we're probably getting more episodes next week--sorry, Gas.

This is kind of why I thought Steven Universe should be contained in its own topic; most of the time, a new episode means there's a lot to talk about.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

As we're probably getting more episodes next week--sorry, Gas.

This is kind of why I thought Steven Universe should be contained in its own topic; most of the time, a new episode means there's a lot to talk about.
We actually haven't gotten an air date for new stuff yet. It's likely we're on break for a month or more to let the animators get more done, as they'd already said they were running low on finished episodes.

However, we do know the titles of three upcoming episodes thanks to the CN website.

Super Watermelon Island
Gem Drill
Barn Mates

Celt Z

Celt Z

Hopefully more watermelon Stevens. (The ending of the original was both hilarious and disturbing. Pearl's reaction was perfection.)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

We actually haven't gotten an air date for new stuff yet. It's likely we're on break for a month or more to let the animators get more done, as they'd already said they were running low on finished episodes.
I still think it should be a separate thread, but I wouldn't want to petition Gas for such a thing without the support of the people. We honestly didn't really give others a break talking about it between Steven Bombs.

Hopefully more watermelon Stevens. (The ending of the original was both hilarious and disturbing. Pearl's reaction was perfection.)
Come to think of it, that power hasn't manifested itself since then.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

In an attempt to add a little variety here, I decided I'd catch up on my list of "things I want to watch but can't because they aren't US shows". First up, Thunderbirds are Go! - Ring of Fire. (Episodes 1+2)

I actually really dug this opening two-parter. For those not familiar with the original show, Thunderbirds is about International Rescue, an organization made up of the four Tracy brothers and their allies Brain, Kayo, and Lady Penelope, as they go up against the international criminal The Hood and the disasters he engineers. They do this with amazing flying machines and technology designed to handle any situation, ranging from transport jets carrying cranes to submarines to rocket ships. It's got a real Super Sentai/Power Rangers feel to it at times and is decidedly kid friendly: the focus is on saving people here, not fighting, so you won't see a single punch thrown in this episode.

I feel like they really updated the series while preserving what made it awesome to begin with. It's weird mixture of CGI and models... basically, most of the environments are miniature models like on the original 60's show, but they use CGI for the vehicles (when they are doing something they can't with a model) and for the characters. However, to preserve the feel of the show they decided to give all of the characters designs sort of based on their original puppets and they give them a sort of wood/clay texture to make them match the models when in model heavy scenes (like Tracy Island). This makes it it feel a bit more like watching the original series. However, it's been updated with modern sensibilities: Kayo and Brain aren't walking ethnic stereotypes anymore, with Kayo taking on the job of their security specialist instead of just being some kid. Lady Penelope is exactly the same as before: a 60's era upper class spy with a decidedly lower class driver/bodyguard, but she still feels a bit more useful than in the original series. Even The Hood feels a bit less exploitative.

In any case, Thunderbirds are Go! is pure machine porn at it's finest, with lots of intricate model work and fun action. If you liked the original series and, like me, caught it in syndication during the 80's or are just a fan of the 2004 live action movie, there's plenty to love here. Check it out if you get a chance.

Now I need to find a place to catch Code Lyoko: Evolution. I don't get Kabillion so I can't catch it there... Hmm...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Bojack Horseman is back, and sadder than ever! In a good way of course-
Henry Winkler's speech at the end of Herb's funeral was WICKED somber, loved it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Adventure Time season 5 snuck its way onto DVD last week and we picked it up this weekend, finally getting to see what the hell happened after the season 4 cliffhanger. Well worth the wait, but I'm so glad that's resolved.

Interesting alternate reality.

I love that Jake, without meaning to, got around the "monkey paw" aspect of wishing by becoming pals with Prismo. Also loved the Cosmic Owl showing up. And that the "monkey paw" angle hit the Lich instead, and now he's ... probably back on Oo. Hrm.

Also, season 5 is fucking huge! Twice as big as the other seasons! We'll still take it slowly, but I'm just excited we have so much Adventure Time to watch.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's been 13 hours since anyone mentioned Steven Universe and I can't take it anymore.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It raises some fair points, but she at least hasn't rocked the boat during the recovery ether. Shows that do well (Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Regular Show, etc) get more seasons and the stuff that doesn't tends to be relegated to during the middle of the day (when no one is REALLY watching). She's also helped get Toonami as much new content as it can, with new shows coming in every few months (some of which have been great, like Sword Art Online).

As for the Hall of Game... meh. Even Nickelodeon does it's World Wide Day of Play (where they don't show content for something like 12 hours) and it's not a terrible thing to remind kids to go outside and have fun every once in awhile. The Hall of Game can stick around as long as it stays annual.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

From what I'm seein', the only real mistake their making is continuing to produce episodes of Teen Titans Go!, and even then I accept it as the dumb "Key-jingle" show it is....still hate it, but I accept it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Seems we'll be flooding this thread again sooner than I thought.

tumblr_nryc7eCTUY1smn4pqo1_540.png

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So SwatKats has a Kickstarter, but it's not for what you think. The main goal funds a Bible, scripts and concept art to be shopped for a new series. Funding would need to go well beyond the 50k to get the show done at all without a production company.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So SwatKats has a Kickstarter, but it's not for what you think. The main goal funds a Bible, scripts and concept art to be shopped for a new series. Funding would need to go well beyond the 50k to get the show done at all without a production company.
I could see this being on Netflix or something. Could be good.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Seems we'll be flooding this thread again sooner than I thought.

View attachment 18821
Looks like a return to new Thursdays, I'm down.

Also I REALLY hope that Swatkats kickstarter gets to at least the 22 minute episode, that'd be sweet.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And I've finished Bojack Horseman season 2. Funnier? No. Better? Yes, like SO much yes. I love all these characters, I love this show, and can not WAIT for season 3.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

A Kickstarter has begun to revive Swat Kats, led by the original creators.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I posted that literally three replies above you.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I posted that literally three replies above you.
Apologies. Sorry I missed it. Got caught in a nostalgic memory of the awesome intro music and posted it.

Still, looks like it will probably meet its basic funding goal pretty easily.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm fairly impressed with how it's doing in terms of funding, I had initially thought it might not even get halfway. Nostalgia pull seems to be helping them a lot, I suppose.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm fairly impressed with how it's doing in terms of funding, I had initially thought it might not even get halfway. Nostalgia pull seems to be helping them a lot, I suppose.
I think that's a definite factor. I've been doing a little looking back on SWAT Kats and while it's very much a product of the '90s, it's one that doesn't feel as dated or spoiled as other cartoons that are so rooted in the '90s style.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think that's a definite factor. I've been doing a little looking back on SWAT Kats and while it's very much a product of the '90s, it's one that doesn't feel as dated or spoiled as other cartoons that are so rooted in the '90s style.
I think it's because Swat Kats was pretty GRIMDARK, but to the point of full on parody. It's a dark age of comics book, written for KIDS, and it never forgets that fact. I even remember the episode where they were pushed into a non-parody grimdark universe and NO ONE was likeable.

evilmike

evilmike

TIL: Disney finally released:
Amazon product

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

TIL: Disney finally released:
Amazon product
I am shocked. No sarcasm--I just thought they didn't care and never would.

evilmike

evilmike

I am shocked. No sarcasm--I just thought they didn't care and never would.
I completely agree. I forgot to mention the kicker -- the DVD is in wide enough release that it's at WalMart.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

For whatever reason Mike's link isn't showing up for me. What is it?

PatrThom

PatrThom

For whatever reason Mike's link isn't showing up for me. What is it?
Code:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00198X0YA/
If you have an adblocker installed, you won't be able to see the Amazon links to products, even if you just paste in the link (the forum software converts the link right back into an "ad").
Try to right click the broken one and open it in a new tab just in case, that way Dave will get referrer points or whatever if you do buy it.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

So I stumbled upon this pretty rad channel on youtube while falling down one of those random youtube pits we all fall prey to every now and then (thank goodness it didn't end up as cyst popping videos):

It's a channel that focuses on comparing voices for a single character through animation and video games. It's really neat. For example, I had no idea that Richard Epcar was Joker in the DC fighting games WB made. I only ever recognize him as Gold from Macross Plus and his super deep voice. He's almost unrecognizable as Joker.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I always liked that kind of thing, though it definitely shows who the weakest voices are. There are some good ones outside Hamill, but man nobody tops his laugh. McKean's not bad either for a campy Joker. I liked Spiner in Young Justice, too.

Funny to hear how many people just do an impression of Hamill post-TAS, though.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Risky (at work) click of the day.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

I always liked that kind of thing, though it definitely shows who the weakest voices are. There are some good ones outside Hamill, but man nobody tops his laugh. McKean's not bad either for a campy Joker. I liked Spiner in Young Justice, too.

Funny to hear how many people just do an impression of Hamill post-TAS, though.
I actually liked John DiMaggio's Joker. He had a pretty fantastic laugh and brought a little more menace.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Haven't seen Under the Red Hood but I hear good things.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So I stumbled upon this pretty rad channel on youtube while falling down one of those random youtube pits we all fall prey to every now and then
In my opinion, the key to doing the best Joker characterization is to make him an entirely emotion-driven character. No weighing options. Joker gets angry, he overreacts and kills you, and possibly even smashes your mailbox to the ground with a crowbar on his way back out of your burning house. He sees a pretty girl, he sighs and does the whole kiss-your-hand-and-carry-you-across-the-street thing. And of course there's the revengedetta against The Batman for putting him in his situation in the first place. He delights in irony. He is insane, not "crazy"--when he feels an emotion, he commits to it. He is literally a caricature, and he should be portrayed accordingly. The one exception to the emotion thing is that he actively works to avoid feeling remorse for his actions.
The actors who do the best job at portraying him are the ones who let the character's emotions drive the performance. So far, I feel like Hamill has come the closest to this, and that is why his performance has been so well-received.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I finished Bojack Horseman season 2, and while I enjoyed it, I'm not sure it quite topped season 1, all things considered. There were definitely points where I was dying of second-hand anxiety, though, especially

the entire New Mexico segment. I fucking knew something was going to happen with his friend's daughter.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I finished Bojack Horseman season 2, and while I enjoyed it, I'm not sure it quite topped season 1, all things considered. There were definitely points where I was dying of second-hand anxiety, though, especially

the entire New Mexico segment. I fucking knew something was going to happen with his friend's daughter.
Yeah that was rough, the dude is a mess. I feel this season is better in drama than the first one though, especially the parts with his mother. After rewatching it in my mind my one major criticism is that there could've been more Todd, he just had more presence in season one in my opinion.

Frank

Frank

Rick and Morty is still the best show currently running, animation or otherwise. Fantastic.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"All thanks to Coldstone Creamery".

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Rick and Morty is still the best show currently running, animation or otherwise. Fantastic.
I really appreciate Rick and Morty for being totally, unapologetically willing to use the hardest of sci-fi concepts as throwaway jokes for a single episode.

fade

fade

I don't have cable. Really need to find Rick and Morty somewhere.

drifter

drifter

Season 1 is available with Hulu subscription. Free 1 month trial right now.

Second half of season 1 and start of season 2 is currently free on Adult Swim's website.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I really appreciate Rick and Morty for being totally, unapologetically willing to use the hardest of sci-fi concepts as throwaway jokes for a single episode.
That sounds like something I need to watch.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

We Bare Bears is pretty good, great animation and voice cast.

fade

fade

I watched the first Rick and Morty again. It's Adult Swim, that's for sure. Moments of gleaming brilliance surrounding by dumb annoying stuff. Like the stupid burping noises or Morty's ceaseless freaking.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I watched the first Rick and Morty again. It's Adult Swim, that's for sure. Moments of gleaming brilliance surrounding by dumb annoying stuff. Like the stupid burping noises or Morty's ceaseless freaking.
The burping actually lessens pretty quick. It's like they realized that wasn't working, though they don't abandon it completely.

fade

fade

Argh everything I type on my iPad looks like it was written by someone with a thick Swedish accent thanks to autocorrect.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Argh everything I type on my iPad looks like it was written by someone with a thick Swedish accent thanks to autocorrect.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ergh iferyzeeng I type-a oun my iPed luoks leeke-a it ves vrittee-a by sumeune-a vit a zeeck Svedeesh iccent thuonks tu ouotucurrect. Bork Bork Bork!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Time to retrain the dictionary!

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's like the early 90's threw up all over Adventure Time.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've snippits of this before. I think this is the pilot?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The pilot yeah, hope it gets greenlit.

So late last night, not tired but not awake so I decided to watch something new on Hulu. Hmmmmmm, "The dating guy"? I think that was by Teletoon, but it has three stars so it has a chance of being good!

*One episode later*

Nope, done. Very done. All these characters are annoying cliches, and the main character's design is more generic than a Sonic the Hedgehog fan character. DO NOT MAKE MY TIRED LATE NIGHT MISTAKES!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Bojack has been greenlit for season 3, coming in 2016.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yep, we're going back to New Thursdays next week... hopefully with Adventure Time or Regular Show back as well. Here's the upcoming Steven Universe episodes (read bottom to top).

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I can't wait to figure out what's actually new next week, because my damned DVR box keeps recording re-runs! They aren't even labeled as new, what the hell is going on here?!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Steven Universe pushed to September? Probably just for scheduling reasons, but still...

Aug. 6 starts New Thursday though, so we'll have a bunch of new episodes to watch at least.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Steven Universe pushed to September? Probably just for scheduling reasons, but still...

Aug. 6 starts New Thursday though, so we'll have a bunch of new episodes to watch at least.
Wait, so, is there a new episode on August 6th or not?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wait, so, is there a new episode on August 6th or not?
No, it's all getting pushed back until September. No reason is given, but it's probably to make up more of a buffer after the double Steven Bomb or to allow them to get more new episodes of We Bare Bears, Teen Titans GO!, or Regular Show out. All three of those are getting new episodes on Thursday too. Don't know about Gumball.

Current New Thursday Line-Up is
Teen Titans Go! 6-6:30
We Bare Bears 6:30-7
Gumball 7-7:30
Regular Show 7:30-8

Steven Universe usually takes the 6 or 6:30 slot, so I'm guessing it'll go to 6:30 in September because Teen Titans is a money maker.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I really like Bobs burgers. I'm on season three now. I feel bad, when I first saw commercials I thought it looked like a trash show that'd get cancelled quickly. I've been missing out.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I really like Bobs burgers. I'm on season three now. I feel bad, when I first saw commercials I thought it looked like a trash show that'd get cancelled quickly. I've been missing out.
That's what EVERYONE thought. Now it's a mainstay of both FOX and AdultSwim. That's what happens when you awards right out of the gate.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, just ran across a video that listed the entire cast of Steven Universe. A few surprises in there for me.

Estelle as Garnet. American Boy was my jam.

Joel Hodgsen from MST3K as Mayor Dewey. I knew I recognized that voice.

Sinbad as Coach Smiley.

Aimee Mann as Opal.

Nicki Minaj as Sugilite.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Gravity Falls: Nice little bonding episode with Dipper and Stanford, with a KICK ASS cliff-hanger at the ends. Best line: "Those must have been some dark times the 90s."

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

We Bare Bears

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we have feels. I was not expecting legit back-story, neat!.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Presented without comment

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Rick and Morty is the smartest Sci-Fi show I've seen in years... and still less troubling than Back to the Future.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And I finished MTV's Downtown, ...anyone else think this was Regular Show before Regular Show existed? Alex=Mordecai, Goat=Rigby/Muscleman, Serena=Margaret, Jen=Cloudy Jay/Starla(as many theorize Goat and her hooked up for obvious reasons). Even so I wish I could warp through the TV and say "DUDE! Serena, SUCKS! Date literally anyone else! Date the chick who used to have a penis for all I care, at least she had a real persona instead of being a goth cam-whore!" Seriously if he lost it with Jen, Teeny was a safe bet, nice girl there.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

And I finished MTV's Downtown, ...anyone else think this was Regular Show before Regular Show existed? Alex=Mordecai, Goat=Rigby/Muscleman, Serena=Margaret, Jen=Cloudy Jay/Starla(as many theorize Goat and her hooked up for obvious reasons). Even so I wish I could warp through the TV and say "DUDE! Serena, SUCKS! Date literally anyone else! Date the chick who used to have a penis for all I care, at least she had a real persona instead of being a goth cam-whore!" Seriously if he lost it with Jen, Teeny was a safe bet, nice girl there.
Now you need to watch Megas XLR, which ALSO features Goat. Yes, it's the SAME GUY in two wildly different universes. He's also made a brief cameo on Metalocalypse.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Now you need to watch Megas XLR, which ALSO features Goat. Yes, it's the SAME GUY in two wildly different universes. He's also made a brief cameo on Metalocalypse.

"I said everything in that pile is two bucks!" (pile falls away to reveal 500 foot battle robot).

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

"I said everything in that pile is two bucks!" (pile falls away to reveal 500 foot battle robot).
I'll never understand Cartoon Network sometimes... they hated Megas XLR and Symbionic Titan SO MUCH that they've completed written the shows off legally and can never do anything with them again. They don't even know who owns the rights anymore or even care.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

LOVED Megas XLR, and watching Downtown it was super weird seeing a universe where Goat got layed all the time. And yes Cartoon Newtwork hates robots for some reason.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

On today's TMNT, the turtles fight a giant mutant Shredder with the Turtle Mech...what are you doing just reading this post- GO WATCH THE EPISODE!

And onto Steven Universe news, Cartoon Network released 25 names for upcoming episodes with NO description as a way of torturing the fan-base.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Rick and Morty

I am always surprised by how clever this show is, but also by how surprisingly dark it is. It doesn't pull punches about anything that happens on the show.

Like gunning down that last parasite and it turning out to be real. On any other show that would be a throw away gag but here you get to see the panicked look on everyone's faces as he slowly dies, while Morty's Mom sobs as she shakily pours another glass of wine, trying to forget it ever happened. That's SO completely fucked up.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Rick and Morty

I am always surprised by how clever this show is, but also by how surprisingly dark it is. It doesn't pull punches about anything that happens on the show.

Like gunning down that last parasite and it turning out to be real. On any other show that would be a throw away gag but here you get to see the panicked look on everyone's faces as he slowly dies, while Morty's Mom sobs as she shakily pours another glass of wine, trying to forget it ever happened. That's SO completely fucked up.
First airing is while I'm driving to work, and of course my only customers of the night so far were during the second. I'll have to catch up on the bits I missed when I get home. :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

evilmike

evilmike

Rick and Morty

The only way it could have been darker would have been if Joss Whedon was involved with the show -- the joke would have been finding out that a regular character was a parasite all along and then killing them.

Best line of the night was probably "What is this, '90's Conan'"?

And onto Steven Universe news, Cartoon Network released 25 names for upcoming episodes with NO description as a way of torturing the fan-base.
"Same Old World"
"Hit the Diamond"
"Steven Floats"
"Too Short to Ride"
"Drop Beat Dad"
"Mr. Greg"
"The New Lars"
"Beach City Drift"
"Restaurant Wars"
"Kiki's Pizza Service Delivery"
"Monster Reunion"
"Alone at Sea"
"Greg the Babysitter"
"Gem Hunt"
"Crack the Whip"
"Steven vs. Amethyst"
"Beta Part 1"
"Earthlings Part 2"
"Back 2 the Moon Part 3"
"Bubbled"
"The Kindergarten Kid"
"Gem Harvest"
"Know Your Fusion"
"Tiger Philanthropist"
"Last One Out of Beach City"
[Rick's Voice]
Was this the list, Yoshi?
It looks like someone doesn't like to share.
Congratulations, you're a real poster and not a brain parasite.
[/Rick's Voice]

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Heh, sorry about that. Two eps I'm looking forward to are "Kiki's Delivery Service"(About TIME she got some development) and "Monster Reunion" as there's a HIGH chance Centipeetle will be in it because of that name...or Steven will pop all the monster bubbles and they all become chibi-monsters- EITHER WAY I'm cool.

Best line from Rick and Morty last night-
Beth: UH- I need some time to get over sleepy Gary.

Jerry:...me too.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Rick and Morty

Really, you think that's more fucked up then
him telling her through the nurse that he's sorry for her not having any bad memories with him?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Really, you think that's more fucked up then
him telling her through the nurse that he's sorry for her not having any bad memories with him?
To be perfectly honest, nothing beats...

Morty almost getting raped by King Jelly Bean in "Meeseeks and Destroy". At the same time, Rick had probably one of the most legitimately heartwarming moments in the series when he made that fucking jelly bean PAY. Really, as often as they portray attempted rapes in this show (3 and counting, plus the one where Summer's boyfriend mentions he'd been violated before), at least it's never FUNNY when it happens.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, holy SHIT was Rick and Morty dark.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Rick and Morty Spoilers

After all the negative continuity, I can't believe they actually did that to a major character. I wonder if they're actually going to have the guts to have Mr. Poopybutthole not be living there next episode.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Okay, we've started Rick and Morty and I'm all onboard for this shit.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I, too, intend to start watching this. I'm almost through Malcolm In the Middle's third season and I need something else to watch for a while.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

To be perfectly honest, nothing beats...

Morty almost getting raped by King Jelly Bean in "Meeseeks and Destroy". At the same time, Rick had probably one of the most legitimately heartwarming moments in the series when he made that fucking jelly bean PAY. Really, as often as they portray attempted rapes in this show (3 and counting, plus the one where Summer's boyfriend mentions he'd been violated before), at least it's never FUNNY when it happens.
It's impossible for me to not say FUCK YEAH whenever I see him shoot that beany bastard. I also like that after the nastiness, Rick was REALLY nice to Morty, my favorite episodes of any character are the ones where they can show themselves being the opposite of what they are.

fade

fade

I highly recommend Rick and Morty. The first episode is weak, but it immediately gets much better.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I highly recommend Rick and Morty. The first episode is weak, but it immediately gets much better.
Hell, I just watched the first episode and it sold me.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Rick and Morty Spoilers

After all the negative continuity, I can't believe they actually did that to a major character. I wonder if they're actually going to have the guts to have Mr. Poopybutthole not be living there next episode.
Someone doesn't watch the after credits scenes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hell, I just watched the first episode and it sold me.
The pre-intro had me laughing just because I've seen that villain motivation many times.

And surprise in the credits--Dan Harmon is the co-creator.

Although now with all these spoilers, I'm feeling like non-Steven Universe watchers must feel.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ha. I didn't click the spoilers! THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME BITCHES

blotsfan

blotsfan

Someone doesn't watch the after credits scenes.
Would you live somewhere where the occupant shot you?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Ha. I didn't click the spoilers! THIS IS ALL NEW TO ME BITCHES
I just meant seeing a page full of spoilers I can't touch :p. It'll be fun to go through them once caught up.

I wish it was this easy to catch up on Steven Universe. All of Rick and Morty is up on online on Adult Swim, so it's pretty easy to dig in.

fade

fade

I see this, but it requires a cable company login.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just meant seeing a page full of spoilers I can't touch :p. It'll be fun to go through them once caught up.

I wish it was this easy to catch up on Steven Universe. All of Rick and Morty is up on online on Adult Swim, so it's pretty easy to dig in.
Stupid adultswim.com blocks chromecasting, so I'm pirating it just to spite them.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I see this, but it requires a cable company login.
Plus it's not the whole thing.

I mean, it's possible to buy half seasons on Amazon, but I really wish they'd just put out the damn DVDs. And not random mish-mash of episodes, but full seasons.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Plus it's not the whole thing.

I mean, it's possible to buy half seasons on Amazon, but I really wish they'd just put out the damn DVDs. And not random mish-mash of episodes, but full seasons.
I don't understand what you mean, the full Season 1 DVD/Blurays have been out for a while, and Amazon sells the entire first season for streaming (I know because I bought it).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't understand what you mean, the full Season 1 DVD/Blurays have been out for a while, and Amazon sells the entire first season for streaming (I know because I bought it).
I'm gonna go hide in a corner.

(My brain reverted to Steven Universe; so took the conversation in that direction. Sorry, this is time for Rick and Morty right now.)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Regular Show

...wait a minute-
-Margaret is capable of being in plots that AREN'T about the romantic bull-crap between her and Mordo? THIS IS NEWS OF THE CENTURY! Also loved that CJ cameo, that's some silent rage right there. I wonder if she still hangs with Eileen?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

GasBandit

GasBandit

More like "Beh... BUUUURRPPcause wuwuwuwuwhy not, Morty?!"

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Anyone see Strange Hill High? Its pretty good, and Josh Weinstein from the Simpsons writes for it.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So for whatever reason Netflix is suddenly missing the second season of a bunch of cartoons now. Young Justice, for one thing, only has the first season now.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So for whatever reason Netflix is suddenly missing the second season of a bunch of cartoons now. Young Justice, for one thing, only has the first season now.
Yeah that happens sometimes, still better than when their missing the first season though. Seriously, how the fuck could I get invested by jumping into the second season? Dragon Ball Z was mildly confusing enough!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah just sucks since I was rewatching and didn't realize that season was missing.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I don't recall them ever having season 2 of YJ. I had to find it by.... other means.[DOUBLEPOST=1440319167,1440319134][/DOUBLEPOST]They only have one season of most CN shows.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't recall them ever having season 2 of YJ. I had to find it by.... other means.[DOUBLEPOST=1440319167,1440319134][/DOUBLEPOST]They only have one season of most CN shows.
They did for awhile at least, that's where I saw it.

I know other superhero cartoons went from multiple seasons to one to gone, too, like X-Men Evolution. Meant to watch it, by the time I remembered it was missing episodes.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Young Justice, for one thing, only has the first season now.
What are you talking about? Young Justice only has one season.
harumph_crossed.gif

GasBandit

GasBandit

This Rick and Morty improv table read gets REALLY nsfw REALLY fast.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh and something to think about...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And that was Aqua Teen Hunger Force, on the one hand it was sad seeing something from my childhood go(literally everyone in my class thought the adult thing was a joke), but on the other hand it actually had the balls to fucking end so thanks for that.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Never watched the show (and I heard it was pretty awful), but it seems Johnny Test has been cancelled.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT.

*Gets schwifty with it*

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Never watched the show (and I heard it was pretty awful), but it seems Johnny Test has been cancelled.
Which makes me remarkably happy. They pushed that show SO HARD because it cost pennies to make and air, but no one liked it. It was... just kind of terrible.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

PatrThom

PatrThom

Never watched the show (and I heard it was pretty awful).
Me neither, but that's a shame. It sounds like the material had a lot of potential.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Gravity Falls

Pretty normal episode, not much to say- HOLY CRAP THAT ENDING!
Also, glad to know Gideon is still relevant, I missed that little creep.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Bojak Horseman is a little too real...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Bojak Horseman is a little too real...
Yes, yes it is. From Bojack's mom telling him that his misery is his birthright, to that bit in Arizona, one often wonders if they'll drop the comedy angle completely.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Regular Show

So... Benson, Mordecai, and Rigby just killed like a dozen people, right? Those guys they darted in the flying machines had to crash to their deaths.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Regular Show

So... Benson, Mordecai, and Rigby just killed like a dozen people, right? Those guys they darted in the flying machines had to crash to their deaths.
WELCOME TO REGULAR SHOW! Hell in season 3,
200 cool folks were killed on a Death Star by them when they were trying to escape.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Also Richard Fulcher was on tonight's Gumball as-
Richard's dead-beat dad...who is a mouse apparently making Gumball half cat, quarter mouse, quarter rabbit WHO for some reason looks like a cat.
Love that guy's voice.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Watching Transformers Prime, while still LOVING it one question permeates that I have wondered since the original 1984 cartoon...why don't they give their human friends guns? I mean, HOLY SHIT they know Autobot secrets from minor to useful, Decepticons want to logically murder them, give them some fucking defenses! How hard could it BE for Ratchet to make a null ray, not that hard I'd think. And hell-
Miko literally helped kill an Insecticon in one episode! And these are the pussy ass Insecticlones from G1 made from scrap metal, these are Aligned continuity Insecticons which are so strong that only the entire team Prime combined can they have a chance of taking them out(also the third rail of a subway, but that can kill anything)!
Just saying is all.

Frank

Frank

Because it's a kids show for kids.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Dude, they wouldn't even give the kids guns in the 80's when it was alright for Loony Tunes characters to out and out MURDER each other. Why would they EVER do it now?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Dude, they wouldn't even give the kids guns in the 80's when it was alright for Loony Tunes characters to out and out MURDER each other. Why would they EVER do it now?
To be fair, the older Looney Tunes were supposed to be for an adult audience (or shown before films in the news reels). Between the 50's allowing cartoons to be shown on tv and the popularity of Disney, suddenly everyone thinks animation is for kids. The crack-down on violence and other non-child "safe" stuff started in the 70's. It's pretty amazing you can even show a weapon now. ;)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

To be fair, the older Looney Tunes were supposed to be for an adult audience (or shown before films in the news reels). Between the 50's allowing cartoons to be shown on tv and the popularity of Disney, suddenly everyone thinks animation is for kids. The crack-down on violence and other non-child "safe" stuff started in the 70's. It's pretty amazing you can even show a weapon now. ;)

Starts at 11:02. :)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

"Keep Summer safe."
Daddy?
I am so going to hell for laughing like crazy at those scenes.

Worth it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Or a beer.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

"Keep Summer safe."
Daddy?
I am so going to hell for laughing like crazy at those scenes.

Worth it.
That was some of the purest, most evil shit I've ever seen.

Ironically, Rick is right: It wasn't slavery (at first)... the people involved don't know their existence depends on outputting this power and Rick never used the threat of force to make them to comply, even if he would replace the battery (killing them all). They were simply doing it to power things for themselves. It's only when Rick returns to his home universe and the battery works because he'll make a new battery and shut off the old one (killing everyone in that multiverse) if it doesn't that it becomes slavery because now everyone is involved in the project against their will and knows it. Morty talking about this and Rick admitting it certainly is NOW should have been the post credits scene.

Of course, this entire plot has a single glaring problem: because of the time dilation, the second Rick's battery shut off, someone along the multiverse line (and there should have been an infinite number of them once the second appeared because of the multiplying effect of the time dilation) should have realized what was going on LONG before Rick made them realize it. At some point, someone should have had a battery that stopped working long before Rick's did and they should have discovered a work around to appease both themselves and both higher/lower levels, which would then propagate to higher levels as a precautionary measure. In fact, Rick's battery should have NEVER shut off... rather, he should have been visited by his Battery Universe Equal the second the battery conked out to tell him that it'll be back on in a few minutes and that he should probably build THIS so he doesn't piss of his superiors (not knowing that Rick started the chain).

All that said... I'm kind of excited that a mere cartoon made me think about the issue deeply enough to come up with that.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And done watching all of Transformers Prime, damn good show, not the best Transformers show but definitely not the worst. Takes heed from ALL across the Transformers metaseries, hell one episode was a clear homage to an "Animated" episode but it...ended it a bit darker than it predecessor-
Death's a better fate for a Starscream clone than cartoon limbo I suppose.
My only real qualms lie in the last season "Beast Hunters" as well...fossil finders would've been a better name. Hell, there were only
THREE real Predacons, the rest were just damn props! Totally, AWESOME looking props that should've been given names!
And yes while I hate being that guy, I also find it annoying that the main Predacon's name was Predaking...and wasn't a gestalt. Just saying, I find it irksome.

And out of impatience, I ALSO finished "Transformers: Robots in Disguise"...can't wait to watch it on TV because that crappy loading due to constant ads made the animation look even choppier. All in all though a good lighthearted sequel series, two qualms though...why couldn't the Autobots turn their arms into guns or swords? Was it solely to advertise the Decepticon hunter accessories? It gets even weirder since-
Megatronus was able to turn his hand into a drill, why the hell did he keep the awesome weapon hands?
Prime had the bots getting new weapons all the time, but STILL kept their awesome gun-sword-hands. Also, why didn't Bee call his best pal Raphael during his time here like- AT ALL! They were total bros in Prime, but he wasn't even mentioned once! Either way it was okay on its own, and I feel a second season could fix any problems this one had.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So apparently "Red Vs. Blue Season 13" has started...20 odd weeks ago. And I am going to binge the SHIT out of the main episodes so I can enjoy the series finale properly when it airs.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Finally caught few episodes of the Transformers show that started a few months back. This is surprisingly good... too bad it's on at fucking 6:30 in the morning or I'd watch it live.

Steven Universe starts next Thursday so be prepared for the thread to get inundated again!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

blotsfan

blotsfan

Now, I'm not complaining, but does Fxx air anything that isn't the Simpsons?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Family Guy!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Fox ADHD! Though...it's usually just one new short a week that's like a minute long, despite the FUCKING commercials claiming there's a new Major Lazer EVERY WEEK! As well as re-runs of shows that may or may not be green-lit for a second season.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

About two-thirds through Rick and Morty season 1, just finished "Rixty Seconds."

Listening to all that improv was hilarious. You could keep hearing the pauses and laughter; I loved it. This episode really felt like a shift in the show to make clear what it is--it had the aforementioned silliness, and then referenced more than one previous episode as if declaring "yes, we're doing continuity," and then also had a nice moment near the end that I didn't really see coming.

Looking forward to seeing what's ahead.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Unicorns is dicks, nuff said.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's the point!

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

About two-thirds through Rick and Morty season 1, just finished "Rixty Seconds."

Listening to all that improv was hilarious. You could keep hearing the pauses and laughter; I loved it. This episode really felt like a shift in the show to make clear what it is--it had the aforementioned silliness, and then referenced more than one previous episode as if declaring "yes, we're doing continuity," and then also had a nice moment near the end that I didn't really see coming.

Looking forward to seeing what's ahead.
Alien invasion tomato monster mexican armada brothers who are just regular brothers running in a van from an asteroid and all sorts of things THE MOVIE

@Li3n

@Li3n

Family Guy!
He clearly said something that's NOT The Simpsons.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Alien invasion tomato monster mexican armada brothers who are just regular brothers running in a van from an asteroid and all sorts of things THE MOVIE
And he typed it all from memory, folks!

Celt Z

Celt Z

This episode had me laughing pretty hard.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Last year's great mini-series Over the Garden Wall is finally out on DVD today. Go pick it up if you like physical media, check it out on Hulu Plus if you prefer to stream, or simply buy the episodes on Amazon, iTunes, or Youtube. I haven't heard if they are going to re-show it again this year so now is a great time to check it out.

Here's the first episode (from CN's own Youtube page) for the people who haven't seen the series yet.

It's only 10 episodes, with a run time of about 2 hours. It's a great way to waste an afternoon and feel REALLY nostalgic about growing up.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This episode had me laughing pretty hard.
Straight up, also Wendy was freaking rad again. Not a day goes by that I'm not glad she developed into a badass Lumberjill in season 2.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Last year's great mini-series Over the Garden Wall is finally out on DVD today. Go pick it up if you like physical media, check it out on Hulu Plus if you prefer to stream, or simply buy the episodes on Amazon, iTunes, or Youtube. I haven't heard if they are going to re-show it again this year so now is a great time to check it out.

Here's the first episode (from CN's own Youtube page) for the people who haven't seen the series yet.

It's only 10 episodes, with a run time of about 2 hours. It's a great way to waste an afternoon and feel REALLY nostalgic about growing up.
Gonna get the DVD at some point. And maybe CN will release proper Steven Universe seasons so I can buy those too.

Prepping thread for takeover in 47 hours.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And that was Red Vs. Blue...DAMMIT!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The Awesomes

While not the funniest show to tackle the subject, still a damn good show.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Just a reminder. ;) And Li'l Steven!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Just finished Bojack season 2... damn.

It's pretty good writing when a character does something awful and I still sympathize with it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah he's probably one of the more "Real" jerks in cartoons, along with Rick Sanchez.

STEVEN UNIVERSE!

Gem mutants
, familial bonding, and Doctor Gero, damn good episode.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Why are there Gem Mutants loose? Did Peridot wake more up?[/quote]

Celt Z

Celt Z

Steven Universe
This was a big step for Connie. Letting her mom know what's going on (and her mom being okay with it!) is pretty huge for her training. She was a bad ass with Rose's sword.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441925666,1441925616][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why are there Gem Mutants loose? Did Peridot wake more up?
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to say yes, this is further proof of her mission.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I cannot find a place to watch it online.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Found it, didn't even consider DailyMotion.

I'm glad that between trying to keep a tighter grip on Connie vs weighing control and being part of her life, Connie's mom chose the latter. Many parents do not and inadvertantly teach their kids to be really good liars out of necessity.[/spoilers]

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Either the Clusters are Peridot's doing, or the Homeworld Gems planted Clusters in other places than Facet Five. They could be ANYWHERE!

And once again, Steven Universe makes me want to see warrior Stevonnie in action.
[DOUBLEPOST=1441927743,1441927588][/DOUBLEPOST]
Either the Clusters are Peridot's doing, or the Homeworld Gems planted Clusters in other places than Facet Five. They could be ANYWHERE!

And once again, Steven Universe makes me want to see warrior Stevonnie in action.

FINAL NOTE- what if Doctor West KNEW WHAT THEY REALLY WERE?! CONSPIRACY! GREAT DIAMOND AUTHORITAH!
Found it, didn't even consider DailyMotion.

I'm glad that between trying to keep a tighter grip on Connie vs weighing control and being part of her life, Connie's mom chose the latter. Many parents do not and inadvertantly teach their kids to be really good liars out of necessity.[/spoilers]
Agreed, plus I like how even though they say that while what Connie did was wrong, she only did it because her parents were both too controlling and too inattentive. The good doctor caught this just in time, and they will be stronger because of it.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Just finished Bojack season 2... damn.

It's pretty good writing when a character does something awful and I still sympathize with it.
I was so glad when he told the deer girl to just go to bed. Fucking bojak

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I was so glad when he told the deer girl to just go to bed. Fucking bojak
Yeah... but he didn't specify whose bed.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

By the way... new ending credits song this week.

My thoughts on the new lyrics?

I always thought I might be bad Now I’m sure that it’s true
"I barely know you." - Greg
"That's a good thing." - Rose

Cos I think you’re so good
And I’m nothing like you.​

"How are we gonna make this work?" - Greg
"Fusion?" - Rose
"No, us! We're really, really different." - Greg

Basically, this is just further evidence for the "Rose used to be as bad as the Homeworld Gems, at least until the Gem War" theory. As bad as Rose was about how she treated humans, it's clear she sees something in them that she didn't see in the Gems and that drove her to defend them. I'm starting to wonder if this quality is what made giving birth to Steven a possibility and if it's something the Homeworld Gems would want for themselves if they ever figured it out.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If they haven't already, someone is going to do their PhD dissertation on Steven Universe. One look at @Zero Esc's tumblr feed will tell you that. :p

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If they haven't already, someone is going to do their PhD dissertation on Steven Universe. One look at @Zero Esc's tumblr feed will tell you that. :p
It's already getting a lot of academic attention for being one of the first (and most popular) children's shows to depict a male child as anything other than a testosterone fueled trickster... but yes, assuming the show gets a proper ending some day, it's going to be one of those things that gets brought up in Gender Studies for years to come. It's take on masculinity and femininity (or rather it's allowance to let the characters decide what these things mean to themselves) is pretty groundbreaking in American television, as is it's willingness to portray Greg as both a loving dad who accepts his son fully and a grieving husband who really doesn't know how to move on. There's a lot to talk about in the show.

Really, a lot of animation these days gets this treatment. I could easily write 1000-2000+ words on Over The Garden Wall's symbolism in regards to cultural depictions of the after-life, it's Millennial-vs-Boomer outlook, or it's open and honest viewpoint on young male's views regarding women. Adventure Time's subversion of the Hero's Journey, it's positive depiction of women (especially now that the show is willing to admit that Princess Bubblegum is basically a villain), and it's depiction of mental illness (as personified in Ice King's dementia) as something to be unafraid of already gets a lot of play in culture academics. This is the second Golden Age of Animation.

Celt Z

Celt Z

It's already getting a lot of academic attention for being one of the first (and most popular) children's shows to depict a male child as anything other than a testosterone fueled trickster... but yes, assuming the show gets a proper ending some day, it's going to be one of those things that gets brought up in Gender Studies for years to come. It's take on masculinity and femininity (or rather it's allowance to let the characters decide what these things mean to themselves) is pretty groundbreaking in American television, as is it's willingness to portray Greg as both a loving dad who accepts his son fully and a grieving husband who really doesn't know how to move on. There's a lot to talk about in the show.
Li'l Z hasn't taken a huge interest in superheroes. He seems mildly interested, but they haven't captured his attention like anything with talking vehicles. But he's fallen instantly for Steven Universe. He sat down and watched "Nightmare Hospital" with me the other day (which I thought was going to be too intense for him), but he LOVED it. He's been going around the house with a large plastic bowl, saying he's Steven and he's using his "bubble shield". He asks me to put on more episodes every chance he gets. He's too young to be able to pick his brain about this, but I'd love to hear why Steven appeals to him more than a lot of the other hero-faire, even age-appropriate stuff like Miles from Tomorrowland.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Steven Universe is just amazing. And from the episode count hinted by the crew, we're only about halfway through the story, and nowadays it seems most episodes advance the plot or characters in a meaningful way. The level of thought and depth applied to it is just astounding for any TV show, let alone what's looked at as a kid's cartoon.

And while it is groundbreaking, it never forgets to be a good story. The "Stronger Than You" scene could've just been some tacked on message, but it's also the climax of the season and has the action and emotional weight, on top of a major plot twist (whether or not you got the hints to it), and just a moment of triumph for the characters, theme, storytelling, everything. I love in the next episode when Amethyst is shouting "WE WON!" and her excitement is so raw because it's bolstered by disbelief. They had everything going against them and still came out on top, and it's beautiful.[DOUBLEPOST=1442066975,1442066816][/DOUBLEPOST]
Li'l Z hasn't taken a huge interest in superheroes. He seems mildly interested, but they haven't captured his attention like anything with talking vehicles. But he's fallen instantly for Steven Universe. He sat down and watched "Nightmare Hospital" with me the other day (which I thought was going to be too intense for him), but he LOVED it. He's been going around the house with a large plastic bowl, saying he's Steven and he's using his "bubble shield". He asks me to put on more episodes every chance he gets. He's too young to be able to pick his brain about this, but I'd love to hear why Steven appeals to him more than a lot of the other hero-faire, even age-appropriate stuff like Miles from Tomorrowland.
When the little kids watching Steven Universe get older, they're going to be able to look back on it and discover so much the way many of us have been able to look back on Batman: The Animated Series and discover so many great things we enjoyed without even understanding them at the time.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

A lot of people ask this and it really seems simple to me: it's because Steven and Connie get to act like real kids and kids can relate to this. Both of them get to be brave and strong, but they also get to be scared and insecure and unsure of what their feelings are. Connie is willing to fight actual monsters but is terrified of telling her mother of what is going on in her life. Steven basically saves the world with the Gems on a daily basis, but after seeing his dad freak out he's worried about how Connie will take it. He's especially appealing to kids that have lost a parent or live away from one: Steven doesn't know WHAT to feel about his mom... she's just this abstract person he's never met and never really will. Steven lives away from his dad but gets to see him regularly, like any divorcee kid. All of this stuff is deeply real and resonates with kids.

It also helps that the show isn't BORING. It's a drama/comedy/action/musical/etc... but most importantly, it's full of interesting characters that aren't boring. Pearl is smart but also incredibly full of herself. Garnet is tough and cool but also caring and sensitive. Amethyst is rash and irresponsible but also the only Gem who treats Steven like an equal and is the first to expose him to new things. Greg's a goof but he's also serious about being in his son's life. Steven's a kid living out a nightmare/fantasy but he has agency in his life and makes a realistic difference. Best of all, they are ALL bad asses in their own way... even Greg nails a monster with his van when Steven's in danger.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I also wonder if part of it is Steven being a defensive character. Li'l Z's never liked violence, but he loves stuff with action (vehicles racing, sporty stuff, etc.). Steven is usually the one to protect the people around with with his shield or his bubbles, plus his healing abilities. I've also noticed that unlike a lot of media aimed at boys, Steven is more interested in being a team player as opposed to a leader. He wants to learn about his powers to contribute. He's happy to let Connie use his mother's sword and take the offensive lead.

I agree with @AshburnerX, Steven acts like a genuine boy, but there is something very unique about him at the same time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I agree with @AshburnerX, Steven acts like a genuine boy, but there is something very unique about him at the same time.
I think what's unique is that he's usually empathetic, even for things that don't matter. We see boys in other stuff be empathetic for the moral of the episode, and then they go back to being the same Timmy Turner archetype.

Nostalgia Critic pointed out a good example in one vlog; when Jamie is first introduced in "Hamburger Packpack," he mentions offhand getting in trouble if Steven doesn't sign for his package, and Steven says "that's terrible!" before signing for it and going home with his package. Critic points out, there's no need for that reaction. It could be cut out and wouldn't change what happens in the episode. But it gives an insight into what kind of person Steven is.

Hell, an episode like that has so much going for it. I love that the Gems coming around to Steven's side on the backpack isn't saved for the end of the episode--they actually get behind him pretty early and are unanimous about it, chanting for him. And then he blows it at the end of the episode anyway! And they're understanding about it.

Probably almost every episode has a few things worth discussing or praising. There are so many great moments that it's hard not to gush about them.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

One thing I thought was a little weird, that hospital was EXTREMELY people lacking for a place that size. Something is up with that place.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

One thing I thought was a little weird, that hospital was EXTREMELY people lacking for a place that size. Something is up with that place.
Small country hospitals are rarely that big or active at night and Beach City is supposed to out in the boonies. It's actually pretty common for small hospitals to be like that at night.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Small country hospitals are rarely that big or active at night and Beach City is supposed to out in the boonies. It's actually pretty common for small hospitals to be like that at night.
I'll give you location, but it looked PRET-ty big. Like too big for a small town now that I think of it. Either way something is going down there, I find it skeptical that the hospital director believed they were actually accident victims, and I suspect its part of the cover-up that Mayor Dewey alluded to.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Rick and Morty

Today we learned that placing your consciousness in a cloned body isn't the answer...was not expecting it to end that bloody though, dear LORD that shit was crazy.

Also dear LORD I love this show's character designs, Xenomorph Beth was AWESOME!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not so sure. The entire issue Rick had was that...

- Being a teenager sucks
- His old body was still around.

If his old body had died and he'd been stuck as Tiny Rick, there would be some adjustments to make but there really isn't any reason someone as deranged as Rick couldn't have done it. If anything, his teenage hormones are what ruined the experience for him, not the LIVING FORVER part.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You guys need to get your shit together. Get it all together, and put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it's together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, then take it somewhere, you know? Take it to the shit store and sell it. Or put it in a shit museum, I don't care what you do. You just gotta get it together. Get your shit together.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

More news rather than just my thoughts on a recent show, but Nickelodeon has announced they're launching a new channel known as The Splat. It is a channel that will focus on their '90s programming.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

More news rather than just my thoughts on a recent show, but Nickelodeon has announced they're launching a new channel known as The Splat. It is a channel that will focus on their '90s programming.
This isn't a terrible move. Outside of Spongebob Squarepants, they haven't had a BIG hit outside of Avatar and Legend of Korra. All of their most fondly remembered stuff is from 2000 or earlier... especially their live action stuff like Salute Your Shorts, Clarissa Explains it All, Wild and Crazy Kids, and The Adventures of Pete and Pete.

The real irony of this is that this was what NickToons was originally for, but it became a place to do reruns instead. Same with Boomerang and Disney XD.

evilmike

evilmike

TIL: The new Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon has a soundtrack of licensed 70's music:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3cm2Ef8-kplrn7uewf5vwoR9-lRHWwF9

(via io9)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'ma say it, if I see one more Satan damned Simpsons episode where Lisa "makes a friend for the first time" I'ma destroy Fox studios!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Maybe they should try doing one where Homer gets a new job. That could lead to some hijinks.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Those I'm (slightly more) okay when it goes back to the status quo its brought up again. But every time Lisa gains a new friend nowadays, they say she NEVER had friends before, disregarding the episodes where she was seen hanging out with several girls as far back as the damned nineties.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Those I'm (slightly more) okay when it goes back to the status quo its brought up again. But every time Lisa gains a new friend nowadays, they say she NEVER had friends before, disregarding the episodes where she was seen hanging out with several girls as far back as the damned nineties.
But Lisa was born in 2007!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Right, early 2010s(does this world have a Franklin Richards or something?).

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You guys need to get your shit together. Get it all together, and put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it's together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, then take it somewhere, you know? Take it to the shit store and sell it. Or put it in a shit museum, I don't care what you do. You just gotta get it together. Get your shit together.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Moonbeam City

Its...pretty much Archer, but with Rob Lowe instead of Jon H.Benjamin. Pretty much the only thing going for it is it's art style.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

South Park

I was pretty sure with last season but...yeah I think I'm done with South Park. I mean WOW-how did they make Cartman getting the shit beat out of him not funny?
Th-hat's supposed to be comedy gold! But instead I actually sympathize with him! CARTMAN! HOW THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN?!

Also I get the satire of Social Justice warriors as bros satire , but it was just SO hammered in that it wasn't funny. Its like when you predict the punch-line to a joke, but it KEEPS going on, that was this piece of crap episode. I'm sorry but it was not funny, they can do better than this, they have done better, this episode sucked.

Also, I REALLY hope PC-Principal isn't going to be a recurring character like fans have predicted, he just isn't funny.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yeah, it had its moments but overall it came across as old people complaining about the younger generation in a way that wasn't funny.

And yeah, it really sounded like pc-principal is coming back.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Steven Universe

This week's episode is Sadie's Song. Nothing too spoilery this week... just a fun episode about Sadie, her mom, and Steven.

Though the bit with Steven coming out and singing in drag was pretty epic.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm seeing a mom theme these episodes. Wonder where it's leading.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm seeing a mom theme these episodes. Wonder where it's leading.
I wonder if Greg's parents are still around... and what they thought of him marrying an 8 foot tall magic Gem lady?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Did they every mention if Greg and Rose actually got married?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Did they every mention if Greg and Rose actually got married?
I imagine it was a common law thing... Greg was a lot younger when he first met Rose than he was when Steven was born. If they were living together, romantically, then they were de facto married.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

On the topic of parents, anyone else notice that almost ALL the parents shown in this series are single? The only exception is Vidalia/Yellowtail, which makes me even MORE suspicious of them. Anyone who sires Onion HAS to have secrets behind them.

Celt Z

Celt Z

It's possible. But since Greg built the beach house when Steven was a kid and I doubt he lived in the cave, I don't know it counts towards common law. Or maybe Rose lived in the van? Eh, probably not. Pearl would've lost her mind. :)

Just going to have to wait until they fill in the gaps. Meh.[DOUBLEPOST=1442546121,1442545823][/DOUBLEPOST]
On the topic of parents, anyone else notice that almost ALL the parents shown in this series are single? The only exception is Vidalia/Yellowtail, which makes me even MORE suspicious of them. Anyone who sires Onion HAS to have secrets behind them.
True, or at least we haven't met their spouse. There might be a Mrs. Fryman or Mrs. Dewey. The only ones I can think of are the Maheshwarans and Vidalia and Yellowtail.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

True, or at least we haven't met their spouse. There might be a Mrs. Fryman or Mrs. Dewey. The only ones I can think of are the Maheshwarans and Vidalia and Yellowtail.
Not sure on Fryman, but Dewey is either a widower or divorced considering his affection towards Pearl. I didn't count the Maheshwarans since they don't live in Beach City, and I half think Vidalia/Yellowtail is an anomaly(the other half thinks it works if the theme is not being with the other parent of your first born).

Celt Z

Celt Z

We also don't know about Lars' family, so they could be a dark horse in all of this.
So, if the writers did this on purpose, I wonder if it's to imply that live at Beach City causes marital strife (which could be a reason Rose and Greg might not have formally married, aside from it maybe being a non-Gem concept), or a darker reason; that the Gems can't always save the day, thus a lot of widows/widowers.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Hmm, being in a committed relationship but not getting married because of the strife it causes...so...Rose and Greg are the SU versions of Knuckles and Julie-Su?

Joking aside I'm hoping it's just marital strife, but won't rule out widow/er making considering the monster attacks.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If we're extending troubles to beyond moms, I'm wondering if Marty will be appearing soon.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If we're extending troubles to beyond moms, I'm wondering if Marty will be appearing soon.
I could see that story... Marty shows up after catching a video of Steven at Beach-a-palooza, currently spending his time chasing down internet stars and cashing in on them before they burn out. He shows up, realizes that he's Greg's son and runs into Vidalia and Sourcream.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It's got a high chance of happening, plus there's an ep coming up called "Drop Beat Dad".

GasBandit

GasBandit

I watched the PC south park episode. Made me chuckle that PC Principal was Texas A&M. All in all it wasn't an AWFUL episode, but it wasn't great. I've seen worse, I've seen better.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I watched the PC south park episode. Made me chuckle that PC Principal was Texas A&M. All in all it wasn't an AWFUL episode, but it wasn't great. I've seen worse, I've seen better.
I know a lot of people on my side of the aisle were deriding the episode for it's portrayal of the SJW crowd. It really has gotten to the point where it's not even possible to laugh at your own without being accused of being against the movement. *shrug* Whatever. The Tumblr kids can pretend to be relevant while they still refuse to actually go out and vote.

Regardless, it was a pretty meager episode. It seems the best stuff they do these days is the stuff that isn't even political.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I mean WOW-how did they make Cartman getting the shit beat out of him not funny?

Talent.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Wabbit is pretty good, but while Yosemite Sam is good I REALLY hope Elmer Fudd makes a come back.

Star Vs. The Forces of Evil had its season finale, DAMN good, really looking forward to season 2.

Also the latest Total Drama season is a lot better than expected, maybe even the best TD sequel season in YEARS!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Man, the more I think about last weeks South Park, the less I like it. I really hope tonight's episode is a lot better.

GasBandit

GasBandit

s02e08 of Rick and Morty was definitely the weakest of the entire show's run thus far. I don't know why the felt the need to go back to that particular device, when as it was directly lampshaded in the pre-credits scene, they "nailed it the first time."[DOUBLEPOST=1443024988,1443024948][/DOUBLEPOST]
Man, the more I think about last weeks South Park, the less I like it. I really hope tonight's episode is a lot better.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I thought the alt-universe shows were funny, but the main plot was admittedly weak.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I can accept the alt-universe cable shows as a once a season thing, sort of like Star Wars was for Family Guy, if they really want to keep doing it.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I thought last nights South Park was a lot better than the first episode. Just felt like some good old-fashioned absurdity.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Steven Universe: Catch and Release

This was weird.

So Peridot is basically just a maintenance Gem and all her limbs were Gem Tech. Alright, cool. But the idea that she's going to live in Steven's Bathroom because they can't DO anything with her is FUCKING HILARIOUS.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Steven Universe

Huh well I wonder what'll be so special about Steven's bathroom-OH MY DOGCOPTER-
MINI PERIDOT! YOSH!And my theory that she couldn't summon her gem weapon is probably true!

And yes the bathroom bit is hilarious.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Saw someone did this to today's episode:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I did not see things going in this direction; that's for sure.

Now, the Cluster is likely the goal of the fusion experiments, but I'm wondering what function it serves for Yellow Diamond.

Frank

Frank

Ok, the first episode of South Park was kind of a weak opener but had some good laughs, but holy shit did I lose it at this week's episode. Fuck me, the Canadian alphabet made me spit my drink. I did a literal spit take.

The way people were up in arms about the first episode had me worried but it was really nothing. As always, Stan's dad is the best part of the show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I am now caught up on Rick and Morty.
I'm fine with doing the interdimensional cable episodes once a season; some of the improv is funny, but the way they animate around it is the best. Loved the Octopus Man bit because even as the voice is giggling stupid, the driver is so hard-faced and determined.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And now the joke that's SWEEPING THE TUMBLRS!

"Is Mayonaise a weapon?"

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Rick and Morty

Okay ep, not great but good violent fun. B-plot went no-where though.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I googled the code for Rick's red box. All I got was the AV Club review. I am disappoint.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Bob's Burgers

ROBO-STACHE! Good season premiere, and good pilot reference.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

New Steven Universe short!

And- THEORY TIME-
notice how Amethyst said they sucked up the life to make sure they'd grow up super fast and strong? Well notice how Peridot was surprised by Steven being hurt by her slaps, implying she's surprised someone was hurt by her strength. Maybe that's because she was made -WITHOUT- sucking up life-force to enhance her age/strength?

Celt Z

Celt Z

And- THEORY TIME-
notice how Amethyst said they sucked up the life to make sure they'd grow up super fast and strong? Well notice how Peridot was surprised by Steven being hurt by her slaps, implying she's surprised someone was hurt by her strength. Maybe that's because she was made -WITHOUT- sucking up life-force to enhance her age/strength?
That's certainly possible, but as we've seen from Ruby, Sapphire, Pearl and Rose, not all gems are created equal. I'm wondering if part of the problem is that Gem Homeworld, and and number of the places they've landed, have run out of the life force to produce stronger gems? I would make sense that's why they've finally bothered to check Earth after a few thousand years. They're pooling their resources. I wonder if "The Cluster" may refer to a group of places that are no longer useful to the Diamond Authority, and they're getting rid of them.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That's certainly possible, but as we've seen from Ruby, Sapphire, Pearl and Rose, not all gems are created equal. I'm wondering if part of the problem is that Gem Homeworld, and and number of the places they've landed, have run out of the life force to produce stronger gems? I would make sense that's why they've finally bothered to check Earth after a few thousand years. They're pooling their resources. I wonder if "The Cluster" may refer to a group of places that are no longer useful to the Diamond Authority, and they're getting rid of them.
True, true, plus there is the chance that she was made ex-PLIC-itly for engineering and was not intended for combat unless aided by limb enhancers. Either way the lack of life-force for Super-Gems is very much a possibility, they could only bide their time for so long. And maybe, but it sounded like Peridot was referring to a specific object, possibly the Geode from season one.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The biggest on-going theory is that gems made for roles other than "kill things"are explicitly made that way as a form of population control, sort of like why worker bees/ants are much smaller than soldier ones. You make them small because being smaller helps with their work and keeps them from trying to take over. This explains why Ruby and Sapphire are small too: they were built to do something other than fight. Sapphire has future sight, so she could be a strategist or a weather forecaster (which fits the ice powers) and Ruby might be designed for forge work or something. Hell, Pearl has explicitly said that she wasn't built to fight... it's likely she's supposed to be a dancer or a librarian or something and only picked up a sword because ROSE. Amethyst looks like a smaller, rounder version of Jasper... which makes sense because both were made on Earth and Jasper said she was overcooked. They even have the same spin dash move. Who knows about Lapis...

This extends to their cultural norms as well. Sapphire and Ruby being together is odd. Pearl is "just" a pearl, which could imply they got mass produced for a single job. Jasper treats EVERYONE like shit because she's big and strong.

So really, the idea that Peridot is small isn't that odd. She works on machines... she needs to get into tight spaces. She's COMFORTABLE in tight spaces (she ran into the smallest room in the house to hide!). The limb extenders are to aid in her work and because she was sent out onto the frontier. So it's likely she was built explicitly to do what she does.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Welp, turns out the Cluster was what most people thought thanks to earlier episodes.

Super mega fusion monster!

The effect Steven has on others is incredible.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The effect Steven has on others is incredible.
It really is just because he's the only sane person on the show.

Steven: "I dunno... maybe we should talk this out?"

Garnet: "CRYSTAL GEMS! TIME TO WOOP SOME ASS!"
Pearl and Amethyst: "OKAY!"

Steven: "*facepalms*"

Celt Z

Celt Z

To be fair, he didn't watch his loved ones be massacred by their own people. Or really understand that a race of super-tech aliens won't hesitate to kill him if they feel like it. But he was also was raised by Greg and *literally* has his mom in him, so I think that even when things get crazier later on, that will largely guide his moral compass.

It's funny; though they're both the heroes/protagonists of their shows, Steven is, in many ways, the antithesis of Finn on Adventure Time. I like them both, and there are a lot of parallels between the two, but their outlooks are so vastly different.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

To be fair, he didn't watch his loved ones be massacred by their own people. Or really understand that a race of super-tech aliens won't hesitate to kill him if they feel like it. But he was also was raised by Greg and *literally* has his mom in him, so I think that even when things get crazier later on, that will largely guide his moral compass.
I keep going back to Monster Buddies, where Steven is told that his mom tried to help them too but could... but that Steven might be able to do it someday. That is really the entire point of Steven's arch: as much as he's like his mother, it's the stuff that he got from growing up with Greg as a father and the Gems as guardians that have made him into a weapon of pure kindness that is able to gain the trust of anyone who crosses his path. Though I suspect that, by the end of this season, Steven's going to be faced with someone who isn't interested in being reasonable.

Probably when Malachite breaks loose and defuses into Jasper and Lapis... or when Yellow Diamond decides to come to Earth personally after it doesn't EXPLODE when the Cluster awakens.

It's funny; though they're both the heroes/protagonists of their shows, Steven is, in many ways, the antithesis of Finn on Adventure Time. I like them both, and there are a lot of parallels between the two, but their outlooks are so vastly different.
And at the same time, Finn's still willing to talk stuff out if it's apparent that there really isn't any reason to kill anybody. I mean... for fuck's sake, he hangs out with Marcelline (an actual evil vampire who does mean stuff) and Princess Bubblegum (an honest to god dictator) and is still able to find redeemable features in both, even when they lie to him or use him... and it's REALLY hard for young men of that age to move past rejection and still want to be friends with the people who rejected them, but Finn is mostly fine with PB and even Fire Princess at this point.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Steven: "I dunno... maybe we should talk this out?"

Garnet: "CRYSTAL GEMS! TIME TO WOOP SOME ASS!"
Pearl and Amethyst: "OKAY!"

Steven: "*facepalms*"
Its kinda funny how Garnet starts out as the stern and practical leader, but later eps show while less in quantity, when she has an emotional outburst it is BIG! She is an eternal FLAME baby! CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!!

But on the topic of the Gems not thinking outside the box, keep in mind they've had the same mission for thousands of years: Find corrupted Gems, poof them, bubble them, wait for next corrupted Gem. They have been in a RUT for thousands of years, and Steven's help is slowly getting them out of it.

Probably when Malachite breaks loose and defuses into Jasper and Lapis... or when Yellow Diamond decides to come to Earth personally after it doesn't EXPLODE when the Cluster awakens.
That's right- CLICKETH THIS SPOILER IF YOU DARE! Any whoozle fazoozle, the Yellow Diamond thing has a high chance of happening...unless she's ALL READY ON EARTH! On the topic though, I wonder why she's ignoring all of Peridot's messages?

And one thing I wonder about Malachite, I wonder if after they seperate...one of them might want to get back together? They're all ready a clear metaphor for the abusive relationship, if they went that route it would be REALLY interesting.
And at the same time, Finn's still willing to talk stuff out if it's apparent that there really isn't any reason to kill anybody. I mean... for fuck's sake, he hangs out with Marcelline (an actual evil vampire who does mean stuff) and Princess Bubblegum (an honest to god dictator) and is still able to find redeemable features in both, even when they lie to him or use him... and it's REALLY hard for young men of that age to move past rejection and still want to be friends with the people who rejected them, but Finn is mostly fine with PB and even Fire Princess at this point.
She's not evil she's a thousand years old, and just track or her moooooooooooral code.

chris

chris

That's right- CLICKETH THIS SPOILER IF YOU DARE! Any whoozle fazoozle, the Yellow Diamond thing has a high chance of happening...unless she's ALL READY ON EARTH! On the topic though, I wonder why she's ignoring all of Peridot's messages?

And one thing I wonder about Malachite, I wonder if after they seperate...one of them might want to get back together? They're all ready a clear metaphor for the abusive relationship, if they went that route it would be REALLY interesting.
My money is on Jasper

I guess the next couple of episodes will be "one of the character alone with Peridot episodes". According to the description of the next episode the Gems build a robot in a barn. Which probably mean Pearl tries to build a robot and Peridot angers her telling her how antique her knowledge is until they work together.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

My money is on Jasper

I guess the next couple of episodes will be "one of the character alone with Peridot episodes". According to the description of the next episode the Gems build a robot in a barn. Which probably mean Pearl tries to build a robot and Peridot angers her telling her how antique her knowledge is until they work together.
Agreed on both fronts, I also can't wait to see what kind of robot they make. Hopefully it'll be all junktacular.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Though I suspect that, by the end of this season, Steven's going to be faced with someone who isn't interested in being reasonable.
He already has, if you consider Jasper/the season 1 finale. While it made him more cautious about his non-Gem loved ones, it hasn't shaken his core (yet).

Finn does talk things through, but his first instinct in a situation is usually to attack. He isn't without reason or sympathy, but his tactic is usually "conquer, then resolve". Steven, on the other hand, only fights if he has no other option, and even then, his powers are usually used to keep harm away from himself or from others. For Finn, it's important to him to have a sword and over-power his opponents as quickly as possible. For Steven, he's happy to give away his sword, and try to keep others from physical harm, by shield, bubble or negotiation. They both do try to look for the good in others, but their paths that get them to that point are very different.

I will give Finn a lot of credit for learning how to handle his relationships like an adult, in the cases of PB ("just because you have feelings for someone doesn't require them to feel the same way back, nor should they be punished for it") or Flame Princess ("don't play games with someone's feelings"). He makes mistakes, but he does try to atone for them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He already has, if you consider Jasper/the season 1 finale. While it made him more cautious about his non-Gem loved ones, it hasn't shaken his core (yet).
Steven works best when he's the one who gets to set the terms of how he interacts.

- Lapis only opened up to him when he talked to her... and when he asked to see her a second time, she obliged him because he was the only one who cared what she wanted. Ultimately, she decided to entrap Jasper entirely because there was a chance he could get hurt if she didn't. None of this worked when the Gems tried to get involved AT ALL.
- Peridot opened up to Steven because he had (repeatedly) shown that he wasn't there to hurt her, even going so far as to let her go to hear what she had to say... but he could only do it when the Gems weren't around. She took advantage of him, but even so I think she realizes he would have helped her regardless. Now she's willing to set aside her animosity for Steven's sake, even defending him when the Gems are angry.

Compare this to his interactions with Jasper: the first time they meet, she's going to destroy them because they were messing with Peridot (and Peridot was OKAY WITH THIS). The second time, she barely gets a glimpse of him because he was busy trying to help the others. In other words, Jasper and Steven haven't really had a conversation... as far as she's concerned, he's Rose Quartz, and she doesn't understand how wrong that actually is. Steven understands that there are some things he can't get through to (like the Fusion Experiments) but he's never really had it blow up in his face yet... this needs to happen before the final act begins.

My prediction? Steven's trust is going to get one of the Gems shattered (probably Peridot at this point, assuming she doesn't betray them all again) and THAT is going to make him retreat into himself for awhile.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Back to the Barn preview. Pearl and Peridot's personalities and intelligence clashing? HELL YES!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Malachite

I don't think they're going to defuse to be the problem. Something really wrong is going on with them in this state and I think Malachite herself is going to more of an issue. Defusing will likely be scaling down the problem. I'm worried this is going to cause even more damage to Lapis's psyche, but who knows what it's going to do to Jasper. She certainly blames Steven for her current predicament.

Oh yeah, thread's in full Steven Universe now, kids!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

MALACHITE VERSUS CLUSTER- Sunday night on Beach Underground City Wrestling!

I still wonder IF Lapis will join the CGs, Peridot I can buy, but with Lapis' arguably justified by her perspective yet still wrong actions I don't know.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

MALACHITE VERSUS CLUSTER- Sunday night on Beach Underground City Wrestling!

I still wonder IF Lapis will join the CGs, Peridot I can buy, but with Lapis' arguably justified by her perspective yet still wrong actions I don't know.
I foresee Lapis helping them for Steven's sake and maybe staying on Earth because where else can she go, but a Crystal Gem? No way. Not unless they can admit what they did was wrong and make up for it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I foresee Lapis helping them for Steven's sake and maybe staying on Earth because where else can she go, but a Crystal Gem? No way. Not unless they can admit what they did was wrong and make up for it.
I feel like Garnet is the only one right now with that capacity.

I hate to say this, because I like Lapis, but we have no idea what went on during the war with her. She seems pretty powerful; for all we know she's responsible for turning a number of the Crystal Gems' friends and allies into gem shards or the screwed-up gems that become monsters. There may be more animosity there than we know.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I feel like Garnet is the only one right now with that capacity.

I hate to say this, because I like Lapis, but we have no idea what went on during the war with her. She seems pretty powerful; for all we know she's responsible for turning a number of the Crystal Gems' friends and allies into gem shards or the screwed-up gems that become monsters. There may be more animosity there than we know.
At the same time, they kept her in a mirror for hundreds, if not thousands, of years... treating her like an object AND a prisoner. There's a serious ethics question there... it may have been kinder to shatter her gem than to do THAT.

Regardless, it's going to come up again sooner rather than later.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It also says something that they didn't use Rose's fountain to heal her cracked Gem, I can not WAIT to hear both sides of this.

I gotta get that databook one of these days, I hear its pretty good!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Question: am I the only one who doesn't watch either Steven Universe or Adventure Time, but still reads this thread and can actually follow along by now? :p

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Question: am I the only one who doesn't watch either Steven Universe or Adventure Time, but still reads this thread and can actually follow along by now? :p
I can see why you could in the case of Steven Universe, as it's heavily serialized with each episode happening after the last (except for the flashback episodes featuring Greg and Rose). Adventure Time though? It's a bit... looser. Each episode happens after the last, but few episodes have relevant details with each other as they are aired. You could go 5-6 episodes without relevant details.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

But if your into it you don't want to miss an ep either, it can be like four eps with silly plots and then BAM- sub-plot continuation. Last ep I missed-
Lady Rainicorn revealed she was pregnant.
How I missed those spoilers I'll never know.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

At the same time, they kept her in a mirror for hundreds, if not thousands, of years... treating her like an object AND a prisoner. There's a serious ethics question there... it may have been kinder to shatter her gem than to do THAT.

Regardless, it's going to come up again sooner rather than later.
Or just bubble her. Peridot established that those who are bubbled don't experience time, just suspended animation. She popped back in mid-sentence.

No, I totally agree with you, it's fucked up. I'm just saying they may distrust her for a reason, even though leaving her in the mirror for five thousand years was horrifying.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I only occasionally check this thread, see seven pages of steven universe discussion, and then leave again. I don't even post the stuff I watch, because it gets lost in all the steven universe.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You guys should be watching Steven Universe.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

You guys should be watching Steven Universe.
I haven't watched it, yet I'm burned out on it. My tumblr dash is full of walls of text calling it the MOST IMPORTANT THING EVAH!!!!!!!111!ELEVEN!!! (and it's not just from your reblogs).

I get it, tumblrinas. It's a good show, and adults seem to like it as well. But it's not going to save the world, or even your own little corner of it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I haven't watched it, yet I'm burned out on it. My tumblr dash is full of walls of text calling it the MOST IMPORTANT THING EVAH!!!!!!!111!ELEVEN!!! (and it's not just from your reblogs).

I get it, tumblrinas. It's a good show, and adults seem to like it as well. But it's not going to save the world, or even your own little corner of it.
Of course not. People should watch it because it's a great show. But since you brought it up, I'll rant this here:

I hate when the Tumblr-tots say something is good, then when they go to list why, it's entirely representation related. That's a good attribute to have because we should have more diversity in our stories, but that alone does not make those stories good. A shitty story with lame characters is a shitty story with lame characters, regardless of their gender, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. Same goes for a good story; it is what it is. Certainly those attributes can make it better, but it's not a make-or-break.

I feel like the closing speech at the end of A Time to Kill needs to be applied to Tumblr's view of shows and movies. I hate the bullet point list of the movie Home that says why the movie is great, then just lists irrelevant throwaway lines and interchangeable attributes with no mention of personality or story.

Steven Universe is a great story (so far) with great characters, and that Tumblr-tots sometimes ignore this when recommending the show to people is fucking ridiculous. Garnet was fantastic in the first 40+ episodes. She didn't suddenly go from shit to goddess the moment you learn what she is. That scene is fantastic, but if it hadn't happened, Garnet would still be a wonderful character.

EDIT: Oh, and the songs. Steven Universe is great also for the songs :p. When my wife is in a shitty mood, this always lifts her spirit:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Now I know how all my normie friends and coworkers felt when myself and one other guy in the office got into Everquest.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This thread really does only talk about a few shows...

- Steven Universe
- Adventure Time
- Rick and Morty
- Bob's Burgers

This isn't all I watch... I also dig Regular Show and TMNT, but there really isn't as much to say about them right now. However, I fully expect this to change come February when The Venture Brothers returns, where we all start discussing one of the best shows, period.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Oh yeah, Regular Show used to be half the thread, too :p

(I don't mind it, by the way - I very rarely have anything to contribute here because I barely watch any US animation.)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Rick and Morty

Bird person, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Also-HOLY SCHMOZ THAT ENDING!
I also REALLY hope Mr.Poopybutthole was joking about the production time length.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Nope... it takes about a year and half to get new seasons of Adult Swim stuff, unless it's in 15 minute doses... in which case it's a few months. To use the Venture brothers as an example...

Season 1 -> Season 2: 2 years
Season 2 -> Season 3: 2 years
Season 3 -> Season 4: 1 year
Season 4 -> Season 5: 3 years
Season 5 -> Season 6: 2.5 years

We get specials in between, but that's about average for Adult Swim.

evilmike

evilmike

Rick and Morty

Bird person, NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Yeah, that was squanched up.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If it really takes until 2017 to get more Rick and Morty, I'm gonna squanch.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Nope... it takes about a year and half to get new seasons of Adult Swim stuff, unless it's in 15 minute doses... in which case it's a few months. To use the Venture brothers as an example...

Season 1 -> Season 2: 2 years
Season 2 -> Season 3: 2 years
Season 3 -> Season 4: 1 year
Season 4 -> Season 5: 3 years
Season 5 -> Season 6: 2.5 years

We get specials in between, but that's about average for Adult Swim.
Yes, but last season was 11 episodes and this season has only been 10, so is this really the end of the season?

Also, I don't think that it will be as long for Rick and Morty. Venture Brothers is in a completely different boat than any other Adult Swim animation in that the show is solely produced by two guys who are perfectionists.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Watched Stay Cool, Scooby Doo.

I was completely prepared to hate this series (considering they cancelled Mystery Inc. for this) but this is actually pretty damn funny in it's own right. The character art looks like shit but I love pretty much everything else about this show. I'll probably stick around for a few more episodes at least.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Watched Stay Cool, Scooby Doo.

I was completely prepared to hate this series (considering they cancelled Mystery Inc. for this) but this is actually pretty damn funny in it's own right. The character art looks like shit but I love pretty much everything else about this show. I'll probably stick around for a few more episodes at least.
I KNOW right? I was expecting the fact that they looked like a Rick and Morty parody to bug me but holy shit did this feel right as a Scooby Doo show. Also that bit about how Shaggy/Scooby calling bull-shit on Fred for having the two most cowardly team-members do the scary stuff was gold.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yes, but last season was 11 episodes and this season has only been 10, so is this really the end of the season?

Also, I don't think that it will be as long for Rick and Morty. Venture Brothers is in a completely different boat than any other Adult Swim animation in that the show is solely produced by two guys who are perfectionists.
In that case, it's just Dan Harmon poking the network ... the kind of thing that got him in trouble with Community. Hopefully Cartoon Network has a better sense of humor.

Frank

Frank

I think they were just making fun of Venture Brothers honestly.

The parents of the bride being played by Tricia Helfer and James Callis looking exactly like Six and Baltar killed me, this fuckin' show does the best random celebrity voices.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I think they were just making fun of Venture Brothers honestly.

The parents of the bride being played by Tricia Helfer and James Callis looking exactly like Six and Baltar killed me, this fuckin' show does the best random celebrity voices.
I wish the venture bros was only one and a half years between seasons.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Celt Z

Celt Z

Since this is where we usually talk about Steven Universe, I posted some Steven Universe cosplay over in the Forum Cosplay thread. I know it can't be canon, but it was a lot for fun for Li'l Z and I.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Steven Universe

Well... that went in an unexpected (but appreciated) direction.

So Pearl's insecurity issues are literally because Pearls are mass produced humanoid ACCESSORIES on Homeworld that are designed to look pretty and basically hold bags. In that view... yeah, Peridot had every right to be upset when Pearl took charge: Peridot was designed to be an engineer and Pearl wanted her to take a backseat. I get that the message here is supposed to be "don't let your preconceptions cloud your eyes" but this entire thing really makes both Pearl and Peridot seem petty. Also, Steven really should have brought up the time that Pearl built a functioning rocket ship out of junk from that barn. It probably would have shut Peridot up, coming from him.

At the same time, this basically explains everything about Pearl, from her insecurities to why she fell so hard for Rose (Rose was probably the only one who didn't treat her like an object her entire existence before she got to Earth). I'm actually a bit disappointed... this feels like it cheapens her a bit.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Today's episode: confirming fan theories on homeworld society!

I think Pearl's insecure for a lot of reasons, this just being one.

I don't really see how both were being petty for that matter. Peridot had already seen Pearl fight, so she knew Pearl did more than that. Even if she thought it was under Steven's direction, that's not what Pearls are made for. Pearl had no reason to feel she had to put up with this 5500 years after Rose led against this kind of crap. They both had their viewpoints and both felt they were the right one for the job.

I really want to know what Rubies and Sapphires are for.

According to the recent SU book that came out, typical fusion was between same-type gems, so Garnet's fusion is an oddball for that reason. Typically you'd have, for example, Jasper + Japser.

Celt Z

Celt Z

This episode of Steven had me laughing pretty hard. The visual gags they had tonight were non-stop. "Catch and Release" was pretty great, but this was nice break and a chance to just giggle (though the homeworld information they threw in was pretty important). They've been pretty rough on Pearl for a while, so I thought this was a great episode for her.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This episode of Steven had me laughing pretty hard. The visual gags they had tonight were non-stop. "Catch and Release" was pretty great, but this was nice break and a chance to just giggle (though the homeworld information they threw in was pretty important). They've been pretty rough on Pearl for a while, so I thought this was a great episode for her.
When the episode ended, my wife said, "oh good, that one didn't hurt." I think we needed a breather, because next week's episode is called "Too Far" and that doesn't sound like a happy title. Then two more episodes, then another hiatus.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

PARAPHRASING: "A Peridot with a Pearl? What would they say on Homeworld?"

Anyone catch that? I think Peridot was subtley admitting her not-all-that-itude.

Fun episode, crazy robots, and someone's fan-art predicted that "Your just a Pearl" line one hundred percent. I would check but if I wanted

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

PARAPHRASING: "A Peridot with a Pearl? What would they say on Homeworld?"

Anyone catch that? I think Peridot was subtley admitting her not-all-that-itude.

Fun episode, crazy robots, and someone's fan-art predicted that "Your just a Pearl" line one hundred percent. I would check but if I wanted
That was basically a given, considering how low of a regard Jasper had for her. Jasper had the authority to not only disregard her mission but force her to abandon it. She's a glorified technician.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That was basically a given, considering how low of a regard Jasper had for her. Jasper had the authority to not only disregard her mission but force her to abandon it. She's a glorified technician.
I'll say, all we need is the ep confirming her not being able to summon her weapon and the Tenkaichi budokai shall be complete.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Didn't think about that. So if the theory that Amethyst is "overcooked" because she would've been a Jasper had she come out at the right time, Peridot would've acceded authority to her. With everyone on Earth being a bit of a misfit, she's kind of lost.

It's no wonder Rose rebelled. Though we were nowhere near as advanced 5500 years ago as we are now, she saw that each person was an individual. Fan theory suggested this desire for individuality extended to gems, but that hasn't really been shown as necessary until now. I wonder if we'll get flashback episodes about any of the friends they lost who fought on Rose's side during the war. I feel like we're not going to see Steven heal any of those monsters back to healthy gems, at least not for a long while.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's no wonder Rose rebelled. Though we were nowhere near as advanced 5500 years ago as we are now, she saw that each person was an individual. Fan theory suggested this desire for individuality extended to gems, but that hasn't really been shown as necessary until now. I wonder if we'll get flashback episodes about any of the friends they lost who fought on Rose's side during the war. I feel like we're not going to see Steven heal any of those monsters back to healthy gems, at least not for a long while.
If it happens (and it probably will), it's likely that it'll happen sometime after Yellow Diamond makes her move or right before she can launch a proper invasion. Fixing the monster gems is basically the "we have an army now" moment and you really can't do anything past that EXCEPT have a big ol' fight, unless all those Gems leave afterwards. That's final season stuff.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

When the episode ended, my wife said, "oh good, that one didn't hurt." I think we needed a breather, because next week's episode is called "Too Far" and that doesn't sound like a happy title. Then two more episodes, then another hiatus.
I was actually told that Too Far was the last episode before the hiatus. Can you confirm? At any rate, we've had something like 27 episodes over 33 weeks. It's certainly break time.

Once the hiatus starts, Adventure Time takes the spot for awhile. Starting in November, we're getting an 8-part Marceline story dealing her life up to this point. Then I'm thinking ether Steven Universe is back or something else is taking a hiatus.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I was actually told that Too Far was the last episode before the hiatus. Can you confirm? At any rate, we've had something like 27 episodes over 33 weeks. It's certainly break time.

Once the hiatus starts, Adventure Time takes the spot for awhile. Starting in November, we're getting an 8-part Marceline story dealing her life up to this point. Then I'm thinking ether Steven Universe is back or something else is taking a hiatus.
You're correct; Too Far is the last episode of Steven Universe this year. I saw an image showing empty spots for the following two weeks of October and thought those were still episodes.

I'm still back in season 5 of Adventure Time.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm still back in season 5 of Adventure Time.
Well take your time. I suspect Adventure Time is going to be a bit slower, as Pendleton Ward is still doing pre-production stuff on an Adventure Time movie pitch.

We already know they've started and approved a Regular Show movie.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Can not WAIT for Stakes, saw the first part yesterday and want MORE!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Turkish promo for Steven Universe. Contains a surprisingly epic rock remix of the Steven Universe theme.

Celt Z

Celt Z

And yet, still not as odd as Mr. Z finding the Mandarin translations, specifically the Steven songs.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

GRAVITY FALLS!
EVERYBODY NOW-

Also- THE ENDTIMES ARE COMING!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Gravity Falls
:eek:

Ohmanohmanohman...
Do we know when the next episode is?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

No, no we do not...and it is TORTURE!

Celt Z

Celt Z

No, no we do not...and it is TORTURE!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Just a heads up: Steven Universe moves to 7:30 EST on the 15th, which will also be the last new episode in October. This is the new time slot for the show.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Just a heads up: Steven Universe moves to 7:30 EST on the 15th, which will also be the last new episode in October. This is the new time slot for the show.
Read that on the wikia, and am not surprised considering their random slot changes. Also with their sad attempt to trick people into watching Teen Titans Go.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Gravity Falls
:eek:

Ohmanohmanohman...
Do we know when the next episode is?
Hold your pants on. It'll drop sooner or later.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And its only two weeks from now, THANK BILL!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Steven Universe

Aaaaaaaaaand a new ship is formed.

figmentPez

figmentPez

GRAVITY FALLS!
Endless Summer involves far less surfing than I was previously led to believe.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

blotsfan

blotsfan

I didn't like the new South Park. Its message was way too subtle for me to understand.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I didn't like the new South Park. Its message was way too subtle for me to understand.
They can be hit or miss at times, mostly hit but when they miss...dear lord they miss.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Basically after 5 episodes, I like the three that don't prominently feature PC Principal. That isn't a coincidence.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

PC Principal is the worst character South Park ever had. He BETTER die, I can't fucking stand him.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I actually liked this episode, but yes... PC Principle just isn't a very interesting character and I kind of hope he goes away before too long.

blotsfan

blotsfan

You know, most of the Episode was pretty funny. The speech by "Reality" was so blatantly preachy that it kinda ruined everything else.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Also I've said it before but it bares repeating, they are not good at back to back episodic story arcs. They can do a proper multi-parter like nobody's business, but over-arcing plots aren't really in their wheelhouse.

In better news, Star Wars Rebels is still awesome.

Friggin' loved how the Clone Troopers pointed out the structural flaw of the At-At's legs, hilarious.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Over the Garden Wall is going to be airing every day next week, starting at 8:30PM EST on Monday and finishing up at 8:30PM EST on Friday. Check it out if you haven't already.

Checked out some more Stay Cool, Scooby-Doo. I still like this serious less than Mystery Inc. but it's got enough charm that I think I'm sticking around.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

This series gets a damn A from me, especially since the latest Robot episode made a direct reference to Charlie from the original series, a.k.a. the most ridiculous episode ever. "I don't think my brother should use robot labor at his own damn amusement park, so I'll sabotage it making it go crazy! That's what adults do right?"

Celt Z

Celt Z

Checked out some more Stay Cool, Scooby-Doo. I still like this serious less than Mystery Inc. but it's got enough charm that I think I'm sticking around.
I just can't get into this. I think it's because it looks like it's animated by the team who did Brickleberry, and bleah, that show.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I just can't get into this. I think it's because it looks like it's animated by the team who did Brickleberry, and bleah, that show.
It's written SO well though and it has the modern voice incarnations from Mystery Inc. It's actually really good, once you get past the shitty art.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I wander when Frank will stop doing Fred. I wander if I'll still be alive by then!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wander when Frank will stop doing Fred. I wander if I'll still be alive by then!

...thanks so much for sticking that back in my head.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Steven Universe unboxing video, hopefully the first of many shorts.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PC Principal is the worst character South Park ever had. He BETTER die, I can't fucking stand him.
That's kind of the point of him.
You know, most of the Episode was pretty funny. The speech by "Reality" was so blatantly preachy that it kinda ruined everything else.
The part where he said "Oh congratulations you raised $300 for charity by spending half a million dollars on filet mignon and crystal glasses" made me laugh heartily.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The part where he said "Oh congratulations you raised $300 for charity by spending half a million dollars on filet mignon and crystal glasses" made me laugh heartily.
That part got me pretty well too.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll just leave this here...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'll just leave this here...
Well...at least they're acknowledging it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I remember thinking that there was too much anime troping going on in the old series, and the main reason I deliberately switch channels whenever I happen to catch the new one is because it's like someone heard me say that, but accidentally thought that because it was the only part I talked about, that it must be the only part of the show that I liked.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Out of curiosity I saw the whole ep in question and it was...noticably better than the stock of eps ALMOST okay even. Even so, I was kinda hoping they'd turn into an Adventure Time or Regular Show rip-off not...some weird British show. By Trigon's horns this show has set the bar SO low I'm giving praise to something that did the bare minimum!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Teen Titans GO is real hit and miss as a series. It's at it's best when it's making fun of the old show, but at it's worst when resorting to gross out stuff. Also, this joke was done better 20 some years ago when it was called "The Justice Friends" and was a short during Dexter's Lab.

Dei

Dei

I tried to convert my daughter to the old show with the DVDs. It didn't work.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yeah, true, but Justice Friends was ragging on Marvel. And beautifully so.

I miss the Infragible Kronk.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, true, but Justice Friends was ragging on Marvel. And beautifully so.

I miss the Infragible Kronk.
I thought the corn chip episode was some of the best animated comedy I had seen in a long time.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Teen Titans GO is real hit and miss as a series. It's at it's best when it's making fun of the old show, but at it's worst when resorting to gross out stuff. Also, this joke was done better 20 some years ago when it was called "The Justice Friends" and was a short during Dexter's Lab.
Or Bravest Warriors, probably the only series to do the premise WHILE having them do legit dramatic super hero stuff.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

TURTLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Info on the new PIXAR Short to be played before The Good Dinosaur, Sanjay's Super Team!

The seven-minute short begins with young Sanjay watching cartoons and eating cereal in a bland, beige room as his father jingles a bell, beckoning him to join in meditation. Reluctant and bored by the ceremony, Sanjay begins daydreaming a kind of ancient, Hindu version of “The Avengers,” with the gods appearing like superheroes. As the daydream progresses, the color, light and animation of the film grows increasingly dazzling and cosmic, and Sanjay grows closer to understanding his father’s inner world.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Gravity Falls

Ladies and gentlemen- BEGIN SCREAMING!

Celt Z

Celt Z

I never stopped being amazed Disney makes Gravity Falls. That was exciting, and I loved the Insanity Bubble jokes.

Also,
damn, Gideon. And where the hell is Stan?!?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Don Bluth (of An American Tail, Anastasia, Secret of NIMH, and many others) wants to do a Dragon's Lair movie. You might remember Dragon's Lair as being a Quick-time-event game from the late 80's/early 90's featuring Dirk the Daring as he tried to rescue his princess. Had some sequels.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I remember playing the 3D0 version...never again...that version at least. Dear LORD the controls sucked.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I remember the Laserdisc fad.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And I remember people remembering it! HA-I'm the young one.

Any crazzle bedazzles, anyone watching "The Awesomes"? REALLY good this season, and went in some directions I did NOT see coming.

Frank

Frank

Don Bluth (of An American Tail, Anastasia, Secret of NIMH, and many others) wants to do a Dragon's Lair movie. You might remember Dragon's Lair as being a Quick-time-event game from the late 80's/early 90's featuring Dirk the Daring as he tried to rescue his princess. Had some sequels.
This isn't going anywhere.

On topic, the last two episodes of South Park were pretty terrible.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

For the South Park bashing, not the...sad reality of Dragon's Lair. Seriously, what the hell is up with this season?!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Again, I thought last night's South Park was pretty good, if only because they went the extra mile and had the fans send in the Tweak/Craig yaoi fanart. It took what was a kind of odd joke and turned it into something completely off the rails weird.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but so far I like this season.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know Dragon's Lair was already a Saturday morning TV series.
Not sure how it'd work as a movie.
Even if it was one you could "play" with your DVD remote...because DVDs.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I know Dragon's Lair was already a Saturday morning TV series.
Not sure how it'd work as a movie.
Even if it was one you could "play" with you DVD remote...because DVDs.

--Patrick
Yeah, both it and Space Ace had VERY short lived series. I dunno... if I had a few grand to spend, I'd be up for this.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

blotsfan

blotsfan

Again, I thought last night's South Park was pretty good, if only because they went the extra mile and had the fans send in the Tweak/Craig yaoi fanart. It took what was a kind of odd joke and turned it into something completely off the rails weird.
Yeah, I liked last nights episode too. Its been a good season when they don't stop the episode to preach their views to the audience.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

New Terror Tales of the Park tonight, damn good Halloween special.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Celt Z

Celt Z

Short, but adorable.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

ADVENTURE TIME!

Good start to the season, especially-
Finn and Jake's growing uncomfortableness with working for the one true Princess of Ooo. He is a scoundrel. And while a bit rushed, it was sweet seeing Bonnie and Neddy together as brother and sister.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And that was season 3 of The Awesome, DAMN I love this show, great characters, good(not great but good) humor, just a damn good series...so how the hell are the people behind "Late Night with Seth Meyers" behind it? Just saying, there's a big gap in quality.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Adventure Time: Cherry Cream Soda

Well...that was darker than I expected, and I expected it to be PRETTY dark considering I knew it would be about CCSG's grief.
So RBG and CCSG were married...shortly after their creation. How...how did PB not see that taking a dark side? And god damn, what the fuck Starchy? He nuts.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Phineas and Ferb: The OWCA Files

Ain't the best P&F special, but it was still damn good, and Paul Reubens was the bad-guy so that was fun.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Adventure Time: Stakes

Great start to it, get to see more of Marcy's past, Rebecca Sugar, and that great mix of simplistic and elaborate character designs that make this series great.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Also if you haven't seen any of Wander Over Yonder season two, watch like a handful of season one episodes, watch ALL of season two, and be AMAZED! The black cube of Darkness episode...it was just damn great.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I gotta say, as much as I didn't like some of the earlier episodes, I've really been enjoying this season of south park.

BananaHands

BananaHands

South park was amazing.

A M A Z I N G.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I don't know if anyone else follows Alex Hirsch on Twitter, but he just announced that these last two episodes would be the series finale for GravityFalls !
It's nice to know it was his call and not cancelled, but it still makes me really sad. :(

EDIT: You can read the entire announcement here.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I don't know if anyone else follows Alex Hirsch on Twitter, but he just announced that these last two episodes would be the series finale for GravityFalls !
It's nice to know it was his call and not cancelled, but it still makes me really sad. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO/I'm okay with this. I feel BOTH those emotions at the same time, now the DVD set won't be three boxes that look like Journals! GRAH!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not surprised it's the end. Really, there isn't much else they can do over a single summer... the only option would be to have them come back NEXT summer and do a different mystery or to do something with some of the other people in town (which would be fine, but it should be under a different title, sort of like Korra was). But if we're getting a finale, I can live with that.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

As sad as it is that Gravity Falls is coming to an end, it at least seems like it's ending on Alex's terms and that we can safely say that it's been a quality ride from start to finish.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I understand why it ends, the only option story wise is if they were to have the twins in *shutter* middle school, where season 1-3 Buffy hijinx would happen, and wouldn't feel NEARLY as cool as the first two.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

As per my usual drunk self I saw the latest eps of South Park...I am confused whether I like this season or not. I mean yeah, the plot twist was kinda neat, but even so to me it doesn't really make up for the ABSOLUTELY unenjoyable parts of this season.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Adventure Time- Stakes
Really enjoyed this mini-series, especially
because there's no more KOO! About time! (well, except for the crawling lump, but whatevs.

And favorite line "MONARCHY IS NOT A DEMOCRACY!!!!" You go, PB!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Adventure Time- Stakes
Really enjoyed this mini-series, especially
because there's no more KOO! About time! (well, except for the crawling lump, but whatevs.

And favorite line "MONARCHY IS NOT A DEMOCRACY!!!!" You go, PB!
YOSH- finally I can talk about it with someone here!

My favorite part about this mini-series, was the subject of ROLES! How even though characters may quit the roles they were given, the roles themselves will stay, as if in a never ending play that's been going on since dinosaur times.

Celt Z

Celt Z

YOSH- finally I can talk about it with someone here!

My favorite part about this mini-series, was the subject of ROLES! How even though characters may quit the roles they were given, the roles themselves will stay, as if in a never ending play that's been going on since dinosaur times.
Agreed. Not just for Marceline,but PB, Ice King, even the Vampire King..

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It also brings a silver lining if you think about it, how someday Marceline may actually be able to quit being the vampire queen and pass and another shall rise, all sorts of ways can happen in this show.

FINAL NOTE-
so the vampire king was a lion before vampirizing? How does that work?

Celt Z

Celt Z

FINAL NOTE-
so the vampire king was a lion before vampirizing? How does that work?
It's the Land of Ooo? I usually chalk it up to that until the writers feel like they need to explain it further.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

True, true, also while unlikely I'd like to see where the essence came from,
when Marceline lost her essence it released VK and the members of his court, when VK lost HIS it became a barely sentient formless cloud beast. Chances are what made the Vampire king was something like that, something I bet was released after the Great Mushroom war.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Gravity Falls

Little cliche, but a damn sweet episode. Also I think Jon Stewart was the judge, so that's fun.

Celt Z

Celt Z

This is why I'm going to miss Gravity Falls so much. A great balance of freaky, touching and hilarious. Why, Alex Hirsch, why?!?? :cry:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

*Sigh* Yeah that's a shame. It almost makes me WISH that Disney would meddle for a 3rd season. Almost, cos we all know what happened the LAST time they made a third season of a show without the creator.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Don't know about y'all, but in prep for the new Hey Arnold Movie I'm rewatching ALL of the original series and it still holds up. I am also going on the wiki and learning some WEIRD things about this show. Like how that one lady housemate in the Sunset Arms who had only one line was originally supposed to have an episode where she had a crush... on Arnold. They were really gonna try and tackle pedophilia...yeah I can see why Nick meddled there. I am pretty sure they could pull it off, they pulled off alcoholism, neglectful parents, and the fall of Saigon but...yeah that might've been a bit too much.

evilmike

evilmike

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd be more excited if the guy who voiced Ako (who also voiced Iroh in Avatar: The Last Airbender) hadn't died a few years back. Still, it'll be nice to see it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

AWESO-wait *quick search* Okay Gendy is directing it- AWESOME! And when he was making the movie he said they'd address Mako's passing in some way.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Adventure Time-The More you Moe

AMO THEORY CONFIRMED! ALSO FEELS!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

ALSO-anyone see "We are the Royals" this week? I hope it gets more, because this felt less like a mini-series and more like the pilotiest of pilot seasons.

Frank

Frank

Ok, I just learned about the existence of Moonbeam City. Wow, is Rob Lowe's character an Archer knockoff. The rest of the show has potential in the funny department, but fuck it's hard when he's basically 80's cop show Archer without the semi-competence and right down to the elaborate backstories when he goes undercover.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah, that's pretty much why I couldn't get into the show.

On the topic, I'm a little sick of shows with completely morally bankrupt characters who never face true negative karma for their actions. Archer? ALL the time karma.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

On my gradual "Hey Arnold" Marathon and during the Valentines ep I heard one of the best lines- EVER!

"Mrs. Slovak, what if we don't really care about anyone? What if we have never experienced love?"

"Then you'd be me."

Dei

Dei

I was thinking about Danny Phantom last night, which made me look for it on Amazon, and I can get the DVDs for $18. DONE! Will be marathoning this during Christmas break with my kids for sure.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Ah Danny Phantom, THAT was a weird ride. From the Jason Silver character designs, to Rob Paulsen yelling- I AM THE BOX GHOST!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Star Wars Rebels

Well...shit that was sad. Was a little thrown off by Clancy as Prisoner X NOT beinga bad guy, but that might just be me type-casting, a damn...DAMN strong episode.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And that was this season of South Park, all in all its better to watch as a whole story than in an episodic format, where they barely scraped by with. A lot of people laughed their asses off at the Trump episode, but I honestly thought it had like just one or two good lines, the Yaoi episode is only funny if you haven't heard a billion yaoi jokes on the internet like I have, but the Yelp episode was absolutely astounding. Also, are they REALLY keeping PC Principal? REALLY?! He's not funny, NOR likable, he's a one episode character that they kept and didn't make interesting. Yeah the arch SURROUNDING him was neat, but he himself is just boring. All in all I rate this season as a whole a C-, not great but nor horrible.

I wish I had a glass of wine while typing that, would make me feel like Gerald Broflowski.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

On my Hey Arnold trek, still holds up...but there are some problems. For one, the show had a major habit of repeating itself story wise, sometimes in a self-referential humorous fashion, but other times in a "Hey, didn't they all ready do this?" sort of way. "Olga Get's Engaged" is basically the same plot as "Olga comes Home", in that its where Olga gets on Helga's nerves, she tries to get back at her in SOME way, but backs out in the last minute due to a change of heart. Plus it ends up being a character retread, having Helga go through an almost Aesop's amnesia from what she learned in "Olga come's Home". BUT-that's only one way of looking at it, another way is how there was no magical episode that healed Helga's problems with her family completely, that it makes sense for her to relapse into her jealous attitude as being in such a neglectful environment might ultimately force her to do so. Final negative it uses stock-footage to an ANNOYING degree sometimes, the "Mr. Huyn goes Country" had just WAY too much stock footage, especially at the end where it was a whole minute song with only THREE shots over and over. It was torturous.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Steven Universe is back in January bitches!

Garnet's origin, Steven's birthday, Peridot making a log-date, MY ENJOYMENT!

Answer Sneak peak:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Saw the first ep of Nickelodeon's Doug today...this show was weird. Not so much surreal weird but more the "Did they really think people talked like this?" I feel people forgive it on account of the voice acting being VERY iconic and full of soul, Billy West in particular putting a LOT of talent into Doug's voice...and yet Disney replaced him. WAY TO GO GUYS-almost as bad as making Connie skinny-WHAT PURPOSE DID THAT SERVE TO HER CHARACTER? Another weird thing-LOOK AT DOUG'S FAMILY CAR!

It looks like a fucking flying saucer! Is this show based in the near distant future? Where animals also evolved to be able to walk on two legs , and humans could be born with literally ANY color of the rainbow for a skin color?

Also in the first episode there's just...a cow eating hay for some reason. Its never explained, we don't know who owns the cow, it was confusing. And if my memory serves correct, this was NOT a very rural community, it was a straight up TOWN.

So yeah it was...interesting to say the least, not as good as say Hey Arnold or Rugrats but there's a definite charm to it that I think is probably why it retained so many fans.

Frank

Frank

You are missing the point of Doug so hard that you pricked your finger with the butt of the sewing needle.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah... to get true enjoyment of Doug, you need one of two things.

- To have been a youngish teenager/older kid during the 90's

- Really good drugs. Lots of them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My little brother tried to use the Quail-stare on me SO many times.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah... to get true enjoyment of Doug, you need one of two things.

- To have been a youngish teenager/older kid during the 90's

- Really good drugs. Lots of them.
Yeah I was 1-10 in the nineties.

And does weed count?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, why was everything just... so much better in the 90s? Everything.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Pre-9/11, obviously.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

Nostalgia

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Nostalgia
Yeah, it really wasn't that great. It just wasn't the way things are now, so it seems better than it was.

So many teenagers on Tumblr are romanticizing the 90s the way my friends in college romanticized the 80s.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maybe it's just that everything was awesome for *me* in (most of) the 90s.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Its a mixed bag really, on the on hand a good chunk of animation in the 90s actually WAS amazing(even IF the writing could get too weird at times), and the era was even dubbed the Animation Renaissance. But then we have the negative side of it, in Early Image comics, Young Blood, Spawn, Pitt, Scabb, Goiter, a hodge podge of crap. Also a Fantastic Four cartoon SO bad that they made fun of it in the comics.

Also I'm warming up to Doug, still weird dialogue, but its definitely good. Though I do wonder why they keep letting Roger into their houses, was this a thing people DID in the early nineties, invite people who'll just antagonize you?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

There was also more to the 90s than animated TV shows.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

There was also more to the 90s than animated TV shows.
No there WASN'T and SHAME on you for implying otherwise, GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

MORE DOUG TALK-season 3 had some pretty adult subject matter in it, Roger acting out because of his dad's divorce, and Doug initiating MASSIVE trauma to Patty by destroying her old house where she, her dad, and her DEAD mom lived. HOWEVER-I find it funny how they were comfortable with saying her mom died, but when they mentioned Roger's dad they said he "Lived in Bluffsberg" not just straight up saying that he was divorced from Roger's mother. Being robbed from this mortal coil, never to eat yogurt again-THAT is easy to talk about, but parents breaking up?! DANCE AROUND IT LIKE ALL HELL! Its a problem that persists even today, and I think shows are gonna dance around it for years to come.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"Lived in Bluffsberg"
I think you mean Bloatsburg. Bluffington is where Doug lives.

Jesus Christ, 20 years since I've seen an episode of Doug and I still remember the names of the towns. But sure, ask me something IMPORTANT that I should remember...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

MORE DOUG TALK-season 3 had some pretty adult subject matter in it, Roger acting out because of his dad's divorce, and Doug initiating MASSIVE trauma to Patty by destroying her old house where she, her dad, and her DEAD mom lived. HOWEVER-I find it funny how they were comfortable with saying her mom died, but when they mentioned Roger's dad they said he "Lived in Bluffsberg" not just straight up saying that he was divorced from Roger's mother. Being robbed from this mortal coil, never to eat yogurt again-THAT is easy to talk about, but parents breaking up?! DANCE AROUND IT LIKE ALL HELL! Its a problem that persists even today, and I think shows are gonna dance around it for years to come.
I was always under the impression that his dad and mom just didn't get married and he was just a loser. I don't even think he shows up in New Doug, where as I know Roger's Mom is an actual character there.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yo man, you wanna grab your pogs and slam?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I was always under the impression that his dad and mom just didn't get married and he was just a loser. I don't even think he shows up in New Doug, where as I know Roger's Mom is an actual character there.
They were at least seperated, as Doug called his mom "Mrs. Klotz" in some episodes without her correcting him.

On the topic of New Doug, its almost im-POSSIBLE to find video of it, and considering the massive fan hatred it had there might be a reason. Of course, Disney barely makes DVDs of their GOOD old shows so who knows.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yo man, you wanna grab your pogs and slam?
I'll never get tired of this

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll never get tired of this

Bunch of Cronenbergs ...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well, I have finished Nickelodeon's Doug and am quite certain the entire series Doug was tripping on acid. All the people were colored like crayons, the cars looked like flying saucers, hell the last episode of the series is and I am not lying here "Doug's bad trip". They fucking knew, and that was awesome.

There were some definite CRINGE-worthy episodes, the worst offender being "Doug's new Teacher". Really? Your really judging Doug based on Roger's testimony? Not say...the teachers? I don't care if she pulled a halfassed apology at the end, she sucked.

Also I know they wanted me to feel sad during the Christmas episode but COME ON- when Doug asked the judge who taught his daughter to walk again(meaning Porkchop his DOG), what can I do-BUT-laugh?

Either way, a good not great series that while it could've continued, would've also been good if they ended it on the graduation/roadtrip ep...WELL *clap* time to see if I can stomach at least one episode of "New Doug", is it actually bad, or is our nostalgia for the Halcyon days clouding our judgement? FIND OUT NEXT TIME! That is if I can find a video that isn't secretly spyware that is. Oh who am I kidding, there is no such thing in these horrible times.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well...that was one episode. It was...less torturous than I remember, even having some good jokes and a good ammount of the spirit of the Nick show-BUT-the lack of Billy West is noticeable. Though it is nice learning years later he left because of money issues and not some horrible behind the scenes drama, I always assumed a knife-fight was involved. And sure them making fun of it in show is a kind of a bandage on it, but the first ep was basically like being hit with one side of a hammer that said "Change is good" and then being hit by the other side that says "FUCKING DEAL WITH IT!" Also Judy's nose design just...KEEPS changing, dammit 1996 animators, show some consistency! And finally...there was a random "Arthur" reference thrown in there. I'm gonna assume someone on the show worked on that show, otherwise it felt weird.

GasBandit

GasBandit

When I think of "90s animation," the first show that jumps to mind is Ren and Stimpy. Please tell me you've seen that. The nickelodeon episodes, not the spike TV ones.

Also the 90s X-Men animated series, but I assume you have seen that. If you haven't, you can probably safely skip it... it was overwrought emo teen angst wrapped in spandex and animated at about 5 fps.[DOUBLEPOST=1451581906,1451581641][/DOUBLEPOST]And now that I'm thinking about it, of course, the floodgates open. Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Batman TAS, Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Beavis and Butthead/Daria, Dexter's Lab, Rocko's Modern Life, Ed Edd and Eddy... 2 Stupid Dogs was surprisingly layered and got all kinds of crap past the radar which made college-freshman GasBandit laugh his ass off.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

When I think of "90s animation," the first show that jumps to mind is Ren and Stimpy. Please tell me you've seen that. The nickelodeon episodes, not the spike TV ones.

Also the 90s X-Men animated series, but I assume you have seen that. If you haven't, you can probably safely skip it... it was overwrought emo teen angst wrapped in spandex and animated at about 5 fps.[DOUBLEPOST=1451581906,1451581641][/DOUBLEPOST]And now that I'm thinking about it, of course, the floodgates open. Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, Batman TAS, Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Beavis and Butthead/Daria, Dexter's Lab, Rocko's Modern Life, Ed Edd and Eddy... 2 Stupid Dogs was surprisingly layered and got all kinds of crap past the radar which made college-freshman GasBandit laugh his ass off.
I have the fondest memories of Ren and Stimpy, and have heard HORRIBLE things about the Spike reboot. Also vaguely remember X-men except for-CRY FOR THE MOON! And fuckin' eh to all of those, my favorite part of 2 Stupid Dogs was the "Secret Squirrel" reboot they had on it.