Export thread

The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Limit: 500

Bones

Bones

I am sure there have been many forebearer threads to this. HOWEVER, I FINALLY HAVE TIME TO WATCH ANIME AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MONTHS!:D

so I am starting a new thread to post my thoughts on what I am watching.(yeah I am a lame-o I KNOW!)since I now have the time to watch enough backlog of anime to make ones eyes bleed.

so with that out in the open, I started watching Ranma 1/2 today. I acquired the entire tv series, movies, and OVA's in a ill advised blitzkrieg of the Rightstuf cyber monday super sale.

I have reached the mid-point of season 2, so how do I say this gently....THIS SHOW IS FARKIN WEIRD.....so Ranma is this guy who is cursed to turn into a girl any time he is hit with cold water, and back when he is hit with warm water. so far we have met crazy killer amazons, near-sighted goose kung-fu fighters. long distance marathon ramen fighting, and tons of other wacky hijinks. I am left to wonder what I will see as the series continues, I am awestruck to say the least.

EDIT: everyone is welcome to post their thoughts, I just figured if no one is interested its always a good writing outlet :D

linglingface

linglingface

I love Ranma 1/2! It was one of the first series I watched, but never in order. :p I need to get on that, I've just seen a couple movie, I think most or all of season 1 and lots of random fun episodes in between.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I have been watching Soul Eater and LOVING IT.

My only gripe is that they study every little thing before moving the plot forward.

Bones

Bones

Soul eater looked really interesting but I keep putting off its purchase like the cheap mofo I am. In other news I found out my local AND LAST Suncoast is supposedly going out of business, so the plan is to shower and put some pants on and see if I can score any deals. although I expect they will be picked over and still super expensive! :D

Wahad

Wahad

I have been watching Soul Eater and LOVING IT.

My only gripe is that they study every little thing before moving the plot forward.
I got bored of Soul Eater halfway through the first season. I'm not even sure why, but it just didn't click with me.

The only anime I'm currently watching is Toriko. Basically, it's Dragonball Z, except the dragonballs are extremely amazing food.

As a person who likes food, this is the best anime.

drifter

drifter

I was listening to this one podcast, and one guy explained Toriko as "It's about punching meat."

I really should start watching that show.

Wahad

Wahad

I was listening to this one podcast, and one guy explained Toriko as "It's about punching meat."

I really should start watching that show.
Not just punching meat. It's also about punching plants. Sometimes.

@Li3n

@Li3n

The New Anime Thread!

so with that out in the open, I started watching Ranma 1/2 today.
Not what i was expecting when i opened this thread...

What i want to see is Candy Candy, but i can't seem to find it in full anywhere... oh nevermind, someone uploaded it since i last checked...

Man that anime scarred me for life... i'm still wary of gypsy fortune tellers and horses to this day... also, world wars...

Bones

Bones

haha, new in the sense that I have made them before and no one had posyted in them! candy candy looks silly!

@Li3n

@Li3n

candy candy looks silly!
Which is what makes it so shocking when they start killing off people...

Hell, for years i actually remembered it as 2 shows... the one where they killed
Anthony, and he was just the 1st
and the one where this girl in an orphanage likes to climb tree (climbing trees is awesome btw). I kept wondering if it's the same show or not...

At least Lady Oscar was already about screwed up Versailles court life...

Bones

Bones

I have decided I need to order the rest of YOU'RE UNDER ARREST! before it goes out of print next month

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I freakin' love YUA! A couple of the OAVs fell short of the mark, though...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I really, really wish Adult Swim would play more anime that didn't suck. Durarara! just ended so it's going into reruns (assuming they don't get ride of it), Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood ended earlier this year so it's in reruns now, and we've just had two straight weeks of Bleach marathons...

Bleach is AWFUL.

I think it's time for a new series.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

If my hatred for Bleach could be used as a fuel source, there would be no energy crisis.

Bones

Bones

i just flat gave up on AS, I mostly stream and buy at this point.

EDIT: IT...IS....DONE! I now have the rest of the first season of YUA on order from rightstuf. review will follow in a week, final impressions of ranma in the next few days.

Bones

Bones

Kenny Nakajima is the man, that is all

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Started watching Fate/Zero.

Bluebeard brutally murdering that kid was even worse to watch than it was to read about.

Bones

Bones

I wanted to buy that, but aniplex or w/e wants 400 some dollars for it....I was like OWW

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Is it legitimately available on the american market?

Bones

Bones

yes, http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/ot2l2lB-5JwEexhSB4/browse/item/93826/4/0/0 look at the regular price! I am a major collector and even I have to balk at that, way out of my league!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

what the fuck.

Bones

Bones

my thoughts exactly, I liked the original tv series, and I would love to buy it for about 1/2 that price, but anything over 200 is too rich for my blood.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

You could totally read it at http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Fate/Zero

Although fate/zero does assume you're familiar with more of f/sn than just what they showed in the series.

Bones

Bones

yeah I was never much of a manga guy, I could probably play catch up but I cant be arsed.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Fate/Zero is a series of light novels. And fate/stay night is a visual novel. So no worries about not being a manga guy :zoid:

Bones

Bones

great....more reading, just what I wanted to do with my limited free time after reading text books and reports for 12 hours! :p

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Finished Fate/Zero. Was only half the story. Rest of it airs in April. Finished it on one hell of a cliffhanger ._.
Started Persona 4. They did a pretty good job adapting it for screen.

Covar

Covar

Started watching Fairy Tail. It's not bad, and I even like the dub. My roommate has the DVD/Blu-ray disks. I wanted to sign up for crunchy roll so I could watch further than what Funimation has out, but to my chagrin they only allow the 4 most recent episodes. I've watched 2, they're on 114. Bullshit I say.

Bones

Bones

its looks interesting, i generally stay away from shonen jump stuff, but I might have to give it a look.

Covar

Covar

its looks interesting, i generally stay away from shonen jump stuff, but I might have to give it a look.
I'm worried it will turn into another dragged out "only the main character is worth a damn" anime in the vein of DBZ, but I have friends that tell me it's not the case. Hopefully the episodes are paced as well as the first couple too, because nothing like watching 10 mins of content dragged out over 22 with reaction shots and dramatic pauses to make you want to go and find something productive to do with your life.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So, what's the deal with anime being so expensive State Side nowadays?

Is is just that fans will pay $100 an hour for anything Japanese? or is there some entertainment embargo?

Covar

Covar

Is is just that fans will pay $100 an hour for anything Japanese? or is there some entertainment embargo?
A lot of fans won't pay $ for anything Japanese.

Bones

Bones

I think partial due to the Japanese companies importing directly to the US, since the majority of watchers do not watch dubbed. There is also the issue of the markets rapid shrinkage. I expect soon the dvd/blu-ray stuff will be dead, or we will be paying 300-400 dollars a series like the Japanese consumers do. just my take.

EDIT: also what Covar said, the majority of the viewership is just not going to pay.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I guess I am just sad that anime has been priced out of the market. It is very hard to find on TV now too...

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Well, caught up to broadcast of Persona 4. Episodes 13 and 14 were pretty well done.

Time to watch Saki.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Are there any good shows now on basic cable? The good ones seem to have left adult swim.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

If AS is still broadcasting Durarara, that. Otherwise, none that that I'm aware of.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Thanks, I'll check to see if I can DVR it.

I'd love to find another Space Opera. The Japanese were so good at it back when I was a kid.

Bones

Bones

I guess I am just sad that anime has been priced out of the market. It is very hard to find on TV now too...
I think it is equally the companies faults for being unwilling to try new things in other countries and the pirates fault for being somewhat entitled assholes and saying why should I pay when i can get it for free!? personally I actually like dubs, I have found very few painful ones to yell about. so the lack of an American market makes me sad. there is also my collection that I want to grow, but likely wont be able to.

drifter

drifter

Thanks, I'll check to see if I can DVR it.

I'd love to find another Space Opera. The Japanese were so good at it back when I was a kid.

Have you watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes? You'd have to torrent it, and it's hella long, but I've heard it's pretty much the apex of the genre.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

As some one that removes viruses for a living, I just don't torrent much.

drifter

drifter

Oh snap, Redline is out. I'm gonna have to remember to pick that up.

-edit-

As some one that removes viruses for a living, I just don't torrent much.

It may be worth making an exception; I have heard nothing but overwhelming praise for L0GH. The fansub from Central Anime is, as far as my antivirus knows, clean.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Redline is the first anime in probably a decade that actually has me wanting to see it. It's beyond gorgeous.

Bones

Bones

do want, will get tomorrow, for sleepy time tomorrow night

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

The more I watch Saki, the more I'm convinced that mahjong is the calvinball of gambling.

Bones

Bones

http://www.toonamiaftermath.com/ this is cool, that is all

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Watching fourth season of Maria-sama ga Miteru.

If it's anything like the first two seasons and the OVAs, I predict absolutely nothing will happen. And so far, I'm right.

Covar

Covar

Just watched Lupin the Third: Castle of Cagliostro on Netflix. The dub was meh, but I was impressed by the animation. Overall a fun adventure movie. My first experience with Lupin the Third and it did pique my interest in maybe checking out some more.

Bones

Bones

Trying to watch cardcaptor sakura, making shitty progress because I cant be arsed to watch hours of subtitled shit after 12-18 hours of straight work...that is all :Leyla:

Covar

Covar

I also want to add the following about the movie. This is most likely because I'm american, but right before the climax of the movie, there's a wedding, which has all the guards dressed up in black pointy hooded robes. It was...awkward.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Welp, I'm still right. The big news of this episode is two of the characters are going to be holding a tea party, and the central conflict is whether or not this one girl is going to show up to the tea party.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Haha, this show proves to me that the only thing better than Japanese people speaking gratuitous English is Japanese people speaking gratuitous French

Hylian

Hylian

I just finished watching Elfen Lied and I must say it was fucking awesome. It was a bit short at only 13 episodes but man what a ride. Still the ending left me with numerous questions so I may go out and pick up the manga so I can get more of the story but man what a show.

Hylian

Hylian

I just got done watching Sound of the Sky (also called Sora No Woto) and I really enjoyed it. It isn't very long and it may be to moe for some not to mention there isn't as much emphasis on story as some may want. But it does have fairly well developed characters and excellent visuals/audio. It definitely is not for everyone but for those who are in the right mindset it is a very enjoyable ride.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Well, finished Maria-sama ga Miteru season 4. Japanese people speaking French is the best.

ps:

Covar

Covar

Japanese people speaking French is the best.
Check out the latest Super Sentai series then, Tokumei Sentai Gobusters. One of the main villians peppers his speech with French.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Oh my yes!

unrelated:
punch-o.gif

Namesake

I just started watching Desert Punk on Netflix. I didn't expect it to be so crass. Still, seems like it might amount to something unlike Mobile Fighter G Gundam which I'm only watching for my Gundam completionism.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I finally, finally, finished Wallflower. I've had it for...a couple of years now and just got around to finishing. Gosh, I love that show. Heh.

Bones

Bones

i want to watch the wallflower, havent had time, desert punk is just plain national lampoons retarded lol

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I highly recommend Wallflower! When you've got the time - do it!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I enjoyed what I read of the manga. Do you know if it transitioned well?

drifter

drifter

I never read the manga, but I thought the premise was interesting. Watched something over half the series, then bailed when I realized I was forcing myself to watch. Overall pretty meh in my opinion. I did enjoy Goth-goth-loli-loli.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I haven't read all of the manga, but from what I've read I think it transitioned quite well. I think it's still hilarious and I think the art style is perfect. Fun stuff.

fade

fade

Don't understand the Bleach hatred. It's a vast universe with a well thought out mythology, and characters that weren't just cut from the same old screamy-big-head-teardrop shonen cloth (except for orihime). I respect most of you enough to hope it's not a hate-because-it's-popular thing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I just finished watching Elfen Lied and I must say it was fucking awesome. It was a bit short at only 13 episodes but man what a ride. Still the ending left me with numerous questions so I may go out and pick up the manga so I can get more of the story but man what a show.
Elfen Lied was amazing. As it started I thought it was just going to be some grimdark blood and guts violent anime, and I was confused as to why my usually squeamish then-fiancee was a big fan. Did not at all expect the philosophical and emotional monster that it turned out to be, especially the flashback episodes and the ending.

It's been a few years; I need to watch that again.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

For me, I'm not a huge fan of super long anime. Bleach just keeps going and going.. The characters are great, I even adore Orihime, but I just can't keep up with it, so I gave up. (Which means I'm also not a huge fan of Nartuo or even DBZ...though I enjoy them, just to hard/tedious for me to keep up with them.)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm just tired of Bleach. I kinda want Williams Street to get One Piece instead. Seriously, just keep it mostly unedited and people will fucking watch it. What don't those idiots understand?

Hylian

Hylian

For anyone who is interested Rightstuf.com is having a sale on Anime series from Bandai. Most are at least 40% off and some are even more. Below is the link to the complete list of everything that is on sale.

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000003514&Offset=0&ReturnTo=Archive

Covar

Covar

that's a lot of Gundam. :(

fade

fade

Necronic

Necronic

So here's my list of anime that are on Netflix streaming that you would be insane (INSANE) to miss:

Samurai Seven - This is the only anime I have ever seen that I feel almost reaches the "Cowboy Beebop" standard. It's not quite there, but it is incredibly close. Second best anime I have ever seen. It's the story of the Seven Samurai retold in a steampunk world. Except the bandits are Gundam. Seriously.

Elfin Lied - Incredibly gruesome but a great story and very complex characters

Darker than Black - Fantastic, awesome anime. I would put it 3rd on my all time list.

Rin - Takes a while to get going but it's pretty good and just continues to get better as the story goes. Can be graphic at times.

Baccano! - Very interesting for it's character and story telling method, which jumps around somewhat randomly through time, showing you the end before the beginning and ending in the middle. Very well done. You also get to see the Japanese write up what 20s era American gangsters were like, and it doesn't feel that far off to be honest.

hmmmm......I think that's it.

Hylian

Hylian

The sale at rightstuf managed to steal a good chunk of my money but I grabbed several sets I have been meaning to watch so it was worth it. The hard part was that I was tempted to spend a lot more but in the end I bought the following sets

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion DVD Complete Season 1
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion DVD Complete Season 2
Infinite Ryvius
My-HiME
Scryed

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Love Code Geass!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

now watching Smile Precure

I'm pretty sure I'm outside of the target demographic by around 15 years and I'm also the wrong gender ._.

Covar

Covar

now watching Smile Precure

I'm pretty sure I'm outside of the target demographic by around 15 years and I'm also the wrong gender ._.
Did you know it's one of the only magical girl series to even come anywhere close to Sailor Moon's popularity? Made by the same studio (Toei) and originally influenced strongly by Sentai just like Sailor Moon. Or so I've heard.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I did.

The Magical Girl genre is strongly influenced by Sentai because Sailor Moon incorporated a lot of Sentai elements in its structure. And since Sailor Moon codified many of the tropes used in Magical Girl series, basically every Magical Girl series afterwards uses Sentai elements.
Added at: 22:54
Also, how does Cure March have a ponytail and pigtails simultaneously?
Cure_March.PNG

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

curePeaceFacePlant.gif

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I hope you guys like gifs of anime you don't watch
preCureHappyShower.gif

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I hope you guys like Smile Pretty Cure gifs

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Mirai Nikki (future diary) is available in sub form on Nico-Nico (100% legit, too).

Bones

Bones

The sale at rightstuf managed to steal a good chunk of my money but I grabbed several sets I have been meaning to watch so it was worth it. The hard part was that I was tempted to spend a lot more but in the end I bought the following sets

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion DVD Complete Season 1
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion DVD Complete Season 2
Infinite Ryvius
My-HiME
Scryed
everything is pretty good except INFINITE RYVIUS... ಠ_ಠ that anime is literally one of the most boring things I ever had the misfortune to watch...

Hylian

Hylian

everything is pretty good except INFINITE RYVIUS... ಠ_ಠ that anime is literally one of the most boring things I ever had the misfortune to watch...

I haven't see it before but I have heard good things about it from several different places so hopefully I will like it. If not I guess I will be glad that I got it on sale.

Bones

Bones

well its not bad! I just found it incredibly boring. Keep in mind, I got the entire original platinum box set from a friend for 10 bucks. My glasses may be tinted shit color, but I remember thinking it was not my favorite flavor of anime, if you will.

fade

fade

Been watching Devil May Cry. It's pretty bland, but the American voice actor for Dante is actually really good. It's a shame it's in such a mediocre show.

LittleSin

LittleSin

On the topic of Netflix anime I am going to suggest Ouran Hgih School Host Club.

It is just so weird and awkwardly funny..though the show doesn't have as much of a resolution as the manga.

Same goes for Soul Eater. Get past the first three or four episodes and things get good. At least it has a resolution though!

Hylian

Hylian

I loved Ouran High School Host Club, it is as you said awkwardly funny but that is the charm of it. It definitely is not a show for everyone but I still immensely enjoyed it. I have been meaning to go an buy the manga to get more of the storyline but other things keep coming up (ECCC, LoZ Symphony Concert, Soul Calibur 5, anime sale at Rightsuf, etc)

Necronic

Necronic

I couldn't get into Soul Eater. I only watched the first couple of episodes though so maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

LittleSin

LittleSin

The first three episodes are just one shots, like three different pilots.

I think it was around episode 4 or 5 that all the characters began to come together. Atleast watch until you get to Franken Stein and Medusa.

Bones

Bones

so I just found an old anime called angel cop....anyone seen it?

drifter

drifter

Oh shit, get ready for some madness.

LittleSin

LittleSin

so I just found an old anime called angel cop....anyone seen it?
Oh fuck. Get ready for some crap 90'd anime.

It will be GLORIOUS.

fade

fade

I'm going to start using 90'd in sentences. "Check out that kid n' play haircut!" "LOL 90'd"

Bones

Bones

are you guys saying you want like a video review when I am done? :3

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Actually the funny thing about a lot of magical girl anime nowadays is it ends up targeting guys moreso than girls, apparently. Hell, I've caught up on Smile Precure and it's hilarious, I haven't laughed that much since Nichijou and YuruYuri.. Speaking of which, Nichijou and YY are hilarious and everyone should watch them.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

The target demographics for magical girl anime nowadays are small girls, their parents, and adult males

Bones

Bones

ITS LIKE MLP:FIM IN THE US! TROLOLOLOLOLOL

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

ITS LIKE MLP:FIM IN THE US! TROLOLOLOLOLOL
shizuoPunchingDudeOutOfUnderwear.gif

Bones

Bones

drifter

drifter

Bones

Bones

Galaxy Angel Rune vol 4
I have looked everywhere for this elusive beast and found no place selling used copies, its like some sort of ghost. I am curious if any of you have seen a copy or have one you are looking to get rid of, I pay good money for results. :3

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

ALL: Pose as a team, because SHIT JUST GOT REAL
poseLikeATeam.gif

fade

fade

Okay, I tried Soul Eater.... ugh.
It feels like it was created by a bunch of monkeys smoking crack and pixie sticks.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

ALL: Pretend to be fish
allFishImpressions.gif

Bones

Bones

I am so glad that you guys are keeping this thing alive for me. I enjoy knowing I am not the only mook on here who likes anime.

So I have been watching Cardcaptor Sakura, I just got to the first movie which has an english dub.
I need to preface I dont normaly have a problem with dubs, but this thing was HORRIBLE, I mean I have never heard a 10 year old girl sound like a 30 year old woman with a smoking problem. not to mention the stuffed animal familiar that sounds like corey feldman! I have not laughed so hard in my life trying to watch this in english.

Next on my pile is Angel Cop, audio review will probably happen post viewing with my thoughts :3

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm slowly going through Lucky Star. I've seen a good handful of SoL anime at this point and figured I should get around to it. It's funny and I'm enjoying it, but unlike most other shows I've watched, even of similar make, I can't seem to do more than one or two episodes in a row before moving on to something else.

Bones

Bones

SoL anime?

drifter

drifter

Slice of life, I presume.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

definitely slice of life

I didn't really like Lucky Star. Got repetitive quickly. Eventually I was only watching for Minoru Shiraishi singing and dancing the various ending themes

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's definitely not one of my top slice of life shows, but it's not bad. I got more out of Yuru Yuri and Nichijou. entertainment-wise.

Bones

Bones

mmmm slice of life anime, I still have a strange love for the weird esoteric stuff like FLCL

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Heh, Yuru Yuri was also disappointing to me. Although that's because I didn't like Kyoko and then she got all the screen time. I did like her a lot when she dove down a staircase, hit her head, had a radical change of personality, and then none of her friends thought to call the hospital.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Heh, Yuru Yuri was also disappointing to me. Although that's because I didn't like Kyoko and then she got all the screen time. I did like her a lot when she dove down a staircase, hit her head, had a radical change of personality, and then none of her friends thought to call the hospital.
Funny thing is I only got to about episode 5 or so before dropping it during broadcast, ended up grabbing the whole thing and for some reason it seemed to be better a few episodes at a time. I think all in all Nichijou has been my favorite of the slice of life stuff, though for the most part I seem to end up watching romantic/comedy type stuff with the occasional harem show. I've watched Toradora! a few times now, and I end up re-watching Ah! My Goddess and various Tenchi series sometime during the year.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

As far as SoL goes, I really liked Minami-ke and Working!!.

But I tend to watch whatever.

drifter

drifter

Am I the only one who thinks describing stuff like Lucky Star and Minami-ke as 'slice of life' is kind of odd? They're sitcoms. I mean you wouldn't call, say, Boy Meets World slice of life, would you?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd call Durarara!!! "slice of life"... only that slice of life is from a town that would make Twin Peaks or Greenvale look normal.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

as long as somebody knows what type of show is being generally referred to, who cares?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

As far as SoL goes, I really liked Minami-ke and Working!!.

But I tend to watch whatever.
I wasn't super into Minami-ke, gave it a shot but something just didn't click for me. I do like both seasons of Working!, though.

fade

fade

What's up with sexes on Soul Eater? The Chrona kid appears to be female, but everyone calls him a boy. All the witch prison guards clearly have breasts, but they speak in male voices on the translation. I'm confused.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Chrona's gender is deliberately ambiguous. Everyone will call it "him" and Medusa will refer to it as her "daughter".

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Anyone here ever watch Tatami Galaxy? Man I loved that series, probly one of the most original things to come out of Japan in years.

fade

fade

Okay... this is me eating crow. Mmm mmm. Soul Eater got much better. To the point where I wasn't even sure I was watching the same show anymore. They dropped most of the annoying anime-isms pretty quick, and toned down the over the top stuff. It went from silly to goofy to semi-serious, to downright fucked-up scary. Those little multicolored scrabbling little three-eyed thingies were creepy as hell.
The kishin's revival was messed up, though it was a little disappointing that he turned out to be so human. oh well. Was surprised it was ki shin and not ki shen from their pronounciation. So---dead energy, not energy dragon, I guess.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Well, watching Black★Rock Shooter while waiting for more Smile Precure and Fate/Zero. So far, a girl with an oversized rifle has shot at a giant face. Then a different girl makes a friend. Now she's getting offered different colored walnuts

unrelated:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I watched a few episodes of BRS. Even after reading up on it in some wikis, I still have no idea what the hell is going on, so I ended up dropping it.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

All I know is a little girl tried to shove a candy that looked a lot like a vagina in another girl's face.

I heard it's only going to be 8 episodes long, so at least it has the decency to be short.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Didn't know it was only 8 eps. Apparently Nisemonogatari is only 10, I have the last one downloaded but haven't watched it yet. I've got like 4 episodes of Natsume s4 to watch, too.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Hey, as a person who hasn't watched anime in..oh...like over a decade and recently enjoyed the visual splendor of the movie Redline, is there anything else you folks could recommend me? I mean, it doesn't have to match Redline, but I very much appreciate arresting visuals.

drifter

drifter

I'd suggest Paprika. I've also heard good things about Sword of the Stranger. Both are movies.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I admit it's a pretty original series, and a good shouneny take on the death in general. But does anyone else find it weird how Soul's name is...actually Soul? This is what I find weird, not the confusing super powers, not what happens to the souls the evil souls eat after their eaten by scythes, I'm confused about a character's parents name choice!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

His full name is Soul Eater.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Been feeling a jones for You're Under Arrest! lately... keep meaning to pick up that series...

Bones

Bones

Been feeling a jones for You're Under Arrest! lately... keep meaning to pick up that series...
do it quickly man, its out of print...I payed almost 80 bucks to get it all, vol 11 is impossible to find outside box-set 4 which is now redonkulously expensive last I checked.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

...... Urge to torrent rising...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

His full name is Soul Eater.
No his real name is Soul Evans. Soul Eater is a nick-name that he got when he found out he was a death-scythe. How are people born death scythes? Is it X-men rules?

Bones

Bones

...... Urge to torrent rising...

the company that holds the title (7 dollars a volume)
volume 11

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

No his real name is Soul Evans. Soul Eater is a nick-name that he got when he found out he was a death-scythe. How are people born death scythes? Is it X-men rules?
iirc, he prefers "Eater" since it distances himself from his famous older brother.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

iirc, he prefers "Eater" since it distances himself from his famous older brother.
Oh I get the name change, but what about his powers? Is it based on Genetics or is it like psychic powers?

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Hey, as a person who hasn't watched anime in..oh...like over a decade and recently enjoyed the visual splendor of the movie Redline, is there anything else you folks could recommend me? I mean, it doesn't have to match Redline, but I very much appreciate arresting visuals.
You might enjoy Karas. It's a movie in two parts: Karas: The Prophecy, Karas: The Revelation. I think it's a pretty stunning movie to watch with interesting characters.

Also, just going to throw this out there, Full Metal Panic! is one of my favorite animes of all time. And I highly recommend it to anyone.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Full Metal Panic rocks out loud. I include Fumoffu in this assessment.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Anyone else sick of people complaining about filler in cartoons? If you want something exactly like the manga then just read the freaking manga!

Covar

Covar

I hate when people complain about filler when there's no manga adaptation, like most toku.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I hate when people complain about filler when there's no manga adaptation, like most toku.
Ugh, those freaking people. If you don't like a nice silly monster fight than what's the point in watchin it?

Covar

Covar

Also filler is content created specifically for the anime, so they don't outpace or while waiting for the manga. The fact that there's no direct tie to the main story doesn't make it a filler episode (it makes it about 80% of a series). </petpeeve>

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It honestly made me love the DBZ cartoon. Then they made Kai and ruined it. I WANT MY DEPRESSING BUG PLANET!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I didn't mind the pure filler episodes in DBZ, but I really hated waiting 10+ episodes to resolve a single fight.

Also, Fullmetal Alchemist is basically an entire series based around filler. It's still awesome, even if it's a different story than FMA: Brotherhood.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

FMA: Brotherhood is an exact translation from the manga right? So.....the author got away with animating the same story twice? Weird.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yes, Brotherhood follows the manga. Basically what happened is the FMA was SUPPOSED to be the manga adaption, but the manga kept getting hit with delays and they finally just decided that it wasn't worth delaying the TV series anymore, so it went off on it's own direction instead. It's still remarkably good.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yes, Brotherhood follows the manga. Basically what happened is the FMA was SUPPOSED to be the manga adaption, but the manga kept getting hit with delays and they finally just decided that it wasn't worth delaying the TV series anymore, so it went off on it's own direction instead. It's still remarkably good.
Kinda like the Trigun cartoon? Cool.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Ah really? Well, guess I'm just gonna have to get Trigun in the mail I guess.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

If I had to rate Fukuzawa Yumi on a scale of 1-10, where 1 is "Would go gay for a celebrity" and 10 is "Only thinks about stuff that's gay", she's a lesbillion

yumiFantasizingAboutSachiko.gif

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

LADIES!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Anyone here find English subs of Kinnikuman? Everywhere I go and I find them...there in Spanish. Why does Mexico and Spain get all the awesome wrestling fiction?

drifter

drifter

Hokuto no Gun has the first thirty-one eps in English.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You know what was probably one of the greatest Japanse cartoons I've seen. Nerima Daikon Brothers. I might have all-ready said this, but it is really good.

Check out the theme song and say I'm wrong.

fade

fade

Rosario + Vampire. This was.... interesting. Very hypersexed. At least Tsukune (the main character) actually shows interest in all the hot girls rubbing their boobs in his face, unlike most young male anime characters. The stuff with Yokari is a little Chris Hansenish, though, considering it's explicitly stated in the show that she's a little girl who is only in high school because she's a child prodigy.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Rosario + Vampire. This was.... interesting. Very hypersexed. At least Tsukune (the main character) actually shows interest in all the hot girls rubbing their boobs in his face, unlike most young male anime characters. The stuff with Yokari is a little Chris Hansenish, though, considering it's explicitly stated in the show that she's a little girl who is only in high school because she's a child prodigy.
I heard the manga was better.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I heard
miyuki-candyThePolice.gif

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well, I got my reason to smile today.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Rosario + Vampire's manga is a bit more shounen and a lot less fanservice. Tsukune does his badass Vampire blood stuff a lot more often and is less of a damsel in distress, plus the backgrounds of the various girls are much more fleshed out. The downside is it seems to be translated (or maybe printed) at a very slow pace. Iv'e not read it in a year or so, though.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Rosario + Vampire's manga is a bit more shounen and a lot less fanservice. Tsukune does his badass Vampire blood stuff a lot more often and is less of a damsel in distress, plus the backgrounds of the various girls are much more fleshed out. The downside is it seems to be translated (or maybe printed) at a very slow pace. Iv'e not read it in a year or so, though.
So...no fan-service? SOLD! I honestly found the panty-shots a little annoying in the show.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's been awhile since I've read it, as I said, but I'm sure there's still some in there. Not as much as the anime, but it'll still be there.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Meh, I can take a small ammount as long as it ain't like "Medaka Box" level fan-service. That series is craaaaaaaaaaaap.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Presented without comment

sakuraIsPerry.gif

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Pipirupirupiru piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Is there ever going to be a second season of Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt? I hope so, that series was so off the wall.

Hylian

Hylian

I just finished up watching Spice and Wolf and I absolutely loved it. But now I am sad because there are currently no plans for a 3rd season so if I want to find out the end I will have to wait for the light novels or the manga.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I doubt Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt is getting a second season. I'm pretty sure that ending, and bringing up that there would be a second season, is Gainax trolling the audience.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Gainax bein' all Gainaxy.

Also S&W has finished in Japan, you can find a summary of it if you look. That's what I did.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

お前はもうslamでいる

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I've read the manga for Fist of the North Star, I feel volume 17 was the tipping point.

Necronic

Necronic

I just finished up watching Spice and Wolf and I absolutely loved it. But now I am sad because there are currently no plans for a 3rd season so if I want to find out the end I will have to wait for the light novels or the manga.
Spice and Wolf is one of the most unique animes I have ever had the pleasure of watching. An excellent show for people that are into that kind of stuff.

I've recently started watching Guin Saga which is pretty good (not great), and finally pushed through Claymore which ended up being better than expected but (yet again), not great.

linglingface

linglingface

I started watching "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt" again! Aaaand... yep, still SO WEIRD. But I can't stop watching! <3

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I started watching "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt" again! Aaaand... yep, still SO WEIRD. But I can't stop watching! <3
It is great isn't it? I wish I could find more of the manga too.

linglingface

linglingface

There's a manga?? :confused: Guess that's not too surprising since it's almost always manga then anime... I have to say though, I'm a little scared to look further into that!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Anime came first.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

There's a manga?? :confused: Guess that's not too surprising since it's almost always manga then anime... I have to say though, I'm a little scared to look further into that!
Actually like most Gainax products, the manga was made AFTER the cartoon. Weird I know. This was I assume to keep the series going after the show's run was done.

linglingface

linglingface

Actually like most Gainax products, the manga was made AFTER the cartoon. Weird I know. This was I assume to keep the series going after the show's run was done.
Oh interesting! I don't watch enough anime or read enough manga to really know. :p All I knew is how anime is usually made after to help with sales of the manga. Any idea where I can find P&S??

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Oh interesting! I don't watch enough anime or read enough manga to really know. :p
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeFirst

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Oh interesting! I don't watch enough anime or read enough manga to really know. :p All I knew is how anime is usually made after to help with sales of the manga. Any idea where I can find P&S??
The first chapter is on here: http://www.mangapark.com/manga/Panty-Stocking-with-Garterbelt/v1c1

I've read it's been going on since 2010 but this is the only chapter I can find for some reason.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The eyyyyyyyyyyes. THEY PIERCE INTO MY SOUL! By the way what's that from?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

heatherling , you should totally follow me on tumblr. It's filled with gifs. New ones fairly often.

http://ehwiki.tumblr.com

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

That is Nigel Thornberry. He is from The Wild Thornberrys.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That is Nigel Thornberry. He is from The Wild Thornberrys.
Oh no not that, the background cartoon.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Smile Pretty Cure

linglingface

linglingface

I freaking love Nigel gifs. They make my week. WEEK!! Also this: http://disneyfaceswap.tumblr.com/

And let's bring this back to anime. Uhh I have nothing.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Here's an oldie but a goodie:

Oddly enough, directed by Nabeshin director of Excel Saga who as usual has a character based on him IN the series who is called Angus in the American version. One of the few series he's directed where he hasn't voiced his own character in the original Japanese version.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Now that Black★Rock Shooter is over, I'm on the market for a new series. Any suggestions?

Also, second half of Fate/Zero starts up in a couple of weeks. That should be exciting. People should start dying soon (spoiler alert).

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well I would say Tokyo Pig, but they only got like 4-8 episodes on Youtube. Those DVD bastards get ya by the balls. Have you seen Tatami Galaxy? Trippy as aaaaaaaaaaaaall hell.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like the Persona 4 Anime ended for the Summer, using the 2nd ending for the game... but with the True Ending getting a special in August. I've honestly been impressed with the adaption... yes, some characters don't get fully fleshed out and some stories are a little different, but the core story and ideology are there. Here's hoping the True Ending is awesome.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Looks like the Persona 4 Anime ended for the Summer, using the 2nd ending for the game... but with the True Ending getting a special in August. I've honestly been impressed with the adaption... yes, some characters don't get fully fleshed out and some stories are a little different, but the core story and ideology are there. Here's hoping the True Ending is awesome.
I've heard jokes that series is a lot like Jojo's bizarre adventure like how the personas are like the stands? I'm not sayin' its a bad thing that series inspired like a BILLION video games.

LittleSin

LittleSin

heatherling , you should totally follow me on tumblr. It's filled with gifs. New ones fairly often.

http://ehwiki.tumblr.com
I shall follow you on tumblr!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

:awesome:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Just as a heads up, Williams Street has heard the fan outcry from the April 1st Toonami showing and is considering bringing it back in some form. So we may be getting a return of those awesome classic series in the future, or possibly having Saturday's CN Adult Swim block turned into Toonami or something.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Could that mean new imports? :)

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I started Hare and Guu and I just...don't even..It's SO hilarious! But makes no sense. I just...Go watch it. Please. Right now. Find it somewhere and watch it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Could that mean new imports? :)
We usually get a new import series once or twice a year from William's Street. Last Year we got Durarara!!! and that show about the kids defending the school. So yeah... it's entirely likely we'll hear what they are planning for this year around the same time. I suspect Panty and Stocking will be one of them.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Toonami...may...be...BACK! YES! AWESOME STEVE BLUME ROBOT FOR THE MOTHA FUCKIN WIN!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Now that Black★Rock Shooter is over, I'm on the market for a new series. Any suggestions?

Also, second half of Fate/Zero starts up in a couple of weeks. That should be exciting. People should start dying soon (spoiler alert).
I just watched the first episode of Medaka Box and it looks like it's going to be good. Second season of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is also starting strong. As for this past season's offerings, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Symphogear (it was alright), and Kill Me Baby were all worth watching.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I just watched the first episode of Medaka Box and it looks like it's going to be good. Second season of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? is also starting strong. As for this past season's offerings, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Symphogear (it was alright), and Kill Me Baby were all worth watching.
Have you read the manga? I couldn't get into it, Medaka just felt really off-putting as a main character to me. Also it felt a little "X-meny" later on.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

are any of those romantic comedies?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Medaka Box is pretty mucha high school shonen comic with fan-service and kids with super powers. Got no idea on the others.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

are any of those romantic comedies?
Nope. Medaka is mostly comedy, Highschool Boys is basically Nichijou with guys, Symphogear is action. Ano Natsu de Materu is kind of like Toradora, mixing comedy, romance and some drama, and is worth the watch.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You know what's an oldie but a goodie? Kinnikuman. Just about all the chapters of the original series are on Mangafox.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You know what I wish they had more of over here? Shin-chan. As man dirty jokes are in that show, I would let my kids watch it's that good.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Ano Natsu de Materu is kind of like Toradora, mixing comedy, romance and some drama, and is worth the watch.
I'm reminded of Please Teacher.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

One romantic comedy I do NOT enforce, Peach Girl. It is....just bad. Really really bad, that's all I'm saying.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Mysterious Girlfriend X got an animated adaptation? Oh hell fucking yes!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Mysterious Girlfriend X got an animated adaptation? Oh hell fucking yes!
I have just read the synopsis for this. ....weird. Not sayin' that's a bad thing in fact it looks interestin but...weird.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

she wouldn't be a mysterious girlfriend if she weren't weird

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Good point! So, am I the only one who reads/watches One Piece on this forum? It's pretty much the only one of the Big 3 in my opinion that has actual good story-sttucture.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I read it out of habit. I'm more about romances, comedies, romantic comedies, and stuff for girls, so I'm not that big on it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And I'm more 0n action adventure. Though I do love a good romance from time to time. Emphasis on "good", I'm really picky when it comes to romance stories. What's really good, like a really good romance manga in your opinion?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Kimagure Orange Road

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ano Natsu was worked on by two people from Please Teacher, one being the director I think.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Fate/Zero has started up again.

First episode broadcast features the fight between the possessed fighter jet and the ancient Sumerian flying machine. Yiiiiiiiis.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Ano Natsu was worked on by two people from Please Teacher, one being the director I think.
Well. That explains it. He appears to like stories about everydudes who meet hot aliens.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Fate/Zero has started up again.

First episode broadcast features the fight between the possessed fighter jet and the ancient Sumerian flying machine. Yiiiiiiiis.
I'm going to wait for the series to finish, then marathon it like I did F/SN. Also, as you get through Ano Natsu there are apparently things that loosely tie it to Please Teacher.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

They're going to casually toss around terms that get introduced in the Heaven's Feel route of FSN, so some of the references are going to go over your head.

Also, since I'm now not the only person watching FZ, I'll do my best to keep casual spoilers to a minimum. Although, if you've watched FSN, you should be able to guess how FZ is going to end.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah I've not played the FS VN's, I'm still procrastinating on finishing Majikoi! It's not as engaging as KS was so far, though I'm still in the pre-route days (a day or two past Chris and Wanko's first fight).

Also, everyone should be watching Space Brothers, Upotte! and Acchi Kochi if nothing else this season, they're all super good. Acchi Kochi is shaping up to be a funny SoL/romance so far in the first episode, Space Brothers is just plain good, and Upotte! is cute gun-girls doing cute things.

Bones

Bones

I just ordered okami-san and her seven companions, looked interesting.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I just ordered okami-san and her seven companions, looked interesting.
It's pretty good. Though I feel they should have had more than 13 eps. The story felt a little scrunched.

Anyone read BlackJack? I friggin' love that series. Hokey medical sci-fi at it's best.

fade

fade

Started High School of the Dead. This would be a decent show with some tension if it weren't for all the fanservice. I like boobies and all, but get to the story. Can't stand the doctor. She's the anime stock character I can't stand.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd say read the Manga, but it's on hiatus right now for some reason, while we wait for Ch. 30. It's been over a year though. The author's other series, Triage X, is still running though.

Honestly, just get the English volumes for now. The manga goes a little bit further than the TV series (they've left the Mall and found another parent).

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Watching MM! It's good times.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Watching MM! It's good times.
I liked this one a lot. Sadly the LN's author died.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I liked this one a lot. Sadly the LN's author died.
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, last year. The LN is unfinished and I doubt they'd animate whatever is left.

Speaking of painful things, I watched the first episode of Shining Hearts: Holy Shit Do We Love Bread. It was about 26 minutes of, well, bread. It's based off a JRPG so I assumed it wouldn't just focus on the bread-baking side quests, but apparently I was wrong.

Covar

Covar

I want to watch Gunsmith Cats again, but ADV made the dvds. :fu:

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hi Friends.

Should I watch FMA before FMA: Brotherhood?

Covar

Covar

One's the manga, and the other's the manga followed by new story they made because the manga wasn't coming out fast enough.

So I doubt it matters much.

BananaHands

BananaHands

So, I should watch FMA: Brotherhood?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Yes

fade

fade

Both are good. The art is cheaper in Brotherhood. Looks kind of like they rushed it. But still good.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They are two completely different stories, but both are worth watching. Watch FMA The Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa for the finale of the first series. Brotherhood doesn't have a movie yet, I think.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I agree that both are worth watching, and would probably suggest the original FMA first. Brotherhood rushes through the material it shares with FMA, making several moments lose weight. I wish you could just watch the first X episodes of the first one, then start brotherhood at episode Y, but there's just enough plot differences in the shared material to make that confusing.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

If you want to watch two 50+ episode series, watch both.

If you only want to watch one, go Brotherhood.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, I'd say that too. Brotherhood gets the message of the series out a lot better than FMA did, especially it's ending.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Hmm, I'm going to have to disagree. Given the choice between the two, I'd keep the original. While the ending plot for Brotherhood was better than FMA's ending plot and there some Brotherhood characters that I'd miss, the original really hit the tone right and immerses you in the story, and the plot and characters it did well it did really well. That's my two cents anyway.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think the problem with FMA is that the movie continued the story after it was at a satisfying ending, undoing a lot of the sacrifice that Ed and Al had to make for their bittersweet ending. If it had taken place during the events of the series and not after, I think I'd think more fondly of FMA.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Interesting, I always saw the ending of the series as purposfully open-ended, with the events that happen during the movie being the implied future (or at least, a very real possibility). Still, the movie and the ending of the series are definitely the weakest points of the original series, the bulk of the rest of the series just outweights them for me. I just wish back when FMA was made the first time the anime crew at least had the notes for the upcoming plot in the manga to use, because then it would have been abso-freaking-lutely amazing all the way through.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I prefer Brotherhood, partially because the humor works better, but I also feel like it fleshed out the other characters besides Ed/Al better (the ones like Winry, Roy, their father, etc that actually matter to the story). Also, the fights are much better, in my opinion, though obviously not the focus of the series.

If you have time for both, watch both. If you want one, I prefer Brotherhood as well.

Bones

Bones

I want to watch Gunsmith Cats again, but ADV made the dvds. :fu:
covar, if i get the DVDs I will find a way to get you a copy of it.

Bones

Bones

covar, if i get the DVDs I will find a way to get you a copy of it.
found it today! let me know if there is a good way to share it with you covar!

Hylian

Hylian

I just finished watching Scryed and I rather enjoyed it. The characters didn't develop quite as much as I usually prefer but they still changed a little bit over the course of the show.The bets part of the show would have to be the story. I really enjoyed the story and for the most part it went along at a nice pace at until the end. The main plot ended at episode 24 and the next two episodes while not bad kinda dragged the ending down a bit by dragging it on for too long without adding enough to justify them. The fight scenes were pretty decent even if they were filed with cheesy one liners throughout them. But overall I enjoyed the show and would fairly easily recommend it to someone.

Covar

Covar

found it today! let me know if there is a good way to share it with you covar!
I actually recently obtained a copy of the series. I appreciate it, but I don't think it's necessary anymore.

Bones

Bones

obtained huh?

well thats cool, just trying to do a favor one fan to another.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

you wouldn't believe how many dicks he needed to suck in a lone back alley

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

like, if you heard how much, you'd be all "suuuuuuuugoi~!!!!!! desudesudesudesudesudesu!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!1!!!!!!"

BananaHands

BananaHands

Aw yeah, at Bones suggestion I'm watching Gurren Lagann.

Seems the right amount of ridiculous so far.

BananaHands

BananaHands

This show is an anime brofest, that's for sure.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I enjoyed the hell out of GL. Lots of unexpected plot points, too, as it gets pretty crazy about halfway through.

Bones

Bones

heh hopefully I will see bananahands on vent later tonight after i get back from the movies, and he can tell me more about how far he is gotten, assuming he is bored like last night.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Bones

There are literally five people on here.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So Oh! My Goddess. I've been following this in all its forms for over a decade, it, along with Tenchi, are the shows that pulled me into anime/manga. The newest manga of OMG just blew my fucking mind into a million pieces. Maximum fucking trolling.

The kiss Belldandy and Keiichi shared super early in the series (we're talking single, maybe double digit issues and they're past 280 now on monthly-ish releases) sealed Keiichi's sexual desire in order to make the contract work. Now emotionally, yeah, he can still love, but this means 20 fucking years of no major romantic development is because of this seal being broken by Hild while the characters are in the Underworld. The entire time this relationship has been "pure" is because of this seal. All that non-development.

@Li3n

@Li3n

So Oh! My Goddess. I've been following this in all its forms for over a decade, it, along with Tenchi, are the shows that pulled me into anime/manga. The newest manga of OMG just blew my fucking mind into a million pieces. Maximum fucking trolling.

The kiss Belldandy and Keiichi shared super early in the series (we're talking single, maybe double digit issues and they're past 280 now on monthly-ish releases) sealed Keiichi's sexual desire in order to make the contract work. Now emotionally, yeah, he can still love, but this means 20 fucking years of no major romantic development is because of this seal being broken by Hild while the characters are in the Underworld. The entire time this relationship has been "pure" is because of this seal. All that non-development.
That... that's beautiful... and i thought true trollmanship was dead...

*sheds single tear

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Not since Metal Gear Solid 2 have I seen such trollmanship. I am amazed.

Bones

Bones

I started watching Noir, it seems very art film so far(only on episode 3), it is also extremely hard for me with my ADD to pay attention to. I need suggestions from YOU(the halforums anime crowd) on what to buy next after I finish the current show. I will post a link to my collection later when I am home and can get said link.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Noir gets better once it gets a plot.

-Madlax
-El Cazador de la Bruja

LordRendar

LordRendar

New rule of thumb for me in anime.If the protagonist,in the first episode,in the first scene,is gonna be woken up by his childhood friend,it is trash.

That "woken-up-by-childhood-friend-who-is-secretly-in-love-with-him" scene was so freaking overused in the last couple of years.

SeraRelm

Get Darker Than Black (if not suggested yet)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

From what I'm told, DTB season 1 is great, and season 2 shouldn't exist. I keep forgetting to check it out.

SeraRelm

2 isn't bad. It brings us Hazuki Mina... who is fucking hot.

Like seriously.

Bones

Bones

Get Darker Than Black (if not suggested yet)
awesome gif
Noir gets better once it gets a plot.

-Madlax
-El Cazador de la Bruja
dtb looked good, added to the list, I own the 1st half of la bruja, and want madlax!

FnordBear

FnordBear

Since unemployment has cursed me with free time here is my rundown of what I have watched the last few months. (Spoilersish)

High School of the Dead: I went in to this knowning nothing of what it was. I just saw the Netflix description and hit play. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that even though it starts out like a typical "High School" anime most of the negative tropes with that are tossed out the window immediately. From this point it turns in to a fairly well done zombie apocalypse story.

Corpse Princess: Again went in to it not knowing a thing about it. Fairly enjoyable if a bit formulaic. The "twist" ending was actually a fair twist. I only had access to the dub so all I can say is some of the dialog is -very- repetitive. A good example being for the first half of the series every time a fight happens (virtually every episode) we get a few lines of dialog reminding us what the monsters are and what the protagonist is.

Cannan: This was one I looked up a bit first. Since it is a short series (12 eps) I tend to research those in case there is other media it draws on. This series is actually the squeal to a Japanese only release Wii game. That said you don't need to have played it and the story is strong on it's own. It is your fairly typical girl assassin anime. It does stand out though by have moderately clever explanations for the special powers of the protagonist as well as a good story behind the animosity between the pro and antagonist. All that said though the cover art and the story synopis are a bit misleading, the titular character Canaan is really more of the secondary character. Her journalist friend really winds up being the main character and serves as the vehicle to progress the story. While Canaan is an interesting character she remains someone two dimensional. A good view for only 12 eps.

Strike Witches: Wow. I don't know where to start with this. This is one of those series I am not sure why it is on Netflix. I honestly felt a little dirty after watching it. It's basically lolita witches who attach little airplanes to their legs and fight aliens. There is a story arc but no real growth in the characters. Avoid....unless lolicon is your thing... *inches away from that hot potato*

Elfen Lied: This is another "wow". I am not sure if it is just something lost in the translation or a fundamental flaw with the source material. It just seems this anime doesn't know what kind of story it is trying to be. At it's root it could be a strong sci-fi story with some nice gore/horror thrown in. However that gets off put with the ecchi humor, slice of life teenage story, and the gratuitous underage nudity. Now all that aside....I kinda liked this. It was very visceral, like it didn't pull punches. It was as if to say "this is nasty business, people are perverts, and bad shit happens." A good story, told somewhat haphazardly but in it's weird way it works.

Desert Punk: Allow me this one. I -loved- this anime. It's campy, ecchi, full of heart, lots of good action, endearing characters, and a good story. This one starts off slow, your typical badass gets a cute side-kick anime. From there it becomes the typical enemy of the week story acting as a vehicle to drive the overall plot that is slowly revealed in slices. Near the end quarter of the series it has a genuine and unexpected twist (I will not spoil this one) that changes the overall light-hearted if serious tone of the story. This one is highly recommended. ( <3 Rainspider )

Dance in the Vampire Bund: Ok....this is one that I did research on after the first episode because I couldn't believe what I saw. This is basically lolicon vampire anime. Apparently there was a big stink about this anime because it was going to be heavily censored but got around it by the fact the character depicted are well over the age of consent. I only recommend this one if lolicon is your thing and you like otherwise half-decent vampire stories. Else avoid...I wish I had.

Le Chevalier D'Eon: This is an honest-to-goodness anime for grownups. No teen/tween age characters. Little humor. And it is set during a rather accurately depicted France in the years leading up to the revolution. It pretty much uses historical drama as a vehicle to drive an occult horror story. Though the term is never used, the main character is inhabited by the revenant of his sister and when confronted by the practitioners of black magic responsible for her death is possessed by her spirit until the foe is slain. A very strong story, good animation done in "realistic" style, and a very well written arc.

Ok I don't feel like typing anymore.

Bones

Bones

haha I own Strike witches, Elfen lied, and desert punk. The rest of the ones worth watching are added to my list.

this is basically my collection give or take a few titles.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Since unemployment has cursed me with free time here is my rundown of what I have watched the last few months. (Spoilersish)

High School of the Dead: I went in to this knowning nothing of what it was. I just saw the Netflix description and hit play. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that even though it starts out like a typical "High School" anime most of the negative tropes with that are tossed out the window immediately. From this point it turns in to a fairly well done zombie apocalypse story.
The problem with this series is that it only has one season so far, but the manga goes a bit further and it's currently on hiatus for unknown reasons. It wouldn't have been dropped, as it was highly popular, but no one is really sure why it hasn't continued for months.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I'm going strictly on the anime, yeah it does leave off mostly on a cliffhanger, however that to me is pretty par for the course with zombiegeddeon stories. I would definitely not turn my nose up at a season 2.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm going strictly on the anime, yeah it does leave off mostly on a cliffhanger, however that to me is pretty par for the course with zombiegeddeon stories. I would definitely not turn my nose up at a season 2.
If it happens, it going to be a year or two. Like I said, it's been on Hiatus for about 15 straight months now. No one really knows why.

Wahad

Wahad

Today I watched all nine current episodes of Jormungand. It's pretty good! Reminds me a bit of Black Lagoon, but slightly more lighthearted. For those who like that series, give it a whirl. It's pretty good. Three more episodes incoming, and then another season of 12 for the fall, so it doesn't take up too much time if you're worried about that kinda thing.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Now I must watch all of Black Lagoon again.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

you should just watch Revy speaking engrish on repeat for forever

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Now I've lost it

FnordBear

FnordBear

Another of my microreviews.

Today I finished the series "Birdy the Mighty: Decode". As per my usual MO I did no research on the series beyond the Netflix synopsis and looking at the cover art. What I found was a fairly interesting story that while having a young protagonist was geared at an older audience dealing with themes such as terrorism, self-sacrifice, and the conflict of duty vs. personal point of view. The action and animation are well done, the aliens when depicted are generally anthropomorphic animals but done well (as in not just dog/cat ears on a person), and none of the characters are overly cute or annoying.

My real criticism is that it is following the trend of a lot of animes lately in that it has what I call a "non ending". Essentially there are four storylines presented. Two are resolved, two are not. My other complaint is there is very little character growth. The male protagonist, while a likable person at the start, has no real character development through the series. He is mostly the same in the final episode as he is in the first. The titular character Birdy, has less development and more backstory as the series progresses. In the end it comes off as if they expected a third season that never materialized.

It is worth a watch for the good animation, the clever sci-fi plot, and the genuine pieces of humor throughout. Just don't get your hopes up on a conclusion.

Next up: Mushi-Shi (When I finish the series)

LittleSin

LittleSin

My husband has forced me into starting Ruroni Kenshin (Samurai X). He has been saying it was an anime I would love but I have been rather stubborn about not watching it.

...I hate it when he's right. I'm actually enjoying it, even if the English dub is not all that great.

Bones

Bones

oh man, the english dub of kenshin is classy, it some of the best work from the mid 90's!

LittleSin

LittleSin

It's mediablasters!

Holy shit! No wonder it goes between being great to being "WTF?"

Bones

Bones

fair warning, don't watch season 3 unless you are a masochist

LittleSin

LittleSin

Steve says the movies are HEARTBREAKING.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I have only seen bits and pieces of Kenshin and have been told how the movies end and confirmed via wiki.

You need to get yourself a box of tissue and a straight razor.

That's all I am saying.

Wahad

Wahad

I never got into Kenshin, because the dude's "OroooooooOOOooOOoo'' got on my nerves so much.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I never got in to it because the series is so long. I very rarely can see through a series that is more than 26ish episodes. They tend to meander, loose focus, and be full of filler. In fact I actively avoid any anime that can be said to have a "filler arc". Notable exceptions being both Full Metal Alchemist series and the various Gundams. Those keep/kept my attention.

Things Bear won't watch

Dragon Ball(Anything): Don't like the art/animation. Dislike the pacing. Dislike pretty much everything else.
Naruto: Too long. Filler arcs. Not a fan of the humor or setting.
Inuyasha: Inuyasha! Kagome! Inuyasha! Kagome! Inuyasha! Kagome! Inuyasha! Kagome! Inuyasha! Kagome! Inuyasha! Kagome! Inuyasha! Kagome!
Bleach: See Naruto.
D Gray Man: Gave this one an honest try but it couldn't keep my attention. Also wikied it and found out it didn't get a proper ending.
Kenshin: Too long. I know how it ends and don't feel like having a cry fest.
Yu Yu Hakasho: Don't like the art style. Too long.

I generally wont watch anything that can be described as yaoi, yuri, or lolicon.

Things Bear hasn't watched lately but recommends:

Vision of Escaflone
Trigun
Hellsing
Wolf's Rain
Record of the Lodoss War
Rune Soldier Louie
Outlaw Star

Anything from Studio Ghibli (Yes even Grave of the Fireflies)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So you basically won't watch any shonen anime is what your saying. That basically any action anime made for teenagers.

You might try looking up Seinen anime shows. They tend to be stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Battle Royale, and the like. They tend to have shorter runs and more concrete, well formed stories.

FnordBear

FnordBear

I should mention I loved Ghost in the Shell SAC. That was pretty awesome and happy-bear making. I am not 100% consistent though. I like some really odd things like Excel Saga, Gantz, Nadia, and a few other things it would sound like I wouldn't like. I am pretty open to giving anything a couple episode try.

But yeah you are correct, I do love a good story and character development. Some action, some adventure, a good story, a little fan service, and at least one endearing character and I will watch it.

Just don't have an "annoying, young cute, character that causes trouble and never suffers consequence" as a main character and I will hate you even less. Paiway from Vandred is a good example of a character that if I was inserted in to the universe I would murder with no remorse.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I think everyone knows about my love of Dragon Ball Z.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

You love Dragon Ball Z?!

FnordBear

FnordBear

Shun! Shun the DBZlover! Shuuuuuuuun!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

there's no shunning here

LittleSin

LittleSin

I will not be shunned!

It's a good show, really. :(

Also, I started reading it manga....and am enjoying just how much more bad ass Goku is in it.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I'm sorry... I just can't. I know that you and Shego are big on it, and your reasoning is sound, but I just... can't bring myself to watch it. Sorry...

FnordBear

FnordBear

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Charon you could always watch Kai, though you miss out on anything past the Cell Saga (Kai ends there).

Also, I was, at one point a couple years back, caught up on Bleach (anime). I looked up the arcs and skipped the filler ones, which means I missed basically zero in terms of overall story (skipping the Bount arc, for example). I didn't do the same with Naruto/Shippuden when I was watching that, though, as I found the action scenes to be much better. I do want to watch YuYu Hakusho, though, one of these days.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

YYH was fun if you're into shonen fighting stories.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've heard Kuwabara is one of the better shonen characters, too.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Kuwabara was pretty cool. He's basically what a yanki would be if they had super powers.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Has anyone ever watched Darker than Black? I was looking through some screen caps/fan art and read the synopsis for it earlier today. I think it sounds interesting. But I have learned not to trust how good the single paragraph summary makes a series sound.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

It's good.

Bones

Bones

it is on my to buy list for mid-july after i catch up with my current pile

drifter

drifter

Overrated in my opinion, but well done and worth watching.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Good to hear it's worth watching. Thanks!

Necronic

Necronic

Darker than Black is one of my favorites tbqh. It's a very strange one, and I can see why people wouldn't like it (or find it over-rated) but it has some great stuff. I think I just liked it because at times it reminds me of Silent Hill.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I just watched the first episode. I get the feeling it's going to suck me in like Death Note did.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

For those who follow it, DBZ Abridged has parts 1 and 2 (of 3) for Episode 30 up, which is the final battle of the Freiza saga. They're some of the best TFS has done to date, totally worth the watch. If you haven't seen any of DBZA, you're really missing out.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

For those who follow it, DBZ Abridged has parts 1 and 2 (of 3) for Episode 30 up, which is the final battle of the Freiza saga. They're some of the best TFS has done to date, totally worth the watch. If you haven't seen any of DBZA, you're really missing out.
It was hilarious seeing Goku go Super Saiyan, get serious, and STILL fuck up all his lines.

Also, Guru getting SLAUGHTERED by his own people? Amazing.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Alrighty, I just finished Mushishi.

This is easily one series I have enjoyed every episode of. While there is no overall story arc, the episodic nature of the show worked for it. The series is set during an unidentified postindustrial era of Japan. Ginko, a sort of spiritual troubleshooter called a Mushi Master, wanders the countryside assisting people with their problems with spirit creatures called funnily enough "mushi". The character of Ginko is the only constant through the series, he is actually likable and tends to have no moral grey areas. If someone is in need, he helps them.

The animation was of good quality with some rather beautiful set pieces. Use of obvious CGI was very limited which is refreshing in a newer series. Being episodic some dialog is repetitive (explaining what his profession is in most episodes) however, this works as the episodic nature lends to Ginko's role as a wanderer. I will say that the show is likely not for everyone. There is little to no action and each episode is moved forward strictly by character interaction.

I give it four out of four bearpaws.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I wish anime in general would get better CGI. As it's used currently it stands out waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much from the rest of the animation and always distracts me. Especially when they CGI characters and use those weird sort-of-almost cel-shaded textures.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Working my way through Nodame Cantabile 'cause I can't sleep. It's hilarious.

drifter

drifter

Only watched the first season, but I really enjoyed it. Fun little rom-com.

fade

fade

FnordBear that's a shame. I wasn't a huge fan of DB, but it was entertaining. Naruto is worth its popularity. I think, unfortunately, Naruto fell victim to the king of the hill game (it's popular therefore it must be bad). There is some beautiful filmmaking in there, and some nice scoring. Especially in the in the bridge builder arc, and again in the Pain arc. The anime surpasses the manga easily. Oh, and One Piece. If you don't at least watch the subs up to the end of the Alabasta arc, you're doing yourself a disservice. The I Will Surpass You episode alone is worth at least 20 mediocre Hollywood films.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Fade. Honestly I have tried every single anime you have mentioned, both subbed and unsubbed versions. I just couldn't get in to them. Naruto specifically, I truly wanted to like it. My BFF loves all things Naruto and I wanted something I could hang out and watch with him. I just found myself not able to pay attention to it or get in to any of the characters.

Not saying any of these are bad. They are just not to the taste of my finicky anime pallet. I am positive I like some stuff that most would consider doodoocacafeces.

Bones

Bones

so I found Jubei-chan: Legend of the lovely eye-patch and Jubei-chan 2: Counterattack of the Siberian Yagyu. I have only finished season one so far due to the fact I have been getting hammered at work and tomorrow is my first day off in two weeks! However it is an extremely funny show that in line with many animes that make jokes from Japanese culture, the dubbing team rewrote many of the jokes to appeal to American watchers. Many scoff at this, but I find this kind of work much better than trying to explain a joke that wont make any sense to an American. The show is based around Jiyu Nanohana, a typical 8th grader, The joke is that the real Jubei asked his retainer to find a successor with a boom boom body 300 years ago, said retainer happens across Jiyu in present day. Part of the joke is that Jiyu is called Jubei by her father. The show revolves around Jiyu being reluctantly pushed into wearing the lovely eyepatch of legend that cause her to transform into Jubei the second, a master swords-woman, and fight swordsmen from a rival school who have held a grudge for these long 300 years. needless to say HIJINKS ENSUE!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Alrighty, I just finished Mushishi.
I have been trying to look into some new anime (new to me at least) and came across that title. I could not figure out where I had seen the name before. It was YOU!

In other news, I finished the first Darker than Black series. It was good. Not the best thing I've watched, but not terrible either. It's interesting enough to make me want to see more, so I think I'll look into the sequel. I already saw a couple of the episodes because Hulu has the two mixed in together.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Right now I am currently feeling dirty because I started watching "Girls Bravo" ... ...... ......... I yeah.... At least it has a sense of humor and doesn't take itself seriously unlike some other quasi-lolicon animes.

drifter

drifter

*Looks up Girls Bravo*

Well, at least it's not Eiken.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Just started watching Hellsing Ultimate.
I like it a lot.
Every episode is 40 minutes long,so they get enough time to tell a story and the fightscenes are beautiful.
But what is up with the mouths of everyone? It's like everyony got twice the normal amount of teeth.Not just the Vampires,humans too. :/

FnordBear

FnordBear

It's an art style thing. The manga is the same way.

Random trivia, the characters in Hellsing began their life in the creators hentai comics.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Dear Japanese, you using German words is as annoying and embarassing as a foreigner adding "-desu" at the end of his scentences.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Dear Japanese, you using German words is as annoying and embarassing as a foreigner adding "-desu" at the end of his scentences.
Japan's had a pretty awesome relationship with Germany. In fact, they based their entire modern government system on Germany's. It's why they have a Diet.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Still dosnt make it sound any better xD I know,things sound cooler if you say it in german *wink*, but sometimes its just kringeworthy.Or when they get that obligatory german femal exchange student,her name is Therese von Weißblütenkreuz or something in that direction.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Japan is really bad at using foreign things. My favorite bits in Black Lagoon involve Revy speaking English.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Unless you are watching the english dub.But even there the english is terrible.
And stop using Bumbles avatar.You are confusing me.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'm not using Bumble's avatar. If you look at Bumble, he's using a completely different avatar.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Oh well,dosnt really matter anyway.Arent we all just JCM's alts?

Back to anime.
Any good ones this season? The ones I found were either Harem/Ecci-Fanservice or some BL stuff.

Bones

Bones

I have a pile of Ghibli films, followed by random series I decided to buy. Ugh I never have the energy to sit and watch stuff properly anymore.

Bones

Bones

found some new stuff at the used dvd store tonight, any thoughts?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't know much about it, but I don't think I've ever heard anything good about Garzey's Wing.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Whats the name of the Anime in the middle?
And I love You're Under Arrest,it is more of a cop-soap then an action series,but still very good.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

looks like the middle one says Burn Up.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Oh man1 Garzeys Wing!

Spoony and Sage did a review of that...and it was great. The review. Not the movie.

Here if you want to check it out.

Bones

Bones

yeah the middle is burn-up, my bad, i didnt look close at the picture.

glad to know I made some good blind picks, my friends are all huge spoony fans and had a good laugh when I came back with it!

drifter

drifter

FnordBear

FnordBear

Might be old news but the Iron Man and Wolverine animes are on crackle.com for legit free streaming. Watching on my PS3 now.

chris

chris

I don't know much about it, but I don't think I've ever heard anything good about Garzey's Wing.
And he paid 12.99 for it.

Bones

Bones

And he paid 12.99 for it.
I just finished watching it, pretty sure it is considered inhuman torture by the Geneva convention!

LordRendar

LordRendar

:fu:

but he does know how to jodl.colour me impressed.[DOUBLEPOST=1343043563][/DOUBLEPOST]Holy shit. its not his only song!!!

But his German is really good here.

Bones

Bones

so I picked up a membership to the discount club on therightstuf.com. turns out it isn't useful on most new titles >_>

LordRendar

LordRendar

Since I dont want to open a new thread just for this,im just gonna post it here.
Gintama is one of the few Mangas that really knows how to juggle drama,comedy and action
and in my opinion one of the last true "Shonen" mangas.

chris

chris

Since I dont want to open a new thread just for this,im just gonna post it here.
Gintama is one of the few Mangas that really knows how to juggle drama,comedy and action
and in my opinion one of the last true "Shonen" mangas.
Exacly my thoughts. Gintama is one of the two series i reading right know. The other one is vinland saga. What's your thoughts on the gintama anime ?

LordRendar

LordRendar

Havn't watched the new season, but the previous seasons followed the manga quite closely.
And the voiceactors are spot-on.

LordRendar

LordRendar

chris
know any good anime stores in Hamburg?

Bones

Bones

so I finally started watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica, on blu-ray, just the first two episodes, since I dont own parts 2 and 3 to see the rest. All I keep thinking is how well written the dub script is, and how beautiful the show is. I plan to watch episodes 3 and 4 tonight after work and then look into owning the next set. Take my time and savor the show.

what really surprised me is the genuine feel to madoka's family. I also enjoyed the odd sense of humor that pervades the series. I feel like there is a real deconstruction of magical girls, something truly dark simmering below the surface, and that madoka is going to factor in someway into it.

Jay

Jay

So I have a certain friend who was a big fan of Love Hina.... he wants to watch more shows like Love Hina. What would you recommend my friend?

LordRendar

LordRendar

Ai Yori Aoshi and maybe Ichigo 100%. (writing this with the desktop input pannel cuz keyboard is broken,its aaaaaannoying)

chris

chris

chris
know any good anime stores in Hamburg?
I don't know any speciality shops. Sadly, the only places i can think of with a large quantity of Anime is Saturn and Media Markt. There is Hummel Comics, but this is mostly a comic shop and i don't remember seeing any anime there. If you search for some out of print comics or manga it's the right place. With a little footwork you can find in the smaller comic shops and science fiction and fantasy stores around the university and in the city some anime.

But to be honest, i order most of my stuff online and import from the UK.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

so I finally started watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica, on blu-ray, just the first two episodes, since I dont own parts 2 and 3 to see the rest. All I keep thinking is how well written the dub script is, and how beautiful the show is. I plan to watch episodes 3 and 4 tonight after work and then look into owning the next set. Take my time and savor the show.

what really surprised me is the genuine feel to madoka's family. I also enjoyed the odd sense of humor that pervades the series. I feel like there is a real deconstruction of magical girls, something truly dark simmering below the surface, and that madoka is going to factor in someway into it.
You hadn't seen episode 3 yet?

Just you wait, my friend. Just you wait.

Bones

Bones

saw it last night, one word for you going forward, DARK!

also I need to order parts 2 and 3 so I can see the rest!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

A friend of mine told me I should watch High School of the Dead. So Mr. Wasabi and I decided to check it out since it was on Netflix. We watched the first episode. I want my 24 minutes back.

LordRendar

LordRendar

It really is chockfull of fanservice,but the story does get better.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

A friend of mine told me I should watch High School of the Dead. So Mr. Wasabi and I decided to check it out since it was on Netflix. We watched the first episode. I want my 24 minutes back.
High School of the Dead's anime is far too full of cheesecake and sex for me... even though I love the manga, I'd still say it's full of cheesecake.

Bones

Bones

I am still working through steel angel kurumi, really an awesome show. I like the idea of high technology and onymu mysticism combining to make a super battle maid. and her undying love for the 15 year old brother of the mystic who accidentally woke her up. I am on the OVA's and they are super adorable and funny.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

High School of the Dead's anime is far too full of cheesecake and sex for me... even though I love the manga, I'd still say it's full of cheesecake.
It is definitely full of cheesecake. I wasn't impressed, but then I thought about the person who suggested it and realized T&A is just up his alley as far as entertainment.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's not BAD. It definitely goes places that other series haven't (the thing with the creepy teacher, the bus, and his little society that controls with sex), but the cheesecake factor is just SO HIGH.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

It's not my cup of tea. My husband, on the other hand, is up to episode 5 or 6. lol

Bones

Bones

Just finished Plastic Little, what a great 45 minute OVA. Well drawn, with a short but sweet story about doing whats right despite the consequences and being true to ones heart. A crew of rare animal hunters in a sci-fi setting help the daughter of a brilliant scientist who was murdered for his research on making a super weapon, hijinks ensue, heartwarming hijinks. :sohappy:

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Last Exile. I've only watched a few episodes. I'm still not sure if I like it, but I want to find out more of the story.

Bones

Bones

last exile is awesome, don't stop! its probably one of the prettiest TV series anime you will ever see.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My husband also said it was beautifully done. The story hasn't quite hooked me yet, but I do plan on watching more of it.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Last Exile was fantastic.

Hylian

Hylian

Finally got around to finishing up Fullmetal Alchemist and I am mad at myself for putting off watching the show for so long. I really want to watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood becuase I heard it is even better but I know the first half covers the same story for the most part so I am trying to hold off since I have a ton of other series I can watch in the mean time.

Wahad

Wahad

Finally got around to finishing up Fullmetal Alchemist and I am mad at myself for putting off watching the show for so long. I really want to watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood becuase I heard it is even better but I know the first half covers the same story for the most part so I am trying to hold off since I have a ton of other series I can watch in the mean time.
Don't wait. Watch it. Don't skip any episodes either, even if you think you've seen them before. If the original anime is a horse, Brotherhood is a racing horse of the purest lineage that wins every race it participates in and the original is a crippled old horse just about headed to the slaughterhouse. I may be biased, as FMA is one of my favorite manga series and Brotherhood is my one of my favorite anime, but there's nobody I know who watches any anime at all who does not feel that Brotherhood is a fucking amazing work.

Bones

Bones

I just found an exeedingly rare anime called Kimagure Orange Road. I found both the TV series and the OVA/Movie boxset for $240. any thoughts on what I am getting myself into?

drifter

drifter

Never watched it, but I remember it was huge back in the day. If you end up liking it, you may want to check out Maison Ikkoku. Fanboys used to lose their shit arguing over which was better.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I just found an exeedingly rare anime called Kimagure Orange Road. I found both the TV series and the OVA/Movie boxset for $240. any thoughts on what I am getting myself into?
It is THE classic "boy falls in love with girl at first sight" story,but the boy and his family are psychics (dosnt affect the story too much,used mostly for comedy).I recommend watching it.

Bones

Bones

Never watched it, but I remember it was huge back in the day. If you end up liking it, you may want to check out Maison Ikkoku. Fanboys used to lose their shit arguing over which was better.
yeah but did you see how much that shit is, i mean FARK!

drifter

drifter

Well, I meant watch, not necessarily buy >.>[DOUBLEPOST=1346125947][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh hey, the entire series is currently available from Netflix.

Bones

Bones

oh cool, I should watch it there then. haha if its good maybe I will throw my money at owning it.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

You must watch it! FMA:B is fantastic![DOUBLEPOST=1346305439][/DOUBLEPOST]
Last Exile was fantastic.
I did really like it quite a bit. Took me a while to get into it, but it was very good.

Necronic

Necronic

I don't even care. I like it because you kill zombies and get a bunch of gratuitous panty shots. It's good stuff.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Now for me that's not the problem. The problem for me is is that this is the most ideal apocalypse EVER.

The male lead is in an apocalypse with a girl HE likes who also likes him back...and they never get it on for bull-shit Shonen reasons. If these were adult characters I would buy it, but these are teenagers. Teenagers are dumb and irresponsible. And considering that death is LITERALLY around the corner , this is the time to be getting it on as much as possible. Or at least tell each other how they feel before they're eaten by the zombie out-break. Really I just don't believe any of the characters, & this is coming from a guy who just watched the entire first season of Digimon and finds the science of magical shape-changing monsters made from discarded computer data completely plausible.

LordRendar

LordRendar

As adult characters they would be banging even more so.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

As adult characters they would be banging even more so.
Actually your right. And considering they would be the last humans, they might WANT to get pregnant. Hell they gotta repopulate the Earth and what not so who gives a crap about safe-sex? Shoot zombies first, then bone! The world rests in your sex-drive.

Now that would be a much more believable than High School of the Dead. It would probably be straight up porn, but it'd sure as hell be more believable.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is about Japanese values, I think. They show the people on the "orgy bus" as completely unsympathetic, not just for their wanton sexual habits, but for only thinking of themselves and letting a madman have control if it means they can keep acting out. This is why the ultra-national group (the people who own and control the mansion) are considered sympathetic: They may be authoritarian and demanding, but at least they are genuinely acting for the benefit of the people they are helping and the entire area would be overrun if they weren't in control.

It's also probably so the group dynamics wouldn't have to change. Right now it's a team that works together, but the second there is an official couple, the dynamics change and you can't always count on those two in every situation.

Regardless, it really doesn't matter in the long run: Unless the author/artist comes back to the series (it's been over a year since he did an issue and he stopped right after they found another kid's mother), there won't be a second season.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Now this may sound like I'm talking with rose-tinted nostalgia goggles on but....Digimon season one is one of the best written Shonen cartoons from the nineties. It had relatable characters, a plot that didn't revolve around being the best at somethis ng, and talked about a bunch of mature concepts like adoption, divorce, and grief. It's weird how good this show is considering it's basically a toy commercial.

Also, has anyone here seen Tatami Galaxy? Brilliant character designs, trippy artwork, and a plot that will make you question EVERYTHING! It is probably the greatest Japanese Cartoon to come out in this decade.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Now this may sound like I'm talking with rose-tinted nostalgia goggles on but....Digimon season one is one of the best written Shonen cartoons from the nineties. It had relatable characters, a plot that didn't revolve around being the best at somethis ng, and talked about a bunch of mature concepts like adoption, divorce, and grief. It's weird how good this show is considering it's basically a toy commercial.
I used to love watching Digimon! I'd watch it almost every morning when I'd get home from work. I also watched Card Captor Sakura in the afternoon before I went to bed. Ahh late night shift there is nothing like you in all the world.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We've missed at LEAST one Digimon series (X-Cross, I think) and I don't think anyone is selling it. Kinda wish they would, otherwise I'll have to... find it.

Bones

Bones

I used to love watching Digimon! I'd watch it almost every morning when I'd get home from work. I also watched Card Captor Sakura in the afternoon before I went to bed. Ahh late night shift there is nothing like you in all the world.
first season of digimon is coming out on dvd this fall. cardcaptor sakura, I'd kill many oompa loompas for a rerelease with english dub.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I might have to get it with the excuse of introducing my son to it. :)

LordRendar

LordRendar

Anyone watching Hyouka?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

We've missed at LEAST one Digimon series (X-Cross, I think) and I don't think anyone is selling it. Kinda wish they would, otherwise I'll have to... find it.
Yeah Xros and the original manga are the only things that haven't been imported. Xros wars is all-right in my opinion(thought I did admit to raging when I heard of it) , but I feel the Digixrosing is a bit confusing at times. I mean, is there an actual limit to a digixros? Just weird is all.

first season of digimon is coming out on dvd this fall. cardcaptor sakura, I'd kill many oompa loompas for a rerelease with english dub.
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! DIGIMON-DIGITAL MONSTERS DIGIMON ARE THE CHAMPIONS! Card captor Sakura I could go either way. Liked the show and all, but I wasn't a mega fan.

Bones

Bones

So with my final semester in full swing I have been slowly eating down my to watch pile when I need to blow off some steam, I have begun to watch Project S(Sammy) which is the old 90's era magical girl anime in the pseudo-tenchi universe. I am only a few episodes in but it seems to be shaping up to be a very cute anime. I also finally re-watched the last of my Ghibli films that I picked up over the summer, It was Spirited Away, which is just as strange and awe inspiring as I remembered. I am also working through the first season of K-ON! and have begun watching a show called Freezing, which is kind of adorable in that the main girl seems to be a major tsundere archtype, but its pretty good. I will post a picture of my pile and you guys can suggest what I subject myself to next.

Necronic

Necronic

I finally sat down and watched through the entirety of Fullmetal Alchemist, and to be honest i was pretty dissapointed. Seriously underwhelming anime. I haven't heard many people say that so I think it's just something particular to me. Dunno, I would take Seven of FMA any day of the week.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

I finally sat down and watched through the entirety of Fullmetal Alchemist, and to be honest i was pretty dissapointed. Seriously underwhelming anime. I haven't heard many people say that so I think it's just something particular to me. Dunno, I would take Seven of FMA any day of the week.
Which one did you watch? And I don't understand your last sentence at all, Seven? Of what?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I can't watch FMA. It creeps me out too much.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Watched the first episode of Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom based on a list from a recommendation site (If you like this anime, then you'll like...). I'm going to have to watch a few more before I decide if I like it or not, but it looks like I probably will.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Anybody remember Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt? Love that show. I also love how one of the character's design is kind-of ripping off GIR from Invader Zim and Jhonen Vasquez still said that this show is one of the best things to come out of Japan in years.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It's not ripping off Gir... it's a tribute to him. *chuckles*

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah I know, its why I said "kind-of". But what I find funny is that a lot of people can't tell that its a tribute and think it is a straight up unapologetic rip-off. Personally I think its cos American society is so used to rip-offs that they can't tell when they see a genuine tribute any-more. Plus unlike GIR Chuck could turn into-

And that is pretty cool.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

We're actually watching One Piece from the beginning. /facepalm
Not that's it's necessarily bad, but it is goofy.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

We're actually watching One Piece from the beginning. /facepalm
Not that's it's necessarily bad, but it is goofy.
Oh it is, but trust me when I say shit can get real at any time in One Piece. As well as incredibly dramatic.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Watched a few shows from this season, Yuru Yuri s2 was hilarious, and Sword Art Online is pretty good. new shows should be starting up in the next couple weeks, so until that I've got some stuff I could rewatch I suppose. Haven't watched Tenchi Muyo! in awhile...

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Yoshimickster We started watching it a few years ago when it was in the Toonami line up (I think). They were already in the Alabasta arc, so we never saw how they got together.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster We started watching it a few years ago when it was in the Toonami line up (I think). They were already in the Alabasta arc, so we never saw how they got together.
Well you gotta start with the beginning, the universe of One Piece is just so engrossing. Devil fruits, and fish-men, and giants, OH MY!

Bones

Bones

I just received doubles of the first 9 volumes of you are under arrest! I am entertaining offers on vols 1-9 as a set, sets of 3, or as singles. simply PM me if you are interested, I also have other things I am willing to sell if anyone is interested. no pressure or anything, I just have extra stuff and if anyone is interested in it I am willing to negotiate a price.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Well you gotta start with the beginning, the universe of One Piece is just so engrossing. Devil fruits, and fish-men, and giants, OH MY!
Mr. 5's booger bombs are gross. I'm also not thrilled with the way his partner, Miss Valentine, laughs all the time. I'm hoping she's defeated soon enough.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Mr. 5's booger bombs are gross. I'm also not thrilled with the way his partner, Miss Valentine, laughs all the time. I'm hoping she's defeated soon enough.
HA! Nez Palm, I love that move. And are you at Whiskey Peak, or Little Garden?

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

HA! Nez Palm, I love that move. And are you at Whiskey Peak, or Little Garden?
Little Garden. Getting toward the end of their time there, I think.
Vivi, Nami, Zorro, and Brogy have all been saved from being made into wax figures. Sanji doesn't know where they are and was having tea in Mr. 3's wax house. Mr. 0 calls just as Sanji is about to leave the wax house. And now that my morning coffee has kicked in, I did see Miss Valentine get defeated last night.
Too sleepy to remember that. LOL

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Sweet! That bit with Sanji is one my favorite Sanji moments.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I love Sanji.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Wait until the Water Seven arc, he get's even cooler!

Bones

Bones

I am really enjoying spice and wolf season 2, they finally went through with having the two main characters falling in love. but I am a bit worried to see where it goes with the final episode title being Wolf(Holo) and the Endless Tears.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am really enjoying spice and wolf season 2, they finally went through with having the two main characters falling in love. but I am a bit worried to see where it goes with the final episode title being Wolf(Holo) and the Endless Tears.
....logically I should be annoyed with learning this spoilish knowledge but-HELL YEAH! KRAFT AND HOLO!

Bones

Bones

I started watching My-Otome, its not bad, kind of cute so far, but waiting for the drama to start, after that is anyone's guess.

Wahad

Wahad

Jormungand has started again! Back with Jormungand: Perfect Order, the setup for the new arc looks promising indeed. For those who missed my last recommendation of the series, it's an action anime following a crazy-ass arms dealer and her troupe of bodyguards as they fight enemies, sell weapons and get up to shenanigans. It's also very reminiscent of Black Lagoon - if you liked that, you'll like this.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

If you like Spice and Wolf, I would seriously recommend you go spoil yourself of the light novels if you have no plans to read them. The show ends on s2 and there's no plans for a 3, and the LN has finished its run so you can get a real ending.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I will! I need to read more light novels, especially the one for "Durarara". Still haven't finished that show for some reason.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I will! I need to read more light novels, especially the one for "Durarara". Still haven't finished that show for some reason.
I'm still waiting for someone to translate the Code Lyoko novels, which deal with events after the original show. Available in 11 languages... but not English for some reason, despite the show being originally produced in both French and English. Who knows if we're going to get the new Live Action/Animated production that is coming out in 2013... I may have to watch the French version with subs somewhere.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Code Lyoko was pretty good. The first season was a tad formulaic but I will admit to enjoying it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Code Lyoko was pretty good. The first season was a tad formulaic but I will admit to enjoying it.
Yeah, but they did address that in later seasons by revealing why they weren't allowed to "return to the past" anymore: doing so actually made ZANA stronger and it was just making things harder for them. Once they couldn't just hit the reset button every episode and the characters actually had to deal with the consequences of their actions, the show was much better for it.

I wish we got more Euro stuff here in the states. Right now, I can only think of one Euro series on TV for kids: Winx Club, which is Italian.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah, but they did address that in later seasons by revealing why they weren't allowed to "return to the past" anymore: doing so actually made ZANA stronger and it was just making things harder for them. Once they couldn't just hit the reset button every episode and the characters actually had to deal with the consequences of their actions, the show was much better for it.

I wish we got more Euro stuff here in the states. Right now, I can only think of one Euro series on TV for kids: Winx Club, which is Italian.
I remember that, yeah! That time-travel equals power thing was a neat twist. And I never got into Winx, is it good?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's definitely a kids show for girls. That's about all you need to know about it. The comics, on the other hand... they are a bit more risque. It's still aimed at teens, but they aren't afraid to go places with it ether.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It's definitely a kids show for girls. That's about all you need to know about it. The comics, on the other hand... they are a bit more risque.
Shit, really? Like what kinda risque?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Shit, really? Like what kinda risque?
It never gets overtly sexual or anything, but it's clear that the girls like and appreciate the advantages of having their bodies age up when they transform or use their powers. They pull crap you wouldn't be able to do on a kids show, to put it mildly.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It never gets overtly sexual or anything, but it's clear that the girls like and appreciate the advantages of having their bodies age up when they transform or use their powers. They pull crap you wouldn't be able to do on a kids show, to put it mildly.
Cool cool, sounds interesting.

Bones

Bones

My-Otome was amazing, the right mix of a lot of different elements and now I want to order the two ovas that come after it, I might have to do so in November. Now I have started Fafner, it is looking like some sort of NGE variant so interested to see where it goes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

One of my favorite Japanese cartoon series of all time:

Its about this nameless college student who is obsessed with gaining the "rose colored college life". And every episode he joins a different club at the beginning of the semester but things go incredibly wrong. And at the end of the episode he goes back in time to the beginning of college. It is one of the most compelling plots from a cartoon I have seen in YEARS!

I might have posted this hear before but I don't care. It is that good.

Hylian

Hylian

I just got done watching Princess Tutu.

Going in I was not sure what to expect from it. Based entirely by the surface it did not seem like a series that would intrigue me but after having it recommended to me and also my seeing several reviews praising it I decided to give it a chance and man am I glad I did. While I can definitely see how it is not a show for everyone I must say that I enjoyed it immensely. The characters developed quite nicely throughout the series and while the series occasionally felt like it was starting to get stuck in a repetitive loop it always did manage to get out of its repetitive loops eventually before they got to annoying and it also it managed to throw a few nice surprises in occasionally. Overall I was highly impressed and while I admitted I can see how it may not be for everyone I still suggest that everyone should at least give the series a try.

Bones

Bones

started watching Tsubasa Chronicles, as I understand it is basically the CLAMP epic adventure through all their IP's, I am two episodes in and it seems pretty amazing.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Still pissed at CLAMP for xxHolic

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Still pissed at CLAMP for xxHolic
Really? I haven't read it in forever but I thought it was okay. Did it end badly?

LordRendar

LordRendar

It has kind of a rushed ending,leaving a couple of plot holes and is very unsatisfying given that the story got very good at the end.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It has kind of a rushed ending,leaving a couple of plot holes and is very unsatisfying given that the story got very good at the end.
Nothing worse than a rushed ending. Ever see "Black Cat"? I had no idea what the hell was going on at the end, way too many things introduced in just 2 episodes.

Hylian

Hylian

I just finished watching Strike Witches Season 1 and overall I would say I enjoyed it. Now granted the plot is barely there and it is a silly plot at that but that being said it just barely manages to string the show along. There wasn't as much character development as I would have preferred but the characters they did have where fairly well balanced and they served the show well enough. As far as fan service goes the show is packed full of it (no one ever seems to wear pants) and there are plenty of breast shots throughout the series. Now that could be a plus or a minus depending on your the person. For me it was neither a bonus nor a detraction it was just there.

Now if this was a series trying to be serious than I could see it as being annoying and distracting but as it stands the show doesn't take itself very seriously and as long as you don't try to over analyze it yourself you will have a fun mindless adventure. The animation was superbly done and was a visual treat throughout the entire show. Bottom line as long as you go in expecting a fun show that doesn't take itself seriously you will probably enjoy it. Although it isn't the best show ever it was definitely a fun adventure and I don't regret the money I spent buying it at all and in fact I am planning on starting season 2 soon and while I am a bit concerned that the plot will wear thin by the end like some other shows I know ( Those Who Hunt Elves, etc) I am still looking forward to it and hopefully I won't end up disappointed.

Bones

Bones

I have season 2 sitting on my too watch pile, I am trying to make progress on tsubasa chronicles first.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Wahad Hells yeah Toriko! I love the manga, and am currently catching up with the cartoon! Plus it has one the best Japanese theme songs- EVER!

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Girls und Panzer.

It's like watching a major traffic collision occur... I mean, in THEORY the show should appeal to me, and it IS enjoyable to watch... but whenever they start TRYING to discuss tactics, I get a tic below my eye.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Is that the really weird one where the middle school girls are guns and one of them really needs to be fired whenever she's near the new teacher?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Is that the really weird one where the middle school girls are guns and one of them really needs to be fired whenever she's near the new teacher?
That's Uppote!, which was funny and then suddenly really awkward when the gungirl that gets off on shooting other gungirls showed up for the first time.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Oh jeez, nichijou is several kinds of amazing.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh jeez, nichijou is several kinds of amazing.
One of my top favorites, and one of the funniest.

Bones

Bones

I cant figure out how it hasnt made it over to the US yet, it seems like a big hit.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

One of my top favorites, and one of the funniest.
The clumsy girl runs along. Guy turns a corner. She runs into him. GIANT EXPLOSION! Nobody notices.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The clumsy girl runs along. Guy turns a corner. She runs into him. GIANT EXPLOSION! Nobody notices.
Don't forget principals suplexing deer.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I'm not there yet.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Anyone watching "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!" ?

Bones

Bones

anime watching will recommence in t-2 days, last 3 finals and then I can get back to being a human slug again.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Anyone watching "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!" ?
It's one of the shows I'm following this season. Hilarious, but I'm a little iffy on the sudden turn of drama in these last few episodes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

One show/manga I've been meaning to watch/read is Soul Eater. Anyone know if its good? I've only seen the first episode and I'm not sure if I want to see more. Looks kind-of gimicky.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

If you like series about people fighting, you could do worse.

LittleSin

LittleSin

One show/manga I've been meaning to watch/read is Soul Eater. Anyone know if its good? I've only seen the first episode and I'm not sure if I want to see more. Looks kind-of gimicky.
I really liked Soul Eater. The art design kept me hooked.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's a shounen, so yeah. Fights, comedy, etc. The difference here is Soul Eater doesn't go on for 200+ episodes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I always find it weird when long running mangas get shows with short runs(for Shonen standards of course). Manga is going 22 volumes apparently, AND has a spin-off! Yet only 51 episodes. Odd.

Gonna read the manga now.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

They do that because the animation companies want to strike while the iron is hot. If they wait for the series to end, there's no guarantee they'll have that huge following.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Nothing's been able to replicate One Piece's success, not even Naruto. I think OP's anime is up to almost 600 or so episodes now? I thought about watching but I just can't fathom getting started on that.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Almost 600, just 21 episodes from now. I recommend watching/reading it though, its a great series, as well as my favorite Shounen series.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Nothing's been able to replicate One Piece's success, not even Naruto. I think OP's anime is up to almost 600 or so episodes now? I thought about watching but I just can't fathom getting started on that.
Dragon Ball was like 520+ if you combined all the series, plus yearly movies. Bleach is getting up there too. Detective Conan has them ALL beat though, with like 600+. It's been on 10 years consecutively.

Bones

Bones

Doremon franchise, that is all

After a brief and unpopular animated series in 1973 by Nippon Television, Doraemon remained fairly exclusive in manga from until 1979 when a newly formed animation studio, Shin-Ei Animation (Now owned by TV Asahi) produced an anime series of Doraemon. This series became incredibly popular, and ended with 1,787 episodes on March 25, 2005.

drifter

drifter

Sazae-san laughs at your Doraemon.

Bones

Bones

holy motha fark, +6500 episodes....

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

And the original manga ended in the freakin' 70s! Yet its still going on!

I also wish Doraemon had an official ending, but what can you do?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Dragon Ball was like 520+ if you combined all the series, plus yearly movies. Bleach is getting up there too. Detective Conan has them ALL beat though, with like 600+. It's been on 10 years consecutively.
In terms of sales OP stomps all over Bleach (apparently it's the best-selling manga of all time). Bleach's manga is also ending sometime soon (the anime's done, I think, at something like 370-400 episodes), whereas OP's mangaka hasn't made statement about ending it (and he still works on Fairy Tail on top of it). Naruto's pretty close too, I think, if you add Naruto and Shippuden together (dunno if Shippuden is still airing). Can't argue against Conan, I'd forgotten how long it's been around.

Edit: The original point I was making was One Piece is super-popular in Japan and everywhere else they sell it. It's really amazing that it's done so well for basically its entire run.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You know what Oda called the middle of One Piece? Thriller Bark. Volume 50. Its gonna be around a while, and I am okay with that! A long as my favorite world full of Devil-fruit users, fish-men, giants, haki-users, cyborgs, fish-giants, devil fruit powered cyborgs, haki able devil fruit users, fish-men with devil fruit powers, and Wanze its aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall good.

And damn straight its popular! In some stores there are sections dedicated solely to One Piece media!

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

holy shitfuck that principal suplexed a deer

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

holy shitfuck that principal suplexed a deer
Oh just wait for the army on the blimp. Show gets weird as hell, but it's great.

Bones

Bones

why has no one picked this shit up for dubbing, I think they would kill it.

LittleSin

LittleSin

What anime are we talking about?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

What anime are we talking about?
http://www.crunchyroll.com/my-ordinary-life[DOUBLEPOST=1356548720][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh just wait for the army on the blimp. Show gets weird as hell, but it's great.
I just watched that. I used to be confused by it. I'm still confused by it, but I used to too.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I used to watch all my Anime on Crunshyroll,till they got all legit.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

My husband's gotten tired of One Piece, so now he's got me watching Slayers.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's a classic. It suffers a bit from the Tenchi Muyo syndrome of various revamps/sequels of questionable caliber, though.

Also I dunno how I feel about a dubbed Nichijou. I feel like it'd lose a lot of it's charm and possibly humor in English, like Trigun.

Bones

Bones

so working through more tsubasa chronicles, on disk 5 of 12 and wondering what new madness can come...

Covar

Covar

Watching Cross Game on Hulu, now that I've finished the manga. It's a very straightforward adaptation so there's not much to say on it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It's a classic. It suffers a bit from the Tenchi Muyo syndrome of various revamps/sequels of questionable caliber, though.

Also I dunno how I feel about a dubbed Nichijou. I feel like it'd lose a lot of it's charm and possibly humor in English, like Trigun.
Fuckin' LOVE Slayers! What sucks though is that it'd be almost impossible to be a completist of the series. What with Light novels, mangas, movies, all of which STILL haven't been translated yet over her.

Another old-school show I'd like to watch is "Kinnikuman". This, Dragonball, and Fist of the North Star are the basic templates for Shounen. I read the manga and I freakin' LOVED it. Shame that every single sub of it I find is in every language besides ENGLISH!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Yeah I'm really not digging Slayers so much. It's ok, but the characters annoy me.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fuckin' LOVE Slayers! What sucks though is that it'd be almost impossible to be a completist of the series. What with Light novels, mangas, movies, all of which STILL haven't been translated yet over her.
I'm going to have similar problems with Code Lyoko. The first series is out on DVD so that is all good, but the second series is just starting out and it has live action segments... French live action segments. So that's unlikely to get translated, meaning I'll have to get a sub online (assuming someone does it). The novels set after the first series though? Translated to half a dozen languages but English wasn't one of them.

Which is a shame, because Code Lyoko was basically the only good show on Maguzi, the weird follow-up to Toonami.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Which is a shame, because Code Lyoko was basically the only good show on Maguzi, the weird follow-up to Toonami.
This is true, hell if Toonami wasn't canned they could've put CL on there! Would've been better company than the crappy Canadian Moe-style cartoons they had on. Totally Spies is EVIL! And yet it still had 140 episodes, a spin-off, and a made for TV movie. The world is FUCKING cruel.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is true, hell if Toonami wasn't canned they could've put CL on there! Would've been better company than the crappy Canadian Moe-style cartoons they had on. Totally Spies is EVIL! And yet it still had 140 episodes, a spin-off, and a made for TV movie. The world is FUCKING cruel.
Totally Spies is the single most fetishy show I've ever seen. Muscular women, furries, BBWs, breast growth, plastic surgery addicts, lolis, school girls... they covered it all and I am convinced they were aware of what was going on. There is no way you could hit all of those topics with three girls in skin-tight spy suits and not have been planning it. I am honestly surprised CN showed every episode.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Totally Spies is the single most fetishy show I've ever seen. Muscular women, furries, BBWs, breast growth, plastic surgery addicts, lolis, school girls... they covered it all and I am convinced they were aware of what was going on. There is no way you could hit all of those topics with three girls in skin-tight spy suits and not have been planning it. I am honestly surprised CN showed every episode.
Also in one episode I remember they were a little TOO affectionate to their old as hell boss in one episode so...yeah kinda creepy. Spongebob got BUCKETS of controversy for him being possibly gay, but this show did something as creepy as this on a regular basis and yet nothing. Friggin' ridiculous.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Yeah I'm really not digging Slayers so much. It's ok, but the characters annoy me.
Get the hell out. Now.

Bones

Bones

before I forget I still have doubles of the first 9 volumes of you are under arrest! I am still entertaining offers on vols 1-9 as a set, sets of 3, or as singles. simply PM me if you are interested, I also have other things I am willing to sell if anyone is interested. I had some offers made initially but nothing came of it so posting this again to all my haunts to see if post Christmas there are any takers.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Get the hell out. Now.
It's fine. Everyone has their own tastes in media.

LordRendar

LordRendar

For people that like Azumanga Daioh,I wholeheartedly recommend reading "Yotsubato!".
It is tons of fun and the characters really grow on you.,

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Get the hell out. Now.
:fu:

Anyway, I watched a couple episodes of D. Gray-man. I don't get it yet, but I have a feeling that's all going to change if I just watch a few more.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've seen maybe 5-6 episodes of D Gray Man. It seems pretty cool, I just keep forgetting to go finish it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I couldn't get into D. Gray Man, Its a little cliche for me. Guy with cursed arm who fights demons, thats four or five cartoons I've seen all-ready! I will admit to liking the design of the villain though, all crazy and smiley lookin'.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Cant remember who recommded Jormungand here,and I am to lazy to look ( and high) but damn,is that anime fun.
Thank you for recommending it.

Wahad

Wahad

It was me. And it's about time somebody took me up on it. Second (and final, as far as I can tell) season ended a while ago. As a whole I think I enjoyed the first season more though.

Bones

Bones

I finally started on Kimagure Orange road, its actually kind of cute. The main character is a nice guy who seems to get caught up with trying to go steady with two girls in his class. The twist of his being from a family of psychics is also kind of a neat deal.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Speaking of forgetting to finish it, I need to go back to Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor. I loved the first series. Some of the second series was mixed up into the first when I watched it on Hulu so I've already seen a couple episodes but they weren't in any order. Talk about confusing.

drifter

drifter

Just a heads up if anyone's interested: 40% off Funi sale at Right Stuf.

Bones

Bones

I have seen and am making plans as we speak.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I am now at episode 500 of One Piece! Only 80 more to go!

Bones

Bones

So I finished Kimagure Orange Road, what an amazing show, very cute ending where the obvious choice is picked in the end. She is going to america and he is going to wait for her. After I finished the TV series I watched was C-the control and possibility of money. The show seemed to be about the darkness of greed and money, avarice and whatnot. However it ended on that no matter what if you spend your money on a dream it is always worthwhile. Now I am watching hanaukyo maid team, which is a funny, cute show about a middle school age boy who inherits the title of head of his family, his grandfathers giant mansion, and its giant team of beautiful maids that will do anything for him. This includes his crush Muriel, the head maid, who he turns red around almost continuously.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They FINALLY made a proper animated series of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure! Been around since 1986, and we are just now getting a proper cartoon. Ridiculous.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Juuuuuust started Fullmetal Alchemist. On Netflix, so it's dubbed, but it's a pretty good job, from what I've seen thus far!

Bones

Bones

Juuuuuust started Fullmetal Alchemist. On Netflix, so it's dubbed, but it's a pretty good job, from what I've seen thus far!
first or second series?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

First

Bones

Bones

cooool, I really enjoyed it when I watched it the first time.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, FMA is one of the rare anime with an excellent dubbing.

Kovac

Kovac

I'm rewatching Bleach since I only made it part way in last time - Around episode 100 or so.

I'm starting again from episode one since it has been such a long time since I watched those episodes.

Bones

Bones

one more disk of maid team and it is taking a dark dramatic turn which is kind of neat. I will probably watch the last disc after work today. I am not sure what to watch next in my pile after that, I might have to make a list of stuff and put it to a vote.
Lets see,
-Inuyasha
-Shakugan no Shana OVA
-Shakugan no Shana: The Movie
-Shakugan no Shana Season 2
-Code Geass R2
-Magical Girl Pretty Sammy
-A Certain Magical Index
-Kimagure Orange Road OVA/Movie boxset
-Armored troopers Votom

What should Bones watch next?

PS- I find it amusing as hell that I necroed this thread and got a bunch of new posts!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If you like old school mecha, Armored Troopers VOTOMs is a classic and well regarded for it's realistic takes of mecha. Visually it's not too impressive (it looks like the original GUNDAM series), but it has a decent plot and interesting art design.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I enjoyed Index, but don't watch the dub. The voices don't fit at all. It's one of the laziest dubs I've ever heard.

Bones

Bones

If you like old school mecha, Armored Troopers VOTOMs is a classic and well regarded for it's realistic takes of mecha. Visually it's not too impressive (it looks like the original GUNDAM series), but it has a decent plot and interesting art design.
You said that when I posted about fixing the boxset box too, I watched the first disc before I started on my road to mad getting my capstone written up.
I enjoyed Index, but don't watch the dub. The voices don't fit at all. It's one of the laziest dubs I've ever heard.
Now I HAVE to watch it dubbed.

So,
-Inuyasha
-Shakugan no Shana OVA
-Shakugan no Shana: The Movie
-Shakugan no Shana Season 2
-Code Geass R2
-Magical Girl Pretty Sammy
-A Certain Magical Index I
-Kimagure Orange Road OVA/Movie boxset
-Armored troopers Votom I

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Out of those I've only seen Shana s2, Geass R2 and Index. Of those three, I'd go Index, though Geass R2 isn't bad either. I watched Shana s2 out of obligation from the first season, but didn't really get into it.

Bones

Bones

I ended up going with Pretty Sammy, going to try to finish it so I can write my next review.

Kovac

Kovac

An impressive line in my most recent episode of Bleach.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Watching Robotic;Notes.It is pretty good with an interesting story and solid characters.

Rovewin

Rovewin

So Inuyasha was the first anime I ever watched and for years I enjoyed as each new episode came out but was really disappointed with its not really an ending end. A week or two ago I found out that some more were made called the Final Act.

I watched the first 2 episodes and they were so bad I don't think I can bear to watch anymore. I know Inuyasha had its bad episodes too so is this just a rough start for them getting back into the show or indicative of its overall quality.